NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Got Dictatorship?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] Got Dictatorship?

Postby Jutsa » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:08 pm

Forgot I made this one; found it while trying to figure out my drafts folder. >.>

Dunno if this is any good but here we go.

Draft 1.12
Title: Got Dictatorship?
The Issue: Recently, participants in pro-democratic revolutionary rallies have revealed through interrogation that they were influenced by propaganda and insurgents from the fiercely democratic United Federation.
Validity: Dictatorship, No Dissent

Option 1: "I knew that federation and its government were no good!" shouts your Minister of Propaganda, wearing a rather unappealing 'U.F.NO' shirt. "We can't trust anyone. We need to create an anti-Federation campaign and torture everyone we find working with them — or advocating against your glorious regime, for that matter."
[effect] comedians mocking democratic revolutionaries are beat with truncheons featuring @@LEADER@@'s head

Option 2: "The U.F. has the whole thing backwards!" suggests Vladimir Celli, your Minister of Espionage, currently put on hold trying to buy a new fridge. "We should be the ones tampering with their government! A little funding towards hacking voting booths here, a few insurgents of our own to create chaos and distrust there, and we'll have them begging for a revolution. Frankly we should have been doing this already, seeing as these pesky insurgents are simply part of the fundamental interconnectedness of all things belonging to us one day."
[effect] more life-threatening world leaders seem to endorse @@LEADER@@

Validity: Capitalist
Option 3a: "The United Federation may have a questionable reputation, but can we really be safe to assume that they are doing this?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, who you don't recall inviting and seems to have a suspiciously twangy accent. "I think it's far more likely that the communist East Lebatuck is doing this to help facilitate a rivalry between our two nations. And the best way to get even? Embrace the United Federation, of course! Open up trades with them, maybe begin supporting some of the public's opinions like advocating democracy... that'll teach those darned East Lebatuckese!"
[effect] enemies really are kept closer than allies

Validity: Communist
Option 3b: "The United Federation may have a questionable reputation, but can we really be safe to assume that they are doing this?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, who you don't recall inviting and seems to have a suspiciously twangy accent. "I think it's far more likely that those commies—I mean, our comrades, in East Lebatuck are doing this to help facilitate a rivalry between our two nations. And the best way to get even? Embrace the United Federation, of course! Open the economy up to public trading, maybe begin supporting some of the public's opinions like advocating democracy... that'll teach those darned East Lebatuckese!"
[effect] enemies really are kept closer than allies

Option 4: "I agree it's possible they may not have been working for the United Federation," suggests new age thinker and undercover reporter @@RANDOMNAME@@, showing you non-sanctioned pictures taken of interrogations. "My research suggests that brute-force interrogations just make people say what we want to hear, not the actual truth. We must stop this practice at once, and instead treat folks like these revolutionaries with kindness and respect, and show them how good a nation we really are. Then they'll tell the truth."
[effect] tea bags are given to secessionists

The Issue: Recently, participants in pro-democratic revolutionary rallies have revealed through interrogation that they were influenced by propaganda and insurgents from the fiercely democratic United Federation.

Option 1: "I knew that federation and its government were no good!" shouts your Minister of Propaganda, wearing a rather unappealing 'U.F.NO' shirt. "We can't trust anyone. We need to create an anti-Federation campaign and torture everyone we find working with them — or advocating against your glorious regime, for that matter."
[effect] comedians mocking democratic revolutionaries are beat with truncheons featuring @@LEADER@@'s head

Option 2: "The U.F. has the whole thing backwards!" suggests Vladimir Celli, your Minister of Espionage, currently put on hold trying to buy a new fridge. "We should be the ones tampering with their government! A little funding towards hacking voting booths here, a few insurgents of our own to create chaos and distrust there, and we'll have them begging for a revolution. Frankly we should have been doing this already, seeing as these pesky insurgents are simply part of the fundamental interconnectedness of all things belonging to us one day."

Option 3a: "The United Federation may have a questionable reputation, but can we really be safe to assume that they are doing this?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, who you don't recall inviting and seems to have a suspiciously twangy accent. "I think it's far more likely that the communist East Lebatuck is doing this to help facilitate a rivalry between our two nations. And the best way to get even? Embrace the United Federation, of course! Open up trades with them, maybe begin supporting some of the public's opinions like advocating democracy... that'll teach those darned East Lebatuckese!"
[effect]

Option 3b: "The United Federation may have a questionable reputation, but can we really be safe to assume that they are doing this?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, who you don't recall inviting and seems to have a suspiciously twangy accent. "I think it's far more likely that those commies—I mean, our comrades, in East Lebatuck are doing this to help facilitate a rivalry between our two nations. And the best way to get even? Embrace the United Federation, of course! Open the economy up to public trading, maybe begin supporting some of the public's opinions like advocating democracy... that'll teach those darned East Lebatuckese!"

Option 4: "I agree it's possible they may not have been working for the United Federation," suggests new age thinker and undercover reporter @@RANDOMNAME@@, showing you non-sanctioned pictures taken of interrogations. "My research suggests that brute-force interrogations just make people say what we want to hear, not the actual truth. We must stop this practice at once, and instead treat folks like these revolutionaries with kindness and respect, and show them how good a nation we really are. Then they'll tell the truth."

Option 1: "I knew that Federal government was no good!" shouts your Minister of Propaganda, wearing a rather unappealing 'U.F.NO' shirt. "We can't trust anyone. We need to create an anti-Federation campaign and torture everyone we find working with them — or advocating against your glorious regime, for that matter."

Option 2: "We need to hit them where it hurts," suggests Vladimir Celli, your Minister of Espionage, currently put on hold trying to buy a new fridge. "By rigging their elections. A little funding towards hacking voting booths here, a few insurgents of our own to create chaos and distrust there, and we'll have them begging for a revolution. Frankly we should have been doing this already, seeing as these pesky insurgents are simply part of the fundamental interconnectedness of all things belonging to us one day."

[effect]

The Issue: Recently, participants in pro-democratic revolutionary rallies have revealed through interrogation that they were insurgents from the fiercely democratic United Federation.

Option 1: "I knew that Federal government was no good!" shouts your Minister of Propaganda, wearing a rather unappealing 'U.F.NO' shirt. "We can't trust anyone. We need to create an anti-Federation campaign and torture everyone we find working with them — or advocating against your regime, for that matter."

Option 2: "We need to hit them where it hurts," suggests Vladimir Celli, your Minister of Espionage, currently put on hold trying to buy a new fridge. "By rigging their elections. A little funding towards hacking ballots here, a few revolutionaries to create chaos and distrust there, and we'll have them begging for a revolution. Frankly we should have been doing this already, seeing as these pesky insurgents are simply part of the fundamental interconnectedness of all things belonging to us one day."

Option 3: "The United Federation may have a questionable reputation, but can we really be safe to assume that they are doing this?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, who you don't recall inviting and seems to have a suspiciously twangy accent. "I think it's far more likely that the communist East Lebatuck is doing this to help facilitate a rivalry between our two nations. And the best way to get even? Embrace the United Federation, of course! Open up trades with them, maybe begin supporting some of the public's opinions like advocating democracy... that'll teach those darned East Lebatuckese!"
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 9 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:38 pm

Jutsa wrote:The Issue: Recently, participants in pro-democratic revolutionary rallies have revealed through interrogation that they were insurgents from the fiercely democratic United Federation.

I'm surprised that people from United Federation would (a) go on a holiday to Nation to join in protests, or (b) migrate from a highly democratic country to Nation, and then join in protests. They might be concerned, but I doubt they would want to stick their necks out that far.

I think it would make more sense if the protests were orchestrated or somehow supported by people from within United Federation

Or, even better, as I expect a lot of dictatorships would have the 'no dissent' policy, then perhaps people from United Federation could be responsible for spreading seditious material, etc, that isn't a direct protest?

Sensorland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sensorland » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:46 am

Option 3 won't work for communist dictatorships.
Sensorland of the West Pacific
I mostly use NS stats
Just here to have a good time
Author of issue #1325
Social liberal, Georgist, atheist, vegan

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:30 am

A 4th option that says that confessions gained through torture are inherently unreliable and that these people may just be saying what they think we want them to hear seems necessary.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:09 pm

I'm surprised that people from United Federation would (a) go on a holiday to Nation to join in protests, or (b) migrate from a highly democratic country to Nation, and then join in protests. They might be concerned, but I doubt they would want to stick their necks out that far.

I think it would make more sense if the protests were orchestrated or somehow supported by people from within United Federation

Or, even better, as I expect a lot of dictatorships would have the 'no dissent' policy, then perhaps people from United Federation could be responsible for spreading seditious material, etc, that isn't a direct protest?

Much approved! Certainly, I'll consider changing "were UF insurgents" to "were influenced by propaganda and UF insurgents".
Still think having insurgents would give more weight to the issue at hand though. :P

Option 3 won't work for communist dictatorships.
Hmm. Good point.

Ah, who knows, maybe I can make a variant that converts you to capitalism. :P

A 4th option that says that confessions gained through torture are inherently unreliable and that these people may just be saying what they think we want them to hear seems necessary.
Yes.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:46 am

If this based on Hong Kong, then specify that area protesting is autonomous
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Raiding Dead
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Raiding Dead » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:47 am

"Propoganda"? Lolno.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:54 am

Actually, it's not based on Hong Kong, funnily enough — and ideally this'd be for nations with no dissent. Actually, come to think of it, that'd be a good criteria to add. :P

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:58 am

Hoo my this became a much larger draft...

So, a quick changelog:
1) Changed the opening a little to imply that the revolutionaries were heavily influenced by the UF, not from the UF themselves.
2) Added some effect lines. Not 100% sure what to do with option 3 yet, though.
3) Added a communist version of option 3. Might be a bit too extraordinary an option, but... :P
4) Added option 4. Gotta have some kind-hearted options for brutal dictatorships, right? :)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:45 am

Juuust quick bumping this, lest someone say otherwise I believe I'll submit this within a week. :)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:50 am

Please call it the "United Federal Government". Having "federation" as a nation type is very confusing
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:59 am

yeah, for sure, "that Federal government" is a little confusing, though I kinda like it. I could always say "UF" government, maybe...

but "that United Federal government" sounds wrong. "that United Federation's government" could also work, though.

"That Yoo Eff Government"...

Oh god I just realized something really funny that I should use:

"That U. F. Government's got the whole thing backwards!"

See if you can spot the joke. :)
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Use the words "United Federation" once, then you can use "UF" unlimited times after that
Jutsa wrote:

:rofl: :clap: :lol2:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:01 pm

Made a minor update. Put that in option 2 (legit perfect for that option), and changed option 1 slightly to hopefully be a bit less confusing.

Strahcoin
Envoy

Founded: Jun 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Strahcoin » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:22 pm

That seems like an interesting issue.

For option 3, I suggest the following effects:
[effect]nations that oppose @@NAME@@ are frequently their greatest allies
[effect]@@NAME@@ trusts its enemies more than its allies (communist variant only)
Not all NS stats/policies may be used. NOTICE: Factbooks and Dispatches are mostly outdated. See here for more info.
Accidental policies: Marriage Equality. I blame nsindex.net for not mentioning that part in no. 438 even though common sense dictates that I should have figured it out myself
A 15.428571428571... civilization, according to this index.
On this index, my army is a 6-6-8.
OOC: I am a conservative and a free-market capitalist. Trump is great, even though he is a moderate. There are only two genders. I like natural rights, but strong authority and cultural moralism are needed to protect them. Nation mostly represents my views.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:33 am

I think "enemies really are kept closer than allies" is a nice idea. :P

Final bump, lest something else go awry. :)

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:40 am

Jutsa wrote:yeah, for sure, "that Federal government" is a little confusing, though I kinda like it. I could always say "UF" government, maybe...

but "that United Federal government" sounds wrong. "that United Federation's government" could also work, though.

"That Yoo Eff Government"...

Oh god I just realized something really funny that I should use:

See if you can spot the joke. :)

The joke that only works right if the initials are GFY instead of GFU? ;)

Or is there something else in there that I'm missing entirely?
Last edited by Victorious Decepticons on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA
Newaswa wrote:What is the greatest threat to your nation?
Vallermoore wrote:The Victorious Decepticons.

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us
rather than meet up to have a talk. :(

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.

The Huskar Social Union wrote: ... massive empires of genocidal machines.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:57 am

Forgot to lowercase the g. Oops, thank you.

Oh wait nvm that was in the post not in the draft. :blush:
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?