NATION

PASSWORD

Tone down the "Global Disarmament" subtitle

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Umeria
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Tone down the "Global Disarmament" subtitle

Postby Umeria » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:59 pm

So currently, there are these two categories for GA resolutions, International Security and Global Disarmament, which respectively increases and decreases spending on the police and military. Interational Security reads:
International Security - A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets.

While Global Disarmament reads:
Global Disarmament - A resolution to slash worldwide military spending.

The Global Disarmament subtitle is framed much more harshly. International Security's subtitle provides a reason for the spending ("improve world security") and uses the word "boost", which has a generally positive connotation and can be interpreted to mean only a minor increase (as is the case with the "Mild" strength). Global disarmament's subtitle gives no reason for the spending decrease and uses the word "slash", which has a generally negative connotation and doesn't really fit with a Mild strength resolution ("mildly slash worldwide spending" does not make sense).

I think this is part of the reason for why there are 21 active International Security resolutions and only 7 active Global Disarmament resolutions. People such as the one quoted below look at the subtitle and conclude that the proposal would cripple their military.
Roklinda wrote:This is global disarmament with the express purpose of “Slashing military spending worldwide.” Global disarmament is not the same as allowing countries to lie defenseless.

So it would be really helpful if the subtitle were changed to something like "A resolution to reduce military expenditures".
Ambassador Anthony Lockwood, at your service.
Author of GAR #389

"Umeria - We start with U"

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Bump.
Author of GAR #389

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:33 am

Bump.
Author of GAR #389

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:13 am

You may consider the total lack of response from other players an indication that maybe this isn't all that interesting to others.

Umeria wrote:Bump.

Please stop doing that. Maybe once a month if an admin still hasn't responded.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:12 am

I think it's a valid point. I just don't care that much and don't have much to add. And I'm not the one who actually has the authority to make such a change.

I suppose that, besides just the perceived relative strength of "reduce" versus "slash", the Global Disarmament description could also stand to include an actual reason ("to promote world peace" or whatever) to go with International Security already having one ("to improve world security").

The united American-Isreali empire
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 09, 2019
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The united American-Isreali empire » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:16 am

i do not not think disarmament is a good idea, far from. give up your arms you loose your ability to defend yourself.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:57 pm

The united American-Isreali empire wrote:i do not not think disarmament is a good idea, far from. give up your arms you loose your ability to defend yourself.

You haven't read what this thread is actually about.

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:54 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:Please stop doing that. Maybe once a month if an admin still hasn't responded.

:oops: I thought it was when it got to page 2. Sorry about that.

Trotterdam wrote:I think it's a valid point. I just don't care that much and don't have much to add. And I'm not the one who actually has the authority to make such a change.

I suppose that, besides just the perceived relative strength of "reduce" versus "slash", the Global Disarmament description could also stand to include an actual reason ("to promote world peace" or whatever) to go with International Security already having one ("to improve world security").

There's two other pairs of categories that have a similar structure; Civil Rights/Moral Decency and Furtherment of Democracy/Political Stability. Moral decency has a reason provided ("in the interest of moral decency") because "restricting civil freedoms" sounds bad, while Civil Rights doesn't need a reason because "improve worldwide human and civil rights" sounds good. Political Stability has a reason provided ("in the interest of law and order") because "restrict political freedoms" sounds bad, while Furtherment of Democracy doesn't need a reason because "increase democratic freedoms" sounds good. When they wrote the subtitles for the International Security/Global Disarmament categories, they might have been thinking that "slash worldwide military spending" sounded generally good because most WA voters oppose war, when in reality there is a sizable amount of pro-military people in the WA who view slashing spending without any justification as a threat to their security.
Author of GAR #389

The united American-Isreali empire
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 09, 2019
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The united American-Isreali empire » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:56 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
The united American-Isreali empire wrote:i do not not think disarmament is a good idea, far from. give up your arms you loose your ability to defend yourself.

You haven't read what this thread is actually about.

my bad. (was at the doctor at the moment). i will state this, if one has both increase and limiting weaponry is quite a bit confusing. just saying,

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:12 am

I support Umeria's proposal. The two sides to the category topic seem very unbalanced.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:44 pm

Bump.
Author of GAR #389

Recuecn
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Recuecn » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:15 am

I would support this as well.
rəswɛsən

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:48 am

I would also support this.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:11 am

I also would support this change.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:48 pm

Bump.
Author of GAR #389

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:31 pm

I support this as well.

If I understand this only requires a wording change and no coding?
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

Gorundu
Envoy

Founded: May 02, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gorundu » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:39 am

Sounds reasonable. I support.
Former Delegate of The North Pacific

Badge hunter (x3)
Former lurker of WA forums
Author of GA#485, GA#516, SC#337 and the other one we don't talk about
Posts do not represent my region's views unless stated otherwise.

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Sat May 23, 2020 3:40 pm

Bump.
Author of GAR #389

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Sat May 23, 2020 4:38 pm

I think it would be best if it was the opposite of its opposite. For example:

"Global Disarmament - A resolution in order to take steps towards peace and maintain cordial relations in the international community."
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Zentata
Attaché

Founded: Nov 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Zentata » Sun May 24, 2020 7:44 am

Yeah, I think it needs to be changed.
~

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:05 am

Bump.
Author of GAR #389

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical