NATION

PASSWORD

[Issue Question] Just a question regarding issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Rosod Enutro
Secretary

Founded: Aug 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

[Issue Question] Just a question regarding issues

Postby Rosod Enutro » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:11 pm

I'm no writer and I saw the create an issue. But I really don't want to. I feel it's already been made. So I'm just curious if it has, and if not why has no one done it yet.
My question is about "The Purge" basically the idea is one day out of the year people can get away with anything. Why has there not been an issue discussing this as an option for crimes or etc? I mean this could be a national policy honestly. Have 5 different levels of it.

Level 1: Theft Purge, where one day anyone can steal anything they want and not get in trouble.
Counter: Anyone who steals this day could still have repercussions next day or etc.
Level 2: Burglary, mugging, etc.
Counter: Forced nudity so burglars have nothing to steal
Level 3: Everything legal except murder on x date.
Counter: etc
Level 4. Full Purge
Counter: Forced Prayer and peace

Not saying I promote bad stuff irl and don't take it that way, I just find it shocking something like this hasn't come up yet. If it has, I would like to get the "issue" please and thanks.
"To be Dumb and Intelligent in Rosod is the freedom in which it gives. "

http://i.imgur.com/UDK8zOx.gif

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:20 pm

An issue based on "The Purge" while interesting as it may be is too insane, even for NS Issue standards. No stable nation in their right mind would ever legalize something such as that. Though it might make for a good "Joke Issue."
Last edited by Socio Polor on Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosod Enutro
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Rosod Enutro » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:41 pm

Socio Polor wrote:An issue based on "The Purge" while interesting as it may be is too insane, even for NS Issue standards. No stable nation in their right mind would ever legalize something such as that. Though it might make for a good "Joke Issue."

But it's a game, not real life. Also, see my motto. I absolutely would legalize the Purge.
Last edited by Rosod Enutro on Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:47 pm

An issue has to meet certain "standards" to be considered acceptable in the game and realism is one of them. Sure, NS as some pretty wacky and insane issues, but a "purge" issue pushes the boundary. There's insane, and then there's INSANE. Trust me, it won't work. An IE should be able to explain the technicalities of it more though

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:23 am

The Got Issues forum FAQ & How To Write An Issue wrote:Verisimilitude - This refers to the sense that the presented fiction is consistent with the previously established fictional world. It's not the same as realism, and is more important than realism to good storytelling. If Batman transforms into a pink banana, then there's no verisimilitude or realism. If Batman accidentally kills a mugger by punching him too hard, that has realism but no verisimilitude. If Batman fights a psychotic crocodile-man then that has no realism, but it has verisimilitude. Spot which of these three work for a Batman comic! For Nationstates, it's harder to make that call, but have a look at existing issues, and that will help give a feel as to what fits the fiction.

Basically, there is no verisimilitude in a "purge" issue - it doesn't fit in the "nationstates world". As an Easter-Egg or similar issue it might work, but even then, it's debatable. As much as "all crime is legal" makes for a very easy movie plot, it's not something that any reasonable real-world government would ever discuss or even consider. It's not in any way "consistent with the previously established fictional world" for that sort of suggestion.

(Plus, there's the whole point to be made wherein the Purge movies are terribly unrealistic even assuming a government ever made a move to legalize all crime. The vast majority of crime would be people going down to the local Apple Store and grabbing everything, black-Friday style.)
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Rosod Enutro
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Rosod Enutro » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:31 am

So you limit creativity and freedom within nations because ban idea is too insane for your own liking? I thought this was a game? Second, you could have the issue have ba 5th option where denying it or dismissing it would do absolutely nothing to your nation. So why even have a dismiss option if you just say no to things that seem to INSANE for yours liking? I mean, again a game should not have excuses for limiting a nations creativity and wants for total anarchy and etc.
And for realism, the Purge will sooner or later actually happen, maybe not like the movies, buy close enough to one. Do saying it's too insane is just a pathetic copout for no real good reason.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:09 am

Rosod Enutro wrote:So you limit creativity and freedom within nations because ban idea is too insane for your own liking?

When said creativity is outside both the realm of realism and has SherpDaWerp brought up, "Verisimilitude," then yes. If a "Purge" issue were allowed in NS, it would throw that balance off. Remember, it might work as a joke or easter egg, but not an actual standard issue.
Rosod Enutro wrote:I thought this was a game?

It is, just not that type of game.
Rosod Enutro wrote:Second, you could have the issue have ba 5th option where denying it or dismissing it would do absolutely nothing to your nation.

That's not exactly how options work.
Rosod Enutro wrote:So why even have a dismiss option if you just say no to things that seem to INSANE for yours liking?

There is no dismiss option, only a dismiss button
Rosod Enutro wrote:I mean, again a game should not have excuses for limiting a nations creativity and wants for total anarchy and etc.

There's already a good few issues in-game that establish or reinstates anarchy to your nation; none of them are as crazy as a "Purge" scenario.
Rosod Enutro wrote:And for realism, the Purge will sooner or later actually happen

:eyebrow:

You're new to GI, I suggest sticking around here for a while, looking at how people draft and come up with their issues, the comments people make, the feedback given, the advice shared, etc. Doing this will give you an idea of what is and isn't allowed in an issue and what type of fiction the realm of NS is. There's also always the Got Issues FAQ & How To Write An Issue. This should also give you an idea of how issues work. If you're not sure of something or have a general question regarding issues, ask in this thread and someone will kindly answer you. Don't worry, you'll get the flow of things :)
Last edited by Socio Polor on Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:50 am

It likely could fit is as a “crazy 3rd option”, but not as a whole issue. (I suppose unless it was chained from that, however then you have to come up with a good issue that just so happens to have the purge as an option, and then that issue as well. All up to the editors discretion as well of course.)

LoveNotHate
Civilian

Founded: Dec 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby LoveNotHate » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:36 am

Socio Polor wrote:
Rosod Enutro wrote:So you limit creativity and freedom within nations because ban idea is too insane for your own liking?

When said creativity is outside both the realm of realism and has SherpDaWerp brought up, "Verisimilitude," then yes. If a "Purge" issue were allowed in NS, it would throw that balance off. Remember, it might work as a joke or easter egg, but not an actual standard issue.
Rosod Enutro wrote:I thought this was a game?

Rosod Enutro wrote:Second, you could have the issue have ba 5th option where denying it or dismissing it would do absolutely nothing to your nation.

Rosod Enutro wrote:So why even have a dismiss option if you just say no to things that seem to INSANE for yours liking?

Rosod Enutro wrote:I mean, again a game should not have excuses for limiting a nations creativity and wants for total anarchy and etc.

There's already a good few issues in-game that establish or reinstates anarchy to your nation; none of them are as crazy as a "Purge" scenario.
Rosod Enutro wrote:And for realism, the Purge will sooner or later actually happen

You're new to GI, I suggest sticking around here for a while, looking at how people draft and come up with their issues, the comments people make, the feedback given, the advice shared, etc. Doing this will give you an idea of what is and isn't allowed in an issue and what type of fiction the realm of NS is. There's also always the Got Issues FAQ & How To Write An Issue. This should also give you an idea of how issues work. If you're not sure of something or have a general question regarding issues, ask in this thread and someone will kindly answer you. Don't worry, you'll get the flow of things :)

First: The Purge is not outside of realism. In fact, the USA is about to have a civil war soon and because of all the stupid rules, martial law will kick in. Thus, a civil war over rights. Lastly, perfect time for other countries to swoop in and start a fight at the same time. In the long run, the Purge will happen. Than a civil war will happen right after it. 2021 Dec 25th at 12:01 all will happen. Than you can tell me all you want about realism if this doesn't happen. Quite frankly it's childish to assume this is beyond the realm of realism. Guess nationstates are children that think know balance. Nothing is ever properly balanced and it will be inevitable to even try believing in that bullarcky.

2nd: A game is a game and if it doesn't peak interest in variety of ways, it loses out on people. Quite frankly this tells me you don't want people unless they think they are running an actual nation to the point of trying to make it becomes real, that is poor strategy.

3rd: Why does an issue have to be bad and good 100% of the time? Hmm. That is not balance. That is improper valuism.

4th: that dismiss button had no proper explanation or adequate response, how is he supposed to counter when you don't provide a proper response?

5th: Maybe he doesn't want to get the flow of things? Maybe he wants to persuade your liberal mindset into properly thinking so nationstates can properly progress better in future. It's 2020 and by now you guys could have had been as popular as Minecraft and other games to generate revenue and etc through ads. You could have done a lot. But nope, let's stick to the past. Probably explains why nations leave 24/7. Lastly, maybe speed up issues while you are at it with an option to slow down. 5 hours is a long wait.

Leutria wrote:It likely could fit is as a “crazy 3rd option”, but not as a whole issue. (I suppose unless it was chained from that, however then you have to come up with a good issue that just so happens to have the purge as an option, and then that issue as well. All up to the editors discretion as well of course.)

I'm guessing that is what he was wanting. To edit an already existing issue.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:28 pm

Issues written specifically around The Purge fall flat when taking the basic realism test, as the idea requires readers to suspend their disbelief in order to buy into the premise. Movies and novels can get away with this, issues cannot.

I can very much see it showing up as a crazy option in an issue relating to crime, following grounded options, but not as the premise itself.
Last edited by Candensia on Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:19 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:2021 Dec 25th at 12:01 all will happen.
I suggest we suspend this discussion until that date and get back to it then.

Rosod Enutro
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Rosod Enutro » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:50 am

Trotterdam wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:2021 Dec 25th at 12:01 all will happen.
I suggest we suspend this discussion until that date and get back to it then.

All for the sake of an liberal (already proven failed twice by big governments) policy for balance? Hmm. Seems kinda cruel and unusual punishment to me. Honestly, you all don't want this game to flourish like Minecraft, do you.
Last edited by Rosod Enutro on Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:45 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:When said creativity is outside both the realm of realism and has SherpDaWerp brought up, "Verisimilitude," then yes. If a "Purge" issue were allowed in NS, it would throw that balance off. Remember, it might work as a joke or easter egg, but not an actual standard issue.

First: The Purge is not outside of realism. In fact, the USA is about to have a civil war soon and because of all the stupid rules, martial law will kick in. Thus, a civil war over rights. Lastly, perfect time for other countries to swoop in and start a fight at the same time. In the long run, the Purge will happen. Than a civil war will happen right after it. 2021 Dec 25th at 12:01 all will happen. Than you can tell me all you want about realism if this doesn't happen. Quite frankly it's childish to assume this is beyond the realm of realism. Guess nationstates are children that think know balance. Nothing is ever properly balanced and it will be inevitable to even try believing in that bullarcky.

2nd: A game is a game and if it doesn't peak interest in variety of ways, it loses out on people. Quite frankly this tells me you don't want people unless they think they are running an actual nation to the point of trying to make it becomes real, that is poor strategy.

3rd: Why does an issue have to be bad and good 100% of the time? Hmm. That is not balance. That is improper valuism.

4th: that dismiss button had no proper explanation or adequate response, how is he supposed to counter when you don't provide a proper response?

5th: Maybe he doesn't want to get the flow of things? Maybe he wants to persuade your liberal mindset into properly thinking so nationstates can properly progress better in future. It's 2020 and by now you guys could have had been as popular as Minecraft and other games to generate revenue and etc through ads. You could have done a lot. But nope, let's stick to the past. Probably explains why nations leave 24/7. Lastly, maybe speed up issues while you are at it with an option to slow down. 5 hours is a long wait.

Leutria wrote:It likely could fit is as a “crazy 3rd option”, but not as a whole issue. (I suppose unless it was chained from that, however then you have to come up with a good issue that just so happens to have the purge as an option, and then that issue as well. All up to the editors discretion as well of course.)

I'm guessing that is what he was wanting. To edit an already existing issue.

Why would the average Joe in other countries give a shit about the USA's internal affairs? Also, civil war=/=The Purge
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:08 pm

Several people have attempted writing drafts based on the Purge, but none of them have met our quality standards. You can try your hand if you like, but it is not an easy premise to make a quality issue out of.

We do need a certain level of realism and verisimilitude, even if the issues are sometimes a little quirky.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?