NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Convention on Animal Testing

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

McMasterdonia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 19, 2012
Mother Knows Best State

Postby McMasterdonia » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:28 am

The North Pacific's Ministry of World Assembly Affairs has issued a recommendation of AGAINST for this proposal.

If I could sum up the debate amongst our World Assembly nations it would be with this quote from PotatoFarmers. "The idea behind the proposal is what we want, but this is not the proposal we need".

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:11 am

(OOC:
Outboundstagnate wrote:
1b. A "test animal" as a sentient but not sapient animal in the custody of any research facility for scientific purposes

Assumes citizens are sapiens and excludes sapient animals such as orangutans that have legitimate testing purposes.

Orangutans are not sapient, and citizens have to be in order to form a society of any nature.

1c. "Ethical testing", and all derived terms, as testing carried out on an animal in a way that is not maliciously intended to cause severe distress or harm to the animal;

Does not define severe.

Proposals do not need to define common words or phrases. Member nations should be perfectly aware of what ‘severe’ means.

2. Establishes the World Assembly Board of Bioethics (WABB), which will be tasked with the following:

2a. Overseeing scientific experimentation in member states to ensure animal testing is being carried out ethically and in accordance with all relevant WA law;

Adds bureaucracy.

This is a valid point of feedback, dependant on how ‘overseeing’ is interpreted.

3. Dictates that member states must reasonably and proportionally penalise research labs upon receiving a report about unethical testing from the WABB;

Does not define reasonable.

‘Reasonable’ is a common word, so the proposal doesn’t have a need to do so.

4a. Report all procedures carried out on animals, and euthanisations in their custody to the WABB;

More bureaucracy.

This is valid, and one of the largest flaws in the current proposal, as has been highlighted by the TNP’s vote recommendation.

5a. The animal is returned to the wild if it was captured from the wild, has a good chance of being returned to its natural habitat successfully, and if it poses no risk to the environment it is being released into, such as carrying diseases; or;

Re-introducing experimented animals into the wild could have consequences.

The clause states ‘if it poses no risks to the environment is is being released into’, so this shouldn’t be a cause for concern.

7. Prohibits the intentional killing of a test animal in a cruel manner, in addition to forbidding the killing of a former test animal before the viability of its adoption or release into the wild has been examined, and it has been found unsuitable for both.

Forbids intentionally killing animals which severely limits research into the toxicology of substances.

It says ‘in a cruel manner’, which to me implies not causing unnecessary suffering. If killing is the only way to accomplish the goal, then doing so as painlessly as possible is not cruel.

This is fatally flawed. It does too much in one are and too little in another area.

I disagree.)
Last edited by Kenmoria on Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:23 am

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: Orangutans are not sapient, and citizens have to be in order to form a society of any nature.)

OOC: By every measure possible to invent in RL so far, great apes, dolphins, elephants and corvids are sapient. Other bits you said, agreed with. :)

EDIT: You might think "wait, even tool use? by dolphins?" - look it up, it's actually damn genius.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Outboundstagnate
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Reply to "Kenmoria"

Postby Outboundstagnate » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:58 am

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC:
Outboundstagnate wrote:Assumes citizens are sapiens and excludes sapient animals such as orangutans that have legitimate testing purposes.

Orangutans are not sapient, and citizens have to be in order to form a society of any nature.

"having or showing great wisdom or sound judgment." [https://www.dictionary.com/browse/sapient]
I retract my point on the assumption of citizens as sapient.

Kenmoria wrote:
Outboundstagnate wrote:Does not define severe.

Proposals do not need to define common words or phrases. Member nations should be perfectly aware of what ‘severe’ means.

Severe varies based upon a nations view on how bad animal "cruelty" is. My nation does not care for animals and consequently, any punishment at all might be seen as severe.

Kenmoria wrote:
Outboundstagnate wrote:Does not define reasonable.

Reasonable, once again, varies from nation to nation making it such a broad term.

Kenmoria wrote:
Outboundstagnate wrote:Re-introducing experimented animals into the wild could have consequences.

The clause states ‘if it poses no risks to the environment is is being released into’, so this shouldn’t be a cause for concern.

I should have clarified. I meant unintended consequences, from genetic modification and other testing, that will only manifest in the long term.

Kenmoria wrote:
Outboundstagnate wrote:Forbids intentionally killing animals which severely limits research into the toxicology of substances.

It says ‘in a cruel manner’, which to me implies not causing unnecessary suffering. If killing is the only way to accomplish the goal, then doing so as painlessly as possible is not cruel.

It has to be disqualified from both the possibility of adoption and re-introduction into the wild. Toxicology testing has always been cruel but it is a necessary evil. This clause breaks it.

Kenmoria wrote:
Outboundstagnate wrote:This is fatally flawed. It does too much in one are and too little in another area.

I disagree.)

I hope to change your opinion.
Last edited by Outboundstagnate on Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:38 am

OOC: Been really busy irl, will respond soon
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:34 am

(OOC:
Outboundstagnate wrote:

"having or showing great wisdom or sound judgment." [https://www.dictionary.com/browse/sapient]

I acknowledge that orangutans are sapient, but that should surely be an argument as to why it is necessary to protect them.

Kenmoria wrote:

Severe varies based upon a nations view on how bad animal "cruelty" is. My nation does not care for animals and consequently, any punishment at all might be seen as severe.

Without setting minimum and maximum punishments, it is almost impossible to come up with a good definition of ‘severe’ as, ultimately, it is subjective. Restricted ranges of punishments wouldn’t work due to the same punishment being of a different harshness in different nations. A fine of 1000 local currency would be nothing in an inflated currency and too much in a deflated one.

Kenmoria wrote:

Reasonable, once again, varies from nation to nation making it such a broad term.

You are correct that it is a broad term, but there is no better way. Since reasonability is subjective there isn’t a way to define it such that nations don’t have room to misinterpret the phrasing. Attempting to do so inevitably ends with either a definition full of loopholes or an inflexible one.

Kenmoria wrote:

I should have clarified. I meant unintended consequences, from genetic modification and other testing, that will only manifest in the long term.

Presumably, long-term risks are still risks, so would be caught under the clause. Besides, prohibiting unintended consequences would be of little use, since they are unintended. I suppose it might be considered better for nations not to release animals into the wild for fear of inadvertent effects, but there are still other options for nations to pursue.

Kenmoria wrote:

It has to be disqualified from both the possibility of adoption and re-introduction into the wild. Toxicology testing has always been cruel but it is a necessary evil. This clause breaks it.

In my opinion, if an evil is necessary then it is not cruel. The evil has to be wilfully so, not due to a lack of other options. Although a nation could interpret it as you have done so, that would be self-defeating for the nation in question.

Kenmoria wrote:
I disagree.)

I hope to change your opinion.

You’ve certainly given me some food for thought.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Neo Vedan
Civilian

Founded: Oct 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Vedan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:01 pm

Dang, I've never seen a proposal this close in the vote before. Its 50/50 right now

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:28 pm

Neo Vedan wrote:Dang, I've never seen a proposal this close in the vote before. Its 50/50 right now

OOC: There have been other similarly close ones, but you're right that this one's really close right now:
For 6,867 ---- 6,861 Against
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:13 pm

Outboundstagnate wrote:

OOC: Sapient is as close as we can get to "human" whilst accommodating alternative rps.
Kenmoria wrote:

Kenmoria wrote:

And what exactly do you otherwise suggest using?
Kenmoria wrote:

These are still risks
Kenmoria wrote:
Outboundstagnate wrote:Forbids intentionally killing animals which severely limits research into the toxicology of substances.

It has to be disqualified from both the possibility of adoption and re-introduction into the wild. Toxicology testing has always been cruel but it is a necessary evil. This clause breaks it.[/quote]
What kenmoria said is true.
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Outboundstagnate
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Reply to Marxist Germany and Kenmoria

Postby Outboundstagnate » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:09 am

Outboundstagnate wrote:"having or showing great wisdom or sound judgment." [https://www.dictionary.com/browse/sapient]

I acknowledge that orangutans are sapient, but that should surely be an argument as to why it is necessary to protect them.

My point exactly, it does not cover them.

Kenmoria wrote:
Outboundstagnate wrote:Severe varies based upon a nations view on how bad animal "cruelty" is. My nation does not care for animals and consequently, any punishment at all might be seen as severe.

Without setting minimum and maximum punishments, it is almost impossible to come up with a good definition of ‘severe’ as, ultimately, it is subjective. Restricted ranges of punishments wouldn’t work due to the same punishment being of a different harshness in different nations. A fine of 1000 local currency would be nothing in an inflated currency and too much in a deflated one.

Percentages are universal and are a solid means of defining punishments. They could be fined 10% of their annual funding and so on.

Kenmoria wrote:
Outboundstagnate wrote:Reasonable, once again, varies from nation to nation making it such a broad term.

You are correct that it is a broad term, but there is no better way. Since reasonability is subjective there isn’t a way to define it such that nations don’t have room to misinterpret the phrasing. Attempting to do so inevitably ends with either a definition full of loopholes or an inflexible one.

Percentages are good and will work everywhere. The example above works here as well.

Kenmoria wrote:
Outboundstagnate wrote:I should have clarified. I meant unintended consequences, from genetic modification and other testing, that will only manifest in the long term.

Presumably, long-term risks are still risks, so would be caught under the clause. Besides, prohibiting unintended consequences would be of little use, since they are unintended. I suppose it might be considered better for nations not to release animals into the wild for fear of inadvertent effects, but there are still other options for nations to pursue.

The risk is that it will be released by not being able to definitively determine if it will pose a risk. Tested animals, in my opinion, must always be put down for the safety of the environment. Adoption would be impossible in most cases and most will resort to the euthanisation clause.

Kenmoria wrote:
Outboundstagnate wrote:It has to be disqualified from both the possibility of adoption and re-introduction into the wild. Toxicology testing has always been cruel but it is a necessary evil. This clause breaks it.

In my opinion, if an evil is necessary then it is not cruel. The evil has to be wilfully so, not due to a lack of other options. Although a nation could interpret it as you have done so, that would be self-defeating for the nation in question.

The testing for toxicology will always cause severe distress in animals. This will be visibly cruel and will not be excluded from the clause. Video testing of nicotine on rabbits and rats are available on the internet for you to watch if you disagree that it is cruel. These are the videos, please watch only if you can stomach it. [https://www.youtube.com/embed/xZ8_Ad-M-q8][https://www.youtube.com/embed/dfmgpA3x0e4]

Marxist Germany wrote:
Outboundstagnate wrote:Severe varies based upon a nations view on how bad animal "cruelty" is. My nation does not care for animals and consequently, any punishment at all might be seen as severe.

Outboundstagnate wrote:Reasonable, once again, varies from nation to nation making it such a broad term.

And what exactly do you otherwise suggest using?

A percentage of annual funding instead of broad terms.

Marxist Germany wrote:
Outboundstagnate wrote:I should have clarified. I meant unintended consequences, from genetic modification and other testing, that will only manifest in the long term.

These are still risks

These risks will not be seen and will have dire consequences.

Marxist Germany wrote:
Outboundstagnate wrote:It has to be disqualified from both the possibility of adoption and re-introduction into the wild. Toxicology testing has always been cruel but it is a necessary evil. This clause breaks it.

What kenmoria said is true.

See for yourself if testing toxicology of nicotine is cruel or not. [https://www.youtube.com/embed/xZ8_Ad-M-q8][https://www.youtube.com/embed/dfmgpA3x0e4]
Last edited by Outboundstagnate on Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:34 am

Outboundstagnate wrote:

My point exactly, it does not cover them.

Because they are covered by other resolutions, not least of them GAR 355, Rights of Sapient Species.
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Refuge Isle
Technical Moderator

Founded: Dec 14, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Refuge Isle » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:50 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: There have been other similarly close ones, but you're right that this one's really close right now:

Perhaps it will be the second resolution from Marxist Germany to be repealed within a week.

Greater Galactic Protectorate
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Galactic Protectorate » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:13 am

By the order of our Chosen Divine, He Who Save Us From Darkness of Void, The Great Protector Yugalia Xi Azlibin, the Greater Galactic Protectorate hereby condemn such blatantly outrageous act attempted by World Assembly to weaken sovereignty, freedom and integrity of their own fellow member nations by encroaching deeper into their autonomy via such ridiculous "resolution".

The Star Palace of Light, in representing the Will and Divine Grace of Our Great Protector, hereby show condolences and sympathy towards the member nations of WA, for it is regrettable to see their struggle against the corrupted coalitions of core nations, whose exercise power beyond what's actually reasonable, sensible, and redeemable, to be left in vain.

However, despite witnessing such a treacherous act, it is regrettable for us to state explicitly that the Greater Galactic Protectorate will maintain neutral stance, and respect the legitimacy and established system of WA. We strongly encourage WA to cease such self-demoralizing practices that fractured and weaken the assembly, and realize again why such a governing body exist in the first place.

The Future of The World and All Lies in the Hand of Our Great Protector, His Grace Yugalia Xi Azlibin and The Holy Mandate, the only truth of what once was, is and will be.
The Grand Shield of The Protector and The Star Palace of Light

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:16 am

The country of Satuga agrees with the ethical treatment, and release of test animals.
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:43 am

Araraukar wrote:
Neo Vedan wrote:Dang, I've never seen a proposal this close in the vote before. Its 50/50 right now

OOC: There have been other similarly close ones, but you're right that this one's really close right now:

It appears the decisive vote has been cast by Delegate Kethania from The Communist Bloc, which has swung the margin to 51.0% in favour after an short lead of the "Against" camp. Barring a significant turnabout of opinion, this resolution's passage is all but certain.
Last edited by Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia on Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:25 am

Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: There have been other similarly close ones, but you're right that this one's really close right now:

It appears the decisive vote has been cast by Delegate Kethania from The Communist Bloc, which has swung the margin to 51.0% in favour after an short lead of the "Against" camp. Barring a significant turnabout of opinion, this resolution's passage is all but certain.

OOC: And Ransium
Refuge Isle wrote:

Perhaps it will be the second resolution from Marxist Germany to be repealed within a week.

Let's hope not.

Concrete Slab
Envoy

Founded: Jan 25, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Concrete Slab » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:05 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia wrote:It appears the decisive vote has been cast by Delegate Kethania from The Communist Bloc, which has swung the margin to 51.0% in favour after an short lead of the "Against" camp. Barring a significant turnabout of opinion, this resolution's passage is all but certain.

OOC: And Ransium
Refuge Isle wrote:Perhaps it will be the second resolution from Marxist Germany to be repealed within a week.

Let's hope not.

*cackles*
Concrete Slab
Author of GAR#471, GAR#479, SCR#271, SCR#370, SCR#426, and SCR#428
Co-author of SCR#300, SCR#422, SCR#432, SCR#486, and SCR#487
2023 Defender Newcomer, Mentor, and Quote of the Year
RMB Moderator of The South Pacific
Lieutenant of the South Pacific Special Forces
Join The South Pacific Special Forces Today!
CS isn't inherently doing anything wrong, Hulldom just has a deep preference for boring, which CS does not always find himself within the lines of

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:28 pm

Convention on Animal Testing was passed 7,621 votes to 7,310.

(OOC: Congratulations.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Mbaracaya
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Animal Testing

Postby Mbaracaya » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:09 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:I have received permission from United Americanas to reproduce some of the clause in his previous draft for use here.

Convention on Animal Testing
Category: Health | Area of Effect: Bioethics

The World Assembly,

Concerned by the lack of legislation regarding the treatment of testing animals,

Recognising that animals deserve to be properly treated during and after testing,

Noting that mistreatment of animal test subjects may lead to severe distress for the animal and inaccurate research results, and

Seeking to establish regulations on the treatment of animal test subjects,

Hereby,

1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution:
    1. A "research facility" as any facility, private or public, which engages in animal testing for any scientific purpose, including consumer safety and weapons testing;
    2. A "test animal" as a sentient but not sapient animal in the custody of any research facility for scientific purposes;
    3. "Ethical testing", and all derived terms, as testing carried out on an animal in a way that is not maliciously intended to cause severe distress or harm to the animal;
  2. Establishes the World Assembly Board of Bioethics (WABB), which will be tasked with the following:
    1. Overseeing scientific experimentation in member states to ensure animal testing is being carried out ethically and in accordance with all relevant WA law;
    2. Reporting instances of noncompliance with the ethical requirements mandated in this resolution to the local authorities for penalisation;
  3. Dictates that member states must reasonably and proportionally penalise research labs upon receiving a report about unethical testing from the WABB;

4. Mandates that all research facilities in member states that carry out testing on animals:
    1. Report all procedures carried out on animals, and euthanisations in their custody to the WABB;
    2. Carry out solely ethical testing, as defined in section 1c;
  5. Requires that when a research facility is finished using an animal in its experiments:
    1. The animal is returned to the wild if it was captured from the wild, has a good chance of being returned to its natural habitat successfully, and if it poses no risk to the environment it is being released into, such as carrying diseases; or;
    2. The animal is given to a legal entity capable of taking care of it for the rest of its lifespan; if:
      1. it is expected to live for over a year after its adoption,
      2. it is healthy, not sick, and of good disposition, and,
      3. it is unable to survive without help, or is of a species commonly kept as pet or livestock;
    3. If the animal is unable to be adopted or released into the wild then it may be humanely euthanised;
  6. Clarifies that an animal can still be adopted even if it is unable to live for over a year, and;

7. Prohibits the intentional killing of a test animal in a cruel manner, in addition to forbidding the killing of a former test animal before the viability of its adoption or release into the wild has been examined, and it has been found unsuitable for both.

Co-authored by United States of Americanas

Animal Research had benefits both humans and animals. However, animals used in experiments are commonly subjected to many deprivation and forces. Institutions must be required – by law – to establish an Institutional Animal Care and use the fewest number of animals or NONE AT ALL.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives