NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] subsidising university education

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Ilmarene
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

[ABANDONED] subsidising university education

Postby Ilmarene » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:03 am

The General Assembly,
Recognizing that university education is one of the most important factors in determining someone's income and standard of living;
Observing that many are forced to not attend a university due to extremely high admission prices;
Understanding that many states have the capacity to subsidise universities but choose not to;
Hereby mandates that if a state is determined to be able to maintain a reasonable budget with the expense of the following clauses by and independent commission of economists they must:
a) Pay for at least 75% of a student who is unable to afford admission expenses relating directly to university attendance
b) Create a series of state run universities that are completely free for those with sufficient academic talent
Last edited by Ilmarene on Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:37 am

Ilmarene wrote:
The General Assembly,
Recognizing that university education is one of the most important factors in determining someone's income and standard of living;
Observing that many are forced to not attend a university due to extremely high admission prices;
Understanding that many states have the capacity to subsidise universities but choose not to;
Hereby mandates that if a state is determined to be able to maintain a reasonable budget with the expense of the following clauses by and independent commission of economists they must:
a) Pay for at least 75% of a student who is unable to afford admission expenses relating directly to university attendance
b) Create a series of state run universities that are completely free for those with sufficient academic talent

IC: "What on earth are you blabbering about, ambassador? In Araraukar all universities are state-run and free for all students. Getting into one depends on passing the entry exam, of course, but that's obviously free as well."

OOC: Even in RL not all nations have USAesque study costs. In Finland, where I live, university education is free to citizens at least. Haven't checked recently if they actually put in the payments for foreign students that they were talking about some time back. Students even get paid by the welfare system to help with living costs.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Amendra
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Amendra » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:45 am

Araraukar wrote:
Ilmarene wrote:
The General Assembly,

IC: "What on earth are you blabbering about, ambassador? In Araraukar all universities are state-run and free for all students. Getting into one depends on passing the entry exam, of course, but that's obviously free as well."

OOC: Even in RL not all nations have USAesque study costs. In Finland, where I live, university education is free to citizens at least. Haven't checked recently if they actually put in the payments for foreign students that they were talking about some time back. Students even get paid by the welfare system to help with living costs.

OOC: hello there northern neighbour!

In all honesty, I don't think this is a good idea at all, because how a country organizes their spending is ultimately the choice of the leader(s), not to be dictated by any external forces. To that end, how would you go about enforcing this piece legislation?
Last edited by Amendra on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:53 am

Amendra wrote:OOC: hello there northern neighbour!

OOC: Kuidas käsi käib?
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Amendra
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Amendra » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:56 am

Araraukar wrote:
Amendra wrote:OOC: hello there northern neighbour!

OOC: Kuidas käsi käib?

Üldiselt masendavalt :D

Terttia
Envoy

Founded: Jul 28, 2019
Anarchy

Postby Terttia » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:03 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Even in RL not all nations have USAesque study costs.

Many students in the U.S. receive financial aid (e.g. scholarships, federal and state programs, etc.)
Last edited by Terttia on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Never was anything great achieved without danger.” -Niccolò Machiavelli

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:22 pm

IC: Turnov raises his glass of water and sips it. "Oh please, I must agree with the Araraukarian delegation; this legislation lacks any purpose when it comes to certain nations, such as the People's Federation for instance. Tell me, Ambassador; does South Reinkalistan look like the place to have private universities? You have talent for writing, certainly. But I would advise such talents be directed at other matters inside the General Assembly - unless, of course, this were to be heavily revised. But such a proposal, as it stands, would not have my support."

OOC: Perhaps make the legislation less powerful? At any rate, I'd try formatting this a bit better (for starters). Perhaps use [list]? Also, make it clear where this 'independent commission of economists" is coming from. Finally, 'sufficient academic talent' is very subjective in my opinion.
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL
" We will not bow to your dictation. We are free. We bled to be free.
Who are you to tell us what we may and may not do? We stopped being your slaves an era ago. "
South Reinkalistan is a massive, ecologically-diverse nation notable for its roving student militias and widespread hatred for the elderly.
In the midst of a room-temperature cultural revolution that's lost its momentum, the Party carefully plans its next move.
As the brittle bones of fragile empires begin to crack beneath their own weight, history's symphony reaches crescendo pitch. The future is all but certain.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:55 pm

Terttia wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Even in RL not all nations have USAesque study costs.

Many students in the U.S. receive financial aid (e.g. scholarships, federal and state programs, etc.)

OOC: I'm a pretty big USA apologist vs Ara, and even I have to say that the US system is not comparable to Finland's. Its just not a question that their system is more equitable to students.

IC: "We agree with Ambassador pro tem Äyrämäki."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Ilmarene
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ilmarene » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:33 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I agree that this proposal is too vague and interfering to be submitted to the world assembly. I'll try to avoid that in the future.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:23 pm

A finance limited government should spend more of its limited funds on primary education rather than tertiary education which primarily accrues education inequality while not producing tangible productivity improvements or tax returns. I wrote a whole thing on this for UM a while back when he proposed a similar policy. Edit: See viewtopic.php?p=33088472#p33088472.

This kind of policy is really bad for developing countries and ought not be implemented. Conditioning it on a board saying that doing it would be good has the problem of being not particularly measurable right now. Marginal returns to education too are not some kind of on-off switch. Moreover, cost-sharing in markets like higher education incentivise higher costs. This is easily illustrated in a Tirole-Laffont public procurement model. Price controls are likely necessary to defend the value of public investment.

The scope of the required policies require significant work and also great particularity to internal conditions. I don't see it as something that can be adequately resolved in a resolution.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Teretstein
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Teretstein » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:50 am

Absolutely not. Historically, every time a government has subsidized education the prices skyrocketed. This is because university administrators see that huge payor with minimal budget constraints so they start jacking up prices. This has happened in every country this idiotic policy has been tried.

Better idea. Actually require universities to publish their prices. Allow students to shop around and if necessary allow the the private sector to extend loans to them. This works really well for healthcare too, btw. It's the reason why Singapore (RL reference) isn't suffering from healthcare costs right now.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:25 pm

Teretstein wrote:Absolutely not. Historically, every time a government has subsidized education the prices skyrocketed. This is because university administrators see that huge payor with minimal budget constraints so they start jacking up prices. This has happened in every country this idiotic policy has been tried.

OOC: Reality once more disagrees with you. And many more nations than is listed there, offer free education for their own citizens (or of EU nations, to EU citizens).

The COT Corporation
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2019
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The COT Corporation » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:28 am

Araraukar wrote:
Ilmarene wrote:
The General Assembly,

OOC: Agreed. In Scotland, where I grew up, university is free.
- Juleas Brimstone, recently elected WA ambassador. Author of the proposal, Limitation of Inhumane Weaponry.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:09 pm

Ilmarene wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone, I agree that this proposal is too vague and interfering to be submitted to the world assembly. I'll try to avoid that in the future.

(OOC: If you are abandoning the draft, you should put [ABANDONED] before the legislation title in the post topic title. It would also be a good idea for everyone else to stop posting here.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Deacarsia
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Subsidising University Education

Postby Deacarsia » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:11 pm

Ilmarene wrote:The General Assembly,

Nay.
Visit vaticancatholic.com

Extra Ecclésiam nulla salus

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly