NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Is there a time and a place for this nation?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Is there a time and a place for this nation?

Postby The Sapmi » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:12 am

Draft 3:
A recent independence referendum within Brancaland’s infamously rebellious province of Quaybeck has caused controversy. With a turn-out of less than 20%, the referendum has been considered null and void by the Brancalander parliament despite the vote supporting independence. As numerous nearby nations have announced their support for an independent Quaybeck, @@NAME@@’s neutrality in the matter has caused emissaries from both sides to give their side of the matter.

Option 1: "Please listen to our pleas!" says @@RANDOMNAME@@, leader of the somewhat-shady Quaybecker Society of @@NAME@@. "History has shown us that this is the only possible way for our people to continue!". Ushering you off to the side, @@HE@@ offers you some money to look the other way when asked about the election's legitimacy, which looked oddly like the lubles used in Bigtopia.
Effect: People groups whom were oppressed centuries ago now fiercely campaign for independence.

Option 2: "Pleas? Hah!" retorts the Brancalander emissary, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "When we gave them compromise, they declined! And have you seen the turn-outs? 16%? For all we know, the only people who voted for them could be the Brasilistani immigrants! All of the people who didn't turn up could be fiercely anti-Quaybeck, for all we know!”
Effect: One person not turning up to a referendum results in it being considered null and void.

Option 3: "Maybe there's a compromise?" ponders your Minister of Compromise, @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@. Taking one swig each from the two cups of water she is holding, she continues "Maybe we recognise that the election was valid, but that Brancaland can do with it what it likes. This choice might be unpopular, but who knows what Brancaland's political landscape is like? I sure don't."
Effect: @@NAME@@ no longer questions referendums where a minority votes 100% for deportation to death camps.

Option 4: "Or we could just plead neutrality" responds @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Neutrality calmly and flatly. "Do we have to get involved with absolutely everything? You already know of the consequences of our attempt to influence Altaniqi politics or the backlash we were given when serving as a peacekeeper to prevent atrocities in the Meensda Breakup War. It would be better to let things take their natural path, without our involvement.”
Effect: Parents answer "Neutral" when asked by children about their favourite colour.

Draft 2:
A recent independence referendum in Brancaland’s infamously rebellious province of Quaybeck has caused controversy. With a turn-out of less than 20%, the referendum has been considered null and void by the Brancalander parliament. As numerous nearby nations have announced their support for an independent Quaybeck, @@NAME@@’s neutrality in the matter as caused emissaries from bot sides to give their side of the matter.

Option 1: "Please listen to our pleas!" says @@RANDOMNAME@@, leader of the somewhat-shady Quaybecker Society of @@NAME@@. "History has shown us that this is the only possible way for our people to continue!". Ushering you off to the side, @@HE@@ offers you some money to look the other way when asked about the election's legitimacy, which looked oddly like the lubles used in Bigtopia.
Effect: People groups whom were oppressed centuries ago now fiercely campaign for independence.

Option 2: "Pleas? Hah!" retorts the Brancalander emissary, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "When we gave them compromise, they declined! And have you seen the turn-outs? 16%? For all we know, the only people who voted for them could be the Brasilistani immigrants! All of the people who didn't turn up could be fiercely anti-Quaybeck, for all we know!”
Effect: One person not turning up to a referendum results in it being considered null and void.

Option 3: "Maybe there's a compromise?" questions your Minister of Compromises, @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@. Taking one swig each from the two cups of water she is holding, she continues "Maybe we recognise that the election was valid, but that Brancaland can do with it what it likes. This choice might be unpopular, but who knows what Brancaland's political landscape is like? I sure don't."
Effect: Groups that support your ideals perfectly are ignored because they exist outside of @@NAME@@'s domain.

Option 4: "Or we could just plead neutrality" responds your Minister of Neutrality calmly and flatly. "Do we have to get involved with everything? You already know of the consequences of our attempt to influence Altaniqi politics or the backlash we were given when serving as a peacekeeper to prevent genocide in the Meensda Breakup War. It would be better to let things take their path, without our involvement.”
Effect: Parents answer "Neutral" when asked by children about their favourite colour.

Draft 1:
As of recent, the province of Quaybeck has demanded more self-governance from their overlord of Brancaland. At first demanding simply autonomy, they have as of recent demanded an independence referendum, which was accepted. Whilst a majority did vote for independence, an extremely low turn-out has brought up the issue of whether the election was legitimate. As the question of Quaybeck's legitimacy continues to spread, both sides come to us for support.

Option 1: "Please listen to our pleas!" said @@RANDOMNAME@@, leader of the somewhat shady Quaybecker Society of @@NAME@@. "History has shown us that this is the only possible way for our people to continue!". Ushering you off to the side, @@HE@@ offered you some money to look the other way when asked about the election's legitimacy, which looked oddly like the lubles used in Bigtopia.

Option 2: "Pleas? Hah!" retorted the Brancalander emissary, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "When we gave them compromise, they declined! And have you seen the turn-outs? Less than 20%? For all we know, the only people who voted for them could be the Brasilistani immigrants! All of the people who didn't turn up could be fiercely anti-Quaybeck, for all we know!

Option 3: "Maybe there's a compromise?" questions your Minister of Compromises, @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@. Taking one swig each from the two cups of water she is holding, she continues "Maybe we recognise that the election was valid, but that Brancaland can do with it what it likes. This choice might be unpopular, but who knows what Brancaland's political landscape is like? I sure don't."
Effect: Groups that support your ideals perfectly are ignored because they exist outside of @@NAME@@'s domain

Option 4: "Or we could just plead neutrality" responded your Minister of Neutrality calmly. "Do we have to get involved with everything? You already know of the consequences of our attempt to influence Altaniqi politics or the backlash we were given when serving as a peacekeeper to prevent genocide in the Meensda Civil War. It would be better to let things take their path, without our involvement.
Last edited by The Sapmi on Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
News for March 2088:
International News: Growth of world market slowest since 2074 | European Federation announces complete unification to occur within the century | Hispaniola wins the 2088 World Cup, the first Carribean Nation to do so

Local News: Terrorist attack in Finnmark leads 84 dead, week of mourning instituted | Call for vote of no-confidence held off as Bjorn Handal's approval rate surges to 51%

The Rundown: The Saami Commonwealth is a nation located in Northern Scandinavia that declared independence in 2052. Factbooks are factual, most NationStates statistics are not

Makdon
Envoy

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:21 am

The options are usually written in present tense, but you've written them in past
⁝ Former World Assembly Officer of The Rejected Realms ⁝ 2 x SCR author ⁝ Question Mark ⁝

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:47 pm

Shouldn't this be an issue for the leader of Brancaland to decide?
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:39 pm

The Sherpa Empire wrote:Shouldn't this be an issue for the leader of Brancaland to decide?

As explained in the issue's start, Quaybeck did vote for independence, but the leader of Brancaland declined. The Quaybeckers are now looking for international support. In my next draft, I think I'll make that clearer.
News for March 2088:
International News: Growth of world market slowest since 2074 | European Federation announces complete unification to occur within the century | Hispaniola wins the 2088 World Cup, the first Carribean Nation to do so

Local News: Terrorist attack in Finnmark leads 84 dead, week of mourning instituted | Call for vote of no-confidence held off as Bjorn Handal's approval rate surges to 51%

The Rundown: The Saami Commonwealth is a nation located in Northern Scandinavia that declared independence in 2052. Factbooks are factual, most NationStates statistics are not

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:40 pm

Makdon wrote:The options are usually written in present tense, but you've written them in past

True. I should probably change that.
News for March 2088:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:23 pm

So the issue is whether or not we recognise their indipendance? Make this clearer. However, somehow, I don't see that happening so quickly
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:03 am

Australian rePublic wrote:So the issue is whether or not we recognise their indipendance? Make this clearer. However, somehow, I don't see that happening so quickly

Have made this somewhat clearer. Thanks for the feedback.
News for March 2088:

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015

Postby Socio Polor » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:54 pm

In RL, nations usually don't get involved in the internal affairs of other nations, unless said affairs would affect those countries. An independence referendum hardly warrants international intervention. It'll be like the UK getting involved if California decided to secede from the US or the US getting involved if Northern Ireland decided to break from the UK, it rarely happens. Even if we did intervene, what more can @@name@@ do other than give our opinion? It's not like we can actually force Brancaland into giving Quaybeck their independence
Last edited by Socio Polor on Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:00 pm

Socio Polor wrote:In RL, nations usually don't get involved in the internal affairs of other nations, unless said affairs would affect those countries. An independence referendum hardly warrants international intervention. It'll be like the UK getting involved if California decided to secede from the US or the US getting involved if Northern Ireland decided to break from the UK, it rarely happens. Even if we did intervene, what more can @@name@@ do other than give our opinion? It's not like we can actually force Brancaland into giving Quaybeck their independence

What would make for a better issue imo, is if a territory of @@name@@ wanted their independence. I don't think that has been done before

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:49 pm

Socio Polor wrote:In RL, nations usually don't get involved in the internal affairs of other nations, unless said affairs would affect those countries. An independence referendum hardly warrants international intervention. It'll be like the UK getting involved if California decided to secede from the US or the US getting involved if Northern Ireland decided to break from the UK, it rarely happens. Even if we did intervene, what more can @@name@@ do other than give our opinion? It's not like we can actually force Brancaland into giving Quaybeck their independence

I'd say it's more like Serbia & Kosovo. Enough support worldwide would make Serbia likely allow it to be independent. Considering Russia & China's position on the matter, I doubt it to happen anytime soon, but still.
And besides, Brancaland's hand isn't being necessarily forced here. It's just support for an independent Quaybeck.
Last edited by The Sapmi on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
News for March 2088:

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:51 pm

Socio Polor wrote:

What would make for a better issue imo, is if a territory of @@name@@ wanted their independence. I don't think that has been done before

It has been done before.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:08 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:What would make for a better issue imo, is if a territory of @@name@@ wanted their independence. I don't think that has been done before

It has been done before.

Well, there goes that idea :p Thanks for confirming that Monitor.
The Sapmi wrote:

I'd say it's more like Serbia & Kosovo. Enough support worldwide would make Serbia likely allow it to be independent. Considering Russia & China's position on the matter, I doubt it to happen anytime soon, but still.
And besides, Brancaland's hand isn't being necessarily forced here. It's just support for an independent Quaybeck.

In all honesty, I can only see this issue working just to boost @@name@@'s foreign aid stat...possibly. But, with that aside, I wish you the best of luck :)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:37 pm

If the independence struggle devolves into an actual shooting war, it's plausible other nations would take sides in the matter. This scenario is already covered by #808, so no new ground there either, I'm afraid.

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:13 am

Trotterdam wrote:
If the independence struggle devolves into an actual shooting war, it's plausible other nations would take sides in the matter. This scenario is already covered by #808, so no new ground there either, I'm afraid.

I feel that this issue is a bit more peaceful. No war will start, Brancaland will likely just angrily continue to deny Quaybeck's independence. Issue #808 focuses on a war for independence.
Socio Polor wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

In all honesty, I can only see this issue working just to boost @@name@@'s foreign aid stat...possibly. But, with that aside, I wish you the best of luck :)

It can affect the stats in other ways. The former two options would increase your arms industry. The support of Brancaland could increase authoritarianism. The support of Quaybeck could increase civil rights. Maintaining neutrality could increase political apathy.
News for March 2088:

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:28 am

The Sapmi wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:If the independence struggle devolves into an actual shooting war, it's plausible other nations would take sides in the matter. This scenario is already covered by #808, so no new ground there either, I'm afraid.

I feel that this issue is a bit more peaceful. No war will start, Brancaland will likely just angrily continue to deny Quaybeck's independence. Issue #808 focuses on a war for independence.
Socio Polor wrote:

It can affect the stats in other ways. The former two options would increase your arms industry. The support of Brancaland could increase authoritarianism. The support of Quaybeck could increase civil rights. Maintaining neutrality could increase political apathy.

Don't worry about stats. Since non-editors can't see which stats we manipulate manually and which are knock-on effects, it's simpler to just figure out the stats ourselves rather than ask players to guess.

The issues submission page used to include stat suggestions, but editors found themselves ignoring the suggestions most of the time.

For now, you should focus on finding the right premise. This still seems very similar to 808.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:17 am

In all honesty, I can only see this issue working just to boost @@name@@'s foreign aid stat...possibly. But, with that aside, I wish you the best of luck :)[/quote]
Thanks for the support!
News for March 2088:

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:19 am

USS Monitor wrote:
The Sapmi wrote:I feel that this issue is a bit more peaceful. No war will start, Brancaland will likely just angrily continue to deny Quaybeck's independence. Issue #808 focuses on a war for independence.

Don't worry about stats. Since non-editors can't see which stats we manipulate manually and which are knock-on effects, it's simpler to just figure out the stats ourselves rather than ask players to guess.

The issues submission page used to include stat suggestions, but editors found themselves ignoring the suggestions most of the time.

For now, you should focus on finding the right premise. This still seems very similar to 808.

How could I do that? It feels pretty separate to me.
News for March 2088:

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:29 am

The premise of your draft is a referendum in one of Brancaland's provinces is not being respected by their central government, and people from both sides are coming to @@LEADER@@'s office asking for support.

The premise of 808 is one of Daguo's province is being rebellious and is attempting to break away, and people from both sides are coming to @@LEADER@@'s office asking for support.

Do you see how they are similar? I think it's in best interests to just abandon this draft and find another topic to write about. There's no shame in doing so, every writer has gone through this same process. I'd rather you focus on something else.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:46 am

Sacara wrote:The premise of your draft is a referendum in one of Brancaland's provinces is not being respected by their central government, and people from both sides are coming to @@LEADER@@'s office asking for support.

The premise of 808 is one of Daguo's province is being rebellious and is attempting to break away, and people from both sides are coming to @@LEADER@@'s office asking for support.

Do you see how they are similar? I think it's in best interests to just abandon this draft and find another topic to write about. There's no shame in doing so, every writer has gone through this same process. I'd rather you focus on something else.

If I recall correctly, the premise of Issue 808 is that the province is already at war, whereas in mine, Quaybeck is not.
News for March 2088:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:18 am

I concur that the overlap is too great, and this issue will be rejected for that reason.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:17 pm

...ah well, still got a number of ideas anyway.
News for March 2088:

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:21 pm

I think the name needs some adjusting, It's a little too long for my liking.
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

The Sapmi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sapmi » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:34 am

Can somebody lock this thread?
News for March 2088:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:57 am

The thread had already fallen off the first page. Why revive the thread just to ask for it to be locked?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?