NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Who Wants to Know a Millionaire?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Asle Leopolka
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Who Wants to Know a Millionaire?

Postby Asle Leopolka » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:43 am

My first issue submission since I restarted this game! I'm not familiar with the formatting, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT 1
Reworded the description and Option 1 to make it a more obvious government matter and not a civil one.

EDIT 2
Reworded descriptions and formatting. Fixed grammatical errors

EDIT 3
Spiced up the description. Fixed some word flow and grammatical errors.

SUBMITTED DRAFT
TITLE: Who Wants to Know a Millionaire?

VALIDITY: Gambling is legal. National Lottery institutionalized.

DESCRIPTION: After weeks of media frenzy following a climbing jackpot, @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@ has finally won @@NAME@@'s national lottery valued at 100 years' worth of the average income. However, after reports of harassment, threats, and tenacious paparazzi swarms from previous winners, they and privacy advocates demand that future winners' identity remain anonymous.

Option 1: "This is purely a matter of privacy and safety" says @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME(1)@@ @@RANDOMMALELASTNAME(1)@@, a lawyer representing the winner on behalf of the privacy group Citizens Against Peeping. "Releasing the names of these winners puts them in considerable risk. Just look at what happened to @@RANDOMNAME(2)@@ after winning a few months ago - harassed, stalked, and robbed almost daily! My client is already starting to experience much of the same. Sure, these lotteries help fund state programs and identities are released to appear transparent, but people will be more likely to play if they know their identities will be protected. Just think of the revenues!"

Outcome: government families routinely "win" the lottery

Option 2: "I fail to see the problem here" interjects your head of gaming @@RANDOMNAME(3)@@ while slipping on a pair of black leather gloves. "As Mr. @@RANDOMMALELASTNAME(1)@@ indicated, these lotteries help fund @@DENONYM@@ programs like education, parks, and hacki- I mean technical literacy. The people need to know the winners' identities to ensure it's not just government insiders who win. Plus," @@HE(3)@@ continues while putting on a clown mask, "we're still a nation of laws. I'll concede that a few weirdos will stalk the winners, but the overwhelming majority of our citizens are courteous enough to leave them alone. Now where did I leave my lockpicking set?"

Outcome: lottery winners are forced to spend most of their money on security

Option 3: "I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!" puritan zealot @@RANDOMNAME(4)@@ yells while bursting into your office. "Gambling is the Devil's vice! Lotteries are a legal avenue for the state to rob the destitute and mathematically illiterate! I'VE SPENT THOUSANDS OF @@CURRENCIES@@ ON TICKETS AND HAVEN'T WON A FRACTION OF IT BACK! You need to not just protect the winner, but all of @@NAME@@ - outlaw all forms gambling immediately!"

Outcome: the smallest of wagers is met with harsh criminal punishment

DRAFT 3

DESCRIPTION: After weeks of media frenzy following a climbing jackpot, @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@ has finally won @@NAME@@'s national lottery worth over one billion @@CURRENCIES@@. However, privacy advocates demand that winners' identity remain anonymous.

Option 1: "This is purely a matter of privacy and safety" says @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME(1)@@ @@RANDOMMALELASTNAME(1)@@, a lawyer representing the winner on behalf of the privacy group Citizens Against Peeping. "Releasing the names of these winners puts them in considerable risk. Just look at what happened to @@RANDOMNAME(2)@@ after winning a few months ago - harassed, stalked, and robbed almost daily! My client is already starting to experience much of the same. Sure, these lotteries help fund state programs and identities are released to appear transparent, but people will be more likely to play if they know their identities will be protected. Just think of the revenues!"

Option 2: "I fail to see the problem here" interjects your head of gaming @@RANDOMNAME(3)@@ while putting on black leather gloves. "As Mr. @@RANDOMMALELASTNAME(1)@@ indicated, these lotteries help fund @@DENONYM@@ programs like education, parks, and hacki- I mean technical literacy. The people need to know the winners' identities to ensure it's not just government insiders who win. Plus," @@HE(3)@@ continues while putting on a clown mask, "we're still a nation of laws. I'll concede that a few weirdos will stalk the winners, but the overwhelming majority of our citizens are courteous enough to leave them alone. Now where did I leave my lockpicking set?"

Option 3: "I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!" puritan zealot @@RANDOMNAME(4)@@ yells while bursting into your office. "Gambling is the Devil's vice! Lotteries are a legal avenue for the state to rob the destitute and mathematically illiterate! I'VE SPENT THOUSANDS OF @@CURRENCIES@@ ON TICKETS AND HAVEN'T WON A FRACTION OF IT BACK! You need to not just protect the winner, but all of @@NAME@@ - outlaw all forms gambling immediately!"

DRAFT 2

DESCRIPTION: After weeks of media frenzy and the jackpot climbing, @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME(1)@@ @@RANDOMLASTNAME(1)@@ has finally won @@NAME@@'s lottery worth over one billion @@CURRENCIES@@. However, privacy advocates demand that winners' identity remain anonymous.

Option 1: "This is purely a matter of privacy and safety" says @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME(1)@@ @@RANDOMMALELASTNAME(1)@@, @@MR@@ @@RANDOMLASTNAME(1)@@'s lawyer who also represents the group Citizens Against Peeping. "Releasing the names of these winners puts them in considerable risk. Just look at what happened to @@RANDOMNAME@@ after @@HE@@ won a few months ago - harassed, stalked, and robbed almost daily! @@MR@@ @@RANDOMLASTNAME(1)@@ is already starting to experience the same. Sure, these lotteries help fund state programs and identities are released to appear transparent, but people will be more likely to play if they know their identities will be protected. Just think of the revenues!"

Option 2: "I fail to see the problem here" interjects your head of gaming @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME(2)@@ @@RANDOMLASTNAME(2)@@ while putting on black leather gloves. "As Mr. @@RANDOMMALELASTNAME(1)@@ indicated, these lotteries help fund @@DENONYM@@ programs like education, parks, and hacki- I mean technical literacy. The people need to know the winners identities to ensure it's not just government insiders who win. Plus," @@HE@@ continues as @@HE@@ puts on a clown mask, "we're still a nation of laws. I'll concede that a few weirdos will stalk the winners, but the overwhelming majority of our citizens are courteous enough to leave them alone. Now where did I leave my lockpicking set?"

Option 3: "I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!" yells puritan zealot @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME(3)@@ @@RANDOMLASTNAME(3)@@ as @@HE@@ bursts into your office. "Gambling is the Devil's vice! Lotteries are a legal avenue for the state to rob the destitute and mathematically illiterate! I'VE SPENT THOUSANDS OF @@CURRENCIES@@ ON TICKETS AND HAVEN'T WON A FRACTION OF IT BACK! You need to not just protect the winner, but all of @@NAME@@ - outlaw all forms gambling immediately!"

DRAFT 1

VALIDITY: Gambling is legal

DESCRIPTION: After weeks of media frenzy and the jackpot climbing, someone has finally won @@NAME@@'s lottery worth over one billion @@CURRENCIES@@. The winner has not come forward, as his or her name would be revealed to the public and they want to remain anonymous.

Option 1: "This is purely a matter of privacy and safety" says the winner's lawyer @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME(1)@@ @@RANDOMMALELASTNAME(1)@@, straightening his necktie while furtively flashing his Patek Philippe watch. "Releasing the names of these winners puts them in considerable risk. Just look at what happened to @@RANDOMNAME@@ after @@HE@@ won a few months ago - harassed, stalked, and robbed almost daily! My client is willing to pay me quite a hefty sum to make sure these names are no longer public. Sure, these lotteries help fund state programs and identities are released to appear transparent, but people will be more likely to play if they know their identities will be protected. Just think of the revenues!"

Option 2: "I fail to see the problem here" interjects your head of gaming @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME(2)@@ @@RANDOMLASTNAME(2)@@ while putting on black leather gloves. "As Mr. @@RANDOMMALELASTNAME(1)@@ indicated, these lotteries help fund @@DENONYM@@ programs like education, parks, and hacki- I mean technical literacy! The people need to know the winners identities to ensure it's not just government insiders who win. Plus," @@HE@@ continues as @@HE@@ puts on a clown mask, "we're still a nation of laws. I'll concede that a few weirdos will stalk the winners, but the overwhelming majority of our citizens are courteous enough to leave them alone. Now where did I leave my lockpicking set?"

Option 3: "I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!" yells puritan zealot @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME(3)@@ @@RANDOMLASTNAME(3)@@ as @@HE@@ bursts into your office. "Gambling is the Devil's vice! Lotteries are a legal avenue for the state to rob the destitute and mathematically illiterate! I'VE SPENT THOUSANDS OF @@CURRENCIES@@ ON TICKETS AND HAVEN'T WON A FRACTION OF IT BACK! You need to not just protect the winner, but all of @@NAME@@ - outlaw all forms gambling immediately!"

Last edited by Asle Leopolka on Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:42 am, edited 8 times in total.
W̵̲͔͇͒̌̉̆̇͛̋ͅa̸̢̼̺̅̉̊͝l̶̟͈̳̗͒͜l̷̫͝ ̶̱̱̘͖̙̬͖̈́̏̕͘ō̴̼̭̥͔̮̟͒̒͒ͅn̴̖̦͎̯͕̈́̿͘͠ ̸̞̼͉͙́͐̏͝ẗ̴̮͕̰̫̖͉̩̍͆̂͛͝h̵̖̋̉̾̎͆e̸̞̩̳̲͙͎͑ ̴̩̈̽̈́͑S̵̯̮̟͈͎̭͠t̸͍̗̹̬͉̙̓͆̔̿r̸̡̤̺̱̹͈̦͑̈́̅ẹ̶̮͔̳̆͆̄̏̔e̴̢̺͚̠̟͕̋̄̂̓̽͘t̴̢̡̩͙̫̼̚,̸̩̖͌̈́͐̇ ̷̨͐͆P̵̳̦͗r̶̹̪̯͕̬̰̍̓͆o̷̠̱͙̠͔̗̫̽f̶̱͙͇̼̬̮̻̊͌̋į̸̯̩̖͇̍͋̓̾́̏̽ͅt̴͇̬͍̗̺̀̈́̈́͗͊ ̴̧̯̼̩͑̓̒͗i̷̪̲̜̮̼̲̎͑͊̂̕n̶͍̂ ̴͓̻̤̬͎̫̹̎͌̈́́̕͝t̸̺͚͍̕h̷͖͎̙͍̬̫̰̍̀̃̿̓e̷̛̩̔̑̌̾͊ ̵̤̖͎͔͖̂͘͝S̴̳͖̩̪͕̒͒̌͌͝h̷̝͇̱̝̻̓̓͂͑̒ȅ̶̛̞̱̮̏͐͜ḕ̷͙͉̄͜ť̸̫̩̟s̴̲̲̏̑̏̇͆͂͘͜

ᛖᚷᛟ ᛋᚢᛗ ᛒᛖᛋᛏᛁᚨ ᛖᚷᛟ ᚲᚢᛚᛏᚢᛋ
Personality: Chaotic Good | ENTJ | Math dominant | Pro business
Politically: Classical liberal | Pro 2A | Pro Choice | Behavioral economist

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:20 am

What makes this a problem that the leader of the nation needs to address? It's not really a problem for anyone except the guy that can't claim his lotto money.

The writing's OK on a sentence-by-sentence level. It just needs to be more obvious why this is a national issue that landed on @@LEADER@@'s desk.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Asle Leopolka
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Asle Leopolka » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:36 am

<OOC: This was inspired by a recent legislation in my home state where the state government allowed for anonymous collection of winnings over $1 million USD>

Option 1:
If you allow for anonymous collection then it would lead to an increase in the number of players. This would increase state funds but widen the income gap, as lower income citizens would spend more on tickets. In addition, as lottery revenue is used to help fund state programs, you need transparency to ensure the money is being used properly. You lose transparency and increase corruption when you anonymize the winners, as the system could be exploited by insiders and those connected to government to rig their family or themselves to win.

The head of state needs to act because it pertains to ethics, state revenue, revenue allocation, and preventing corruption

Option 2:
If winners' names are made public it puts them at risk for theft, assault, stalking, and harassment. It also discourages people to participate in the lottery and feel the harassment is not worth the money. A decrease in lottery participation would also hurt state programs and initiatives that are partially funded by lottery/gaming revenue.

The head of state needs to act because it pertains to public safety and program funding.

Option 3:
Outlawing all forms of gambling is a decision that would need to be made by a head of state.
W̵̲͔͇͒̌̉̆̇͛̋ͅa̸̢̼̺̅̉̊͝l̶̟͈̳̗͒͜l̷̫͝ ̶̱̱̘͖̙̬͖̈́̏̕͘ō̴̼̭̥͔̮̟͒̒͒ͅn̴̖̦͎̯͕̈́̿͘͠ ̸̞̼͉͙́͐̏͝ẗ̴̮͕̰̫̖͉̩̍͆̂͛͝h̵̖̋̉̾̎͆e̸̞̩̳̲͙͎͑ ̴̩̈̽̈́͑S̵̯̮̟͈͎̭͠t̸͍̗̹̬͉̙̓͆̔̿r̸̡̤̺̱̹͈̦͑̈́̅ẹ̶̮͔̳̆͆̄̏̔e̴̢̺͚̠̟͕̋̄̂̓̽͘t̴̢̡̩͙̫̼̚,̸̩̖͌̈́͐̇ ̷̨͐͆P̵̳̦͗r̶̹̪̯͕̬̰̍̓͆o̷̠̱͙̠͔̗̫̽f̶̱͙͇̼̬̮̻̊͌̋į̸̯̩̖͇̍͋̓̾́̏̽ͅt̴͇̬͍̗̺̀̈́̈́͗͊ ̴̧̯̼̩͑̓̒͗i̷̪̲̜̮̼̲̎͑͊̂̕n̶͍̂ ̴͓̻̤̬͎̫̹̎͌̈́́̕͝t̸̺͚͍̕h̷͖͎̙͍̬̫̰̍̀̃̿̓e̷̛̩̔̑̌̾͊ ̵̤̖͎͔͖̂͘͝S̴̳͖̩̪͕̒͒̌͌͝h̷̝͇̱̝̻̓̓͂͑̒ȅ̶̛̞̱̮̏͐͜ḕ̷͙͉̄͜ť̸̫̩̟s̴̲̲̏̑̏̇͆͂͘͜

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:32 pm

Imagine if all the crazy shit that happens in other issues was actually happening to you on a day to day basis. Would you still take time out of your day to worry about someone not claiming his lotto winnings? The description just doesn't feel like it's demanding @@LEADER@@'s attention enough.

You might be able to use this topic if you introduced it in a different way to make it seem more urgent.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:20 am

Option 2- really? Is that why America has public lotto announcements? (i.e. so that you know it's not a government crony) Well that sucks, what if a government crony legitimately won it? And in either case, how does the average person know whether or not anyone is a government crony?

USS Monitor wrote:Imagine if all the crazy shit that happens in other issues was actually happening to you on a day to day basis. Would you still take time out of your day to worry about someone not claiming his lotto winnings? The description just doesn't feel like it's demanding @@LEADER@@'s attention enough.

You might be able to use this topic if you introduced it in a different way to make it seem more urgent.

This is something leader cares about. This involves the law of the land, which is leaders domain
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:19 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Well that sucks, what if a government crony legitimately won it?
That's fine so long as it happens only once. If government cronies win several lotteries in a row, then you know something is wrong.

Australian rePublic wrote:And in either case, how does the average person know whether or not anyone is a government crony?
Someone would figure it out and publicize the scandal.

Asle Leopolka
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Asle Leopolka » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:22 am

Draft 2 is up

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2- really? Is that why America has public lotto announcements? (i.e. so that you know it's not a government crony) Well that sucks, what if a government crony legitimately won it? And in either case, how does the average person know whether or not anyone is a government crony?

Kind of. Lotteries help fund state programs (specifically education) and you need to fill out documents to claim your winnings. Because lotteries help fund state programs and the form you fill out is a state document, the winner can be identified under Right-To-Know laws. These laws were originally intended to show who is pushing for policy X that seems to benefit entity Y so heavily to ensure entity Y isn't bribing whoever is pushing policy.
Last edited by Asle Leopolka on Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:40 am

It is my understanding, from reading the issue, that the lottery in question is a government lottery. Is that correct?

If that is the case, I think this issue should be a consequence issue from #371.1 as this option introduces a National Lottery. Otherwise it's a bit like, "whoa, since when did I have a national lottery? I didn't authorise this"

Asle Leopolka
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Asle Leopolka » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:33 am

Fontenais wrote:It is my understanding, from reading the issue, that the lottery in question is a government lottery. Is that correct?

If that is the case, I think this issue should be a consequence issue from #371.1 as this option introduces a National Lottery. Otherwise it's a bit like, "whoa, since when did I have a national lottery? I didn't authorise this"

Added that to the second draft.

Asle Leopolka
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Asle Leopolka » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:13 pm

Any other potential updates or changes that need to be made?

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:26 pm

You don't need to write @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@

@@RANDOMNAME@@ gives you a full name (first and last)

Asle Leopolka
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Asle Leopolka » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:32 pm

Thanks. I made formatting changes.

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:02 pm

Asle Leopolka wrote:DESCRIPTION: After weeks of media frenzy following a climbing jackpot, @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@ has finally won @@NAME@@'s national lottery worth over one billion @@CURRENCIES@@. However, privacy advocates demand that winners' identity remain anonymous.

I would recommend spicing up the description, it has the potential to be more interesting from the get-go.
As an example, the speaker in option 1 mentions that a previous lottery winner was "harassed, stalked, and robbed almost daily" which could make up the crux of the description, rather than "people want more privacy"

Asle Leopolka
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Asle Leopolka » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:06 am

Final edit before submitting!

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:14 pm

Seems pretty good, except for this:
Asle Leopolka wrote:@@RANDOMNAME(1)@@ has finally won @@NAME@@'s national lottery worth over one billion @@CURRENCIES@@.

Mentioning a specific number isn't really the "done thing", given that economy sizes can vary wildly from country to country. One billion for one person will always be a lot, but a lot by how much?

1 billion is a massive jackpot amount for a country like mine, where average income is 200,000. For a country like uniserve, where average income is 1,220,000, it's a slightly less massive but still huge jackpot. It would be a massive jackpot even if a rich person from the dark system won it, with an income over 10,000,000. And that's not to mention if a-failed-state got it, with an average income of just 5.

I would suggest some form of exaggerative speech with something like
@@RANDOMNAME(1)@@ has finally won @@NAME@@'s national lottery, worth more than 5 years average wage.

This still sounds like a lot of money, but without being specific about the amount. You can even adjust the number of years wage it is if 5 years worth doesn't seem like enough.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Asle Leopolka
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Asle Leopolka » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:45 am

Very good point. I changed the wording.

And with that it's submitted! Thank you for all the helpful feedback, everyone!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:11 am

Good luck
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?