NATION

PASSWORD

[submitted] Vive La Deferens

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

[submitted] Vive La Deferens

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:27 pm

It occurred to me that sterilisation reversal is not a topic that we have covered before. And the title came to me quite quickly, which is unusual.

Without further ado:

Draft 2
[Title] Vive La Deferens

[validity] If marriage is allowed, divorce must be allowed; Contraception Allowed; No parental license; Class nations excluded

[description] When @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@ left his long-term partner for a new woman, the first thing they discussed was having children. Unfortunately, Mr. @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@ had a vasectomy fifteen years ago, after he and his previous partner decided never to reproduce. Now, he is asking the government fund his vasectomy reversal.

[option] Arriving at your office in a brand new Discrīmine sports-car, the slightly paunchy Mr. @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@ exclaims, "I made a horrible mistake all those years ago!" He unfurls a photograph of his ex-partner which he has marked 'Exhibit A'. "But now I have met the perfect woman: long gorgeous legs, beautiful as... pirations, and a huge pair of b... brain cells. She's very smart... obviously, she fell for me. But she really wants to be a mother, and may leave me if I can't give her a child. Don't let one ancient mistake deprive us of the chance of parenthood and ruin my relationship. The NHS should offer free vasectomy reversals to all men who have experienced a big life-change."
[effect] couples downsizing to a studio apartment are asked if now's a good time for children
[validity] Nationalised health care

[option] Arriving at your office in a brand new Discrīmine sports-car, the slightly paunchy Mr. @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@ exclaims, "I made a horrible mistake all those years ago!" He unfurls a photograph of his ex-partner which he has marked 'Exhibit A'. "But now I have met the perfect woman: long gorgeous legs, beautiful as... pirations, and a huge pair of b... brain cells. She's very smart... obviously, she fell for me. But she really wants to be a mother, and may leave me if I can't give her a child. Don't let one ancient mistake deprive us of the chance of parenthood and ruin my relationship. You should issue government coupons for free vasectomy reversals to all men who have experienced a big life-change."
[effect] couples downsizing to a studio apartment are asked if now's a good time for children
[validity] No nationalised health care

[option] "Hold it! I know it's hard, but we have to nip this kind of spendthrift attitude in the bud!" snaps your Minister for the Prevention of Bloat, stiffly producing a list of figures. "Do you want us to be like Ausblic -- a health department stuck paying for every little thing that pops up? If men want a vasovasostomy or any other non-essential treatment, they should pay for it themselves. It's not like there isn't medical insurance and bank loans to firm up the markets. We must stand to attention, constantly aware of all government wastage."
[effect] changing your mind is not a snip
[validity] Has capitalism

[option] "Hold it! We have to nip this kind of spendthrift attitude in the bud!" snaps your Minister for the Prevention of Bloat, stiffly producing a list of figures. "Do you want us to be like Ausblic -- a health department stuck paying for every little thing that pops up? If men want a vasovasostomy, or any other non-essential treatment, that's just too bad. We must stand firm, constantly cutting all government wastage. Tell those who want reversals: flip-flopping is counterrevolutionary."
[validity] No capitalism and nationalised health care

[option] "The issue with giving Mr. @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@ a vasovasostomy is not just the expense but that it is probably pointless," insists the Minister of Health. "After all this time, there's a thirty percent chance of success, at most. We can spend the money on more useful things -- like a fantastic new coffee maker for the ministry... hip surgery, I meant hip surgery. However, for compassion's sake, we can offer reversal surgery within ten years, if both partners are healthy, on a case-by-case basis."
[effect] it's two hips but no hooray for many @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@

[option] "As always, the holy save the day when the worldly fail!" declares self-named pro-natalist activist Bertha Lott, of organisation Plop 'Til You Drop, entering beneath a light that her assistant holds behind her head. "My organisation provides free vasectomy and ligation reversals to all lost little sinners who once threw away the gift the Creator gave them and wandered into sin, iniquity and the torment of physical interaction for fun. All we ask is that you regularly promote our organisation in all media outlets. Our volunteers will do the rest."
[effect] the first step of receiving medical care is accepting the Creator as your saviour
[validity] religion not illegal

[option] "I can't believe we allow sterilisation procedures in @@NAME@@," gasps the Minister for the Promotion of Bloat, just returned from a vacation for the sake of everyone else's health. "An often irreversible, invasive procedure? One leading to pain, requiring things to be numbed, cut, tied, tie-dyed... whatever! How did it get passed in the first place? People must always be able to change their minds about any treatment -- no matter what it is. Ban any invasive treatment that hurts or can't be reversed. Find a better way!"
[effect] scientists are currently researching the possibility of kittens kneading vital intravenous drugs into patients

[Title] Vive La Deferens

[validity] If marriage is allowed, divorce must be allowed; Contraception Allowed; No parental license; Class nations excluded

[description] When @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@ left his long-term partner for a new woman, the first thing they discussed was having children. Unfortunately, Mr. @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@ had a vasectomy fifteen years ago, after he and his previous partner decided never to reproduce. Now, he is asking the government to provide vasectomy reversals free.

[option] Arriving at your office in a brand new Discrīmine sports-car, the slightly paunchy Mr. @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@ exclaims, "I made a horrible mistake all those years ago!" He unfurls a photograph of his ex-partner which he has marked 'Exhibit A'. "But now I have met the perfect woman: long gorgeous legs, beautiful as... pirations, and a huge pair of b... brain cells. She's very smart... obviously, she fell for me. But she may leave me if I can't give her children. She'll make a terrific mother. Don't let my foolish mistake deprive us of the chance of parenthood. Offer free vasectomy reversals to all men who have experienced a big life-change."

[option] "Hold it! I know it's hard, but we have to nip this kind of spendthrift attitude in the bud!" snaps your Minister for the Prevention of Bloat, stiffly producing a list of figures. "Do you want us to be like Ausblic -- a health department stuck paying for every little thing that pops up? If men want a vasovasostomy or any other non-essential treatment, they should pay for it themselves. We must stand to attention, constantly aware of all government wastage."

[option] "The issue with giving Mr. @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@ a vasovasostomy is not that it is expensive for the coffers but that it is probably pointless," insists the Minister of Health. "After this long, there is a thirty percent chance of success, at most. There are simply more useful things we can spend our money on -- like a fantastic new coffee maker for the ministry... hip surgery, I meant hip surgery. I suggest we only provide vasectomy reversal surgery within ten years, if both partners are healthy."

[option] "As always, the holy save the day when the worldly fail!" declares self-named pro-natalist activist Bertha Lott, of organisation Plop 'Til You Drop, entering beneath a light that her assistant holds behind her head. "My organisation provides free vasectomy and ligation reversals to all lost little sinners who once threw away the gift the Creator gave them and wandered into sin, iniquity and the torment of physical interaction for fun. All we ask is that you regularly promote our organisation in all media outlets. Our volunteers will do the rest."
[effect] the first step of receiving medical care is accepting the Creator as your saviour

[option] "I can't believe we allow sterilisation procedures in @@NAME@@," gasps the Minister for the Promotion of Bloat, just returned from a vacation for the sake of everyone else's health. "An often irreversible, invasive procedure? One leading to pain, requiring things to be numbed, cut, tied, tie-dyed... whatever! How did it get passed in the first place? People must always be able to change their minds about any treatment -- no matter what it is. Ban any invasive treatment that hurts or can't be reversed. Find a better way!"
[effect] scientists are currently researching the possibility of kittens kneading vital intravenous drugs into patients

[Title] Vive La Deferens

[description] When @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@ left his long-term partner for a new woman, the first thing they discussed was having children. Unfortunately, Mr. @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@ had a vasectomy fifteen years ago, after he and his previous partner decided never to reproduce. Now, he is asking the government to provide vasectomy reversals free.

[option] Arriving at your office in a brand new Discrīmine sports-car, the slightly paunchy Mr. @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@ exclaims, "I made a horrible mistake all those years ago!" He unfurls a photograph of his ex-partner which he has marked 'Exhibit A'. "But now I have met the perfect woman: long gorgeous legs, beautiful as... pirations, and a huge pair of b... brain cells. She's very smart... obviously, she fell for me. But she may leave me if I can't give her children. She'll make a terrific mother. Don't let my foolish mistake deprive us of the chance of parenthood. Offer free vasectomy reversals to all men who have experienced a big life-change."

[option] "Hold it! I know it's hard, but we have to nip this kind of spendthrift attitude in the bud!" snaps your Minister for the Prevention of Bloat, stiffly producing a list of figures. "Do you want us to be like Ausblic -- a health department stuck paying for every little thing that pops up? If men want a vasovasostomy, they should pay for it themselves. We must stand to attention, constantly aware of all government wastage."

[option] "The issue with giving Mr. @@RANDOMSURNAME_1@@ a vasovasostomy is not that it is expensive for the coffers but that it is probably pointless," insists the Minister of Health. "At this stage, there is a thirty percent chance of success, at most. There are simply more useful things we can spend our money on -- like a fantastic new coffee maker for the ministry... hip surgery, I meant hip surgery. I suggest we provide the surgery within ten years, and only if both partners are healthy."

Open for comment.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:24 am, edited 16 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:40 am

It's a creative idea! Not sure about some of the humour though; some of that may be a tad crass for the game.
Also — the second option sounds like it would have the same functionality as the "Dismiss Issue" button. Don't know if that's a problem…
Fun idea for an issue, though! :) It could definitely work!
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:21 am

Option 3- so what about all the younger men? And in either case, 30% isn't that unlikely
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:57 am

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:It's a creative idea! Not sure about some of the humour though; some of that may be a tad crass for the game.

Not sure about that. We have an issue on erectile dysfunction medication, and this doesn't seem stronger than that. Others might disagree, and I can always tone it down if common consensus is it's too strong.
Also — the second option sounds like it would have the same functionality as the "Dismiss Issue" button. Don't know if that's a problem…
Fun idea for an issue, though! :) It could definitely work!

Thanks.

Second option adjusted to make it more active in defunding non-essential treatments.

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 3- so what about all the younger men? And in either case, 30% isn't that unlikely

It's unlikely enough to work as a con position.

Draft 1.1 up.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:07 am

In real life medicine, vasectomies are always preceded by a discussion session where we establish that the procedure should be treated as irreversible, simply because the reversal procedure has such a low success rate. We also specifically ask them "if you ever found your current relationship ended, are you confident that you would never want children with another woman?".

Thus it is the case that anyone who has had a vasectomy has theoretically done so with full consent and a full understanding of the procedure being treated as irreversible.

As to the funding decisions around specific operations being publicly funded, in the NHS at least that occurs on a service commissioning level where a benefit-cost analysis is made, and judgements are made on a national or locality level. Here's the NHS guidance on why it doesn't meet the bar: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contracep ... ersal-nhs/

In a nation with no social healthcare, the question of course is more about whether insurance policies should cover vasectomy reversals... which they generally don't, of course.

Honestly, the question of whether vasectomy reversals should be funded is small detail medicine. Title pun aside, why is this a more relevant issue than varicose vein surgery funding, or inguinal hernia repair, or breast reduction surgery, or cosmetic skin lesion removal, or excision of lipomata, and so on and so forth?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:05 am

Thank you for your feedback CWA, but I will defend my issue. And not just because of the delightful pun.

Up to 10% of men seek a reversal, especially with the rising number of divorces. And at least one PCT has previously funded a vasectomy reversal (admittedly, this is because he lost his child in an accident, but it shows it's not completely outside the realms of reality). Some CCGs are willing to fund reversals in exceptional circumstances, i.e. parents that have lost a child or to patients who were coerced.

Not every issue has to be this earth-shattering thing. There is room in the base for lighter issues.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Honestly, the question of whether vasectomy reversals should be funded is small detail medicine. Title pun aside, why is this a more relevant issue than varicose vein surgery funding, or inguinal hernia repair, or breast reduction surgery, or cosmetic skin lesion removal, or excision of lipomata, and so on and so forth?

There's room for issues on other health related topics in the base, IMO. It's not an either/or.

For instance, there is a religious American organisation that does offer free reversals of tubal ligation and vasectomies (per option four). This issue is very narrowly focused on that area.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:00 am

Well, it IS a great title.

In that case I'd suggest that the issue at least needs to distinguish between nations with national healthcare or not, and tailoring the options accordingly.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:09 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Well, it IS a great title.

In that case I'd suggest that the issue at least needs to distinguish between nations with national healthcare or not, and tailoring the options accordingly.

Thank you for the feedback. Will do.

EDIT: Draft 2 up.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?