NATION

PASSWORD

King’s Gambit Discussion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What is your opinion of the King’s Gambit?

It is risky, but an awesome aggressive opening for white.
100%
I sometimes play it, but its riskiness prevents me from playing it often.
No votes
It is too risky for me to play.
No votes

Total votes : 1

Third ZSeparatists
Envoy

Founded: Dec 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

King’s Gambit Discussion

Postby Third ZSeparatists » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:47 pm

What is the King’s Gambit?

The King’s Gambit is an aggressive chess opening that begins with the moves:

1. e4 e5 2.f4

The King’s Gambit is my favorite opening as white, and it is risky, but at the same time is offensive-minded and if used correctly, can give you an advantage, especially in the center. It is best for black to capture the pawn (2.exf4), and after that, my best move is 3. Bc4, which allows 3...Qh4+ and 4. Kf1, but has a stronger effect on the center and is better for me in general. 3.Nf3 can still fall to 3...Be7 and 4...Bh4+, which is why I don’t do that unless it is in a game where you can’t castle anyway. If black declines the gambit, I usually either pressure them to capture it with moves such as 3.Nf3, or, if black uses a countergambit like the Falkbeer (2...d5) I support the e-pawn if it is being attacked with 3.Nc3 or 3.d3 (former preferred) or, if they play 2...g5, I usually follow with 3. f5, because it advances into black’s territory without giving black a chance to gain an advantage.
The big (not) gay

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:36 pm

I'm a d4 guy myself. Against the King's Gambit I used to play the Falkbeer.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:42 pm

Third ZSeparatists wrote:What is the King’s Gambit?

The King’s Gambit is an aggressive chess opening that begins with the moves:

1. e4 e5 2.f4

The King’s Gambit is my favorite opening as white, and it is risky, but at the same time is offensive-minded and if used correctly, can give you an advantage, especially in the center. It is best for black to capture the pawn (2.exf4), and after that, my best move is 3. Bc4, which allows 3...Qh4+ and 4. Kf1, but has a stronger effect on the center and is better for me in general. 3.Nf3 can still fall to 3...Be7 and 4...Bh4+, which is why I don’t do that unless it is in a game where you can’t castle anyway. If black declines the gambit, I usually either pressure them to capture it with moves such as 3.Nf3, or, if black uses a countergambit like the Falkbeer (2...d5) I support the e-pawn if it is being attacked with 3.Nc3 or 3.d3 (former preferred) or, if they play 2...g5, I usually follow with 3. f5, because it advances into black’s territory without giving black a chance to gain an advantage.

NSG is not your blog.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Return to General