NATION

PASSWORD

[CLOSED] Ban on the use of electric collars

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Anskerdank
Secretary

Founded: Jan 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

[CLOSED] Ban on the use of electric collars

Postby Anskerdank » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:33 am

Category: Moral Decency
Strength: Mild

The General Assembly,

Noting the adverse effects of an electric shock to many creatures’ health

Acknowledges that many electric collars are used solely for the purpose of keeping pets and/or humans within clear boundaries

Aware that abuse using electric collars is not only likely, but easy to commit

Also aware that, following many electric shocks, abusive or not, an animal can potentially perish

Hereby,

(1) Defines an electric collar as a collar worn by an animal or person as a which can give an electric shock to deter against leaving set boundaries

(2) Bans the sale and use of electric collars
Last edited by Anskerdank on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anskerdank
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Anskerdank » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:36 am

I will be updating this accordingly, until it is ready to submit.
COVID-19 Patient

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:51 am

One thread per topic. You already have one open.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Anskerdank
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Anskerdank » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:00 am

Grays Harbor wrote:One thread per topic. You already have one open.

Sorry, let me close the other one
COVID-19 Patient

Anskerdank
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Anskerdank » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:03 am

Anskerdank wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:One thread per topic. You already have one open.

Sorry, let me close the other one

Does it suffice to change it from Draft to Closed, or should I delete it?
COVID-19 Patient

Maraculand
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Maraculand » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:49 pm

electric collars used by paramedics to revive people? What even are you talking about my guy?

The COT Corporation
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2019
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The COT Corporation » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:03 pm

"We've left some possible improvements in red, ambassador. Of course, what we've added/removed is only a rough idea, so take it as you will"

Anskerdank wrote:Category: Moral Decency

The General Assembly,

Noting the many effects of an electric shock to an animal’s or human’s health (I would rephrase this: "Noting the adverse effects of an electric shock to the health of many creatures")

Acknowledges that many electric collars are used solely for the purpose of keeping pets and/or humans within clear boundaries

Also aware that, following many electric shocks, abusive or not, an animal can potentially perish

Hereby,

(1.) Defines an electric collar as a collar worn by an animal or person as a deterrent to leaving set boundaries (No, no no no. With this definition, it could be a leather collar attached to a rope. I would include something more... electric-ey.)

(2.) Clarifies that exceptional cases include:

a. Animals posing a danger to life, including but not limited to:
i. A guard/ untamed dog
ii. Birds of prey that potentially could injure a passerby (I wouldn't include this clause, or at least I would rephrase it. I'm also pretty sure that electric collars are often used for taming dogs, and that birds don't wear electric collars. I'd like to see a bird electrocuted mid air, though... haha.)

b. Use by paramedics, in the event of death, for use of an attempt to restore life (Paramedics would never use an electric collar over a defibrillator. Also, Grammar.)

(3.) Further clarifies that electric collars used for exceptional cases should only be set to the minimum amount required (What?)

(4.) Requires that to acquire an electric collar, a person must first pass a test, and gain a license I don't think a test is necessary. Also, Grammar.)

(5.) Bans the sale and use of electric collars, except as defined above (I would recommend elaboration.)

"We've only left very rough improvements, as we've said before - we'd like this proposal to be mostly in your hands."
- Juleas Brimstone, recently elected WA ambassador. Author of the proposal, Limitation of Inhumane Weaponry.

Anskerdank
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Anskerdank » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:04 am

Maraculand wrote:electric collars used by paramedics to revive people? What even are you talking about my guy?

Yeah, I will remove that
COVID-19 Patient

Anskerdank
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Anskerdank » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:10 am

The COT Corporation wrote:"We've left some possible improvements in red, ambassador. Of course, what we've added/removed is only a rough idea, so take it as you will"

Anskerdank wrote:Category: Moral Decency

The General Assembly,

Noting the many effects of an electric shock to an animal’s or human’s health (I would rephrase this: "Noting the adverse effects of an electric shock to the health of many creatures")

Hereby,

(1.) Defines an electric collar as a collar worn by an animal or person as a deterrent to leaving set boundaries (No, no no no. With this definition, it could be a leather collar attached to a rope. I would include something more... electric-ey.)

(2.) Clarifies that exceptional cases include:

a. Animals posing a danger to life, including but not limited to:
i. A guard/ untamed dog
ii. Birds of prey that potentially could injure a passerby (I wouldn't include this clause, or at least I would rephrase it. I'm also pretty sure that electric collars are often used for taming dogs, and that birds don't wear electric collars. I'd like to see a bird electrocuted mid air, though... haha.)

b. Use by paramedics, in the event of death, for use of an attempt to restore life (Paramedics would never use an electric collar over a defibrillator. Also, Grammar.)

(3.) Further clarifies that electric collars used for exceptional cases should only be set to the minimum amount required (What?)

(4.) Requires that to acquire an electric collar, a person must first pass a test, and gain a license I don't think a test is necessary. Also, Grammar.)

(5.) Bans the sale and use of electric collars, except as defined above (I would recommend elaboration.)

"We've only left very rough improvements, as we've said before - we'd like this proposal to be mostly in your hands."

Thank you, I have changed it accordingly based on your advice.
COVID-19 Patient

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:03 am

"Isn't this topic a little too... specific?" Cornelia Schultz asks. "I mean, the World Assembly hasn't even really prohibited Animal Cruelty in general last I checked, and we're getting down to banning specific types of animal collars?

"Not to mention I don't really buy your argument here that repeated electric shocks can lead to death. Maybe an electric current at a high enough amplitude could potentially kill an animal, but it's certainly possible to make an electric shock that can be unpleasant and not in any way life threatening. Shock collars don't have to disable your muscles or anything like some non-lethal weapons, and don't have to be extremely painful like a stun gun. They just have to be shocking."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly