NATION

PASSWORD

Are religion and science compatible?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Yes.
61%
No.
30%
Other (please specify)
8%

Total votes : 392

Beatitas
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 07, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Beatitas » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:57 am

In all of human history, religion and science are the two things that we resort to in order to find the answers to the world.

They seem at times to disagree with each other, prompting some to believe in the incompatibility of religion and science. For example, in Christianity, one of the world's leading religions, the world was created by God in six days. On the other hand, the Big Bang theory, the leading scientific theory for the creation of the universe, states that the universe and all in it originated from an infinitely dense singularity which then expanded.

Others argue that the two are completely compatible and may even benefit each other. They say that religion and science attempt to answer two different questions, "Why does the world exist?" and "How does the world exist?" respectively. They point out that the religious have made many discoveries in science, such as the proposal of the Big Bang theory by a Belgian priest and the many discoveries of the Muslims during the Middle Ages.

What do you think, citizens of NationStates? Are religion and science compatible? Tell us your opinion down below.
O lieb', solang du lieben kannst!
O lieb', solang du lieben magst!
Die Stunde kommt, die Stunde kommt,
Wo du an Gräbern stehst und klagst!

Und sorge, daß dein Herze glüht
Und Liebe hegt und Liebe trägt,
Solang ihm noch ein ander Herz
In Liebe warm entgegenschlägt!

Und wer dir seine Brust erschließt,
O tu ihm, was du kannst, zulieb'!
Und mach' ihm jede Stunde froh,
Und mach ihm keine Stunde trüb!

O love, as long as love you can,
O love, as long as love you may,
The time will come, the time will come
When you will stand at the grave and mourn!

Be sure that your heart burns,
And holds and keeps love
As long as another heart beats warmly
With its love for you

And if someone bears his soul to you
Love him back as best you can
Give his every hour joy,
Let him pass none in sorrow!

Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:03 am

Hell yes! Anti-scientific verses in religion are probably misinterpretations or alterations.
TEMPORARILY USING NSTATS DUE TO LACK OF FACTBOOKS, BUT I'M JUDGING YOU (F7ERS) BY YOUR FACTBOOKS.
<< TERRAN INTERSTELLAR ADMINISTRATION >>
Adminyztrasyn Vilstityr Rasyn

THEMES: Peace | Tension | War | Victory | Defeat | National Anthem
NATIONAL Q&A
"For a vast majority of its existence, mankind dreamed to reach the stars. Yet today, reaching the stars is made a reality through joint endeavor."
- Operations Director of the T.I.A., Hilbert Lachlan Silverwell

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 am

It depends what religion. Many eastern religions seek to explain the universe in an almost scientific way and encourage their followers to discover the truth about life on their own, which promotes education. Taoism is known for being a religion filled with chemists and botanists.

Islam and christianity...well, there's been Muslim and Christian scientists but for the most part, Islam and christianity's basic idea is "these are the facts, pray to God and don't question what we told you." It's why currently a lot of die hard Christians hate the theory of evolution, because it calls their religion into question
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Beatitas
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 07, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Beatitas » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 am

Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory wrote:Hell yes! Anti-scientific verses in religion are probably misinterpretations or alterations.

How can you be sure of that?
O lieb', solang du lieben kannst!
O lieb', solang du lieben magst!
Die Stunde kommt, die Stunde kommt,
Wo du an Gräbern stehst und klagst!

Und sorge, daß dein Herze glüht
Und Liebe hegt und Liebe trägt,
Solang ihm noch ein ander Herz
In Liebe warm entgegenschlägt!

Und wer dir seine Brust erschließt,
O tu ihm, was du kannst, zulieb'!
Und mach' ihm jede Stunde froh,
Und mach ihm keine Stunde trüb!

O love, as long as love you can,
O love, as long as love you may,
The time will come, the time will come
When you will stand at the grave and mourn!

Be sure that your heart burns,
And holds and keeps love
As long as another heart beats warmly
With its love for you

And if someone bears his soul to you
Love him back as best you can
Give his every hour joy,
Let him pass none in sorrow!

Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:13 am

Beatitas wrote:
Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory wrote:Hell yes! Anti-scientific verses in religion are probably misinterpretations or alterations.

It's mostly a personal belief since I consider myself a religious person with a scientific mindset.
TEMPORARILY USING NSTATS DUE TO LACK OF FACTBOOKS, BUT I'M JUDGING YOU (F7ERS) BY YOUR FACTBOOKS.
<< TERRAN INTERSTELLAR ADMINISTRATION >>
Adminyztrasyn Vilstityr Rasyn

THEMES: Peace | Tension | War | Victory | Defeat | National Anthem
NATIONAL Q&A
"For a vast majority of its existence, mankind dreamed to reach the stars. Yet today, reaching the stars is made a reality through joint endeavor."
- Operations Director of the T.I.A., Hilbert Lachlan Silverwell

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:16 am

Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory wrote:
Beatitas wrote:How can you be sure of that?

It's mostly a personal belief since I consider myself a religious person with a scientific mindset.

Aren't at least the western religions kind of anti scientific though just in their premise? The whole idea is "the ancient scroll says there is a dark side. Turn to God or face eternal punishment." And you're just supposed to believe it with no evidence that this book from a time long forgotten is more based on reality than Lord of the Rings.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

HUElavia
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby HUElavia » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:17 am

Yes! As a Christian, I do believe that science is a great way for us to understand the World that God created. Personally, I don't buy into the whole "God created the World in 7 days" as a literal expression, but rather the 7 days represents the millions of years it took for Earth to form and the massive amounts of time for the Universe to form. Science is a way we can come to understand Earth and all the creatures that inhabit the planet.

Generally speaking, I think religion and science can go hand-in-hand for us to understand God and how God made the universe.

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:18 am

Of course they can. Science explains how things happen, but religion often tries to answer why.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:19 am

Is this even a question?

Personally, the answer is yes.

Republic of Astoria | Tarain Asdair | Vasnin Astoir
Updates! | Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | NS stats unused
Jul 21, 2020
✉ ABC News: Forests doing well, but climate change putting pressure on it | #musicparade: listeners choose their favourites | Refugee sews 1000 masks for his new hometown | NCP calls for aid package for companies | New evidence of large temples in Onsteyl | Weather: Footscray ☁ 14°C | Altas ☁ 16° | Esterpine ☁ 15° |  Naltgybal ☂⛆ 13° | Ceirtryn ☀ 17° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel  ☁ 13°

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1! | 10/10 by DGES | Much hope: yes.
Low-effort responses since 15/5/20: 67½ | Good responses since 20/7/20: 5

mit zuckerguß

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:20 am

I am agnostic, and I used to believe that science and religion can be intertwined. But so many contradicting statements exist between the two and I am more compelled by scientific evidence because it is easily presentable unlike the faith that most religion requires.

As for Daoism, I wouldn’t necessarily call it as a religion, but more of a philosophy, as it dicates only a certain way of life and not a heavenly being. For a religion closely intertwined with nature, maybe Shinto religion is a better example?
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Nimzonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nimzonia » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:22 am

Beatitas wrote:What do you think, citizens of NationStates? Are religion and science compatible? Tell us your opinion down below.

It really depends on the religion. If the religion makes claims that are at odds with scientific theory, and insists on them in the face of evidence to the contrary, then no, it's not compatible. Religion sometimes has difficulty updating itself when new evidence becomes available. It's difficult to be compatible with science when your tenets are presented as divine revelation - if you admit any part of it is wrong, it calls the whole thing into question.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:23 am

Rojava Free State wrote:It depends what religion. Many eastern religions seek to explain the universe in an almost scientific way and encourage their followers to discover the truth about life on their own, which promotes education. Taoism is known for being a religion filled with chemists and botanists.

So has just about every faith on earth though.

Islam and christianity...well, there's been Muslim and Christian scientists but for the most part, Islam and christianity's basic idea is "these are the facts, pray to God and don't question what we told you." It's why currently a lot of die hard Christians hate the theory of evolution, because it calls their religion into question

You're spending too much time around American Evangelists.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:24 am

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:I am agnostic, and I used to believe that science and religion can be intertwined. But so many contradicting statements exist between the two and I am more compelled by scientific evidence because it is easily presentable unlike the faith that most religion requires.

As for Daoism, I wouldn’t necessarily call it as a religion, but more of a philosophy, as it dicates only a certain way of life and not a heavenly being. For a religion closely intertwined with nature, maybe Shinto religion is a better example?

What is Buddhism then?

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:25 am

Heloin wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:It depends what religion. Many eastern religions seek to explain the universe in an almost scientific way and encourage their followers to discover the truth about life on their own, which promotes education. Taoism is known for being a religion filled with chemists and botanists.

So has just about every faith on earth though.

You're spending too much time around American Evangelists.

...and die hard Catholics
...and die hard Muslims
...and orthodox Jews

you do understand I live in an area full of people from other countries right? The three predominant faiths where I'm at are basically catholicism, eastern orthodoxy and islam, and they're all based in beliefs that can't be proven, which are in themselves the opposite of the scientific method

Gopnikea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Gopnikea » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:34 am

Of course they are, some religions use science for the proof, and many are scientists such as Avicenna, an Islamic scientist.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:42 am

Heavily context-driven. If we're talking about old Catholicism where scientists were deemed heretics (Galileo, for example)? No. However, religion itself is not incompatible with science. There are plenty of religions out there that either accepts scientific facts or tries to integrate science with their religion (and I am not talking about pseudo-sciences like 'The Earth was created in 6 days and I have proof of it', I'm talking along the lines of 'evolution exists, but the gods guided it').

tl;dr: Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

edit: Okay, Theistic Evolution is pseudo-science. I'll admit it. But it's not inherently a bad idea on the same vein as Flood geologists or Young Earthers
Last edited by Hammer Britannia on Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
All shall tremble before me

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:42 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:I am agnostic, and I used to believe that science and religion can be intertwined. But so many contradicting statements exist between the two and I am more compelled by scientific evidence because it is easily presentable unlike the faith that most religion requires.

What is Buddhism then?

It is a philosophy too. It doesn’t have a supreme being (sorry for the usage of heavenly being, that was wrong on my part) and is a dictation of how a person must run the course of their lives to attain Nirvana.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Voopmont
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 19, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Voopmont » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:44 am

I'm atheist and have been since 7 years old, I don't think they go hand in hand very well because most religions were *invented at a time when they didn't even know what science was. The closest you could get to science at the time was philosophy. This is my argument for why they don't fit together, that he didn't foresee the coming of modern science when a mere human could predict good and bad harvests for the Egyptians (one of Abraham's descendants, I forgot who). Most religions would need major changes to be explained well by science, and the only ways of doing so either require extra dimensions or some rule-bending concept or are extremely inefficient when working well with proven science. If you still think there's a way to mix them then go ahead, I'm not stopping you. I'm only here to spread what I think is right, you might believe something else is. All I want you to know is that religion is an extremely controversial subject which isn't completely proven, so believing if it's right or wrong counts as nothing more than an opinion if you don't have proven facts to back it up. (mods please don't delete me I'm just bad at wording stuff in a friendly way)

*Invented/discovered

Cevlaia
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Cevlaia » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:52 am

Well, it depends I've been non-religious all my life and I know for a fact it's hard to balance science and religion without an augment.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:54 am

Beatitas wrote:

Well,that's the point is it not ?

If the religion teaches truth, religion and science are not incompatable. Science might get things wrong a few times but eventually they will agree.
If the religion teaches falsehoods,it and science will clash.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:10 am

There will always be room for a "god of the gaps" since even the scientific method and mathematics have limits to the number of things they can prove.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Voopmont
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 19, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Voopmont » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:18 am

Valrifell wrote:There will always be room for a "god of the gaps" since even the scientific method and mathematics have limits to the number of things they can prove.

pretty much anything can be proven, if you gather a research team of unbiased scientists, give them access to sufficient funding and equipment and they'd certainly come to a conclusion. The only problem is lack of funding for research like this, and maybe that's a good thing since instead of doing this earlier they proved the existence of the Higgs boson.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:50 am

Don't see why not. Same with lack of religion as well.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:57 am

Well...

It depends on the religion. Some religions such as Taoism do have some relatively scientific beliefs as far as I'm concerned. As for Christianity, the current catholic teachings are that things such the Big Bang and Evolution did happen - that science is just God's way of working.

I'd say mainly no. A lot of religion came around a while before many scientific advancements were made.
Last edited by Nuroblav on Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Imbalistan
Envoy

Founded: May 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imbalistan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:59 am

As a muslim, our religion has made hundreds of discoveries. While I can not say our religion is exactly fully pro-science, we have some scientific aspects to it. Yeah, it could be compatible.
Best Quote:
Chan Island wrote:And I'm expecting this thread to devolve into a
racist and/or religious and/or politics shitshow within 3 pages.
I LOVE YOU THE WAY YOU ARE
Bismillah, no, we will not let you go!
#YangGang2020

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General