NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] The Reconstruction Trust Fund Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The Greater Soviet North America
Attaché

Founded: Oct 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

[Draft] The Reconstruction Trust Fund Act

Postby The Greater Soviet North America » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:06 pm

The Reconstruction Trust Fund Act

Category: International Security
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: The Greater Soviet North America

The General Assembly,

Affirming its unequivocal condemnation of all acts, methods, and practices of terrorism as criminal and unjustifiable, regardless of their motivation, in all their forms and manifestations, wherever and by whoever committed,

Bearing in mind that acts of international terrorism seriously impair the enjoyment of human rights and threaten the social and economic development of all states and undermine global stability and prosperity,

Convinced that a sustained comprehensive approach involving the active participation and collaboration of all member states of the General Assembly, and in accordance with international law, is essential in order to aid nations in the reconstruction process of their economies affected by terrorist insurgencies,

Fully aware that economies are in serious danger of imploding due to terrorist insurgencies,

Having examined the serious effects that these terrorist insurgencies have had towards the average life of people,

1) Authorizes the creation of the International Reconstruction Trust Fund, which will be held by the General Assembly and to be audited by independent public accountants approved by the International Advisory and Monitoring Board of the International Reconstruction Trust Fund, whose members shall include qualified representatives of the General Assembly;

2) Notes that the International Reconstruction Trust Fund shall endorse trade and economic cooperation throughout the application of an inclusive reconstruction program in order to rebuild the economy:

2.a) Institutes adjustment assistance programs to workers who lost their jobs as a consequence of terrorist attacks,

2.b) Increases effective rate of protection (ERP) for industries within a country’s agricultural and manufacturing sector,

2.c) Encourages support from multilateral institutions in the form of technical assistance or through the provision of funds,

3) Notes further that the funds of the International Reconstruction Trust Fund shall be used in a transparent manner to meet the humanitarian needs of the people of these countries, for the economic reconstruction and repair of their infrastructure, and for other purposes benefiting the people of these countries;

4) Requests that the funds in the the International Reconstruction Trust Fund be disbursed at the direction of the International Advisory and Monitoring Board of the International Reconstruction Trust Fund, in consultation with the government of the country it is aiding and the General Assembly.
Last edited by The Greater Soviet North America on Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:10 pm

OOC: There is no Protective Tariff area of effect. If there was, I'm not sure it would be under Advancement of Industry.

Also, if you create a trust fund, who do you authorize to act as trustee? To what degree do they have the authority to dispense funds? How on earth does a trust have the power to regulate taxation?
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Soviet North America » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:12 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: There is no Protective Tariff area of effect. If there was, I'm not sure it would be under Advancement of Industry.

So which one should I place it under instead?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:13 pm

The Greater Soviet North America wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: There is no Protective Tariff area of effect. If there was, I'm not sure it would be under Advancement of Industry.

So which one should I place it under instead?

Take a look through the rules and work it out. Teach a man to fish, and all.

Also, see my edits.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Soviet North America » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:13 pm

Excellent question! The draft is a draft, so of course, those details will be included.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:14 pm

The Greater Soviet North America wrote:1.b) Provides tax exemptions to sectors affected by terrorist attacks,

OOC: This still meddles with internal taxation and as such is illegal for contradiction.

Also, you talk of war-torn nations but then switch over to addressing terrorist attacks. Which are you trying to legislate on?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:15 pm

The Greater Soviet North America wrote:Excellent question! The draft is a draft, so of course, those details will be included.

OOC: Ok. So...what are those details? How do you plan to deal with those issues?

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Soviet North America » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:17 pm

Separatist Peoples I believe that it would go under free trade, but whether or not mild, significant or strong is just unknown. I dont know what kind of classification would be better for my proposal.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Soviet North America » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:18 pm

Araraukar In my proposal, I address the serious effect terrorist attacks have on the population and its economy. By war-torn nations, i also include nations ravaged by terrorist attacks.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:25 pm

The Greater Soviet North America wrote:I dont know what kind of classification would be better for my proposal.

OOC: Choose a category. If the category has strengths, write the text first and then start figuring out the strength. If the category has areas of effect, write the text with the category and area of effect in mind, because together they dictate what the majority of your clauses must address.

Also, make the member nations do more things than what the committee does. Committees should be garnishing, not the meat of the proposal.

The Greater Soviet North America wrote:In my proposal, I address the serious effect terrorist attacks have on the population and its economy. By war-torn nations, i also include nations ravaged by terrorist attacks.

Okay, I get it that in the modern era of "war on terrorism" and such it can't be difficult to understand the distinctions, but acts of war does not equal acts of terrorism, and while for instance a civil war can include some of both, they still do not add up to equal. You should choose one or the other to focus on.

Additionally, there are multiple resolutions that have something to do with war, multiple resolutions that have something to do with helping nations recover when they're down, and more than one resolution that has something to do with terrorism. You can find them in the passed resolutions thread on this forum. It can be searched with keywords easily. I suggest doing your homework with that thread first. You can't contradict any of the non-repealed resolutions with your proposal, nor can you majorly duplicate what they already do, either.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:27 pm

The Greater Soviet North America wrote:Separatist Peoples I believe that it would go under free trade, but whether or not mild, significant or strong is just unknown. I dont know what kind of classification would be better for my proposal.

OOC: I was referring to this:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Also, if you create a trust fund, who do you authorize to act as trustee? To what degree do they have the authority to dispense funds? How on earth does a trust have the power to regulate taxation?

Here is the thing. A trust is a very specific legal arrangement. You've created a res, or the actual fund, without specifying any of the other essential parts of how it operates. You're missing essential trustee terms, powers, and duties as well as beneficiary rights.

Worse, you've created this in a realm where there is no international common law for interpreting incomplete trusts, so without an enforcement mechanism specified by the WA, the trustees can turn their legal title without equitable title into a possessory interest without having actually violated any laws. Perhaps a bit more corruption than anybody actually wanted.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Soviet North America » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Araraukar and Separatist Peoples I inserted new clauses and also edited some of the stuff

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:52 pm

The Greater Soviet North America wrote:Araraukar and Separatist Peoples I inserted new clauses and also edited some of the stuff

OOC: You addressed none of my technical issues. Also, everything regarding taxation and tariffs contradicts existing legislation, which bars basically all tariffs and leaves taxation firmly in the hands of individual nations.

I think you need to reconsider the exact parameters of what you want done and then consider the most effective way of funding it rather than putting together a legal apparatus you don't entirely understand. You'll likely have a much more successful draft if you do.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Soviet North America » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:58 pm

Of course. Thank you very much for your suggestion. Any other things I should focus on Separatist Peoples?
Last edited by The Greater Soviet North America on Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:02 pm

The Greater Soviet North America wrote:Of course. Thank you very much for your suggestion. Any other things I should focus on Separatist Peoples?

OOC: you should consider writing this as a Social Justice or International Security proposal. Free Trade breaks down trade barriers, and throwing barriers up to fund something is, by definition, not free trade.

Look at those categories, and then try to solve your problem backwards. Think of the result you want to achieve, articulate it, and only then worry about the procedural way of getting that result. Otherwise you'll tie yourself in knots.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:52 pm

The Greater Soviet North America wrote:2.b) Increases effective rate of protection (ERP) for industries within a country’s agricultural and manufacturing sector,

Is your advocacy when it comes to economic development seriously the protection of inefficient and low-productivity sectors? What would you have to say to the creative destruction hypothesis vis-à-vis natural disasters and recent literature vis-à-vis weather and natural experiment?

The Greater Soviet North America wrote:2.c) Encourages support from multilateral institutions in the form of technical assistance or through the provision of funds,

What would you say to the people who argue that aid in most developing countries acts as a mechanism which lowers the accountability of entrenched elites to their taxed populations, distorting economic incentives to actually productive enterprises?

The Greater Soviet North America wrote:3) Notes further that the funds of the International Reconstruction Trust Fund shall be used in a transparent manner to meet the humanitarian needs of the people of these countries, for the economic reconstruction and repair of their infrastructure, and for other purposes benefiting the people of these countries;

4) Requests that the funds in the the International Reconstruction Trust Fund be disbursed at the direction of the International Advisory and Monitoring Board of the International Reconstruction Trust Fund, in consultation with the government of the country it is aiding and the General Assembly.

I wonder why others seem to have so little objection to an open-ended and almost entirely unconstrained authorisation for money disbursement... They had such a fit when it came to clarifying resolutions, but nothing of the same sort to this as of yet. My own opinion in the matter is that there can be drawbacks to full transparency: politicisation of aid funds and the general internal budgeting process for international organisations leans heavily against actual enforcement of aid conditionality at a bilateral level. Keeping them secret could lower political pressure to disburse aid monies even when they do not meet the conditions attached to the aid.

Format: I'd use statute style for this. Also would highly recommend use of the list formatting bbCode rather than the strange style of an unclosed bracket all over the place. If you persist with the UN style and the long list, be mindful that lists have the word "and" attached to the penult and in most cases use semicolons as dividers rather than full stops.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:06 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:Perhaps a bit more corruption than anybody actually wanted.

OOC: Especially a nation trying to rebuild after a war...

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I wonder why others seem to have so little objection to an open-ended and almost entirely unconstrained authorisation for money disbursement... They had such a fit when it came to clarifying resolutions, but nothing of the same sort to this as of yet.

OOC: Because this is a newbie person and their first proposal and there are many more obvious plotholes in the proposal's story. If they manage to get over those, then the stompage can commence. :P
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly