NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] The Lesser of Two Weevils

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Makdon
Envoy

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] The Lesser of Two Weevils

Postby Makdon » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:18 am

I got this idea from aussie's list of issue ideas to be stolen, so thanks and credit to him!
Title: Sickened by Quarantine

Description: A recent outbreak of Bigtopian mumps believed to have been brought into it the country by a tourists snacks have infected @@NAME@@ with argument over quarantine laws.

Option 1: “There seems to be only one good solution to this” your health minister @@RANDOMNAME@@ says, before going to into a coughing fit. As he recovers, he begins to speak again “These mumps have taken a great toll on mysel- our nation. All food being brought in should be quarantined to immunize @@NAME@@ from incidents like this happening again”

Effect: foreign visitors are often pulled aside for questioning in airport security after crumbs are discovered in their bags

Option 2: “What!” cries your minister of tourism, wearing a floral shirt @@HE@@ purchased on @@HIS@@ recent trip to Bigtopia. “That’d destroy our tourism industry! Instead, we should deal with the real problem, our healthcare. Then we can encourage more Bigtopians to come and share their culture with us! While we’re at it, why not lower tariffs on their products too?”

Effect: bigtopian products are so cheap that even overworked government ministers can afford them

Option 3: “Y'all are missing the real problem here” drawls your minister of rural affairs “It’s these Bigtopians we need to get rid of! Those vile bigwigs shouldn’t be allowed in our nation at all”

Effect: airport security decides which foreigners enter the nation based on how “crooked” they look
Title: Sickened by Quarantine

Description: A recent outbreak of Bigtopian mumps believed to have been brought into it the country by a visitor carrying a traditional Bigtopian rice dish have infected @@NAME@@ with argument over quarantine laws.

Option 1: “There seems to be only one good solution to this” your health minister @@RANDOMNAME@@ says, before going into a coughing fit. As he recovers, he begins to speak again “These mumps have taken a great toll on mysel- our nation. All food being brought in should be quarantined and heavily tested for viruses to immunize @@NAME@@ from incidents like this happening again”

Effect: foriegn visitors are often pulled aside for questioning in airport security after crumbs are discovered in their bags

Option 2: “What!” cries your minister of tourism, wearing a floral shirt @@HE@@ purchased on @@HIS@@ recent trip to Bigtopia, which had all expenses paid by the Bigtopian government. “That’d destroy our tourism industry! Instead, we should deal with the real problem, our healthcare. Then we can encourage more Bigtopians to come and share their culture with us! While we’re at it, why not lower tariffs on their products too?”

Effect: bigtopian products are so cheap that even overworked government ministers can afford them

Option 3: “Y'all are missing the real problem here” drawls your minister of rural affairs “It’s these Bigtopians we need to get rid of! Those vile bigwigs shouldn’t be allowed in our nation at all”

Effect: airport security decides which foreigners enter the nation based on how “crooked” they look
Title: The Lesser of Two Weevils

Description: A recent outbreak of Bigtopian weevils believed to have been brought into the country by a visitor carrying common Bigtopian maxberries have both devastated farms and infected @@NAME@@ with argument over quarantine laws.

Option 1: “There seems to be only one good solution to this” your agricultural minister @@RANDOMNAME@@ says, before beginning to snore. Snapping awake, he rubs blinks his red eyes and rubs the dark lines beneath, and then starts again “These pests have taken a great toll on mysel- our nation. All food being brought in should be quarantined and heavily tested for threats to immunize @@NAME@@ from incidents like this happening again”

Effect: foriegn visitors are often pulled aside for questioning in airport security after crumbs are discovered in their bags

Option 2: “What!” cries your minister of tourism, wearing a floral shirt @@HE@@ purchased on @@HIS@@ recent trip to Bigtopia, which had all expenses paid by the Bigtopian government. “That’d destroy our tourism industry! Instead, we should deal with the real problem, lazy government officials who aren’t focused on their jobs. Then we can encourage more Bigtopians to come and share their culture with us! While we’re at it, why not lower tariffs on their products too?”

Description: A recent outbreak of Bigtopian weevils believed to have been brought into the country by a visitor carrying common Bigtopian maxberries have both devastated farms and infected @@NAME@@ with arguments over quarantine laws.

Option 1: “There seems to be only one good solution to this.” your agricultural minister @@RANDOMNAME@@ says, before beginning to snore. Snapping awake, he blinks his red eyes and rubs the dark lines beneath them, and then starts again. “These pests have taken a great toll on mysel- our nation. @@NAME@@ needs much stricter quarantine laws to immunize @@NAME@@ from incidents like this happening again”

Effect: foreign visitors are often pulled aside for questioning in airport security after crumbs are discovered in their bags

Option 2: “What!” cries your minister of tourism, wearing a floral shirt @@HE@@ purchased on @@HIS@@ recent trip to Bigtopia, which had all expenses paid by the Bigtopian government. “That’d destroy our tourism industry! Lazy government officials like @@RANDOMNAME1@@ are the real problem. If @@HE@@ could just work a bit harder and handle this, there wouldn’t be a problem at all. Then we can encourage more Bigtopians to come and share their culture with us! While we’re at it, why not lower tariffs on their products too?”

Option 3: “Y'all are missing the real problem here.” drawls your minister of rural affairs. “It’s these Bigtopians we need to get rid of! Those vile bigwigs shouldn’t be allowed in our nation at all.”

Description: A recent outbreak of Bigtopian weevils, believed to have been brought into the country by a visitor carrying common Bigtopian maxberries, has both devastated farms and infected @@NAME@@ with arguments over quarantine laws.

Option 1: “There seems to be only one good solution to this.” says your agricultural minister @@RANDOMNAME@@, before beginning to snore. Snapping awake, he blinks his red eyes and rubs the dark lines beneath them, then starts again. “These pests have taken a great toll on mysel- our nation. @@NAME@@ needs much stricter quarantine laws to immunize @@NAME@@ from incidents like this happening again. In fact, why not ban all foriegn berries!”

Effect: foreign visitors are often sentenced to life imprisonment for attempting to smuggle berries across the border

Option 2: “What!” cries your minister of tourism, wearing a floral shirt emboldened with the words “I love Bigtopia” @@HE@@ purchased on @@HIS@@ recent sumptuous trip to Bigtopia. “That’d destroy our tourism industry! Lazy government officials like @@RANDOMNAME1@@ are the real problem. If @@HE@@ could just work a bit harder and handle this, there wouldn’t be a problem at all. Then we can encourage more Bigtopians to come and share their culture with us! While we’re at it, why not lower tariffs on their products too?”

Effect: Bigtopian products are so cheap that even overworked government ministers can afford them

Option 3: “Y'all are missing the real problem here.” drawls your minister of rural affairs. “It’s these Bigtopians we need to get rid of! Those vile bigwigs shouldn’t be allowed in our nation at all. Border control workers should have the authority to refuse entry to any visitors they think might be unsavory.”

Effect: airport security decides which foreigners enter the nation based on how crooked they look
Last edited by Makdon on Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:57 am, edited 11 times in total.
⁝ Former World Assembly Officer of The Rejected Realms ⁝ 2 x SCR author ⁝ Question Mark ⁝

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:45 am

Not even Australia, the most over-zealous, over-the-top country when it comes to quarantine bans snacks. Snacks don't harbour disease, snacks don't harbour pests. Also, why does the tourism minister desire to lower Bigtopian tariffs?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Makdon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:31 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Not even Australia, the most over-zealous, over-the-top country when it comes to quarantine bans snacks. Snacks don't harbour disease, snacks don't harbour pests. Also, why does the tourism minister desire to lower Bigtopian tariffs?

I've changed it from snacks to steak, as that is blocked by Australia's quarantine laws, I'd imagine due to risk of something being carried in them. Does that seem to have verisimilitude? As to the tariffs thing, I was thinking that tourism minister was corrupt, but I guess I didn't really make that clear. I've tried to rewrite it to make that clear. Thanks for the advice!
⁝ Former World Assembly Officer of The Rejected Realms ⁝ 2 x SCR author ⁝ Question Mark ⁝

Makdon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:07 am

bump, I guess

ShanaKOC
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Steaks or Snacks

Postby ShanaKOC » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:07 pm

Wouldn't it be unavailable to vegetarian countries?

Makdon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:58 pm

ShanaKOC wrote:Wouldn't it be unavailable to vegetarian countries?

Good point. I could change the validity, but I wish there was something that would work for all
Edit: I'm actually not sure whether vegetarianism would block it, since it's so foreign visitor? I guess it'd probably get taken in customs, though
Last edited by Makdon on Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:16 am

Makdon wrote:
ShanaKOC wrote:Wouldn't it be unavailable to vegetarian countries?

Good point. I could change the validity, but I wish there was something that would work for all
Edit: I'm actually not sure whether vegetarianism would block it, since it's so foreign visitor? I guess it'd probably get taken in customs, though

Just change it from steak to rice, or wheat, or fruit, or any other non-meat, non-snack food product. Pretty sure Australia's customs stop you from bringing in large quantities of fruit, although that might just be domestically through the "fruit fly exclusion zones".
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Makdon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:51 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:Just change it from steak to rice, or wheat, or fruit, or any other non-meat, non-snack food product. Pretty sure Australia's customs stop you from bringing in large quantities of fruit, although that might just be domestically through the "fruit fly exclusion zones".

Thanks! I've changed it to rice, which seems like a good fix, but I do wonder whether that still makes sense to have be an sickness, or if some sort of agricultural effect would make more sense?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:16 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Makdon wrote:Good point. I could change the validity, but I wish there was something that would work for all

Just change it from steak to rice, or wheat, or fruit, or any other non-meat, non-snack food product. Pretty sure Australia's customs stop you from bringing in large quantities of fruit, although that might just be domestically through the "fruit fly exclusion zones".

You can't bring any fruit to Australia. Forget about large quantities, you can't even bring in a single, individual grape. Not sure about rice, though
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Makdon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:59 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:You can't bring any fruit to Australia. Forget about large quantities, you can't even bring in a single, individual grape. Not sure about rice, though

Commercially packaged white rice (including arborio, basmati, calrose and jasmine rice) is permitted without an import permit. The rice must be inspected by a biosecurity officer to confirm that it is free from viable grain, live insects, other seeds, soil, disease symptoms and other biosecurity risk.

Brown rice is not permitted unless accompanied by a valid import permit.

For more information about different types of rice please see BICON.

If the product does not comply with the conditions above it will be exported or destroyed at the importer’s expense
rice seems like it could work, though it seems a bit more technical than fruit, so I'll change it to be as safe as possible. I think I'll also change it to an agricultural thing instead of a sickness when I have time later this week
Last edited by Makdon on Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Makdon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:43 pm

Finally got around to working on this. I've made some pretty major changes, shifting the focus from sickness to pests. Any and all advice would be appreciated

Apabeossie
Envoy

Founded: Jun 04, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Apabeossie » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:17 pm

Makdon wrote:

Description: A recent outbreak of Bigtopian weevils believed to have been brought into the country by a visitor carrying common Bigtopian maxberries have both devastated farms and infected @@NAME@@ with argument over quarantine laws.

Option 1: “There seems to be only one good solution to this” your agricultural minister @@RANDOMNAME@@ says, before beginning to snore. Snapping awake, he rubs blinks his red eyes and rubs the dark lines beneath, and then starts again “These pests have taken a great toll on mysel- our nation. All food being brought in should be quarantined and heavily tested for threats to immunize @@NAME@@ from incidents like this happening again”

Option 2: “What!” cries your minister of tourism, wearing a floral shirt @@HE@@ purchased on @@HIS@@ recent trip to Bigtopia, which had all expenses paid by the Bigtopian government. “That’d destroy our tourism industry! Instead, we should deal with the real problem, lazy government officials who aren’t focused on their jobs. Then we can encourage more Bigtopians to come and share their culture with us! While we’re at it, why not lower tariffs on their products too?”

1. I don't really know why lazy government officials have anything to do with this issue.
2. A lot of sentences are missing punctuation.
3. Spelling errors, foriegn -> foreign and argument -> arguments.
4. Minor problem that you don't really need to fix: "mysel- our nation" seems a bit confusing. (also "what?" might work better than "what!" in option 2.)
Other than that, not too bad, although you might need better feedback from other people.
✵ Your guide to Apabeossie ✵
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” -Les Mis Finale

Yahlia wrote:Surely everyone likes penguins? Who doesn't like penguins? I refuse to believe there are people out there who have an opinion of them worse than 'indifferent'

Einswenn wrote:For me it always was and is obscure why would people be so blind and shortsighted to allow themselves unsolicited hate. I’ve already posted this before: take care of your own life, live your own life, and don’t tell the others how they should live theirs

Dizgovzy wrote:Please go read a book or play outside instead of spending your youth behind a computer screen. Don’t waste your time on this site.

New Skandenivia wrote:AFAB ❌
AMAB ❌
Apab ✅

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:05 am

Decent issue. I'd suggest looking at the options and the set-up, and writing it to be linguistically ambiguous about what quarantine laws are currently in place, in order to preserve player autonomy and to create more universally applicable narratives. For example, phrase things as "tighter quarantine measures" or "loosening of restrictions" rather than stating absolute positions for option proposals.

Also, that title is fantastic.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Makdon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:32 am

Apabeossie wrote:1. I don't really know why lazy government officials have anything to do with this issue.
2. A lot of sentences are missing punctuation.
3. Spelling errors, foriegn -> foreign and argument -> arguments.
4. Minor problem that you don't really need to fix: "mysel- our nation" seems a bit confusing. (also "what?" might work better than "what!" in option 2.)
Other than that, not too bad, although you might need better feedback from other people.

1- this was meant to be a hypocritical snipe the tourism minister was making at the agricultural minister, I've tried to make that much more clear by rewriting much of options 1 and 2.
2-tried to get all of that in
3- fixed both of those
4- I've left both of those as is, I feel that they serve the purpose of issue a bit better.
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Decent issue. I'd suggest looking at the options and the set-up, and writing it to be linguistically ambiguous about what quarantine laws are currently in place, in order to preserve player autonomy and to create more universally applicable narratives. For example, phrase things as "tighter quarantine measures" or "loosening of restrictions" rather than stating absolute positions for option proposals.

Also, that title is fantastic.

I've changed option 1 to be more ambigous, I'm curious if you think the others need to be changed as well. Also, I was't sure if you meant something more by "looking at the options and the set-up". Thanks about the title! :blush:
Thanks for the advice!
Last edited by Makdon on Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bormiar
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bormiar » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:05 pm

I really like this one!

Bormiar
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bormiar » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:47 pm

Makdon wrote:Description: A recent outbreak of Bigtopian weevils believed to have been brought into the country by a visitor carrying common Bigtopian maxberries have both devastated farms and infected @@NAME@@ with arguments over quarantine laws.

I had to read this twice cause the first bit sounded a little shaky.
"A recent outbreak of Bigtopian weevils, believed to have been caused by a visitor carrying common Bigtopia maxberries, has both devastated farms and infected @@NAME@@ with arguments over quarantine laws.

Makdon wrote:Option 1: “There seems to be only one good solution to this, says your agricultural minister @@RANDOMNAME@@, before beginning to snore. Snapping awake, he blinks his red eyes and rubs the dark lines beneath them, and then starts again. “These pests have taken a great toll on mysel- our nation. @@NAME@@ needs much stricter quarantine laws to immunize @@NAME@@ from incidents like this happening again”

Bolded grammatical change. I think this needs to include some problem with his suggestion. For example, "We can get by on @@DENONYM@@ berries! Ban foreign berries from crossing the border!"

Makdon wrote:Effect: foreign visitors are often pulled aside for questioning in airport security after crumbs are discovered in their bags

This may change from the above suggestion

Makdon wrote:Option 2: “What!” cries your minister of tourism, wearing a floral shirt @@HE@@ purchased on @@HIS@@ recent trip to Bigtopia, which had all expenses paid by the Bigtopian government. “That’d destroy our tourism industry! Lazy government officials like @@RANDOMNAME1@@ are the real problem. If @@HE@@ could just work a bit harder and handle this, there wouldn’t be a problem at all. Then we can encourage more Bigtopians to come and share their culture with us! While we’re at it, why not lower tariffs on their products too?”

I like this one, but how do you know it was paid for by Bigtopia? How about "donning an 'I love Bigtopia' shirt from his recent lavish vacation"?

Makdon wrote:Effect: bigtopian products are so cheap that even overworked government ministers can afford them

This is funny. Needs period and bigtopian ==> Bigtopian.

Makdon wrote:Option 3: “Y'all are missing the real problem here.” drawls your minister of rural affairs. “It’s these Bigtopians we need to get rid of! Those vile bigwigs shouldn’t be allowed in our nation at all.”

Again, there doesn't seem to be consequence here. How are they going to stop them? How are they going to figure out which ones are Bigtopian? Etc.

One more thing: I believe you can't use smart quotes in issues.

Makdon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:57 am

Bormiar wrote:I had to read this twice cause the first bit sounded a little shaky.
"A recent outbreak of Bigtopian weevils, believed to have been caused by a visitor carrying common Bigtopia maxberries, has both devastated farms and infected @@NAME@@ with arguments over quarantine laws.
done
Bolded grammatical change. I think this needs to include some problem with his suggestion. For example, "We can get by on @@DENONYM@@ berries! Ban foreign berries from crossing the border!"
This is a great idea!
I like this one, but how do you know it was paid for by Bigtopia? How about "donning an 'I love Bigtopia' shirt from his recent lavish vacation"?
This too! I've added them both.
This is funny. Needs period and bigtopian ==> Bigtopian.
changed, though not adding a period, as I'm pretty sure they're not put in effect lines.
Again, there doesn't seem to be consequence here. How are they going to stop them? How are they going to figure out which ones are Bigtopian? Etc.
changed it.
One more thing: I believe you can't use smart quotes in issues.
I'll leave this in till I check the rules, or hear something more definitive.
Thanks so much for the feedback!

Makdon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:25 pm

I will be submitting this in a bit over a week from now if I receive no further feedback. Thanks to all that have given any :D

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:17 am

Makdon wrote:
Bormiar wrote:One more thing: I believe you can't use smart quotes in issues.
I'll leave this in till I check the rules, or hear something more definitive.
Thanks so much for the feedback!

I think he's right. Pretty sure straight quotes/apostrophes ( ' " ) are the way to go…
And as for the issue content… what stat effect would #1 bring? I think giving it a clear effect will help players know if they should pick it. (Like mentioning something about how foreign berries are used a lot in medicine… this would create a decrease in health.)
Players often are working toward stat goals, and so an option with no clear stat change is a dismiss button in effect, if not thematically.
Last edited by Authoritaria-Imperia on Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

Makdon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:55 pm

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:I think he's right. Pretty sure straight quotes/apostrophes ( ' " ) are the way to go…
And as for the issue content… what stat effect would #1 bring? I think giving it a clear effect will help players know if they should pick it. (Like mentioning something about how foreign berries are used a lot in medicine… this would create a decrease in health.)
Players often are working toward stat goals, and so an option with no clear stat change is a dismiss button in effect, if not thematically.
I’ve removed the quotes. As for stats, I really don’t feel the same way. I can think of a number of stats, such as black market, safety, tourism, etc, that would be effected. If others have the same opinion as you, I’ll probably change it, but as is I don’t see a problem
Last edited by Makdon on Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Makdon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:31 am

If no one has more thoughts on this, I will be submitting it tomorrow. Thanks for all the help :D

Makdon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:57 am

I have submitted this

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:11 am

Good Luck!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:54 am

Good luck!
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?