NATION

PASSWORD

[submitted]Opposites Attract?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[submitted]Opposites Attract?

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:13 pm

I wrote most of this months ago, but it didn't have effect lines until tonight. I abandoned it because I was concerned it might be too niche or it could get confusing for nations with different laws on homosexuality. I originally wrote it for nations with no divorce, but it might be feasible to expand the validity.

Opposites Attract?

[desc]Socially conservative magazine editor @@RANDOMNAME@@ was accidentally married to fabulously popular drag queen Dee Licious after the editor's cat walked across @@HIS(1)@@ keyboard and Dee pushed the wrong button while attempting to send an email from a hectic dressing room.

validity: follow up to Marriage By Proxy Server for nations that don't allow divorce

[option]"I told you people would try to marry cats if we tolerated the gay agenda!" @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@ blubbers as @@HE(1)@@ storms into your office red-faced and scowling. "We need to stamp out this degeneracy! Ban cross-dressing, outlaw LGBT pride groups, and let me have this marriage annulled."
[effect]dancing around in sequins and make-up is the best way to end a bad marriage

[option]"I wasn't trying to marry a cat," retorts Dee Licious, who has just sashayed into your office in a brightly colored kimono. "The marriage registry needs to redesign their website so it's harder to get married by accident, and while you're at it, you should tell this bigot to stop publishing homophobic conspiracy theories. Homophobia is, like, sooooo last century."
[effect]online marriage forms are so complicated it's faster to have a traditional wedding

[option]"If you're married, then that means you are meant to be together," says a priest that has come to bless your office . "Destiny works in mysterious ways and it is not our place to question it. @@LEADER@@, when you outlawed divorce, you did not go far enough. You must also see to it that every marriage in @@NAME@@ is consummated!"
[effect]the government is keeping people busy
Last edited by USS Monitor on Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:59 pm

USS Monitor wrote:"I told you people would try to marry cats if we tolerated the gay agenda!"
Technically, this scenario sounds more like cats marrying people...

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:"I told you people would try to marry cats if we tolerated the gay agenda!"
Technically, this scenario sounds more like cats marrying people...

Well, he has alternative facts. :p
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:58 am

Wait, he was married online, right?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:14 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Wait, he was married online, right?

Yes. It's a follow up to "Marriage By Proxy Server," which is about online marriages.

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:08 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Technically, this scenario sounds more like cats marrying people...

I'm confused - why would he have alternative facts if he knew it was his cat who married him in the first place?

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:22 pm

Fontenais wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

I'm confused - why would he have alternative facts if he knew it was his cat who married him in the first place?

The "alternative fact" is he thinks Dee married the cat on purpose.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:06 am

I'm thinking that the crux of this issue is asking what happens if you marry someone unsuited in a nation that doesn't allow divorce. The online marriage thing seems unneeded, to be honest, as the premise could easily be a "no divorce" reversal in a much broader situation -- for example, if the conservative married a woman who later transitioned into becoming a man.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:09 am

I think the stupidity of how they got married is funny, though.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:20 pm

Good point!

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:31 pm

Do you think there'd be room to have both this issue and an another one where a married person is trying to transition in a nation that does not allow divorce or same sex marriage?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:23 am

Probably, but there's overlap in both with the existing issues on marriage, like 236, so it'd bean increasingly crowded concept space.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:40 am

OK, I'll just stick to this one for now, then.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:02 am

Last call bump. Anybody see anything that still needs fixing on this one?

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:34 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Fontenais wrote:I'm confused - why would he have alternative facts if he knew it was his cat who married him in the first place?

The "alternative fact" is he thinks Dee married the cat on purpose.

But Dee didn't marry the cat, Dee married the magazine editor. The magazine editor even states this.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:32 am

Good Luck!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?