NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] International Development Organs and Goals

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:48 am

Araraukar wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:It mandates that any nation which takes funds from the Bank must meet the goals.

OOC: No, it mandates "nations who benefit from the Bank’s services". It doesn't say the nations get the funds. Or even take funds. Or apply for funds. Or anything. It more looks like the bank is the one doing things in member nations. Not the nations themselves.

About the "twenty percent increase" bit: There's also the question of whether that's 20% of the maximum possibility (as you were presuming) or just 20% of those nation's current rates.

If the latter, what's 20% out of zero, for the nations most in need for such help?

Good question... 20% of zero is zero, isn't it, meaning that they actually wouldn't need to improve at all.

Of course, the fact that the nations would have twenty years in which to meet those targets, and could simply drop out of the WA at (20 years - 1 day) if they weren't going to manage it, doesn't help either.
>:(
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:10 am

OOC: I've marked this illegal as a strength violation. We have modly precedent that vague is not significant. This proposal is too vague and woolly. It is not at all clear whether the committee automatically acts in all member nations or only by request.

I suggest to the author that it would not be advisable to merely resubmit under mild strength. Legal =/= good. To make this good, you need to sort out the rambling and vague "FURTHER REMINDS" and "CREATES" clauses, the vagueness of the MANDATES clause, just what sensitive populations are, why the MANDATES clause mentions "developmental and human rights goals" but the next clause refers to "Permanent Development Goals", and the percentages issue which Ara and BA have discussed at length. I also urge caution regarding how the whole straddles several categories. There's much about education in it, poverty and housing appear to be social justice, and there's also environmental issues.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Adriatican
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 09, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adriatican » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: I've marked this illegal as a strength violation. We have modly precedent that vague is not significant. This proposal is too vague and woolly. It is not at all clear whether the committee automatically acts in all member nations or only by request.

I suggest to the author that it would not be advisable to merely resubmit under mild strength. Legal =/= good. To make this good, you need to sort out the rambling and vague "FURTHER REMINDS" and "CREATES" clauses, the vagueness of the MANDATES clause, just what sensitive populations are, why the MANDATES clause mentions "developmental and human rights goals" but the next clause refers to "Permanent Development Goals", and the percentages issue which Ara and BA have discussed at length. I also urge caution regarding how the whole straddles several categories. There's much about education in it, poverty and housing appear to be social justice, and there's also environmental issues.

Though I’ve never heard the term “wooly”used to strike down a perfectly good bill, I must say I find the Secretariat as an overpowered organization, lacking direction, oversight, appeal, or any real basis on which they found their decisions, they are a negative mechanic of this experience.

I have resigned from the World Assembly, as it never served much purpose to begin with for my nation.
First and Third Prime Minister of the IFC
Fmr. Chair, and current Commissioner of ISEC (a W.A organization)
Member of the Board of Directors of the Bank of Yohannes
Lazarene Ambassador to the South Pacific and Europeia

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:34 pm

Adriatican wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:OOC: I've marked this illegal as a strength violation. We have modly precedent that vague is not significant. This proposal is too vague and woolly. It is not at all clear whether the committee automatically acts in all member nations or only by request.

Though I’ve never heard the term “wooly”used to strike down a perfectly good bill, I must say I find the Secretariat as an overpowered organization, lacking direction, oversight, appeal, or any real basis on which they found their decisions, they are a negative mechanic of this experience.

I have resigned from the World Assembly, as it never served much purpose to begin with for my nation.

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out!

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:39 pm

Adriatican wrote:

(OOC: Gensec are an established part of the GA, and are crucial to ensuring that the proposals reaching the voting floor are legal per the rules. Although some calls are subjectives, this was a fairly common issue about strength, which happens quite frequently. Some of the clauses in here are vague, which has precedent as meaning that this is not at ‘significant’ strength.

You drafted quite a good piece of legislation, so I hope that you might decide to come back to the forums at some point in the future. In the mean time, you should alter the tag of this proposal to [ABANDONED] in order to mark that this legislation is no longer being considered.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:41 pm

Adriatican wrote:an overpowered organization, lacking direction, oversight, appeal, or any real basis on which they found their decisions

OOC: It's ironic that this is a perfect description of the "bank" created by the proposal...
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Previous

Return to General Assembly