NATION

PASSWORD

Should governments give fund to companies and organisations?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Should governments give out subsidies and funding to non-government companies and organisations?

Yes
5
28%
Only to companies
0
No votes
Only to big businesses
0
No votes
Only to small business
3
17%
Only to organisations
1
6%
Only to non-profit organisations
1
6%
Only to for-profit organisations
0
No votes
Smaller amounts of funding is okay
4
22%
No, governments shouldn't be involved in funding companies and organisations
4
22%
 
Total votes : 18

User avatar
Grahnol
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 172
Founded: May 28, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Should governments give fund to companies and organisations?

Postby Grahnol » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:56 pm

I would like to start a discussion thread regarding governments funding non-government-owned bodies such as companies and organisations because I would really like to see the opinion behind government fundings, subsidies and the like.

Personally, I'm pretty suspicious of governments giving out funds to non-government companies and organisations, especially if they're run by politicians because frankly, it feels like the government is favouring one business over the others. I'm fine with loans and smaller subsidies but once we get further up the funding ladder I'm not very trusting of governments funding bodies that aren't connected to them, especially if they big businesses, because they're pretty much promoting a favourite amongst an ocean of businesses. I guess I can kind of understand the government doing that to small businesses but it also feels like they favour them over other small businesses. At that point, they might as well just nationalise the business. I'm not against nationalising businesses at all, but for non-government businesses, funding them leaves a lot of room for businessmen to leverage their power and influence both in and outside of the government as well as room for governments to determine the path and bring possible favour to a specific business

What do you think, NSG?
Last edited by Grahnol on Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Interstellar Domain of Grahnol will take the stars!
FT nation. Nation doesn't reflect my views at all.
No way I'm using those 'tech tier scales' on NS, those are for show-offs.

A liberal (Not by American Standards, I hate the American definition) and green. Not a classical, social, 'modern' or even conservative liberal
America is a superpower so that you don't have to bow to China.
Political Compass results | 8values results


User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 102431
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:57 pm

I think some examples of government doing this would be excellent, but I'm a Mod and we think weirdly.
Freedom ... or cake. ~ Ashmoria (RIP)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6835
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:58 pm

This is another example of how corporate America has corrupted the free market and our government. If your business can't survive them why should we save it with tax payer dollars? If bob's burgers sucks so bad for example that no one wants to go there, isn't giving them a bailout akin to forcing me at gunpoint to go there, buy a burger and sink my teeth into the disgusting uncooked raw meat and have rotten lettuce while crying tears of agony?

The short answer is no
political compass:

Economic Left/Right: -0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.38
pro: marijuana, gun rights, private property, and sexy brown women

anti: fascism, communism, islamism, sexism, pan africanism, La raza, Warren Police Department (and most of the other police departments of metro Detroit except for Auburn Hills. They're aight), gun control, trump, obama, bush, clinton, reagan, carter, chipotle and snotty in crowd teens. Ugh I can't deal with them
Half Lebanese, Half Puerto Rican. All american. Not Kurdish at all.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lilahdog567/

User avatar
Kowani
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18104
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:01 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:This is another example of how corporate America has corrupted the free market and our government. If your business can't survive them why should we save it with tax payer dollars? If bob's burgers sucks so bad for example that no one wants to go there, isn't giving them a bailout akin to forcing me at gunpoint to go there, buy a burger and sink my teeth into the disgusting uncooked raw meat and have rotten lettuce while crying tears of agony?

The short answer is no

This is quite possibly the stupidest argument you could’ve possibly made.
Atheist and still proud of it. Spanish Expat.
Post-Capitalist, Post-Nationalist. Rights are functionally just privileges society has deemed important.
Seangoli wrote:You are spouting nonsensical drivel with no coherent thought, little logic, and at the end of it all just angry opining at the clouds based on a truly astonishly low level of knowledge or understanding of the subject matter.

Turbofolkia wrote:And it’s not like the 1000 different offshoots of Protestantism that you have in America are any better. Even if they’re not abusing children, it’s just megachurches filled with people on mobility strollers donating their life savings to Pastor Hamburglar so that he can buy his sixth McMansion.

0% Capitalism

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 53482
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:03 pm

Why stop at subsidies? Let’s not half ass it, let’s go all the way and nationalize everything
Male, Titoist cultural nationalist, lives somewhere in the Deep South, give me any good Irish, Canadian, or Scottish whiskey and I will be your friend for life. I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies
Click Here for RP Info Embassy Program
Ambassadors to the WA:
Ambassador to the GA Jon Æthr
Ambassador to the SC Eve Šanœ

RIP Dya

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6835
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:04 pm

Kowani wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:This is another example of how corporate America has corrupted the free market and our government. If your business can't survive them why should we save it with tax payer dollars? If bob's burgers sucks so bad for example that no one wants to go there, isn't giving them a bailout akin to forcing me at gunpoint to go there, buy a burger and sink my teeth into the disgusting uncooked raw meat and have rotten lettuce while crying tears of agony?

The short answer is no

This is quite possibly the stupidest argument you could’ve possibly made.


couldn't be as stupid as you throwing around insults without any actual points. I don't think we should prop up businesses that can't succeed in the least.
political compass:

Economic Left/Right: -0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.38
pro: marijuana, gun rights, private property, and sexy brown women

anti: fascism, communism, islamism, sexism, pan africanism, La raza, Warren Police Department (and most of the other police departments of metro Detroit except for Auburn Hills. They're aight), gun control, trump, obama, bush, clinton, reagan, carter, chipotle and snotty in crowd teens. Ugh I can't deal with them
Half Lebanese, Half Puerto Rican. All american. Not Kurdish at all.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lilahdog567/

User avatar
Grahnol
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 172
Founded: May 28, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Grahnol » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:06 pm

Thermodolia wrote:Why stop at subsidies? Let’s not half ass it, let’s go all the way and nationalize everything

Lmfao. Seriously though I'm not a fan of nationalising everything because I think we should give involvement and control to non-government people and private corporations. I do believe there are some industries and sectors the government should nationalise though.
The Interstellar Domain of Grahnol will take the stars!
FT nation. Nation doesn't reflect my views at all.
No way I'm using those 'tech tier scales' on NS, those are for show-offs.

A liberal (Not by American Standards, I hate the American definition) and green. Not a classical, social, 'modern' or even conservative liberal
America is a superpower so that you don't have to bow to China.
Political Compass results | 8values results


User avatar
Kowani
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18104
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:07 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Kowani wrote:This is quite possibly the stupidest argument you could’ve possibly made.


couldn't be as stupid as you throwing around insults without any actual points. I don't think we should prop up businesses that can't succeed in the least.

Entirely false. You see, subsidies are not “paying people to patronize the place”, and bailouts don’t force anyone to purchase anything. Your argument that bailouts are just forcing people to go there at gunpoint is factually wrong.
Atheist and still proud of it. Spanish Expat.
Post-Capitalist, Post-Nationalist. Rights are functionally just privileges society has deemed important.
Seangoli wrote:You are spouting nonsensical drivel with no coherent thought, little logic, and at the end of it all just angry opining at the clouds based on a truly astonishly low level of knowledge or understanding of the subject matter.

Turbofolkia wrote:And it’s not like the 1000 different offshoots of Protestantism that you have in America are any better. Even if they’re not abusing children, it’s just megachurches filled with people on mobility strollers donating their life savings to Pastor Hamburglar so that he can buy his sixth McMansion.

0% Capitalism

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6835
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:10 pm

Kowani wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
couldn't be as stupid as you throwing around insults without any actual points. I don't think we should prop up businesses that can't succeed in the least.

Entirely false. You see, subsidies are not “paying people to patronize the place”, and bailouts don’t force anyone to purchase anything. Your argument that bailouts are just forcing people to go there at gunpoint is factually wrong.


Thanks for totally misunderstanding my argument. Maybe you need a more literal representation of the problem.

When you give money to businesses, the money doesn't come from nowhere Kowani. Someone pays up. Guess where government funds come from? Tax payers. When a business is subsidized, our money goes toward keeping it afloat, even if we would never actually go there and directly pay them a cent.

Subsidizing a hydroelectric plant is one thing, but giving subsides to tesla, an actual company that engages in real business, is unacceptable. It's time they sink or swim out there.

Understand?
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
political compass:

Economic Left/Right: -0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.38
pro: marijuana, gun rights, private property, and sexy brown women

anti: fascism, communism, islamism, sexism, pan africanism, La raza, Warren Police Department (and most of the other police departments of metro Detroit except for Auburn Hills. They're aight), gun control, trump, obama, bush, clinton, reagan, carter, chipotle and snotty in crowd teens. Ugh I can't deal with them
Half Lebanese, Half Puerto Rican. All american. Not Kurdish at all.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lilahdog567/

User avatar
Xuloqoia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1130
Founded: Oct 05, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Xuloqoia » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Thermodolia wrote:Why stop at subsidies? Let’s not half ass it, let’s go all the way and nationalize everything


I mean, I can't fault that logic. If government intervention in the affairs of markets is a slippery slope, then let us slide down it as fast as we can. :p
Is the user formerly known as The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord; add roughly 6,000+ posts to the count.

Hanafuridake wrote:
Edict of Emperor Swag of Mohist Thought upon ascending the throne wrote:"Previously our subjects cherished selfish and egoistic thought and had no concern for the greater good. The world has thus become disordered and living beings lived in a state of animalistic hostility to each other. But now Heaven has granted us the throne and we shall restore the Proper Way of the Collective Harmony. Huá and Yí will live in peace, yin and yang shall interpenetrate, the exemplary behavior of Yao and Shun will be followed by all."

User avatar
Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9303
Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:12 pm

What about general subsidies to encourage beneficial economic habits, like subsidising solar power, or home insulation?
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

User avatar
Grahnol
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 172
Founded: May 28, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Grahnol » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:17 pm

Kowani wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
couldn't be as stupid as you throwing around insults without any actual points. I don't think we should prop up businesses that can't succeed in the least.

Entirely false. You see, subsidies are not “paying people to patronize the place”, and bailouts don’t force anyone to purchase anything. Your argument that bailouts are just forcing people to go there at gunpoint is factually wrong.

They don't but favouring companies through such means makes it unfair, plus, I have to agree with RFS that the taxpayer's money is better put in some other investment instead of a government desperately trying to favour big businesses through the excuse of 'tOO BiG to diE' or small businesses under the guise of 'sO MuCh poTEnTIal'.

One situation where I can understand such means is when literally every business is desperate like in an economic crisis and even then, the government shouldn't be too lavish and they should try to put them back up to being able to do business profitably again and not just constantly fund them for a long while.
The Interstellar Domain of Grahnol will take the stars!
FT nation. Nation doesn't reflect my views at all.
No way I'm using those 'tech tier scales' on NS, those are for show-offs.

A liberal (Not by American Standards, I hate the American definition) and green. Not a classical, social, 'modern' or even conservative liberal
America is a superpower so that you don't have to bow to China.
Political Compass results | 8values results


User avatar
Libertasnia
Attaché
 
Posts: 82
Founded: Jul 11, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Libertasnia » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:32 pm

Grahnol wrote:I guess I can kind of understand the government doing that to small businesses but it also feels like they favour them over other small businesses. At that point, they might as well just nationalise the business. I'm not against nationalising businesses at all, but for non-government businesses, funding them leaves a lot of room for businessmen to leverage their power and influence both in and outside of the government as well as room for governments to determine the path and bring possible favour to a specific business

What do you think, NSG?

I think, if we must have a system where there is no nationalization, the government should subsidize research NGOs, small businesses, co-operatives, small farms unaffiliated with corporations, and non-profits; there should also be a separate system for subsidizing specific industries that the elected government wants to encourage, such as solar power or nuclear energy, etc. The businesses that are subsidized should also be monitored very strictly and have to pay back however much money they are subsidized each tax year if they meet a threshold which legislation or contract between the business and state determines their profits are sufficient to pay back the subsidies. There should also be a set year in every subsidization contract where the subsidies are gradually phased out, and a set year where they stop completely so the business is no longer reliant on the government.

As for nationalization, I'd prefer it :p
Universalist/nontheist Quaker and Marxist-Leninist.
Pro: Pro-Choice, Palestine, Communism, Marxist-Leninism, Party for Socialism and Liberation

Mixed: Democratic "Socialism", Bernie Sanders, Jeremy Corbyn, Trotskyism, Original Ba'athism, Libertarian Socialism

Anti: Pro-Life, Right-Libertarianism, Fascism, National "Socialism", Conservatism, Modern Liberalism, Trump, Blairism, American Republican Party

User avatar
US-SSR
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1336
Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby US-SSR » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:36 pm

No, but since under capitalism government is bought and paid for by corporations inter alia they will keep doing it.
I WANT NOTHING
I WANT NOTHING

WHERE IS THE WHISTLEBLOWER?
No phony Emoluments Clause!

User avatar
Bear Stearns
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5419
Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Corporate Bordello

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:40 pm

For many things, the government is often incapable of doing it itself, so it outsources the function to a third-party, usually a business or a non-profit. I think these need to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

User avatar
Senkaku
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16938
Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Senkaku » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:42 pm

If it's in the country's strategic interests or there's some sort of demonstrable benefit to society, sure (though then there should be a debate as to if it should be nationalized or not). Throwing cash at oil companies or letting tech companies write off their taxes, though? That shit shouldn't fly.
Instagay

User avatar
The Black Forrest
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36135
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:43 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:For many things, the government is often incapable of doing it itself, so it outsources the function to a third-party, usually a business or a non-profit. I think these need to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.


Having been in that world? It’s not as bad as that. Republicans like to outsource as they can give money to friends. Reagan was big into that.

Some cases? Sure. It makes sense.

As you mentioned, case-by-case.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

User avatar
Cekoviu
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12159
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:48 pm

I've waffled on corporate welfare before. I think this could be a good way of combating climate change, but it probably has limited uses otherwise.
Я не знаю русский, потому что я не арабка
she/her
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

User avatar
Antityranicals
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1767
Founded: May 18, 2019
Capitalizt

Postby Antityranicals » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:55 pm

Given how I believe that taxation is theft, of course I'm not okay with governments giving tax money to companies, any more than I'm okay with them spending it themselves. However, putting aside this conviction of mine, what exactly is the moral distinction between tax money going to internal government functions or individual welfare versus corporate and organizational welfare? And do you think that welfare is wrong for the same reasons as these funds are wrong? I'd be happy for thoughts.
Last edited by Antityranicals on Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: 5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

User avatar
UniversalCommons
Minister
 
Posts: 2929
Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby UniversalCommons » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:57 pm

Corporate welfare is nonsense. The government collects your taxes to run the government not the neighbors business. You should give your taxes for standard government activities like roads, libraries, police schools, and the military. Every penny should be accounted for and displayed publicly. Why should the government be giving away your taxes to something other than the government. Businesses should borrow money from the government, not get handouts and then pay us back. Businesses are high risk enterprises to start. So are organizations when they start. Business and government together often create corruption. Church and government together creates morality laws.

The purpose of your tax money is to provide common payments that are cheaper for universal services like the police, fire, and military. You should be receiving scaled payments for schooling, military, and similar activities. It should be cheaper and better to get these services through taxes than as an individual payee.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Antityranicals
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1767
Founded: May 18, 2019
Capitalizt

Postby Antityranicals » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:01 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:Corporate welfare is nonsense. The government collects your taxes to run the government not the neighbors business. You should give your taxes for standard government activities like roads, libraries, police schools, and the military. Every penny should be accounted for and displayed publicly. Why should the government be giving away your taxes to something other than the government. Businesses should borrow money from the government, not get handouts and then pay us back. Businesses are high risk enterprises to start. So are organizations when they start. Business and government together often create corruption. Church and government together creates morality laws.

What's the moral difference between using tax dollars to provide services such as police and schools and using tax dollars to help other organizations provide different services? Why does spending being directly handled by the government matter?
Last edited by Antityranicals on Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: 5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

User avatar
Antityranicals
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1767
Founded: May 18, 2019
Capitalizt

Postby Antityranicals » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:02 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:It should be cheaper and better to get these services through taxes than as an individual payee.

Given the track records of governments, I think there's cause for significant doubt there...
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: 5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

User avatar
UniversalCommons
Minister
 
Posts: 2929
Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby UniversalCommons » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:12 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
UniversalCommons wrote:Corporate welfare is nonsense. The government collects your taxes to run the government not the neighbors business. You should give your taxes for standard government activities like roads, libraries, police schools, and the military. Every penny should be accounted for and displayed publicly. Why should the government be giving away your taxes to something other than the government. Businesses should borrow money from the government, not get handouts and then pay us back. Businesses are high risk enterprises to start. So are organizations when they start. Business and government together often create corruption. Church and government together creates morality laws.

What's the moral difference between using tax dollars to provide services such as police and schools and using tax dollars to help other organizations provide such services? Why does spending being directly handled by the government matter?


The purpose of business is the bottom line. If it does not serve the bottom line for a mercenary corporation to defend you, they will not do it, or will do it in the most cost effective way, not necessarily the best way. The same is true for any business function. It is not morality, but the practicality of business. In the long run, profit is what runs a business not teaching your children if you are contracting out to a public company for your schools.

Replacing the ideal of defending your country for the ideal of making money can be a huge mistake. Some of the companies that build military equipment for example charge huge fees which are unnecessary.

The same is true if you turn over a food program to a church and pay them. You get both the cost of the food and the sermon, not just the food program. A lot of organizations do not have the same motivations as your basic civil service employee. There are often agendas outside of what an agency does when you turn over the agencies functions to a nonprofit. You get that extra sauce and the service ceases to be neutral.

It is why when you hire a consultant for a government job, they will often take a longer time to do something, they get paid more versus a flat employee salary. The government is not primarily motivated by money. It is a mix of control and power. You get different results.

There are also issues of transparency. The government is a public function, its budgets, spending, and actions are supposed to be visible to the public and accountable to the public. There are supposed to be clear standardized rules in how a civil employee has to act. These rules are very different for a private organization or company.

A private corporation does not have to have public disclosure at the same level as the government. What happens with contractors funding is in some ways less accountable than direct payment.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 53482
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:53 am

Senkaku wrote:If it's in the country's strategic interests or there's some sort of demonstrable benefit to society, sure (though then there should be a debate as to if it should be nationalized or not). Throwing cash at oil companies or letting tech companies write off their taxes, though? That shit shouldn't fly.

Instead we should nationalize the tech companies, and oil industry, and power companies, and the transportation industry, the airlines, auto manufacturers, and other things
Male, Titoist cultural nationalist, lives somewhere in the Deep South, give me any good Irish, Canadian, or Scottish whiskey and I will be your friend for life. I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies
Click Here for RP Info Embassy Program
Ambassadors to the WA:
Ambassador to the GA Jon Æthr
Ambassador to the SC Eve Šanœ

RIP Dya

User avatar
Samadhi
Diplomat
 
Posts: 968
Founded: Sep 24, 2019
Anarchy

Postby Samadhi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:56 am

Governments shouldn't exist.
18 and female
Voluntaryist.
Enjoys watching social democrats act like authoritarian hell states are that much worse than them.
It's all slavery baby.
Proud cat mum, I love Snowy and Hijinks.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Afrigidoloco, Blargoblarg, Cyaah, Forumland, Fupiju, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Heloin, LiberNovusAmericae, Napkizemlja, Neanderthaland, New Cobastheia, Prydania, Purgatio, SD_Film Artists, Souseiseki, The Dark System, The Greater Ohio Valley, Tybra, Tyrassueb, Uiiop, Vassenor

Advertisement

Remove ads