NATION

PASSWORD

Nihilism And Climate Change

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Harnandia
Secretary
 
Posts: 28
Founded: Mar 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Nihilism And Climate Change

Postby Harnandia » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:50 pm

As a rather radical nihilist, who doesn't care for the longevity of our planet nor for its living organisms, I was wondering if anyone else had a similar sentiment in regards to climate change? I don't really care if the human race survives for the next 100 or 1000000 years, as I see no objective meaning in existence. The universe does not value our lives, only we do. Seeing all of this paranoia about climate change simply makes me chuckle, because nothing lasts forever, absolutely nothing. All things come to an end and whether the extinction of the entire human race (or the destruction of the planet) happens in a couple of decades or in a thousand years, is irrelevant to me.

(Also, purely for clarification: I am not in denial of climate change, I am fully aware that it is happening via a combination of human and natural activities.
Also, I do not support suffering, therefore yes, in a way I am hypocritical, because climate change will lead to the suffering of humans and animals and I do believe we should ATTEMPT to fight against it and eliminate it during our lifetimes and for the future generations. With that being said, I don't really 'care' for it, if we fail, my feelings would be indifferent)

User avatar
Antityranicals
Minister
 
Posts: 2471
Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:54 pm

I'd argue that using government tyranny to fight climate change will cause more suffering than it could ever alleviate, even if the global warming folks are right, a questionable thing in itself...
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: -5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

User avatar
Les Etats Connuriste
Diplomat
 
Posts: 607
Founded: Jul 31, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Les Etats Connuriste » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

I'm not sure how similar the way I feel is, but although admittedly rather cynical, I see climate change as something that's eventually a self-solving issue. I don't want it to end the human race or the planet (though I expect it to be catastrophic, perhaps ending the world as we know it now, it doesn't necessarily have to be the end of everything) but once it gets to a certain point and lots of people die I'm hopeful the climate can recover.

In summary I think overpopulation is one of the driving factors behind it and once the level of people is lowered to a certain value I think we can start moving forward again.

To be clear, I don't want it to be like that, but I struggle to see it happening any other way. I think it's quite clear that the powers that be either aren't bothered or don't have the ability to take the actions needed to avert something on that level.

User avatar
Torisakia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15091
Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Same here. I couldn't care less about the planet going to shit because the people who live on it and caused climate change are shit so it evens out. Why so many people are just now realizing the planet is dying I have no die. It seems to be like that with a lot of things. If living things suffer because of climate change, well then you have no one to blame but yourself for it. It's like turning the stove on the highest setting then putting your hand on it and getting burned: you fucking knew.
Royal Alexandre Hockey Invitational II Champions, NS Sports' Unofficial Champions of Life™
Pro: truth
Anti: Uptight short sided narrow minded hypocrites, neurotic psychotic pigheaded politicians, short-haired yellow-bellied sons of Tricky Dick who try to mother-hubbard soft soap me with pockets full of hopes, tight-lipped condescending mama's little chauvinists, Schizophrenic egocentric paranoiac primadonnas
"Put on the armor of God so that you may stand the evil that is to come."

User avatar
Ayanka
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 109
Founded: Apr 05, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayanka » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Harnandia wrote:Seeing all of this paranoia about climate change simply makes me chuckle

It seems to me you're trying way too hard to be edgy.
Народная.Республика Аянка
The People's Republic of Ayanka
A bright red star at the edge of the world
[National Factbook]|[Flag]|[Map]

User avatar
Harnandia
Secretary
 
Posts: 28
Founded: Mar 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Harnandia » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:24 pm

Ayanka wrote:
Harnandia wrote:Seeing all of this paranoia about climate change simply makes me chuckle

It seems to me you're trying way too hard to be edgy.

I knew someone would use the cliché and over utilized ''edgy'' argument, which, in this specific context not only is completely irrelevant, but also meaningless, as the word edgy has been used so many times to the point where it has lost its definition. if you find my statements to be 'edgy', then so be it. I personally don't think so nor am I trying to be 'alternative' or 'anti-mainstream' in any way, shape or form.
Last edited by Harnandia on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33400
Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:26 pm

Antityranicals wrote:I'd argue that using government tyranny to fight climate change will cause more suffering than it could ever alleviate, even if the global warming folks are right, a questionable thing in itself...

"tyranny"

ok boomer

User avatar
Harnandia
Secretary
 
Posts: 28
Founded: Mar 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Harnandia » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:26 pm

Les Etats Connuriste wrote:In summary I think overpopulation is one of the driving factors behind it and once the level of people is lowered to a certain value I think we can start moving forward again.

Without any shadow of a doubt, and overall I agree, if things do go horribly wrong at least the remaining life on earth will probably recover and keep on existing/evolving without our existence.

User avatar
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33400
Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:31 pm

Harnandia wrote:
Les Etats Connuriste wrote:In summary I think overpopulation is one of the driving factors behind it and once the level of people is lowered to a certain value I think we can start moving forward again.

Without any shadow of a doubt, and overall I agree, if things do go horribly wrong at least the remaining life on earth will probably recover and keep on existing/evolving without our existence.


"Millions will die but that is a sacrifice i'm willing to make."

User avatar
Czechostan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1028
Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Sure, the universe has no objective meaning, but as a personal preference, I prefer surviving over not surviving, and I (generally) don't like to see people suffer. Moreover, I want to have children one day, and I would hate for them to live in a world with widespread crop failure, increased risk of natural disaster, ecosystem collapse, and all those bad things caused by climate change.

User avatar
Antityranicals
Minister
 
Posts: 2471
Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:36 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:I'd argue that using government tyranny to fight climate change will cause more suffering than it could ever alleviate, even if the global warming folks are right, a questionable thing in itself...

"tyranny"

ok boomer

Leftist types say that the rich are evil for their control of the economy, but when government takes control of half the economy, it's perfectly fine? Newsflash: rich people can't take your money against your will, governments can.
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: -5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

User avatar
Czechostan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1028
Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Harnandia wrote:
Les Etats Connuriste wrote:In summary I think overpopulation is one of the driving factors behind it and once the level of people is lowered to a certain value I think we can start moving forward again.

Without any shadow of a doubt, and overall I agree, if things do go horribly wrong at least the remaining life on earth will probably recover and keep on existing/evolving without our existence.

A community of poor villagers in Nigeria dependent on subsistence agriculture and imported food doesn't pollute that much. A middle-class American white family that eats meat and dairy every day, drives an automobile to and from work and stores, and lives in an economy of consumption does. Lifestyle and economics matter a lot more than quantity.

User avatar
Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator
 
Posts: 3514
Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:39 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:"tyranny"

ok boomer

Leftist types say that the rich are evil for their control of the economy, but when government takes control of half the economy, it's perfectly fine? Newsflash: rich people can't take your money against your will, governments can.

>rich people can't take your money against your will
The Mafia would like a word with you, and it'd be a real shame if you didn't listen...
Killer Queen has already touched this signature.

Telconi wrote:My point is that believing scientists is bad. And people ought not do this thing.

User avatar
Antityranicals
Minister
 
Posts: 2471
Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:40 pm

Czechostan wrote:
Harnandia wrote:Without any shadow of a doubt, and overall I agree, if things do go horribly wrong at least the remaining life on earth will probably recover and keep on existing/evolving without our existence.

A community of poor villagers in Nigeria dependent on subsistence agriculture and imported food doesn't pollute that much. A middle-class American white family that eats meat and dairy every day, drives an automobile to and from work and stores, and lives in an economy of consumption does. Lifestyle and economics matter a lot more than quantity.

So you'd have all of us be starving and impoverished to fight a fantasy? Wow, if you mean that, you're a pretty terrible person...
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: -5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

User avatar
Antityranicals
Minister
 
Posts: 2471
Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:41 pm

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:Leftist types say that the rich are evil for their control of the economy, but when government takes control of half the economy, it's perfectly fine? Newsflash: rich people can't take your money against your will, governments can.

>rich people can't take your money against your will
The Mafia would like a word with you, and it'd be a real shame if you didn't listen...

I'd actually define the Mafia as a government.
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: -5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

User avatar
Harnandia
Secretary
 
Posts: 28
Founded: Mar 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Harnandia » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:42 pm

Czechostan wrote:Sure, the universe has no objective meaning, but as a personal preference, I prefer surviving over not surviving, and I (generally) don't like to see people suffer. Moreover, I want to have children one day, and I would hate for them to live in a world with widespread crop failure, increased risk of natural disaster, ecosystem collapse, and all those bad things caused by climate change.

And that is fair, all of this is purely subjective anyhow.

User avatar
Ayanka
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 109
Founded: Apr 05, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayanka » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Harnandia wrote:
Ayanka wrote:It seems to me you're trying way too hard to be edgy.

I knew someone would use the cliché and over utilized ''edgy'' argument, which, in this specific context not only is completely irrelevant, but also meaningless, as the word edgy has been used so many times to the point where it has lost its definition. if you find my statements to be 'edgy', then so be it. I personally don't think so nor am I trying to be 'alternative' or 'anti-mainstream' in any way, shape or form.

Look, I know what you're trying to accomplish here because I tried to do this as well and act like shadow the hedgehog on the internet when I was 13. I'm telling you, it does not work.
Stop now that you can because this is going to be super painful to look back at in 10 years.
Народная.Республика Аянка
The People's Republic of Ayanka
A bright red star at the edge of the world
[National Factbook]|[Flag]|[Map]

User avatar
Antityranicals
Minister
 
Posts: 2471
Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:45 pm

Ayanka wrote:
Harnandia wrote:I knew someone would use the cliché and over utilized ''edgy'' argument, which, in this specific context not only is completely irrelevant, but also meaningless, as the word edgy has been used so many times to the point where it has lost its definition. if you find my statements to be 'edgy', then so be it. I personally don't think so nor am I trying to be 'alternative' or 'anti-mainstream' in any way, shape or form.

Look, I know what you're trying to accomplish here because I tried to do this as well and act like shadow the hedgehog on the internet when I was 13. I'm telling you, it does not work.
Stop now that you can because this is going to be super painful to look back at in 10 years.

I doubt he'll be looking back at this page in 10 years...
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: -5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

User avatar
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33400
Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:45 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:"tyranny"

ok boomer

Leftist types say that the rich are evil for their control of the economy, but when government takes control of half the economy, it's perfectly fine? Newsflash: rich people can't take your money against your will, governments can.

So just going to ignore the tilted system capitalism has where payday loan people make people take out loans to pay old loans.

Or the fact that collage is required to get almost any job but student debt is so painful.

Nike abuses athletics it sponsors and the people in it's workforce, EA, activtion, Bethesda all have crunch periods to abuse workers.

Activison Blizzard bends over for commie cock sucking so there precious Chinese market sugar daddy doesn't bitch slap them.

It being technically "OpTIoNaL" is just ignoring the fact that it is the only logical way to do things.
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
An Alan Smithee Nation
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5429
Founded: Apr 18, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:46 pm

Harnandia wrote:As a rather radical nihilist, who doesn't care for the longevity of our planet nor for its living organisms, I was wondering if anyone else had a similar sentiment in regards to climate change? I don't really care if the human race survives for the next 100 or 1000000 years, as I see no objective meaning in existence. The universe does not value our lives, only we do. Seeing all of this paranoia about climate change simply makes me chuckle, because nothing lasts forever, absolutely nothing. All things come to an end and whether the extinction of the entire human race (or the destruction of the planet) happens in a couple of decades or in a thousand years, is irrelevant to me.

(Also, purely for clarification: I am not in denial of climate change, I am fully aware that it is happening via a combination of human and natural activities.
Also, I do not support suffering, therefore yes, in a way I am hypocritical, because climate change will lead to the suffering of humans and animals and I do believe we should ATTEMPT to fight against it and eliminate it during our lifetimes and for the future generations. With that being said, I don't really 'care' for it, if we fail, my feelings would be indifferent)


Presumably you are also indifferent to the outcome of this debate
Everything is intertwinkled

User avatar
Necroghastia
Minister
 
Posts: 2845
Founded: May 11, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:46 pm

OP certainly has an odd interpretation of what nihilism means. That's just closer to misanthropy IMO.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

User avatar
Czechostan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1028
Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Czechostan wrote:A community of poor villagers in Nigeria dependent on subsistence agriculture and imported food doesn't pollute that much. A middle-class American white family that eats meat and dairy every day, drives an automobile to and from work and stores, and lives in an economy of consumption does. Lifestyle and economics matter a lot more than quantity.

So you'd have all of us be starving and impoverished to fight a fantasy? Wow, if you mean that, you're a pretty terrible person...

1. Climate change isn't a fantasy
2. I'm saying we need to re-evaluate our economic framework and consumer habits if we want to fight climate change
Last edited by Czechostan on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33400
Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Czechostan wrote:A community of poor villagers in Nigeria dependent on subsistence agriculture and imported food doesn't pollute that much. A middle-class American white family that eats meat and dairy every day, drives an automobile to and from work and stores, and lives in an economy of consumption does. Lifestyle and economics matter a lot more than quantity.

So you'd have all of us be starving and impoverished to fight a fantasy? Wow, if you mean that, you're a pretty terrible person...


"""Fantasy"""

User avatar
Ayanka
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 109
Founded: Apr 05, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayanka » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Ayanka wrote:Look, I know what you're trying to accomplish here because I tried to do this as well and act like shadow the hedgehog on the internet when I was 13. I'm telling you, it does not work.
Stop now that you can because this is going to be super painful to look back at in 10 years.

I doubt he'll be looking back at this page in 10 years...

Yeah, he wont. In fact I'm sure NS won't even exist anymore in 10 years.
But oh, the memories. Those stay with you for way longer than you would like to.
Народная.Республика Аянка
The People's Republic of Ayanka
A bright red star at the edge of the world
[National Factbook]|[Flag]|[Map]

User avatar
Harnandia
Secretary
 
Posts: 28
Founded: Mar 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Harnandia » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:53 pm

Czechostan wrote:
Harnandia wrote:Without any shadow of a doubt, and overall I agree, if things do go horribly wrong at least the remaining life on earth will probably recover and keep on existing/evolving without our existence.

A community of poor villagers in Nigeria dependent on subsistence agriculture and imported food doesn't pollute that much. A middle-class American white family that eats meat and dairy every day, drives an automobile to and from work and stores, and lives in an economy of consumption does. Lifestyle and economics matter a lot more than quantity.

That does not (in my eyes at east) really refute my statement, they are still, somehow, contributing. Whether in copious or small amounts, they still add collectively something into the overall causation. If all of us strive towards reducing our population (people from both developed and underdeveloped nations) it would have an overall positive impact.
This is possibly going too off-topic, but I find that all people, regardless of their economic status, should have less children.
The aforementioned example, about how lifestyle and economics matter more than the number of people, could be reduced if the amount of people with those said lifestyles would be minimized.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Abserdia, Aeritai, Anthatton, Austria-Bohemia-Hungary, B o r o v a n, Cannot think of a name, Cisairse, Cordel One, Des-Bal, Dresderstan, Elejamie, Hanafuridake, Heloin, Jerzylvania, Kargintina the Third, Neanderthaland, Shrillland, South Odreria 2, The Black Forrest, The Grand Duchy of Muscovy, The Greater Ohio Valley, The Holy Therns, The Rich Port, Uiiop

Advertisement

Remove ads