NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Condemn Gatesville Inc

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pierconium
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:41 pm

Todd McCloud wrote:
A mean old man wrote:You're probably wrong, Todd.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

No, you're wrong. :P

Anyway, against.
Tyrant (Ret.)

Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…

NPO - EMPIRE - TRIUMVIRATE - NPD

Darkesia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Darkesia » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:40 pm

I have just read the current Condemnation of Gatesville Inc.
Unfortunately, it is inaccurate and misleading concerning my role in both Gatesville and the Lots of Ants incident. While I love having a scary reputation, I cannot take credit/blame for orchestrating that operation. I was a small bit player in the wider drama.

That is the direct section I am qualified to speak about.

Given this problem, I will be voting against and asking that others please do the same. I don't want to see this inaccuracy become part of NS cannon.
Blackbird wrote:Francoism is to fascism as Marxism is to peanut butter.
Greater Moldavi wrote:If I didn't say things like that then I wouldn't be...well me.
Katganistan wrote:I imagine it's the rabid crotch-seeking ninja attack weasels. Very hard to train, so you don't see them in use in many places.

Bormiar
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bormiar » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:56 pm

Darkesia wrote:I have just read the current Condemnation of Gatesville Inc.
Unfortunately, it is inaccurate and misleading concerning my role in both Gatesville and the Lots of Ants incident. While I love having a scary reputation, I cannot take credit/blame for orchestrating that operation. I was a small bit player in the wider drama.

That is the direct section I am qualified to speak about.

Given this problem, I will be voting against and asking that others please do the same. I don't want to see this inaccuracy become part of NS cannon.

I called you an orchestrator (like a co-conspirator) just to illustrate Gatesville's involvement- the word is up to so much interpretation that your involvement becomes ambiguous. Going into the specifics, I made it clear that you're involvement is unknown through "it is entirely unknown as to whether or not Darkesia always controlled Lots of Ants".

With all due respect, I wouldn't say you're so important in a condemn Gatesville proposal that the entire thing should fail because of a minor ambiguity (or even inaccuracy) in your involvement in one espionage operation (GV still did it), especially because of the lack of details in the LoA event.
Last edited by Bormiar on Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Westwind
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 26, 2004

Postby Westwind » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:06 pm

With the number of inaccuracies in the proposal, it will be unfortunate if this passes.

In example, Peirconium did not "seized the nation" of Pixiedance, rather access was given freely. Access to Pixiedance was also given to Insane Power.
Last edited by Westwind on Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Crimson King Westwind
King of The Realm of Equilism

Three Time World Assembly Delegate All Good People of The West Pacific
Former UN/WA Delegate Lewis and Clark of The North Pacific
Former Delegate Jolly Ole Saint Nick of Christmas
Among other things

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:32 pm

Westwind wrote:With the number of inaccuracies in the proposal, it will be unfortunate if this passes.

In example, Peirconium did not "seized the nation" of Pixiedance, rather access was given freely. Access to Pixiedance was also given to Insane Power.

“Seized the nation” is a conventional way of saying it was given. “Nation sharing” isn’t really a thing that makes sense IC. I don’t see how it applies that access was given to Insane Power. Either way, Gatesville supported it.

Condemnations have inherently questionable tones- they demonize a nation or group of nations for IC actions when really the fourth wall is very important to these things, and as such they can’t be looked to as entirely terminologically accurate. Go against the WA if you must.

The main problem here is the expectation that every word’s connotative (not definitive) accuracy is pristine, when most resolution authors are picking at scraps of information on the forums- we do our best. If your proposed mandate is historical perfection, we’re not only going to run into a lot of problems, but maybe you should sit down and write about these events (preferably before the proposals two days into vote). I do my best, but if this one word doesn’t meet your standards on word choice, there’s nothing anyone can do- say it during drafting or approval stage.

Darkesia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2005

Postby Darkesia » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:37 pm

So now, it is our responsibility to scour the SC for your mistakes, and we should hang our heads in shame that we didn't write a history for you?

I cannot imagine a circumstance where I would have given permission for you to write lies about Darkesia had I seen it before now. You chose to include Darkesia. You chose to embellish the tale. You chose to do these things without checking accuracy or even feasibility.

I am disappointed.
Blackbird wrote:Francoism is to fascism as Marxism is to peanut butter.
Greater Moldavi wrote:If I didn't say things like that then I wouldn't be...well me.
Katganistan wrote:I imagine it's the rabid crotch-seeking ninja attack weasels. Very hard to train, so you don't see them in use in many places.

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:55 pm

Darkesia wrote:So now, it is our responsibility to scour the SC for your mistakes, and we should hang our heads in shame that we didn't write a history for you?

No, just please don't act like you're so obsessed with historical accuracy if you don't.

Darkesia wrote:I cannot imagine a circumstance where I would have given permission for you to write lies about Darkesia had I seen it before now. You chose to include Darkesia. You chose to embellish the tale. You chose to do these things without checking accuracy or even feasibility.

I attempted to ask you about the event, but you answered vaguely and I figured there wasn't much you would tell me (I may have misunderstood).

As for embellishment, I feel that you're embellishing your argument on the semantics of a single word with claims of incompetence, gross historical revisionism, and "lies".

I hope you'll understand that I'm not questioning your knowledge of the event, simply the interpretation of my words.

Cormactopia Prime
Minister

Founded: Sep 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormactopia Prime » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:06 am

Westwind wrote:With the number of inaccuracies in the proposal, it will be unfortunate if this passes.

That's a rhetorical flourish, not an inaccuracy.

This all sounds like blown out of proportion nitpicking from the longtime do-nothing armchair quarterbacks of the West Pacific. Why should anyone care?
Last edited by Cormactopia Prime on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wickedly evil people
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 14, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Wickedly evil people » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:59 am

Cormactopia Prime wrote:

That's a rhetorical flourish, not an inaccuracy.

This all sounds like blown out of proportion nitpicking from the longtime do-nothing armchair quarterbacks of the West Pacific. Why should anyone care?

Actually it is a laundry list of lies supported by the Ancient Prevaricator Cormactopia. :hug:
Eli

Cormactopia Prime
Minister

Founded: Sep 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormactopia Prime » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:02 am

Wickedly evil people wrote:
Cormactopia Prime wrote:That's a rhetorical flourish, not an inaccuracy.

Actually it is a laundry list of lies supported by the Ancient Prevaricator Cormactopia. :hug:

Seconds ago: Cormactopia Prime changed its national nation type to "Ancient Prevaricator".

Thanks for that! :P

Tiranai
Civilian

Founded: Jan 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiranai » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:59 am

The point of the condemnation is to condamn Gatesvill Inc., yet, many facts attributed to Gatesville (not Inc.) are mentionned. If Gatesville Inc. does deserve to be condemned for a coup in 2013, then things done by another organization (even if its members are the same) are not relevant. Or shouldn't. Like, if the husband kills someone, you won't sentence both the husband and the wife for that one murder, right? Thus, voting FOR might create a precedent of nations followed to their new regions after they have amended for past crimes, and still being punished over and over again.

In consideration of this, and even though Gatesville Inc. might actually have done wrong to Osiris, voting AGAINST this particular Resolution seems appropriate.

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:34 am

Tiranai wrote:The point of the condemnation is to condamn Gatesvill Inc., yet, many facts attributed to Gatesville (not Inc.) are mentionned. If Gatesville Inc. does deserve to be condemned for a coup in 2013, then things done by another organization (even if its members are the same) are not relevant. Or shouldn't. Like, if the husband kills someone, you won't sentence both the husband and the wife for that one murder, right? Thus, voting FOR might create a precedent of nations followed to their new regions after they have amended for past crimes, and still being punished over and over again.

In consideration of this, and even though Gatesville Inc. might actually have done wrong to Osiris, voting AGAINST this particular Resolution seems appropriate.

I posted a response to a similar comment on 10KI’s forum, and the commenter seemed satisfied by it, so:
Gatesville Inc was created and run by the same people, and perpetrated one of the most successful coups in NationStates' history: the Dourian Embassy coup, so the "sins of the fathers" thing is erroneous- they changed the banner they rallied under slightly because their region was refounded by a non-Gatesville member. Gatesville Inc isn't just a branch off; it's a direct continuation analogous to what would happen if your region's founder CTEd and you just had to move the community to avoid raids. Gatesville Inc actually bears resemblance to what Gatesville should be, as evident by its WFE and founder. As such, it's entirely justified, and should be encouraged, to condemn Gatesville's second incarnation for the actions taken by it and its predecessor- the clear meaning being to condemn Gatesville in the organization's entirety without prejudice in its home.

Byenochin
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Agreement

Postby Byenochin » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:19 pm

Tiranai wrote:The point of the condemnation is to condamn Gatesvill Inc., yet, many facts attributed to Gatesville (not Inc.) are mentionned. If Gatesville Inc. does deserve to be condemned for a coup in 2013, then things done by another organization (even if its members are the same) are not relevant. Or shouldn't. Like, if the husband kills someone, you won't sentence both the husband and the wife for that one murder, right? Thus, voting FOR might create a precedent of nations followed to their new regions after they have amended for past crimes, and still being punished over and over again.

Well you are indeed right, it seems that Gatesville Inc. is only guilty of the coup. There is really no reason that we should condemn a region for things another region has done. From what i understand after looking into Gatesville Inc., the region does not appear to have any of the former members of Gatesville.

So you are right, it dies in fact seem appropriate to vote AGAINST the resolution.

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:48 pm

Byenochin wrote:

From what i understand after looking into Gatesville Inc., the region does not appear to have any of the former members of Gatesville.

How closely did you look? It can't have been that extensive considering the founder is the same as the original founder of Gatesville.
Last edited by Bormiar on Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Westwind
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 26, 2004

Postby Westwind » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:51 pm

Bormiar wrote:How closely did you look? It can't have been that extensive considering the founder is the same as the original founder of Gatesville.

This is not true.

Founder of Gatesville is Gates the god
Founder of Gatesville Inc is Gates the great

Two different nations, by two different players.

Gates the god closed Gatesville, ejected it's nations, and left the game.
Last edited by Westwind on Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Crimson King Westwind
King of The Realm of Equilism

Three Time World Assembly Delegate All Good People of The West Pacific
Former UN/WA Delegate Lewis and Clark of The North Pacific
Former Delegate Jolly Ole Saint Nick of Christmas
Among other things

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:21 pm

Westwind wrote:
Bormiar wrote:How closely did you look? It can't have been that extensive considering the founder is the same as the original founder of Gatesville.

This is not true.

Founder of Gatesville is Gates the god
Founder of Gatesville Inc is Gates the great

Two different nations, by two different players.

Gates the god closed Gatesville, ejected it's nations, and left the game.

Maybe I misread this, but Gates the God posted the re-opening of Gatesville thread, and made several other posts during the GV Inc time.

Either Gates or Nevader was the second founder, but Gates was definitely a co-founder.
Last edited by Bormiar on Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives