NATION

PASSWORD

Let's Discuss the Society Behind George Orwell's "1984"

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:53 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Eritrea is the country that broke away from Ethiopia and took the costline with them. Ethiopia was thriving till that point, so it makes you wonder to what extent landlockedness has fucked them over...

I mean, I would have looked it up, but I was asking because I thought it was some kind of a fictional nation. I didn't know there was a country named it.

But again that would have become clear if you had just looked it up in the first place.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:50 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
The Sapmi wrote:The issue with this idea is that the proles in 1984 didn't know of a better life, whilst citizens in East Germany saw their western counterparts thrive. Even presuming the world situation of 1984 as said by Oceania is correct, the borders between Oceania, Eurasia and Eastasia are split off by border territories, and most of that is likely in pure ruins.
I'd say the more likely centre of revolt is in these disputed territories; many slave revolts have occurred, and would require a global effort to contain. Who knows, maybe this is why the allegiences switch so often.

But the proles of the older generation would know a better life. They'd pass such stories on to their kids, until, after enough generations, there were rumours of a better life somewhere out there. Not to mention the proles sho work for party members directly, and directly see what luxuries they get.

They probably split up families. They destroyed the family unit, so that any crimethinkers would be betrayed by their children. Do you think they'd trust the ramblings of a man who they don't think of much? Besides, for all we know, all citizens of Oceania may go into Room 101 sometime in their lives. If Parsons was put in there, then so could any otherwise-law abiding citizens.
They probably forced the proles who work directly for the Inner Party to be celibate, or managed to get them to forget this entirely or believe it to be natural through some extreme doublethink or even that the servants are themselves inner party members doing a job.
News for March 2088:
International News: Growth of world market slowest since 2074 | European Federation announces complete unification to occur within the century | Hispaniola wins the 2088 World Cup, the first Carribean Nation to do so

Local News: Terrorist attack in Finnmark leads 84 dead, week of mourning instituted | Call for vote of no-confidence held off as Bjorn Handal's approval rate surges to 51%

The Rundown: The Saami Commonwealth is a nation located in Northern Scandinavia that declared independence in 2052. Factbooks are factual, most NationStates statistics are not

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:26 am

I just finished reading it a few days ago. The kind of society that is portrayed in the book I think is possible (and we have places in real life that have come close).
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:49 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:
I thought it was a fake nation, but it really exists. By the way, I wasn't asking you, so if you can step aside, that'd be great. :)

Eritrea is the country that broke away from Ethiopia and took the costline with them. Ethiopia was thriving till that point, so it makes you wonder to what extent landlockedness has fucked them over...

That's a funny way to describe the Derg.

Previous

Return to Arts & Fiction