NATION

PASSWORD

How Can I Improve my Lore and Introductory Factbook?

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Rovikstead
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

How Can I Improve my Lore and Introductory Factbook?

Postby Rovikstead » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:45 am

Introduction to the Rovics FB: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=rov ... id=1285621

Hey guys. I'm currently writing the lore behind my nation residing in Caer Sidi. I wanted some feedback on both the content and the look of the factbook. I'm worried that the lore is unrealistic or uncompelling and that I may have to scrap it, but if that is the case, I would like to know now rather than never. Any feedback is greatly appreciated and please don't hold back on any hard criticism. Thank you to everyone who gives reads and gives feedback
Author of Convention on International Oil Spills, A Convention on Freshwater Shortages
Co-Author of Reducing Food Waste
Former Minister of Culture in TEP
The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:** RED FLAG ** . ** RING CHURCH BELLS ** . ** BESTIALITY ALERT ** . ** CHRISTIANS TAKE COVER **

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:54 am

If I were you, I'd move the first two paragraphs to the 'History' section and rewrite both those paragraphs and the section as a whole to be more like a historical account than an introduction to a fantasy novel. That said, you're working with a setting that has very prominent magic, so I wouldn't worry too much about things being unrealistic or 'not scientific enough'. Don't chalk everything up to 'a wizard did it', plotholes are still plotholes after all, but don't make realism your primary concern.

All told, your factbook is actually pretty good, probably better than most of mine and definitely better than most of the ones I've seen. I can tell that it could use some improvement, but offering specific advice on how to rewrite your factbook is beyond my writing skill.

Rovikstead
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rovikstead » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:16 pm

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:If I were you, I'd move the first two paragraphs to the 'History' section and rewrite both those paragraphs and the section as a whole to be more like a historical account than an introduction to a fantasy novel. That said, you're working with a setting that has very prominent magic, so I wouldn't worry too much about things being unrealistic or 'not scientific enough'. Don't chalk everything up to 'a wizard did it', plotholes are still plotholes after all, but don't make realism your primary concern.

All told, your factbook is actually pretty good, probably better than most of mine and definitely better than most of the ones I've seen. I can tell that it could use some improvement, but offering specific advice on how to rewrite your factbook is beyond my writing skill.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it.
Author of Convention on International Oil Spills, A Convention on Freshwater Shortages
Co-Author of Reducing Food Waste
Former Minister of Culture in TEP
The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:** RED FLAG ** . ** RING CHURCH BELLS ** . ** BESTIALITY ALERT ** . ** CHRISTIANS TAKE COVER **

Return to Factbooks and National Information