NATION

PASSWORD

The Lies Within (IC|Open)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
The United States of Ibica
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 02, 2018
New York Times Democracy

The Lies Within (IC|Open)

Postby The United States of Ibica » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:33 am

OOC Thread: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=473659

Home of Ibican Vice President, Rodney Parsons
Near Harlem, East Monroe
2:15 am

It was late in the night, and many of the most influential people in Ibica has all found their way into the foothills of the Georgia Range in eastern East Monroe. Had this gathering taken place a few hours earlier, it wouldn't seem strange at all. But, so many corporate executives, bureaucrats, and elected officials here, in the middle of the night, should certainly raise eyebrows. They call themselves the Fathers of the Republic, and believe that they are about to change the country better. In attendance is:
  • Rodney Parsons, Vice President and leader of the group
  • Steven Colberry, Secretary of the Interior
  • George Townsend, Attorney-General
  • Forest Emmett, Governor of Romane
  • Duncan Waterman, Lt. Governor of Hamilton
  • Gen. Kenyon Patterson, Army
  • Vice Admiral Zachery Everill, Navy
  • Director Wesley Cowden, Homeland Security Investigations
  • and many others
Some of these officials have recently sat on opposite sides of issues, such as the Romane Statehood question which saw Secretary Colberry demanding Governor Emmett be impeached for not blocking the statehood vote. But they now find themselves unlikely allies.

All of these men, and they are all men, believe that Ibica is taking a dangerous path into liberalism, that women have gotten too involved in politics, and that the states have lost too much authority compared to the federal government. A few of them also wish to see Ibica having an official Christian religion, and that secularism is destroying Ibica's culture. Fringe elements like this have always existed within the Conservative Party, but they've always been just that, a fringe. But they've gotten smarter and learned to hide their fringe views. With the Romane Crisis having almost certainly ensured Progressives will win the Presidency in 2020, the group feels they must act now, and drastic measures are necessary.

They have determined that a false flag terrorist attack on the capitol building during a presidential speech coming up is the only way forward. The speech will likely be attended by most of congress, most of the Supreme Court Justices, and the department heads that don't know to avoid it. If they're successful in this attack, Parsons would become the President, having a convenient excuse not to attend the speech. Parsons then intends to declare marshal law while most of the nation would feel that additional security measures are necessary, and would "temporarily" postpone upcoming elections. Homeland Security Investigations would then drum up some false intelligence blaming a foreign group or nation for the attacks, justifying a war and even more internal security measures; all the while ensuring other intelligence agencies in the nation remain blind to what is really happening. Parsons encourages the other members to continue cautiously finding new allies, sympathetic to the cause as he bids them farewell. This will be their last meeting before the plan is put into motion. If this information gets out before the attacks, the will all receive the death penalty.

Parsons goes to sit in his office as he watches the officials' vehicles dispersing into the night, and pours himself a glass of Brandy. "You want some Jones?" he calls out to the head of his Secret Service detail in the room.

Jones lets out a soft chuckle, "Not on the clock sir..." his voice trails off. "Are you sure about this?"

Parsons takes a sip, then gazes out the window for a moment before answering, "I need to be, its too late to stop it now..." He finishes his glass, then stands "Well, I need to sleep at some point I guess, goodnight Jones."

"Goodnight, sir," Jones returns to the rest of the Secret Service detail securing the residence. None of his team knows why some of the nation's most powerful men were just here, they have no idea that most of them are protecting the biggest threat to Ibican ideals in its history. The most well known duty of the Secret Service is to protect the President, but his team just provided security to a meeting that just planned her death. He shudders at the thought, and blames it on the cold when one of his agents asks if he's okay. He's not. Nothing is anymore.
Last edited by The United States of Ibica on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The United States of Ibica » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:04 am

11:00pm
Thursday, December 18th
National Defense Intelligence Service, St. Clarke Office
St. Clarke, Albion

Analyst Samuel Roscoe, or just Sam as his friends knew him, was working late when he stumbled across a flagged text message conversation:

-Is it ready to go?
-Not like we can really do a test run now can we? It's set to blow halfway through her speech, lets just hope it works
-Good, and you're in Haviland right? Seems tracks are well covered.
-Except for Cowden, someone has to take the fall. No one will believe it's not an inside job
-I still hate we have to hang him out, but if you think it's necessary, Parsons. And Colberry?
-He knows when to step out for a "bathroom break" He'll be fine.
-I just hope this is all worth it, just to bring her down.

Sam couldn't believe what he was reading. If he assumed correctly, and this couldn't quite be proven as the numbers belong to prepaid burner cell phones, this was a conversation between the Vice President of Ibica, and some unknown co-conspirator. He grabbed the only other analyst working in his office at the time, his closest work friend, Hillary Weaver. She read over the conversation quickly and and then pulled up the designated survivor protocol for tomorrow's State of the Union address. Due to the sheer number of top executive officials present for this annual speech, at least one person in the presidential line of succession would be sequestered away from the capital to ensure continuity of government. Surely enough, this years designated Survivor was Vice President Rodney Parsons, and he was being sequestered in a federal office building in Charlotte, Haviland. Surely enough, the cell tower pings for one of the burner phone was traced to Charlotte.

"This can't be correct, the VP plotting the assassination of the President? We have to report this!" Hillary exclaimed as she reached for the encrypted line on Sam's desk. He quickly took the phone from her and slammed it back on the receiver.

"Are you mad? The freaking VP is involved in whatever is going on. Who knows who else is involved"

"You're right, you're right. So who do we talk to?" she stared at the conversation on the computer screen, her expression slowly changing from confusion to absolute horror as she realized just how deep something like this had to run.

He had an idea "Chief Johnson! He's working tonight I think. I'm going to go show him what I found, and I need you to go home, take a copy of this with you, but pretend you don't know anything. If you don't here anything from me in the next 2 hours, email this someone in both the FIS and the IIA. If we're compromised, hopefully there's someone there that can help. If I am able to put a stop to this, this conversation never happened. I'm about to make some very powerful enemies, I don't want that for you if we can avoid it." He quickly made two copies of the data and gave one to her. He hoped that if Johnson was corrupt as well, that the FIS (Federal Intelligence Service, the NDIS' civilian counterpart) or the IIA (Ibican Investigative Agency, General federal law enforcement) would be a little cleaner. One of these three agencies had to be able to do something. With that, he sent Hillary on her way, and then walked upstairs to CounterIntelligence Chief Henry Johnson.

Johnson was Sam's direct superior, or even his first choice here, but he was known for his squeaky clean record, and was the only senior officer working this late. He walked down the corridor to Johnson's office, and found the door cracked open, and saw him working at his desk. He knocked on the door and waiting for Johnson to look up. Sam was nervous, he new this conversation would either make him a national hero, or it would get him killed. "Uh... Chief, I have something you're gonna want to see"

Sam sat across from Johnson as he read through the texts, becoming obviously more and more distressed as he read. "Have you shown this to anyone else son?" Johnson asked with an almost paternal concern in his voice.

"N... No sir. I brought this straight to you," it was a lie, but Sam believed it to be necessary. He had no idea he'd already signed Hillary's death warrant.

"You did good bringing this to me, with how far this must be connected, you have no idea who to trust." His expression became more and more concerned now. "I'm going to need to make some calls. But I need something else first. You drink scotch son?" Johnson asked grabbing the bottle on his desk and two glasses from a drawer." Sam started to decline but Johnson wouldn't have it. "After news like this, I think you could use a drink." He poured them both glasses and then grabbed his as he paced around his office behind Sam. "You've done your country proud Roscoe. You did good bringing this to me." He picked up his "Distinguished Service" Plaque he had been awarded by President Buckley herself just two years ago. "You did real good," he then slammed the plaque down on Sam's head from behind him, knocking him unconscious. He never knew what hit him.

Johnson pulled out a burner phone of his own and dialed a number, taking another sip of his scotch, "You made a mess Patterson! A damn mess! One of my analysts sniffed out what you and Parsons were texting about. Are you stupid?! Whatever, I'm cleaning this up, but if we found it, you bet any other intelligence agency can find it. You better hope FIS doesn't catch wind of this, I can't save you from them!" He angrily hung up and then dialed another number. "Young? It's Johnson. I need you to move someone to a black site. It's an analyst. He's unconscious in my office. Look, it's not my mess, but I need your help to clean it up. I cant have my finger prints on this." He hangs up then walks over to the windows of his office, looking over the empty parking lot to the St. Clarke skyline in the distance. He finishes the rest of his scotch in one gulp, he knows this whole mess might just be unraveling in front of him. He looks at the clock, 21 hours left.
Last edited by The United States of Ibica on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The United States of Ibica » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:40 am

2:00am
December 19th
20 miles south of Bay City, Petra

Sam awakened with a jolt, with a splitting headache in a dark room. He reached up to rub his throbbing head. Or, at least he tried. His hands were behind his back, tied together. He tried to scream, finally piecing together what happened, but he was gagged as well. He was in the trunk of a car being taken god knows where. He needed help, but how? in the little light he had, he was able to figure out he was facing towards the front of the car, with his back to the trunk door. Maybe he could get a hold of a wire and turn off one of the taillights. Hopefully they'd pass a cop who would care they had a tail light out. Hopefully they weren't in an official car, he knew no cop would pull over a car with federal government plates.

Sam was in luck, sitting in a parking lot just up ahead, was Trooper Conor Ward, with the Petra Highway Patrol. With not much else to do in rural Petra at 2 in the morning, he pulled out after the black sedan with a dysfunctional right taillight. The trooper lit up his light bar, indicating for the car to stop, and informed his dispatch. "Charlie-5, control. Making a stop on a vehicle for faulty taillights. Can I get a plate check. Albion plates, FHR-2039. Black Royal Alhambra."

"Plate is registered to a Samuel Roscoe, out of Tyler, Albion. Check comes back clean, no flags or warrants."

Trooper Ward stepped out of his car and walked up to the driver side window. He quickly explained to the drive that he stopped him for the taillight being out. The driver, Travis Long, explained that it wasn't his, but a friends car, so he had no idea if the owner planned to have that fixed or was even aware of the issue yet. Ward's suspicion was slightly peaked seeing as the driver wasn't the owner. But could be entirely legitimate. He began to walk back towards his cruiser.

Sam heard the footsteps approaching the rear of the car. It was now or never. He began tapping, lightly as it may be with his limited range of motion, "S-O-S" and the hatch of the trunk and prayed the officer would hear it. Ward did hear something, and stopped dead in his tracks, the driver started to sweat watching him in the mirror. Ward turned to look at the trunk, straining to hear what sounded like rhythmic tapping. Long couldn't let the officer figure out what was happening. He quickly glanced up and down the state highway they were on, and saw no cars for miles. He grabbed the pistol from out of the glove box, and took a deep breath. Being focused on the noises, Ward didn't notice long step out of the car. He just realized that the tapping was an SOS, and turned to go back and order the driver out of the car, but he found himself staring down the barrel of a gun instead.

"I'm sorry to do this trooper, I really am," Long said, followed by a bang. The trooper fell to the ground, barely breathing. Long stood over him, and realizing he was still alive, fired two more times. He then opened the trunk and turned Sam to face him. "Are you happy! This man is now dead because of you! It's your fault this officer doesn't get to go home to his family tonight." Long grabbed the baton from the troopers belt, and beat Sam over the head with it, sending back into unconsciousness. He then took the belt off the trooper, and threw his body in the back with Sam. Long walked back to the patrol car, a Royal Police Package Alhambra, and turned off the light bar, then put a few rounds threw the video recorder for the dash cam. That should cover up what really happened here well enough.

Back in St. Clarke, Analyst Hillary Weaver sat in her apartment, with the USB drive that Sam gave her in one hand, and a glass of wine in the other. He hadn't called. It had been three hours. She needed to send the info, and she knew he was probably dead now. She plugged the USB drive into her computer and put the info into an email. She heard screeching tires down in the parking lot, did they know? No. No it couldn't be, it was probably just some kids showboating. She addressed the email to the Duty Desk at the IIA's Willmington Office, and the to an analyst friend of hers at the FIS. She could hear heavy footsteps coming up the stairs now. They were coming for her. But who are they? She marked the subject line as "URGENT!!! Terrorism! State of the Union" and hit send. The footsteps outside continued past her door, and breathed a sigh of relief. Then she heard footsteps coming back down, and stopped at her door. After a pause, she heard a thud up against the door, and reached for a pistol she'd put on the table, but it was too late. While she had her back turned, and second thud landed, and the door flew open. Two suppressed gunshots sounded, and her world went black.
Last edited by The United States of Ibica on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to NationStates