NATION

PASSWORD

SUGGESTION: "Political Engagement" stat

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
User avatar
Eleuthernia
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 15
Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

SUGGESTION: "Political Engagement" stat

Postby Eleuthernia » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:52 pm

About two years ago, I made a post on this forum suggesting a stat opposite to political apathy, and I still think it's a good idea. At the time, people seemed to like the idea, but the thread died and it didn't seem to go anywhere, so I decided to revive the idea in another post.

I think a new statistic, opposite to political apathy, should be created to measure the populace's engagement with the political process. It could be called "political engagement," "activism," or even something related to voter turnout. Many statistics that people might to variously maximize or minimize already have opposites or near opposites, such as health/obesity, wealth gaps/income equality, corruption/integrity, etc. This rewards nations that specialize in one extreme or the other with a badge either way, for being in the top 10% or the bottom 10% roughly, depending on the stat/correlation.

Ultimately, I think that in a game about politics it would be good to have a stat that rewards nations for having low political apathy, and reflects the high interest/engagement/activism that this implies. Thoughts?

Link to my original post: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=436804

User avatar
Krusavich
Attaché
 
Posts: 68
Founded: Mar 19, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Krusavich » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:22 pm

Personally, I don't see the need for more "matching" stats. It's just clutter after a certain point.

Low political apathy says the same thing without the need for a whole new stat. I'd be a lot more in favor of giving trophies for the bottom 1% of stats.

User avatar
SherpDaWerp
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1165
Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:33 pm

Krusavich wrote:Personally, I don't see the need for more "matching" stats. It's just clutter after a certain point.

Low political apathy says the same thing without the need for a whole new stat. I'd be a lot more in favor of giving trophies for the bottom 1% of stats.

But you support literally doubling the number of trophies some nations will have... I'd call that more clutter than adding another stat.

I support this idea... Political Apathy is one of the really obvious ones that should definitely have an inverse, but doesn't, for some reason.
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dabarastan
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 144
Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Dabarastan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:56 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Krusavich wrote:Personally, I don't see the need for more "matching" stats. It's just clutter after a certain point.

Low political apathy says the same thing without the need for a whole new stat. I'd be a lot more in favor of giving trophies for the bottom 1% of stats.

But you support literally doubling the number of trophies some nations will have... I'd call that more clutter than adding another stat.

I support this idea... Political Apathy is one of the really obvious ones that should definitely have an inverse, but doesn't, for some reason.

I agree. I really didn't like the idea in the other thread of awarding badges for bottom 1%, 5% etc since so many stats already have inverse-stats (even more than mentioned in the OP). A political engagement stat is a nice, but probably not necessary, touch.

User avatar
Eleuthernia
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 15
Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Eleuthernia » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:00 pm

Dabarastan wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:But you support literally doubling the number of trophies some nations will have... I'd call that more clutter than adding another stat.

I support this idea... Political Apathy is one of the really obvious ones that should definitely have an inverse, but doesn't, for some reason.

I agree. I really didn't like the idea in the other thread of awarding badges for bottom 1%, 5% etc since so many stats already have inverse-stats (even more than mentioned in the OP). A political engagement stat is a nice, but probably not necessary, touch.

I think an inverse to political apathy would be more relevant than some of the other stats that already exist. In a game about politics, wouldn't it be good to make a point of noting which nations have the most politically engaged populations? I think it would be more meaningful than, say, "compliance" or "freedom from taxation"

User avatar
Ruotsaland
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 3
Founded: Sep 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruotsaland » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:03 pm

I'm down for this idea personally. Now that you mention it, it seems weird that it is only really being considered recently :unsure:

User avatar
Recuecn
Diplomat
 
Posts: 906
Founded: Feb 02, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Recuecn » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:03 am

I think this is a great idea too.
rəswɛsən

User avatar
Platinia
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 46
Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Platinia » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:07 am

I'm all for adding this stat as well. Makes sense for political apathy to have an inverse like some of the others out there.
Nation - Platinia | Leader - Sera | Canon Stats & Policies | Foreign Relations

Want an opinion on your nation or leader from Sera? Ask in my Q&A

Kill attempts on my characters are ignored. I do not kill anyone else's, so please show the respect for mine as I would show yours.
Nations with no/insufficient info on factbooks WILL be skipped. | Nations who post with low effort/single line posts WILL be foelisted.

User avatar
Gikyvernisi
Secretary
 
Posts: 40
Founded: Feb 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Gikyvernisi » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:13 am

yes
Inven wrote::o I switch my vote from McM to you (on my alts)!
Can you make one for me plz?
Pro: Social democracy, Capitalism with regulations, Ecologism, Centrism, Social Liberalism, Multiculturalism, Palestine, United Ireland, Syndicalism, Democracy, Feminism, Equity, Equality, Multi Party System, Democrats, EU, Secularism, Marijuana addiction as an illness, Marijuana legalization with regulations, LGBTQ+ rights.
Anti: Conservatism, Fascism, SJWs, Communism, Pure Capitalism, Extremism, Anarchism, USA, Republicans, Religion Radicalism, Racism, Theocracy, Absolute Monarchy, Globalization, Nationalism, Extreme Patriotism, War, Drugs, Trump's wall, Brexit, Cultural/Social right.
THEY ARE USING ALTS!
NSTRACKER NSECONOMY

User avatar
SherpDaWerp
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1165
Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:03 pm

Bumping this - a new inverse stat should require significantly less coding effort than any of the current betas, all it needs is to be based off whatever backstage stats currently determine Political Apathy.

User avatar
Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 1853
Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:02 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:Bumping this - a new inverse stat should require significantly less coding effort than any of the current betas, all it needs is to be based off whatever backstage stats currently determine Political Apathy.

The way I see it, the Patriotism beta is pretty similar to what this thread calls for.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - Card Player, 5x Issues Author, 5.5x SC Author, Editor

User avatar
SherpDaWerp
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1165
Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:08 pm

Noahs Second Country wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:Bumping this - a new inverse stat should require significantly less coding effort than any of the current betas, all it needs is to be based off whatever backstage stats currently determine Political Apathy.

The way I see it, the Patriotism beta is pretty similar to what this thread calls for.

IMHO, I disagree with that assessment. Patriotism is love for your country - you can love your country but be politically disengaged, and likewise you can be very politically engaged without actually loving your country.

Also, given the new Patriotism beta is apparently based off a new backstage stat (sauce), it's not really an inverse of Political Apathy, is it?

EDIT: Well, I guess you might actually know the intent of the beta, in which case I don't disagree with your assessment, rather I disagree with the idea that they are (or should be) the same, and I hope that the admins or the editors who are implementing the Patriotism beta don't think that Patriotism == Political Engagement.
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
SherpDaWerp
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1165
Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:34 pm

'nuvva bump...

With the Patriotism beta reaching public release, it's visible on quite a few nation pages that it's not really an inverse to Political Apathy, as was suggested.
I probably could find a low/low if I really tried, but those three examples took more time to copy links in than actually find them while a low/low might take a bit more searching. Once Val's new data trawl gets done we'll have more knowledge, but for now - it doesn't look like Patriotism is doing much the same job as a Political Engagement stat would.

User avatar
ALL HAIL GREATEST LEADER MENTA LEE-IL
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Jun 13, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby ALL HAIL GREATEST LEADER MENTA LEE-IL » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:12 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:'nuvva bump...

With the Patriotism beta reaching public release, it's visible on quite a few nation pages that it's not really an inverse to Political Apathy, as was suggested.
I probably could find a low/low if I really tried, but those three examples took more time to copy links in than actually find them while a low/low might take a bit more searching. Once Val's new data trawl gets done we'll have more knowledge, but for now - it doesn't look like Patriotism is doing much the same job as a Political Engagement stat would.

1. My hypothesis is that nations with restrictive freedom of the press or very non-opressive nations can have high patriotism/high apathy.

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 19946
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:11 pm

Government's types presumably would affect how far ordinary people could become "politically engaged", and might do so in ways that did not mirror the 'Political Apathy' stat.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Our population is approximately 20 million. We do have a national government, although its role is strictly limited. Economy = thriving. Those aren't "biker gangs", they're our traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies'... and are generally respected, not feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152.

User avatar
SherpDaWerp
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1165
Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:47 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Government's types presumably would affect how far ordinary people could become "politically engaged", and might do so in ways that did not mirror the 'Political Apathy' stat.

Perhaps the text could mention something like "how much the citizens want to be involved", separate to how much they actually can be. A cursory scroll through the top of the Political Apathy rankings shows quite a mixture of classifications at the top, although I don't think I could say low-political-freedom ones were particularly over-represented.

It's an interesting point, but I think already having a "Desired" political apathy stat that doesn't seem to take into account how much citizens can get involved means it shouldn't be a problem for this new stat to represent "how much citizens want to be involved, irrespective of how much they actually can be".

Come to think of it, if apathy doesn't have much correlation with political freedom, it begs the question - what other stats is it based on?


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Marxist Germany

Advertisement

Remove ads