NATION

PASSWORD

Australian School buys back Water from Commercial Bottlers

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Australian School buys back Water from Commercial Bottlers

Postby Cetacea » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:57 pm

As the Australia drought intensifies and temperatures rise towards 50C, the Tamborine Mountain State School in Queensland has run out of water. Thats despite Water Miners still sending roughly 2.5m litres a week (130 m litres per year) down the mountain to large commercial bottling operations.

“Now the government is buying water back from Coca-Cola to bring here, which is where it came from in the first place.” one local lamented referring to the Education Departments undertaking to deliver water to the School.

The community wants the state’s natural resources minister, Anthony Lynham, to use emergency powers to prioritise local supply. Lynham said in a statement he understood the concerns of residents and the impact of the drought on their water supply.

“As I have previously said, groundwater is not regulated on Mount Tamborine and so my department does not have the power to limit take. I do have the power to limit take in a declared water shortage – but that is everyone’s take, including local farmers, households, and businesses.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... CRnOPtjdYA

SO thristy consumers of NSG, what do you think of this situation?

In my opinion its absolutely abominable that the Queensland Government does not intervene - declare an emergency water shortage and use it to reallocate water rights in the area to ensure that the aquifers remain refreshed and the local community is priorities over commercial takes. I'm not anti commercial bottling, but I am against profit driven exploitation of water. The Environment needs to be guaranteed at least 40% of the flow remains in the natural water system and the remainder allocated to ensure residential drinking water supplies are priorities.
Thats even more so in a country like Australia where droughts are common and with climate change appear to be getting progressively worse.
Last edited by Cetacea on Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samadhi
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Samadhi » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Just scrap the school system and replace it with YouTube and give the rest of us our money back.
18 and female
Voluntaryist.
Enjoys watching social democrats act like authoritarian hell states are that much worse than them.
It's all slavery baby.
Proud cat mum, I love Snowy and Hijinks.

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:02 pm

charge the companies drought prices

x10000 the base price

Kaystein
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaystein » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:41 pm

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... a-is-here/

Why not follow Israel's path and start building desalination plants?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:34 pm

Cetacea wrote:As the Australia drought intensifies and temperatures rise towards 50C, the Tamborine Mountain State School in Queensland has run out of water. Thats despite Water Miners still sending roughly 2.5m litres a week (130 m litres per year) down the mountain to large commercial bottling operations.

“Now the government is buying water back from Coca-Cola to bring here, which is where it came from in the first place.” one local lamented referring to the Education Departments undertaking to deliver water to the School.

The community wants the state’s natural resources minister, Anthony Lynham, to use emergency powers to prioritise local supply. Lynham said in a statement he understood the concerns of residents and the impact of the drought on their water supply.

“As I have previously said, groundwater is not regulated on Mount Tamborine and so my department does not have the power to limit take. I do have the power to limit take in a declared water shortage – but that is everyone’s take, including local farmers, households, and businesses.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... CRnOPtjdYA

SO thristy consumers of NSG, what do you think of this situation?

In my opinion its absolutely abominable that the Queensland Government does not intervene - declare an emergency water shortage and use it to reallocate water rights in the area to ensure that the aquifers remain refreshed and the local community is priorities over commercial takes. I'm not anti commercial bottling, but I am against profit driven exploitation of water. The Environment needs to be guaranteed at least 40% of the flow remains in the natural water system and the remainder allocated to ensure residential drinking water supplies are priorities.
Thats even more so in a country like Australia where droughts are common and with climate change appear to be getting progressively worse.

Piss poor planning by the school is not an emergency for CocaCola. they can pay market rates for the water like everyone else.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:20 am

Is Coca-Cola bottling bore water? I'm confused.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:28 am

If you ask me natural resources necessary for survival such as water should only be sold if there is enough left over after all the reasonable needs of the people have been met. And by reasonable I mean cooking, bathing and drinking in this case and not florida levels of lawn watering. But I think you could have figured that out anyway.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:42 am

Anthony Lyneham, natural resources minister wrote:Of that five per cent, farmers use almost 84 per cent of the extracted groundwater for horticulture, households almost 11 per cent, and bottled water operations, about five per cent

If the groundwater at Tambourine Mountain is good enough to bottle, maybe it's too good to use for irrigation?

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:12 am

Purpelia wrote:If you ask me natural resources necessary for survival such as water should only be sold if there is enough left over after all the reasonable needs of the people have been met. And by reasonable I mean cooking, bathing and drinking in this case and not florida levels of lawn watering. But I think you could have figured that out anyway.

As a former Floridian, I hate seeing people watering their lawns. For fuck's sake, it will rain soon enough, it's not like California where droughts last for months. One time there was a whole October without rain but that was the longest I ever saw in Florida.

I don't think any raw resources should be private property.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Isles of Metanoia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Isles of Metanoia » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:17 am

This is sad. Fresh Water should either be managed or should come from Desalinization.
From the Philippines; Roman Catholic but Cosmopolitan; A member of the Alt-Lite.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:26 am

Page wrote:
Purpelia wrote:If you ask me natural resources necessary for survival such as water should only be sold if there is enough left over after all the reasonable needs of the people have been met. And by reasonable I mean cooking, bathing and drinking in this case and not florida levels of lawn watering. But I think you could have figured that out anyway.

As a former Floridian, I hate seeing people watering their lawns. For fuck's sake, it will rain soon enough, it's not like California where droughts last for months. One time there was a whole October without rain but that was the longest I ever saw in Florida.

I don't think any raw resources should be private property.

They wouldn't have such problems with children on their lawn, if their lawn was made of cactus.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:38 am

Just ban commercial water exports.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General