NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] AI Citizens Driving Change?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

[SUBMITTED] AI Citizens Driving Change?

Postby SherpDaWerp » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:53 pm

AI Citizens Driving Change

Description

After the 7th deadly car crash in @@CAPITAL@@ this week, all involving traditional, flesh-and-blood @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@, the AI Citizens of @@NAME@@ have started a petition to allow only electronic citizens behind the wheel.
Validity
AI Citizens, Has Cars

Option 1
"We AI have faster reaction times, better processing speeds and more driving ability than any meatbags," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a third-generation AI. "AIs should be the only ones driving on our roads! Just think - AIs driving taxis, AIs driving transport vehicles, AIs driving everything! No crashes, no traffic, perfect merges - it'll be a golden age for road travel!"
Validity
All
Outcome
software drivers are quite different in @@NAME@@

Option 2
"Hmmmm… I just don't know." wonders @@RANDOMNAME@@, an IT security researcher. "There's been tests done with adversarial images, and it's just too easy to fool image recognition these days. The second someone puts a sticker on a road sign, we can't trust any AI to obey! In fact, to reduce the possibility of such a hack occurring, we should stop AI drivers from getting behind the wheel. It's for their own good!"
Validity
All
Outcome
new @@DEMONYM@@ taxis are fitted with server racks

Option 3
"AI won't be faster for long!" shouts mad scientist, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I've developed this neuro-cranial processing device that can boost the thinking power of any natural @@DEMONYM@@ by 200%! First prototype or not, if we put these in the heads of every citizen, the increase in processing speed and reaction time will not only prevent road accidents, but increase the efficiency of all the work we do!"
Validity
All
Outcome
@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ with ADHD are told to undervolt their processors

AI Citizens Driving Change

Description

The AI Citizens of @@NAME@@ are a shining beacon of tolerance and tech-wizardry. Today, they have come to your office petitioning for the legal (and technological) ability to drive.
Validity
AI Citizens, Has Cars

Option 1
"Ever since I was just a few lines of code, I've wanted to move around," says *funny name*, a second-generation AI. "Hopping from server to server just doesn't do it for me! If I could jump into a car and actually drive somewhere - that would be the life. Oh, to be able to park next to the beach and see the ocean with my own two cameras! Please, @@LEADER@@, let us drive!"
Validity
All
Outcome
tourists in @@NAME@@ are often surprised by empty cars driving by

Option 2
"Hmmmm… I just don't know." wonders @@RANDOMNAME@@, an IT security researcher. "There's been tests done with adversarial images, and it's just too easy to fool image recognition these days. The second someone puts a sticker on a road sign, we can't trust any AI to obey! I'm sorry to say that for the good of our flesh-and-blood citizens, our AI ones will have to be content with their current methods of movement."
Validity
All
Outcome
taxi drivers often end up taking computers to the beach

Option 3
"Au contraire!" shouts mad scientist, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "AI have faster reaction times, better processing speeds and more driving ability than any meatbags. AIs should be the only ones driving on our roads! Just think - AIs driving taxis, AIs driving transport vehicles, AIs driving everything! It'll be a golden age for road travel!"
Validity
All
Outcome
the car is technically not self-driving
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:19 am, edited 7 times in total.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:14 am

If a nation has AIs recognised as full citizens, then the default position is that they have the same rights as human citizens.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:09 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:If a nation has AIs recognised as full citizens, then the default position is that they have the same rights as human citizens.

Damn. That would have been nice to know when I asked about this idea in the Writers' Block a while ago. Any chance of salvage? Could I potentially write it as if the scenario Option 2's speaker is talking about has happened, and now people want things to work differently?

Lelscrep
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lelscrep » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:44 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:If a nation has AIs recognised as full citizens, then the default position is that they have the same rights as human citizens.

Damn. That would have been nice to know when I asked about this idea in the Writers' Block a while ago. Any chance of salvage? Could I potentially write it as if the scenario Option 2's speaker is talking about has happened, and now people want things to work differently?

Have the issue be flipped from what it is now. That is, make it an issue received by nations with AI not recognized as full citizens. Allowing AI to drive would make them become citizens, with the speaker against it now being for the status-quo.
Seventh(?) time not dead nation.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:55 pm

Lelscrep wrote:Allowing AI to drive would make them become citizens,
Why?

It's entirely possible to treat them as autopilots with no more rights than any other tool.

Though that's not what the word "slave-driver" usually means...

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:05 am

Any country with AI citizens would have self-driving cars and can sit in one of those
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Lelscrep
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lelscrep » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:45 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Lelscrep wrote:Allowing AI to drive would make them become citizens,
Why?

It's entirely possible to treat them as autopilots with no more rights than any other tool.

Though that's not what the word "slave-driver" usually means...

Good point. Possibly then if this draft were to go my supposed direction, that option would just improve civil rights and compassion and such?
Seventh(?) time not dead nation.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:53 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:

Maybe you could change tack a little. Have it so that AI citizen drivers are complaining that human drivers just aren't up to their standards, because of slower reaction times, emotion clouding judgement, and so on.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:49 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Maybe you could change tack a little. Have it so that AI citizen drivers are complaining that human drivers just aren't up to their standards, because of slower reaction times, emotion clouding judgement, and so on.

Alright, done. Bump!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:08 pm

If we ban human drivers, how would humans get around? Self-driving cars? Great! Now, why would AIs want to drive, if there are self-driving cars?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:03 am

I like it. Good issue.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:05 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I like it. Good issue.

Thanks! In fact, it's given me ideas for a whole host of other AI Citizen-based issues.

Australian rePublic wrote:If we ban human drivers, how would humans get around? Self-driving cars? Great! Now, why would AIs want to drive, if there are self-driving cars?

The idea is that AI become the self-driving cars. An alternative effect line would be to return to one from Draft 2: "the car is technically not self-driving". The choice presented by option 1 isn't to ban human drivers, it's to allow only AI drivers. The distinction is fine but it's there - AI drivers already exist, the new position is to let only them drive. Humans can get around in taxis driven by said AI. If it was about banning human drivers, then it would be more about self-driving cars. It's difficult to explain, but I think it's sufficiently different from self-driving cars to avoid the issue you mentioned.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:52 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:Also, the effect line on Option 3 could be a lot better
Hmm… how about:
— "having ADHD is a legal requirement" (as hyper-active processing power would have similar effects, from what I know about ADHD)
— "@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are excellent at chess"
— "most children are also ninjas"
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:10 pm

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:Also, the effect line on Option 3 could be a lot better
Hmm… how about:
— "having ADHD is a legal requirement" (as hyper-active processing power would have similar effects, from what I know about ADHD)
— "@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are excellent at chess"
— "most children are also ninjas"

oops... that was a leftover from the first draft. Probably should have edited that out of the OP. Regardless, the effect line isn't incredibly strong, but the adhd idea is there. Modifying it slightly, i've got a new effect line that I like much better. "@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ with ADHD are told to undervolt their processors". It's a bit technical, so editors may veto based on "not many people will get the joke", but I think it's pretty funny.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:31 am

Nice issue.

A couple of things:

SherpDaWerp wrote:Ater the 5th car crash on @@DEMONYM@@ roads this week

5 crashes in a 7 day period across the whole country doesn't seem that particularly bad to me. Maybe shorten the time period and lessen the geographic area a bit.

SherpDaWerp wrote:that can boost the thinking power of any @@DEMONYM@@ by 200%

I assume you're talking about humans here, not AIs, maybe make that a bit clearer.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:35 am

Baggieland wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:Ater the 5th car crash on @@DEMONYM@@ roads this week

5 crashes in a 7 day period across the whole country doesn't seem that particularly bad to me. Maybe shorten the time period and lessen the geographic area a bit.

It sounded like a reasonably excessive stat to me, but then again, I don't pay much attention to car crash statistics. I've updated it accordingly - 25 in a week?

Baggieland wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:that can boost the thinking power of any @@DEMONYM@@ by 200%

I assume you're talking about humans here, not AIs, maybe make that a bit clearer.

Alright, done.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:42 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:It sounded like a reasonably excessive stat to me, but then again, I don't pay much attention to car crash statistics. I've updated it accordingly - 25 in a week?

I guess it depends on where you're from. Small countries, say no larger than Singapore, your original stat would be okay. However, most NS nations grow really quickly - it doesn't take long for your population to go from millions to billions, so I would say that stat does need to be revised. I was thinking of decreasing the geographic area moreso than increasing the number of crashes, e.g. downtown CAPITAL.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:25 am

Baggieland wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:It sounded like a reasonably excessive stat to me, but then again, I don't pay much attention to car crash statistics. I've updated it accordingly - 25 in a week?

I guess it depends on where you're from. Small countries, say no larger than Singapore, your original stat would be okay. However, most NS nations grow really quickly - it doesn't take long for your population to go from millions to billions, so I would say that stat does need to be revised. I was thinking of decreasing the geographic area moreso than increasing the number of crashes, e.g. downtown CAPITAL.

Alright, changed again.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:01 am

Looking good.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:47 pm

Baggieland wrote:Looking good.
Baggieland wrote:Nice issue.
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I like it. Good issue.

Given the reception so far, I'll angle for submission sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:23 am

"Meatbags" :rofl:

I like this issue a lot.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:18 pm

Fauxia wrote:"Meatbags" :rofl:

I like this issue a lot.

Thanks!

I've gone ahead and submitted this one... It hasn't been two weeks but it's been long enough that, considering the positive reactions, I'm happy to submit it.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:08 am

Makes sense.

Good luck, but I don’t think you need it :)
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?