NATION

PASSWORD

Question about the Factbook and Offensive Imagery

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
North Courland
Civilian

Founded: Jan 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Question about the Factbook and Offensive Imagery

Postby North Courland » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:37 pm

This isn't my first Nation, but it is the first that I'm planning on building up on a bunch. That of course, goes for its history as well.

The issue is that the country started off as the last remnants of the Wehrmacht, see the Courland Pocket, and became a partially western-backed thorn on the USSRs side.

Because of that, there is going to have to be atleast a brief period between when they decided to disregard the orders of surrender from Berlin, and when they decide that dropping the whole genocide shtick is a worthwhile investment to get western support and to not die by the Red Army.

Now, the Nation in its current state is not any sort of fascist, and neither am I one irl, but it's very likely that they'd use a swastika or similarly offensive symbol on their flags at that time, and unfortunately i happen to be a huge flag nerd, and want to include the evolution of my flag in my Factbooks, which will have to include such symbols.

The Rules say that using these kinds of symbols on flags with the intention of honoring them is banned, and I agree with that. But I'm only planning to do this as flavor for my page, not to honor them. Would this be an issue? Apologies if this isn't the right place for this.

Thanks in advance.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:45 pm

The imagery itself is technically not banned. The onus is on the player to clearly show to others that the use of, in your case, swastika is not meant to advance the Nazi cause.

I think if the factbook states that it shows the flag's evolution, it shouldn't be a problem.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:22 pm

Topic moved given this is a rules-related question.

North Courland wrote:Now, the Nation in its current state is not any sort of fascist, and neither am I one irl, but it's very likely that they'd use a swastika or similarly offensive symbol on their flags at that time, and unfortunately i happen to be a huge flag nerd, and want to include the evolution of my flag in my Factbooks, which will have to include such symbols.

The Rules say that using these kinds of symbols on flags with the intention of honoring them is banned, and I agree with that. But I'm only planning to do this as flavor for my page, not to honor them. Would this be an issue? Apologies if this isn't the right place for this.

As a refresher, please review our malicious content policy. In practice this will prohibit the utilization of the hakenkreuz/Nazi swastika on your actual nation flag, as there are very few ways to interpret the Nazi hakenkreuz in that context other than an endorsement of their policies (read: malicious).

That said. Including a simple set of flags in your factbook, which may include the Nazi hakenkreuz, and its historical, In-Character divergence from such, would generally be acceptable. We don't routinely delete factbooks/dispatches that simply contain these unless there is indication of malicious use, as per our policy, since we don't ban any specific set of pixels. As Diarcesia said though: the onus is on you, the player, to make sure its usage is not malicious; we will, of course, review each case and their context(s) individually.

For the forums: the threshold is, again, malicious use. Including the hakenkreuz in a forum factbook (or other roleplay post) would have to meet the same threshold of "clearly not maliciously intended."

Hope that helps.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Return to Moderation