NATION

PASSWORD

Unusual Events in the Fringe (FT, OPEN)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
United Systems of Vitoze
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Unusual Events in the Fringe (FT, OPEN)

Postby United Systems of Vitoze » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:51 pm

Marshal William Johnson
New Austin Colony, The Fringe

William Johnson yawned as he pulled on his tough leather boots. It was still dark out and would be for at least another hour, but he had always been an early riser, and drank copious amounts of coffee to make up for that particular foible. As was his norm he was wearing a heavy waistcoat over a shirt and tie and tough trousers to match his boots, it was more practical than truly smart but it fit his particular role sufficiently. Taking another big drink of coffee he pulled on his gun belt and secured it around his middle, checking that all of his cartridges were still secured in place and that the two holsters were on his hips. Unlocking his gun cabinet he pulled out his two Hermes Corp Gunslinger Specials, powerful plasma revolvers that were incredibly popular out here in the fringe due to their stopping power and deadly potential. Slipping them into the holsters and securing the latch he was satisfied. Walking through his home he headed for the kitchen and poured himself some cereal and quickly consumed it with yet another helping of coffee before he picked up a golden badge, in the shape of a star surrounded by a circle.

For Johnson was a U.S. Marshal, appointed by the Congress to enforce law and order across the United Systems. They were usually found dealing with crimes that took place across numerous counties, in which case local sheriff’s were at a disadvantage, but out on the very edge of the fringe the Marshal took up that role and was often the primary source of authority on a fringe colony, acting as a de facto mayor on the very edge of the fringe. New Austin was nearly five years old at this point, but it was still a small fringe colony that was in no real rush to grow up, maybe because although the planet itself was habitable enough it didn’t have anything that made it especially valuable like rare resources or the like, Not that it bothered any of the inhabitants, they had enough to eat and a comfortable, if hardworking life, and produced just enough of various things to trade with other colonies.

Attaching the distinctive badge to his waistcoat he grabbed his Stetson and headed out into the pre-dawn gloom. New Austin was a small town, maybe only a thousand souls called it (and the surrounding countryside) home, most of whom had put their fortunes on the line. The handful who hadn’t were transients, visiting the colony primarily to invest in the newest colony of the United Systems, this wasn’t unusual, that was how the colonies in the fringe grew as despite their ‘untamed’ nature there was a lot of profit to be had in the fringe, on both the right and the wrong side of the law. Crime in New Austin was comparatively light, and almost completely perpetrated by off-worlders. Johnston, and his Deputies, therefore kept a special eye on the small spaceport on the southern side of the settlement and the colony’s main Saloon on main street, which was frequented by off-worlders regularly. But by and large New Austin was a peaceful place, Johnson only had a handful of deputies because that was all he needed and, and the people were hard working and law-abiding, which was how Johnson liked it.

Given the size of the colony there weren’t a lot of vehicles, or rather there were but they were locked up in garages for when their owners had to drive out of town for whatever reason, most people in New Austin walked, and the colony’s atmosphere, but literal and figurative, benefited from it. As he walked through the quiet colony he saw a truck pulled up outside the general store and a young lady carrying bags from inside and piling them up in the back.

“Morning Tess,” Johnson smiled as he approached. “Need a hand?”

“Good Morning Marshal,” Tess McFarlane replied with a smile as she dumped a bag in the back. “I wouldn’t say no.”

Johnson smiled and helped her carry her shopping from inside the store out to her truck. Tess was the daughter of John McFarlane who owned one of the ranches that raised cattle for the consumption of the colony, she was also the only daughter amongst three brothers, all of whom were younger than her, she had therefore learnt early to be independent, and had a Gunslinger Special of her own in a holster on her hip. Johnson himself had taught her to shoot when he had first come out here nearly five years ago, and Tess had just been a precocious teenager, and had brought her the Gunslinger as a reward for her hard work. Although he would never admit it he had a soft spot for Tess, as a teenager she had been the kind of girl who could work her way into the hearts of pretty much everyone, and she was a well-liked member of the New Austin community.

“What are you doing in town so early?” Johnson asked as he lifted the last bag into the truck.

“I was up early, couldn’t get much sleep last night, so I figured that whilst I was awake I might as well do something productive,” Tess replied with a shrug as she leant back against the truck. “You know as well as I do that the countryside is beautiful, and if I hurry I’ll get a beautiful sunrise as I drive up to the Ranch.”

“In that case I should probably let you get going,” Johnson smiled. “Have a good day, Tess.”

“You too Marshal,” Tess smiled in return. “Thanks for your help.”

Johnson watched as Tess climbed into her truck and began to drive out of town, heading northwards to where the land rose up out of the river valley, before continuing on his way. He didn’t get more than another hundred meters before he bumped into someone else.

“Morning Marshal!”

“Morning Mister O’Neill,” Johnson replied as he shook hands with the man. “I didn’t know you were back in town.”

“Only just got in overnight,” Thomas O’Neill replied gesturing in the general direction of the spaceport. “Brining in stock for the store.”

Johnson nodded. Thomas O’Neill was a Freelancer; that is he was an independent trader that operated a small ship and plied his trade between the colonies of the fringe. Freelancers could operate anything from fighters, in which case they took contracts to defend colonies or protect larger supply ships, to small tramp freighters that provided essential transportation services for small colonies, just like New Austin. Freelancers were a integral part of life in the fringe, and for the most part were well-received and respected in fringe colonies as, the majority of them, were law abiding citizens. The efforts of the various Core Corporations to put freelancers out of business was not well received in the fringe, as the Corporations tend to charge higher rates and generally try and cheat the colonists, whereas the Freelancers (for the most part) tended to be honest and fair. As a result, out of all the people who visited New Austin, Johnson generally had the least issues with them, especially when some of the pilots had helped keep pirates out of the system in the past. Of the various types of Freelancers, O’Neill was a trader, and he was a frequent sight in New Austin.

“That would explain it then,” Johnson grinned. “I’m sure Paddy is happy now you’ve restocked his supplies.”

“He was,” O’Neill nodded. “Gleeful in fact.”

“I can imagine,” Johnson replied. “How long are you in town for?”

“A couple of days, I’ve got a few things to give to various people, then I need to see if anyone needs anything taken anywhere,” O’Neill replied with a shrug. “Then I’ll be out of your hair again, Marshal.”

“Not at all, law-abiding citizens like yourself are always welcome in New Austin,” Johnson smiled. “Where are you staying?”

“Above the Saloon,” O’Neill replied, and then added with a grin. “Easy access to the whores.”

Johnson simply smiled. Like many spacers including Freelancers, especially Freelancers who worked alone, O’Neill wasn’t particularly picky about where he got his feminine companionship, just as long as he got some, and he generally had enough money to purchase that companionship if he had to, and given that prostitution was legal, Johnson had no real problem with it.

“Alright, well it’s good to see you again Mister O’Neill,” Johnson said, shaking his hand again. “Have a good stay.”

“Thanks Marshal, it’s good to see you again too,” O’Neill nodded and headed back into the Saloon.

Johnson watched him return inside before continuing his walk down Main Street. His offices and the town jail was at the far end of the street, pushing open the door he headed inside. The Marshal’s Office in New Austin wasn’t tremendously large; it was one large main room with Johnson’s office off of it, as well as a cellblock to hold prisoners. Johnson nodded to the Duty Officer, one of his Deputies, before heading into his office. Given that Mister O’Neill was in town it was likely that he had brought the latest news reports from other colonies, including ones that likely had a smaller communications cycle with the Core than New Austin ever would have. The majority of the ‘news’ he didn’t much care for, what he did care for was the various arrest warrants and criminal activity notices that the various Sheriffs, and the United Systems Marshal Service, posted and shared across the fringe. Sure enough, there was a new download on his system as he settled behind his desk, with another handily acquired mug of coffee, and began to read through them.

By the time he emerged again the sun was fully risen and looking out into the street he could see that it was bustling with activity as New Austin started a new week and its inhabitants got about their business. As Mister O’Neill had indicated, there was not only a lot of activity around the General Store, but also around the spaceport where he was no doubt making a tidy profit by offering his services to the inhabitants. It promised to be a busy day, especially when one considered that it was harvest season, meaning that a fair number of the farms out here would be bringing in their produce, or otherwise storing it either on their property or in the outskirts of New Austin. As the District U.S. Marshal of a Frontier Colony as small as this one, Johnson was technically responsible for all manner of governance, in the absence of an elected Mayor and no one in New Austin had got around to organising anything like that, he was supposed to concern himself with the food supply, fortunately for his sanity however he had hired a few people to handle that. There was talk of (finally) electing a Mayor, and Johnson welcomed it, he’d much rather just handle the law enforcement side of things.

Johnson grabbed his Stetson from the hat stand where he had placed it and headed on outside. Whilst most of his Deputies would be out walking a patrol, he liked to go out there himself, he was after all the primary symbol of the Law in New Austin, and he felt that it was important that people saw him, whether they were planning to commit a crime or not. It was an opinion held by the majority of his contemporaries and was undeniably effective in keeping the peace. He nodded his greetings to various townsfolk as he passed them, all the time his sharp eyes watching for any sign of trouble. When the first, usually, hardest year, went off without any problems he had worried that he might lose his edge whist serving as the Marshal for what was turning out to be a very law-abiding colony, but his eye for trouble had never failed him in the years that had followed. And ultimately, he was very happy here.

Sure, he wasn’t out there doing the ‘exciting’ stuff like hunting down fugitives across numerous worlds or breaking up smuggler rings or groups of bandits, but he was doing an important job out here and he was proud of the work he had done. They had never had any really big law breakers out here, but Johnson liked to think that he was doing his bit to keep New Austin safe, and for the most part he was, and the town folk loved him for it. Of course if he wanted his career to go anywhere he was going to have to take another assignment at some point in the not too distant future, but then even with New Austin’s sleepy progress rate it wouldn’t be too long before the USMS was replaced by local sheriff’s, at least for local law enforcement, and when that happened the part of the job that Johnson loved would be over with. Hell, maybe he should think about retiring from the Marshals Service and become New Austin’s Sheriff, that wouldn’t be unpleasant.

Johnson was making his way back towards the Marshal’s Offices when the Duty Officer, a different Deputy from the one he had greeted that morning, came running up to him, looking worried.

“Marshal, there’s something you’ll want to see,” The Deputy said, something in his town made Johnson increasingly concerned and he followed the Deputy back to the Offices as quickly as possible. “This popped up on the screens a few minutes ago.”

Johnson leant over the cluster of computer consoles in one corner of the main room. There was a contact on it but that by itself wasn’t unusual as the Marshals provided a Traffic Control service for small colonies like this one, the fact that it wasn’t flying under a U.S. Transponder however, was.

Although there was no standing Naval presence in the area they had left a substantial network of reconnaissance drones across the entire system to ensure that if any unknown ship appeared at least someone would know about it quickly. They had also installed a number of orbital weapons platforms to provide some defence for the colony against minor attacks, as well as a powerful defensive shield to protect the colony itself. It would not be enough to fend off a sustained attack indefinitely, but it was not supposed to. It was designed to defend the colony against raiders and pirates, more important it was to by the colony time.

The United Systems Navy had, long ago, come up with a simple doctrine; spreading the main strength of the Navy trying to cover every colony was a pointless endeavour; it was just asking to be defeated in detail. Therefore the Navy concentrated its strength at strategically placed outposts, which were handily placed in respect to the local slipstream currents. In the event of an attack the Navy could respond quickly and in overwhelming force against any invading force, and as such any world that might come under attack need only hold out long enough for the Navy to get the message and respond. Worlds in the core had their own defensive Guard to protect them, at least initially, and the colonies in the fringe had their own defences to allow them to hold out. The justification was simple, the colonies in the fringe were generally small enough to be ‘expendable’ in the big picture of a war situation, whereas the naval assets were not, besides the Navy had invested sufficiently in static defences to ensure (or at least give a good chance) that the colonies would survive long enough for the Navy to make an appearance; assuming that news of the impending attack reached them soon enough.

The nearest concentration of naval strength, not counting the independent frigates that patrolled the fringe and occasionally visited the colonies as they passed through, was likely the Enterprise Battle Group at Liberty Station, a full day’s transit away even at maximum military power. As the only real symbol of Federal authority on New Austin, it fell to Johnson to make a decision on how to handle this unknown interloper. The United Systems had had limited interactions with outside powers and species, certainly nothing substantial much less bi-lateral agreements in pretty much anything, and a fair portion of those had been through the U.S. Marshals hunting a fugitive, which was probably why all Marshals received some training for this kind of thing. Never the less the first thing on Johnson’s mind was the safety of his people. He could feel the tension in the air and a glance over his shoulder at the Deputy confirmed the young man’s apprehension.

“Deputy, I need you to find Mister O’Neill,” Johnson told him, keeping his voice as calm as possible. “Bring him here, quickly now, but don’t get anyone worked up.”

Johnson turned his attention back to the screen where the unknown ship was loitering in the outer system on what looked like a scouting profile. It didn’t take long for the Deputy and O’Neill to return.

“What’s the matter, Marshal?” O’Neill frowned as he approached then looked down at the screens. “A ship… it’s not squawking a Vitozen transponder so it’s not one of ours.”

“Indeed, we’ve been pinging it for IFF for the past ten minutes,” Johnson replied. “I need you to take your ship and head to Liberty Station, you need to let the Navy know what is happening here… just in case.”

“I understand,” O’Neill nodded grimly. “When do you want me to leave.”

“Immediately,” Johnson replied. “It’s a forty-eight hour round trip as it is.”

“You can count on me,” O’Neill said firmly. “But my leaving now will arouse suspicions.”

“I know, but that ship could be in orbit in a few hours if it put its mind to it,” Johnson replied. “People are going to work out something is up, besides I’m going to have to consider bringing everyone into the shield, and god knows the ranchers and famers are going to be cross as hell about that one. “

“Alright, I’ll get going immediately,” O’Neill nodded then tipped his hat and departed.

Johnson watched and a few minutes later a contact rose from the colony and sped away into space, before disappearing as it activated its slip drive and began its trip to Liberty Station. He then turned to his Deputy again.

“Gather the rest of the team, have them muster here and arm themselves, even if they aren’t openly hostile I would imagine we’re going to get guests some time soon, I want to be ready for them,” Johnson instructed and watched as the Deputy departed, clearly glad to have something to do, then turned back to the screen. “Alright, I guess we should see who… or what, these people are.”

Manipulating a few controls he activated the communications system and sent out a general broadcast into the system.

“Attention unknown vessel, this is New Austin Traffic Control, you are in the territory of the United Systems of Vitoze,” Marshal said, trying to remember the official challenge he was supposed to make at a time like this. “Please identify yourself and state your intentions at this time.”

I'm up for pretty much anything in this, my intro thread, as long as I get a chance to flesh out my nation before I try and get more involved in threads outside of my direct control. I'm trying to emphasise the frontier nature of the fringe parts of my nation so an opportunity to expand on life in New Austin is desirable, hence why the nearest naval (official etc) presence is a full two days away. I have limited the contacts present to one ship because I don't want this to end up in a dick-measuring contest, but limited conflict is on the table, indeed would be interesting.

I would only ask that you can write decent length and decent quanlity posts and want to have fun, I'm sure we'll get along swimmingly. I look forward to writing with you all. Thanks
Last edited by United Systems of Vitoze on Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:51 pm

OOC:I'm not keen on doing mutipule paragraphs,but I'll try to be desant

Also: permission to control the Unknown contact ship?

Great Ingen
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Ingen » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:25 pm

Aboard the IJN Sunhunter

The Kawasaki-class shuttle was not the most powerful vessel in the Imperial arsenal. In fact, it was quite the opposite. A transport shuttle with only a twin blaster cannon and a couple of anti-torpedo lasers, it could seriously menace infantry and, in the hands of a skilled crew, chase off a couple of starfighters. With two wings angled down at 45° from the hull and another dorsal wing pointing straight up, all behind a pointed cockpit, it was a relatively elegant vessel. This particular one had a deep navy blue hull with gold piping, marking it as belonging to the 110th Fleet.

The Sunhunter, however, was disfigured, a ragged hole visible in the port bow where the blaster cannon there had been shot away. Smoke billowed from one of the engines and the shuttle was listing.

Aboard, the trio of survivors panicked as they realised they were being hailed. Only one of them, Ensign Helena Rostock, spoke Basic, the language known as 'English' that had originated in the Solar System and become the lingua franca of the known universe, and she listened intently to the hail from planetside. She was a Neusattran, from a chilly provincial planet in the Jade Empire, her golden hair, silvery-gold skin and Germanic accent made this obvious. She turned to her commanding officer, Yoshi Minowara, and translated the hail into Ingenious for him.

Captain Minowara was a stereotypical Ingenious. Shaved bald, with olive skin and a trim black goatee, he had crows feet radiating from his intense eyes. He was a man of few words and contemplative nature, and unlike the faint distress ringing in Helena's voice, when he spoke it was with an indifference that seemed almost reckless.

"Tell them we are members of the Imperial Jade Navy and we demand a docking berth on their planet." he said, staring at the planet in front of them.

Helena suppressed a sigh and leaning over the comm. Her accent strong but her speech slow and clear, she replied to Johnson's hail.

"This is Ensign Rostock of the Imperial Jade Navy. We're in some trouble and would appreciate a place to land, over."

The last member of the crew, Able Mariner Benedict 'Bennie' Wu, grinned to himself. He spoke a tiny sprinkling of Basic that he had learned from apps and foreign films, and understood enough to realise that the Ensign had probably translated the Captain's command into something a little more diplomatic.

All three of them waited with bated breath for the reply from planetside. The hail had sounded official and reasonable enough, especially compared to what they were fleeing from, but nothing was ever certain in the dark reaches of space...
Last edited by Great Ingen on Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have been roleplaying as Ingen since 2009 on various platforms - All Hail Laptev
This nation is designed for Character RP. Fleet sizes, stats etc will adapt to the RP in question. Powergaming/playing to win is garbage-tier RP. If you want to write a good story together, TG me!
Dong Wu wrote:fleeing the timeline is the absolute best solution!

Nuxipal wrote:"Laptev continues to expand in FB-1

Frankia wrote: Laptev reigns supreme. It seems that Laptev is the new Rome.

United Systems of Vitoze
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Systems of Vitoze » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:40 am

Marshal William Johnson

Johnson had waited patiently for a reply from the other ship. There was no point in worrying, and even if there was he certainly wouldn’t have let his Deputies see that he was nervous or worried, after all the unknown ship would either reply and probably be friendly, or not and be hostile by default. No amount of worrying or concerns would change that realty, nor would they make the situation any different after the fact. All it would do was make his Deputies uneasy, the general population would notice their unease and that was the last thing Johnson needed. If this colony was about to come under attack he needed the population to remain calm and follow his instructions, and the key to ensuring that calm existed was that he, as the main authority in New Austin, and his deputies by extension, led by example. After all, if the Marshal and his Deputies were nervous, what hope did anyone else have in conquering their fear of the unknown, their fear of death and destruction, to hold out long enough for help to reach them. Everyone in New Austin had known the risks, hell anyone in the Fringe knew them, and that was something at least, but the basic human programming was to avoid death at all cost.

“Receiving a return message, Marshal,” The Deputy replied.

“Alright then, let’s see what these people want.”

Johnson leant back in his chair as he listened to the message. Well, they didn’t sound like they were hostile, although the question that then arose was could he be trusted, after all was a military vessel of a foreign power that was now in United Systems space. Never the less, these people sounded like they were in trouble and, for al the rough-and-tumble nature of the Fringe, most Fringers were more than happy to help a stranger in need, and as a United System Marshal, Johnson wasn't going to turn them away either.

That being said, as a Lawman his immediate concern was what, precisely, was the ‘trouble’ that they had run into; the last thing he needed was that trouble following these visitors to New Austin, as the colony lacked the ability to defend itself, such was the small-scale nature of its establishment. Johnson was now, more than ever, glad of his decision to send Mister O’Neill to Liberty Station to inform the local Naval command of the situation. Sure, it would take twenty-four hours for the Freelancer’s civilian slipstream drive to reach Liberty Station, but once the Navy was informed they would be able to respond a lot quicker. That response could be anywhere from a single warship, probably a Cruiser, to an entire Carrier Battle Group. It was comforting to know that they would be on their way, but the last thing he wanted was for a Fleet Carrier, and all of its accompanying escorts, to arrive without warning that might provoke a response from the visitors. It was something he was going to have to discuss with them, once the introductions were made.

Never the less, regardless of the potential issues that their arrival might produce, Johnson would be eternally grateful when the Navy did indeed arrive as it took the situation firmly out of his hands. As a United Systems Marshal in the Fringe he had some authority to speak for the US, but certainly nothing on the level of a Naval Flag Officer that would be at the head of whatever force headed out here to defend New Austin from its potential ‘attackers’. But for the next couple of days these people were here problem, at least in orbit they’d be well in the firing line of the orbital defences, and the sensor net would (hopefully) give them sufficient warning that they were about to attack to raise the defensive shield to protect them whilst those orbital weapons destroyed the aggressor. He wondered if these people would want shore leave and his the inhabitants of New Austin would react; although generally friendly and genial, many Fringers (particularly Freelancers) had lost friends or family at the hands of aliens over the years.

“She looks badly damaged, Marshal,’ The Deputy commented, looking at the sensor returns. “I’m amazed she’s still flying.”

“Well then, we can’t afford to waste any more time,” Johnson said firmly, his decision made. “Give them permission to land, have the lads meet me at the spaceport, and send for Doctor Newman.”

The Deputy nodded as Johnson stepped away, scooped up his stetson and made his way back outside again, settling his hat onto his head as he made his way purposefully down Main Street towards the spaceport. He was met there by half a dozen other lawmen, all looking a little nervous. He quickly briefed his Deputies on the situation and instructed them to start informing the community leaders and any groups of citizens that they encountered. Whilst they were doing this, reserve Deputies started to arrive so he briefed them on the situation as well. He considered inssuing the heavier weaponry that the Marshal’s Office had available; rifles, shotguns and the like, but decided that they were not really needed at this point. All of his Deputies (like most Fringers) were armed with the ubiquitous Gunslinger Special, and as much as the Deputies would bet asked with keeping the locals from getting inside, if these visitors were using the shuttle as cover for an attack then, even if they were wearing body armour, the powerful Gunslinger Specials would give them pause for thought, and realistically, if this was the start of a major attack it would not make much of a difference; his people were Lawmen, not soldiers.

When word came that the shuttle was beginning its approach, Johnson arrayed his Deputies around the Spaceport; covering all the entrances as well as securing one of the landing bays into which the visitors would be directed. With the amount of men that Johnson had available, between his regular Deputies and his reserves, it would be obvious to the visitors that he was being cautious, it would be equally obvious that the they were Lawmen, not soldiers. As he watched the shuttle land his hand drifted, almost subconsciously, to his sidearms, favouring the right hand weapon, but he didn’t actually touch them, much less draw them.

As the shuttle touched down Johnson turned to the newest arrival, the Colony Doctor, John Newman.

“Glad you could join us, Doc,” He commented wryly.

“What have we got?” Newman frowned.

“Not sure, though that shuttle has taken a beating,” Johnson shook his head. “I wanted you close in case they’ve got any wounded.”

“Understood,” Newman nodded. “Look, here they come.”

Johnson nodded and stepped towards the shuttle as the hatch opened and the visitors appeared.

“Welcome to New Austin Colony, I am United Systems Marshal William Johnson,” He said simply, keeping his hands close to, but clearly away from, his weapons. “You look like you’ve had something of a scrap! How can we be of assistance?”
Last edited by United Systems of Vitoze on Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Great Ingen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Ingen » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:38 am

Ensign Helena Rostock

Guiding the stricken shuttle down as gracefully as possible given the circumstances, Helena took the opportunity to take in the vista visible from her viewport. Wide, fertile country with rolling hills and shadowed valleys, it looked like healthy, if hot, farmland. She imagined that in the height of summer it might be a little too warm for comfort, and in some places the greenery gave way to scrub and scorched rock, but overall she could see why people had made the effort to colonise the place.

As they closed into the landing pad, which looked well-used but in good repair, she spotted perhaps a dozen humans on the ground, plainly awaiting their arrival. They looked to be armed with sidearms but no longarms, meaning they were probably local law enforcement. Either that, or they had some non-traditional weapons up their sleeves, which was always a possibility. The fact that they were humans boded well, at least in Rostock's mind, as did their dress and clear sense of organisation.

The shuttle landed, its lower wings folding up to nestle alongside its dorsal wing as landing struts emerged with a pneumatic hiss. A ramp dropped from the rear of the craft and Rostock emerged first. As a fleet Ensign, she was dressed in a crisp white suit with jade-green piping, and at her hip was an Arisaka Type 12 Blaster pistol. Behind her came Able Mariner Wu, his right arm in a sling, dressed in the jade-green jumpsuit of an enlisted member of the fleet, also with a Type 12 on his hip. Finally, his boots clanking on the metallic surface of the shuttle's ramp, came Captain Minowara.

Where the two sailors looked professional and reliable, Minowara looked warlike and belligerent. He was dressed head-to-toe in sleek, angular armour known to the Marines as the MACS, faintly reminiscent of Japanese kabuto armour. A silvery black, it had the six-spoked roundel of the Jade Empire picked out in a yellowy-gold on the left breast and each shoulder, with a full helmet fronted by a blank silver visor obscuring his face. Two curling horns in the same yellow-gold rose from his helmet, whilst at his side hung a katana that seemed to boast a blade made of orange glass. At his other hip was a squat, blunt pistol and on his back was slung a rifle.

He stamped into position between the two mariners and slowly turned his inscrutable gaze across the colonists as Johnson spoke and Rostock murmured a translation. After a moment of silence, he bowed stiffly, the two mariners echoing him but adding a few degrees of depth to their bows. He straightened and placed his hands on his hips as he replied, his voice sonorous and sing-song, given a strange quality by his helmet. Rostock translated.

"Thank you for your hospitality. This is Captain of Marines Yoshi Minowara of the Jade Empire of Ingen. I am Ensign Rostock of the Jade Navy and this is Able Mariner Wu. We have been separated from our fleet during an action over Clearwater, and require repairs to our shuttle and medical attention for Able Mariner Wu."

She offered a winning smile, perhaps in an attempt to offset the undiplomatic presence of Captain Minowara, but behind the smile she was afraid. Not of the colonists, who seemed friendly enough, or of the possibility that Minowara would find a way to sour things, which was admittedly a concern. No, she was afraid that they would not be the only newcomers to New Austin. She considered going into detail, but she did not want to overload these strangers with information right at the moment of first contact. Not only that, but for all their friendly appearance and kind words, she had no idea whether they had already been touched by the Merger.

I have been roleplaying as Ingen since 2009 on various platforms - All Hail Laptev
This nation is designed for Character RP. Fleet sizes, stats etc will adapt to the RP in question. Powergaming/playing to win is garbage-tier RP. If you want to write a good story together, TG me!

United Systems of Vitoze
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Systems of Vitoze » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:12 am

Marshal William Johnson

Marshal Johnson watched, doing his best to maintain a calm, collected exterior even as his mind raced as he assessed the visitors as they appeared. The first two to step down from the shuttle did not concern him; although they were armed this was by no means a problem; weapons were prevalent in the United Systems, and damn near essential out here in the Fringe. From their closing he assumed, correctly, that what they had said during their initial exchange had been true and accurate; they were naval personnel on a naval shuttle that had run into some trouble, although he was eager to find out what that trouble was. Either way, in terms of their clothing, weapons and general demeanour, they did not come across as hostile. The same could not be said for the third individual to step down from the shuttle, decked out as he was in what looked to be combat armour and carrying a significant amount of weaponry to say the least; including, he was amused to note, what looked to be some form of sword. Whilst it was true that the United Systems Military still issued its officers with swords they were for ceremonial use only.

Of course, the third visitor’s sidearm and rifle more then made up for the sword.

The presence of combat armour was a complication that Johnson could have done without; and the fact that the visitor had decided to come of his shuttle in the combat armour was not a good sign either. Sure, it may be that was all that he had, but in that case surely common sense would have prevailed and he would have carried less weapons. Combat armour was by no means unheard of in the United Systems, with the Infantry and the Marines making full use of it for their close-combat troops, but was heavily restricted, with far lighter alternatives being available for the civilian market or non-combat troops. Never the less, Johnson was not convinced that even his Gunslinger Special could punch through that armour, although concentrated fire might. Rather, he was going to have to issue his Deputies with the long arms from the Armoury; the Hermes Corp Frontiersman Ion Repeater; a highly popular rifle in the Fringe; which whilst lacking the sheer stopping power and armour-piercing potential of the M99 used by the United Systems Military, was a rugged, powerful weapon designed, specifically, much like the Gunslinger Special, for life out on the Fringe.

The problem was that, in the spirit of being welcoming, Johnson had not armed his people with long arms prior to the visitor’s arrival; to actively arm them as such now would not be subtle and the visitors would almost certainly notice it. Frustrating, to say the least, that, on first impressions, at least one of the visitors did not value hospitality.

Johnson listened carefully to the translated explanation from the Ensign that had responded to his earlier hail. The mention that they had been separated from their fleet during a naval action was concerning; hopefully whoever they had been fighting would not be in a position to chase down their lone shuttle, as the last thing that he needed was an attack on New Austin. Sure, they had limited orbital defences but these were designed to keep pirates away and to provide the Colony, and Johnson in particular, with a means of enforcing traffic regulations in the orbital space… it was not designed to fend off a concerted attack by a fully-fledged warship. It was comforting, in some respects, that he had already sent word to Liberty Station, but wished that the colony was big enough to have its own slipspace transceiver that would have allowed a message to be sent far, far quicker. But it wasn’t, and this was the situation they were in. Never the less, the Ensign seemed to be aware of her superior’s far more ‘aggressive’ appearance and was trying to offset that, which was comforting; and if he was a Marine Officer then that might partially explain his attitude.

Johnson nodded and stepped forwards with as warm a smile as he could muster.

“Of course, I asked our Colony Physician, Doctor Newman, to be here in case you needed medical attention, so that is fortuitous; we’ll get your Able Mariner to our clinic and we’ll have him fixed up in no time,” Johnson replied, gesturing to Doctor Newman who, for all his gruff appearance, stepped forward with a smile. “As for your shuttle, I’m sure our ground crew will be happy to assist; although we’ll have to talk with the Spaceport Director, and our differing tech bases may be a problem, but we’ll do what we can for you.”

Johnson glanced at the shuttle, then back at the visitors.

“In the meantime, on behalf of the United Systems I would offer you the hospitality of New Austin for as long as you need,” Johnson added. “Now, I think we ought to handle the elephant in the room; I’ve got no issues with y’all carrying your sidearms in New Austin, but I can’t allow you into the colony so armed and armoured, sir; folks are like to get nervous.”
Last edited by United Systems of Vitoze on Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Ingen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Ingen » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:02 pm

Ensign Helena Rostock

Helena's mind raced, not only as she scrambled for the proper words in Ingenious, but also as she tried to work out the best course of action. On the one hand, she fully understood this Marshall's requests. In Imperial territory, strangers would not even be permitted their sidearms, so on the face of it he was being quite reasonable and she would certainly make the same demands if she were in his boots.

On the other hand, they had no idea if these people genuinely were friendly. A Captain of the Soto Mo-Bushi in full battle gear was a solid deterrent, and would quite likely make the difference if any kind of double-cross went down, but without his armour he was just a human like everyone else. On top of that, she had a sinking feeling that she knew exactly how he would respond if asked to surrender his arms and armour. She sighed, and decided to bend the truth a little. Nobody but her would know.

"Captain, they say they can lend us equipment for repairs and will be able to assist Mariner Wu, but regretfully inform you that power armour and long weapons are forbidden within city limits. Their own law enforcement carry only sidearms, as you can see."

There was silence for a moment. Sweat beaded on Helena's brow, and to brush it away she pretended to adjust her dutch braid as she waited for the captain's response. After what seemed like an eternity, he nodded, waved a hand dismissively and turned to walk back into the shuttle. Mariner Wu audibly let out a sigh of relief, stepping towards Doctor Newman with a smile on his face.

Ensign Rostock stepped forward and held out her hand to the Marshall. "Thank you, Marshall Johnson. The Jade Empire has been in a constant state of war for nearly a century, so some of our officers are habitually cautious. We are grateful for your assistance. I know it can't be easy being in charge of security out in the colonies."

That was as close as Johnson was going to get to an apology for Minowara's attitude. Privately, and not for the first time, Helena wished she had been assigned to the 170th fleet instead, where she could be surrounded by Neusattrans. The Ingenious and Felidaens who made up the rest of the Empire could be a little combative for Neusattran tastes, to say the least, and that was saying a lot given the Neusattrans had lived in a constant state of tribal warfare for centuries prior to their first contact with the Jade Empire. Helena had a cousin serving on the IJN Weirdstone of Brisingamen and, although she was proud to be serving on the IJN Nine Voices of the 110th Fleet, Helena did feel envious of her cousin from time to time.

In the distance, Minowara re-emerged, now clad in simple black fatigues and a black woolen forage cap with a pair of crossed katanas embossed in gold. The blade and handgun still hung at his hip, but his rifle was also now gone. Hands clasped behind his back, he strolled slowly and nonchalantly back towards Johnson and Helena, giving Johnson time to reply before he arrived in earshot.

United Systems of Vitoze
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Systems of Vitoze » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:30 am

Marshal William Johnson

Although he didn’t show it, Marshal Johnson was very relieved when the visiting Marine Officer agreed to his insistence that he tone things down a little bit. Settlements out in the fringe were rough and tumble affairs, but there were a set of unspoken rules that pretty much everyone followed, and there was a certain degree of social enforcement in addition to the efforts of the Lawmen. Sidearms were prevalent, pretty much everyone in the Fringe was carrying, but long arms were generally a sign of trouble, unless you were just coming back from hunting or a stay in the wilderness; as such it was generally accepted that they would remain with your vehicle rather than being carried openly. The same was true for body armour; unless you were military, law enforcement or a Freelancer just back from a trip off-world there was literally no excuse for wearing body armour in the street, much less the kind of armour that the visiting Marine had been wearing. Moreover, there was a delicate balance of trust between a Colony and its lawmen, the last thing that Johnson wanted to do, as a Federal Lawman, was alienate his own people; if there was one rule for one there had to be the same rule for everyone.

Johnson felt his eyes narrow as he listened to the explanation from the Ensign; a constant state of war for a century sounded outlandish, but he could not think of a reason that she would make it up. It certainly did not make him feel better about the potential threat to New Austin, and he would feel a whole hell of a lot better when the Navy turned up; he knew the limitations of his orbital defences. He was going to have to find out more about this potential threat, once they got past this initial interaction.

“Good people mainly, but a more rowdy and independent-minded folk you are unlikely to meet, so definitely is a challenge,” Johnson agreed wryly. “It’s all about honour, justice and fair play, so one rule for everyone; I wouldn’t allow U.S. Infantry on my streets in battle armour either, for what that’s worth.”

Johnson glanced beyond the Ensign to watch as the Marine Captain returned, not clad in fatigues rather than battle armour; his sidearm and blade on his hips, which was good enough for him.

“Okay, I’ll post a couple of my Deputies to guard your shuttle against anyone who gets too curious, and we can talk to the Spaceport Director and see what they can do for you, Doctor Newman can see to your Able Mariner” Johnson said once the Captain had rejoined them, turning and leading the way out of the Spaceport. “Now, I should let you know that when we first detected you, and identified you as not being from the United Systems, I sent a courier to the Liberty Naval Station, just in case, so we’ll have some company soon enough.”

The Spaceport was at the end of Main Street; which ran from the Spaceport Entrance due south and out of the Colony; it was along Main Street that the bulk of the colony’s business and major buildings were located; the Marshal’s Office, the General Store, Saloon, Hotel, Gunsmith and various other shops. Off the Main Street were the various residences, getting less dense and more expansive as they headed towards the outskirts where the farmland took over. They were headed a short distance down the Street to Newman’s Clinic, where they could check up on the Able Mariner.
Last edited by United Systems of Vitoze on Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Ingen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Ingen » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:10 pm

Ensign Helena Rostock

As they strolled through the colony, it became abundantly clear that this was a fringe world. Even the smaller buildings were reasonable in size and the town sprawled for quite a distance, suggesting there was plenty of space and not enough souls to fill it. The actual houses seemed in good enough repair, if rustic, and all of the businesses seemed to be on this main street, within a stones throw of each other. Helena overestimated the population and guessed at perhaps two thousand citizens. On Neusattar, even rural communities were built close to one another, originally for defense and now simply for practicality given the freezing cold that gripped the planet for nearly half the year, whilst on Laptev in the cities folk were crammed on top of one another like boxes of produce.

When Johnson mentioned that he had messaged for reinforcements, Helena felt a wash of relief course through her, tinged with doubt. If these United Systems people truly were to be trusted, then the arrival of their navy was more than she could have hoped for. Hearing that they were large enough to have a standing fleet, she explained to Captain Minowara who gave an approving grunt, and then fired back a rattling burst of Ingenious.

"The Captain says that was a good idea. The enemy may be here soon, and we have been unable to contact the Imperial Jade Navy."

She sighed, glancing up at the sky, and then turned to look back at Marshall Johnson, whose face radiated honesty to her, although she knew appearances could be deceiving.

"I'm afraid us coming here has put New Austin at risk, Marshall. I should explain," she began after a pause, using her own words now rather than translating for the captain. "The Jade Empire is at war with an organisation called the Merger. What they are, nobody is entirely sure, and we don't really even understand their motives. They have been committing terrorist attacks against us for decades, but we thought we had crushed their fleet at the Keystone System twenty-five years ago. Last year, a fleet of theirs appeared over one of our prospective colonies and was only driven off by sheer good luck. Since then, we have been encountering larger and larger battlegroups. We were with the 110th Fleet, which boasts more than 200 capital ships, and were ambushed in deep space. We were delivering reinforcements to one of our cruisers that had been boarded by the enemy, and had just taken off to return and pick up more marines when enemy fighters cut us off. We were chased away from the battlefield and we were forced to make a hyperspace jump."

She cast a wary gaze at Minowara, who was listening intently. Although he spoke no Basic, he had clearly recognised the words 'Merger' and 'Keystone' system and was most likely wondering what the Ensign was telling these strangers. She said something to him in a placating tone and he nodded and replied.

"The Captain regretfully apologises for disturbing your territory, and would like to inform you that he will give his life to prevent any harm that might befall you because of our inconsiderate actions." explained Helena, a little sheepishly. "I don't think they will come after us, honestly. When we were forced away, the 110th had the upper hand, and I can't imagine the Merger tracking us all the way here and sending ships after a single half-empty shuttle, but it's only fair we warn you...these guys, they're not like you or I. If they land on a colony, they won't just change the flag on the town hall."

She watched for his reply carefully. Throughout its long history, the Jade Empire had admittedly gained a reputation for warmongering. In the early days of the Laptev Axis, the Empire and its allies had conquered the entire planet of Laptev, uniting it before turning their attention to the stars. Their power had eventually grown to consume the entirety of the vast FB-1 galaxy, gradually expanding their territory as the tendrils of their diplomatic influence spread throughout the stars. At one point, all major alliances in FB-1 had either sided with the Laptev Axis or been crushed in the devastating wars of three decades ago. Ironically, however, as the Laptev Axis had finally achieved dominance through its Pyrrhic victory and had begun working towards reconciliation and a new galactic golden age, the Merger had reared its head. Even the combined guns of the Axis and all the fleets of FB-1 had been unable to turn the tide against the sheer malice of the Merger, and eventually the few survivors had taken the one-way trip through the gates constructed by the Imaginariumese and Kirans at great risk. They had arrived here, in what had been designated NS-1, and had thought themselves safe. They had been wrong.

United Systems of Vitoze
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Systems of Vitoze » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:03 am

Marshal William Johnson

Johnson was too experienced a Lawman to let his distress at the Ensign’s revelations show on his face as they walked along Main Street towards Newman’s Clinic; his fears about a potential enemy following these people to New Austin appeared to have been well-founded. Although it sounded like these people’s own fleet had been in the superior position, that could change quickly and it could very well be a biased opinion from the Ensign, which would be understandable. Never the less, despite the relatively low chances of this ‘Merger’ following a single shuttle all the way here, and attacking, it was a far from ideal situation, as if this enemy did send anything heavier than a frigate, then his orbital defences were simply not going to be good enough. When the Navy arrived, likely in the form of a Carrier Battle Group, he would feel a lot better about the situation, especially given that the Flag Officer in command would have access to the Slipspace Transceivers on his flagship to summon additional reinforcements if this situation escalated beyond its current level of concern. Never the less, it would still be twenty-three hours before Mister O’Neill arrived at Liberty Station, although the Navy’s superior slipspace engines would allow them to respond very quickly.

“I appreciate Y’all giving me a heads up about what might be coming, and for what it’s worth, whilst you are our guests I offer you the protection of the United Systems, although, until the Navy turns up I will be limited in what I can do if these people are determined,” Johnson replied grimly. “Once the Navy arrives, I’m sure the Flag Officer will have a great number of questions for you about the enemy and their potential capabilities, they certainly sound like a significant concern and something of a menace!”

By this point they arrived at Newman’s Clinic and stepped inside. Whilst the architecture might have appeared rustic, in keeping with the aesthetic of a Fringe colony, the technology in the interior was of the same standard you would find in the Core, although obviously a small Fringe clinic lacked large, specialised diagnostic and analysis machines. Never the less, Doctor Newman would be able to treat the vast majority of illnesses and injuries in this place, and if there was anything more serious, like an unknown disease, he had the facility to quarantine and request specialist support from the Core. The same was true across the Colony, and indeed across the Fringe; the exteriors would look mighty deceiving when you considered what was inside them. But then, when the Fringe was first being settled, parallels were immediately drawn between it and the American West of Old Earth, a lifestyle and view on life that the Fringers had been more than happy to adopt as their own; much to the despair of the ‘more refined’ Core.

“Alright then, Able Mariner,” Doctor Newman said gesturing to an exam table. “Let’s have a look at you.”

As Doctor Newman began his treatment, Johnson turned back to the two officers.

“I’ll arrange for Mister Carter to put you folk up at his Hotel across the way, you’ll be comfortable enough there whilst we work on repairs to your ship, which we will still need to talk to the Spaceport Director, Mister Mendoza, about,” Johnson explained, gesturing across to the Hotel. “Don’t take this the wrong way, but I’ll also be detailing one of my Deputies to stay with you at all time, now I don’t expect any trouble, but there are rough and rowdy folk here, and I’d rather have one of my people looking after you, just in case.”

Great Ingen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Ingen » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:53 pm

Ensign Helena Rostock

As Doctor Newman inspected the injured mariner, it would become clear it was a fairly clean transverse fracture of the ulnea, with no open wound. As the two of them muddled through using Wu's handful of phrases and a lot of impromptu miming, Helena translated. The captain nodded curtly and rattled off a brief reply. Helena said something placating and then he grudgingly gave his assent. Helena tugged off her cap, letting a lock of her golden hair fall down. Minowara snapped in reproof, but she shrugged and again offered some kind of placatory reply. The gesture seemed to humanise her a little more. Without the military cap, she was just another twenty-something human, exhausted and uncomfortable, even if she did have a strangely lustrous skin tone.

"He says he will sleep on the shuttle," explained Helena, "but Wu and I would greatly appreciate your hospitality over at the hotel."

She looked around at the interior. Much like buildings at home, although the aesthetics may have appeared rustic and quaint, the signs of advanced technology were everywhere when you knew where to look. Well-appointed and professional, New Austin seemed to be the perfect mix of the old and the new, and she was relatively confident that Wu would be well taken care of here.

To fill the silence, she placed her hands on her hips and cocked her head and asked Marshall about his country. "Tell me about the United Systems, Marshall. You're obviously big enough to have a fleet, stable enough to have a government, and good enough to give refuge to strangers, but what else?"

Elsewhere

The viewport showed nothing outside but swirling red, a haze of energy and nothingness. The interior of the ship was dark, illuminated only by red overheads. The black helmets of the crew showed fuzzy reflections of the dull lights, and they sat in silence as the ship rattled through the nothingness. An icon winked on in the stygian gloom. A voice, muffled and made crackly by a helmet grille, spoke.

"Arrival is imminent."

One of the figures stood. "Prepare to land. We will not let them escape."

With that, it marched from the bridge, stooping through a narrow doorway and disappearing into the murkiness beyond.

United Systems of Vitoze
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Systems of Vitoze » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:16 pm

Marshal William Johnson

Johnson watched the exchange between the two visiting officers with silent amusement, especially as the Marine Officer seemed to be fitting the stereotype of ‘gruff marine’ very well; clearly some things were the same across the cosmos. He also noted with some sense of approval as the Ensign removed her headgear and relaxed a little; it was obvious that this situation was not exactly your standard first contact situation and there was no point in anyone standing on ceremony, certainly not out here in the Fringe. Without her full uniform she was just another young woman, one who reminded him in a few ways of Tess Macfarlane albeit several years her senior but not by too much if he was any judge of age (and as a Lawman he liked to think that he was). He nodded his understanding of the arrangements that the visitors wished to have, and whilst he would have preferred to have all his guests in one place for simplicity sake he wasn’t about to refuse the request, as he could easily enough post Deputies to both the Hotel and to the Spaceport. He wondered whether it was a case of the Marine officer preferring to rough it, or whether he was being stubborn on principle, but he supposed it did not really matter too much.

Johnson smiled slightly at the question.

“Well I guess it depends what you want to know,” He replied wryly.

Leaning against the wall he considered his response.

“The United Systems of Vitoze is split into the Core, a cluster of seven systems all of which have one more inhabitable or terraformed worlds which are heavily developed, and the Fringe, several dozen smaller colonies ranging with New Austin the smallest and newest,” Johnson explained. “The United Systems is a federal constitutional republic, with each of our Systems retaining a degree of sovereignty over their own affairs, out here in the Fringe things are a little more hardscrabble, led by the People, save for the representatives of Federal authority, such as myself.”

Johnson smiled wryly.

“Is there anything specifically you would like to know? He asked. “Or anything you can tell me about your own Empire?”

Great Ingen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Ingen » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:01 am

Ensign Helena Rostock

Helena smiled. Despite being a federal officer, it was clear the Marshall was proud of being a Fringer, and relished the rugged frontier lifestyle no less than the people he was here to protect. That spirit was common among the people of Neusattar as well. Whilst the average Ingenious went forth stoically because their duty bound them to, the Neusattrans took to the stars gladly, eager to push the boundaries ever further in a limitless, free existence. Joining the Imperial Jade Navy was the easiest way to escape the beaten path, even if it meant submitting to military discipline.

"The Jade Empire is...similar, in some ways. Most of our population live in core system of Laptev or the planet of Taiidan, but we have dozens of minor colonies too. The Empire is not a democracy, however. We practice a feudal system, with a market economy subject to government oversight. The government doesn't much care what people do in their daily lives, so long as they pay their taxes and enough of them sign up to keep the military operational."

She shrugged. "It might seem alien to you. It's certainly not how the Neusattrans used to live, but we owe our lives to the Jade Empire. We're not originally inhabitants of this...I'm not sure, galaxy or universe or dimension? Perhaps twenty years ago, our original home was destroyed. We, and every single civilisation in our known space, were forced to flee from something the Merger unleashed. Many of us didn't make it. The few nations that possessed the technology, willpower and sheer good luck managed to make a one-way trip here. For the last twenty years we have been rebuilding, finding new routes among the stars and reconnecting with the few of us that made it..."

Her voice thickened a little with emotion. She was too young to really remember much of the Deep Harvest. All she knew was the panic, the fear, and the tears of the adults around her. A youth spent in crisis, of names and places spoken with reverential, mournful voices. Even now, the names were legend. Katasia, Jamesistan, Dong Wu. The UPEO. Qart-Hadastim, San Alejandro, Czechanada, the Red Dragons, the Systems Commonwealth, the Great Houses, the Concordiat. All faded into memory, and now the great bogeyman, the Merger, had returned. Despite everything, despite all the sacrifice and loss, it had followed them, a nightmare turned real for a new generation.

United Systems of Vitoze
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Systems of Vitoze » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:02 pm

Marshal William Johnson

Johnson nodded his understanding as he listened to the Ensign’s explanation of the of the Jade Empire; the use of a feudal system seemed to be something of a quaint system of governance, although as a ‘Fringer’ he could appreciate a Government staying out of the business of its people except where necessary. His expression softened as the Ensign continued to explain the recent history of her country, which certainly sounded dark and difficult, and whilst she was doubtless too young to remember too much about the events, unless he was off on his estimations of her age, he also knew that children were often particularly sensitive to events around them.Moreover, growing up in the aftermath had to be difficult, and he found himself sympathising the obvious emotion in the young woman’s voice. Although he didn’t show it, he was concerned about this enemy, which based on the Ensign’s earlier comments seemed to have been who they had been engaged in combat with when they had separated from their command, and if they were as bad as they sounded he did not want them to come to New Austin.

The United Systems had its own dark history, with the invasion of the Vokan Empire that had come so close to destroying the entire civilisation before they had been repelled; that conflict had resulted in over a century of comparative isolation for the United Systems, save for the handful of Freelancers that ventured beyond known space.

“You have my sympathies, Ensign, it certainly sounds like your Empire has been in the thick of it recently,” Johnson replied softly after she had finished speaking. “Please don’t take this as insensitive, but now that you’ve said that I do have a few questions I need to ask.”

Johnston stepped forward towards the two officers away from Newman and the Able Mariner.

“This Merger you mentioned; you also mentioned them earlier when you were talking about the engagement that separated you from the rest of your fleet, I take it then you were engaged in combat with them at the time and they are still a threat?” Johnson asked, then added follow-up questions. “If so, I do need to know as much as you can tell be about their capabilities and whether or not they will follow you here to New Austin, indeed if we are to protect you here, I would have to request as much information on them as possible, particularly to provide to the Navy when they arrive.”

Great Ingen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Ingen » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:52 pm

Ensign Helena Rostock

Helena dropped her voice, as though she feared the walls had ears. As a naval officer, she was far more qualified to speak on the progress of the battle in space. The last she had known, the Jade Navy had been entangling in a messy affair with small groups of enemy ships appearing and striking sporadically across their formation.

"Historically, the Jade Empire has not lost any fleet actions against the Merger. They strike from the shadows with small acts of terror, hit-and-run attacks, and insidious plots. When hauled out into the open and placed under the guns of the Imperial Jade Navy, they don't tend to fare too well. When we were forced to make our hyperspace jump, the fleet seemed to have things in hand, but it was a bigger force than we've seen since the Keystone Campaign years ago."

She shook her head. "Things are getting worse, not better. Every time we hear from the Merger now, it is something new. They are getting stronger and bolder. I expect the 110th has already driven them off by now, but I have no idea."

She glanced at the Marshall. "To be honest, if they arrive in force, then the Imperial Jade Navy will probably not be far behind to help your fleet sink their vessels. What I am afraid of is the threat we cannot see. If they land their agents here...terror and murder suit their foul agenda far better than orbital bombardment."

The outskirts of New Austin System

"Reverting to realspace, sir." came the muffled voice. Bailiff Mashchit stood and spread his arms, tipping back his head and letting the shuddering reversion to reality rock his body. When he looked back down, the inky blackness of the void had filled the viewport, with a few tiny glimmers of light betraying the presence of the planet they had tracked their prey to.

Bailiff Mashchit was in command of what had once been a Juncker-class gunboat, manufactured during the Trathiran Revolt. It had been decades since those fateful days, and the ship had been remodelled and refitted more than once. With a hull that looked like a rectangular pyramid with the peak sheared off, it resembled an old ironclad gunship from the Civil War in the United States of the Sol System, a design that hailed from long before the advent of space travel and laser cannons. At close to eighty metres long, the gunboat was a powerful ship, but it was no dreadnought or destroyer. It itself had been hammered during the battle, and had nearly been sunk by a Misericorde-class frigate which had lashed it with volleys of fire before the gunboat had hurled itself into the Corruption, chasing the errant shuttle that had evaded the Bailiff and his crew.

Mashchit had nearly a score of crew under his command. He knew that the Imperial shuttle was lightly crewed and wanted to take the handful of souls aboard prisoner - that, after all, had been the purpose of their assault on the Jade fleet. The shuttle's sudden retreat had left it isolated and vulnerable, perfect for his needs. A quick scan of the system revealed no significant warships were present, although the natives did seem to be space-capable. A smash-and-grab raid, then, butchering any primitives that got in their way and dragging the Imperials screaming into captivity. The natives would be getting the better deal, Mashchit reflected.

The gunship accelerated, roaring towards New Austin...
Last edited by Great Ingen on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Systems of Vitoze
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Systems of Vitoze » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:44 am

United Systems Marshal William T. Johnson

Johnson nodded thoughtfully as he listened to the information the Ensign was providing him with; this ‘Merger’ sounded like less of a military threat and more of an intelligence and security concern, although in some respects that would be even more insidious and potentially damaging to the United Systems as a whole. Based solely on what the Ensign had said, he suspected that the United Systems Navy would be able to repel any attack against them, indeed he wondered whether New Austin’s own defensive platforms would be sufficient to repel an attack. Rather, his concern was if they were able to infiltrate the system in some way, and that meant that he was going to have to be awfully suspicious of any and all non-Vitozen ships that might enter the system in the near future, lest he allow this potential threat to imbed itself in his colony. As the United Systems Marshal for New Austin, he was the senior Federal official in the entire star system, as it stood, and that meant that the security of the system was his concern, as was everything else within his jurisdiction, and if one thing was clear that responsibility had just become far more complicated and far more serious.

Johnson was about to respond when he heard hurried footsteps on the boardwalk outside the Clinic and watched as Deputy Mike Carter, entered the room.

“Sorry to bother you, Marshal, but there is another contact entering the system, coming this way like a bat out of hell,” Deputy Carter reported. “It looks to be about eighty meters long, so nothing particularly heavy, but its coming this way fast, and it looks like a small warship.”

Johnson frowned, immediately concerned, before turning to his visitors.

“Will you folks join me in the Marshal’s Station,” Johnson said to them, less of a request than anything else. “And hope that this isn’t who I fear it might be.”

Johnson led the way out of the clinic and along the short boardwalk towards the Marshal’s Station, from which he and his deputies policed the colony. They gathered round the cluster of stations that constituted the New Austin Traffic Control Service and, sure enough, a lone contact not squawking a Vitozen transponder was slashing towards the planet. This was something that was unlikely to be friendly, coming in that fast, so the Marshal quickly considered his options. He had his orbital defence platforms, but they were designed to keep pirates, typically in converted civilian ships, from harassing the colony and in backing up the authority of the traffic control service, not for going up against a genuine warship. Even a small one would be a handful, if it had anything close to military-grade shields or armour, and as these platforms were small, given that they had needed to be as cheap as possible, they were glass cannons to say the least. He could avail upon the freelancers in the colony, many of whom operated armed ships, but again they were civilian craft and up against a warship they would struggle to say the least. The main line of defence for the colony was a shield, however that only covered the core colony itself and not the vast swathes of farms, homesteads and ranches that spread out for many miles around New Austin.

It was a difficult situation to be in, to say the least. However, he had to confirm that these people were hostile so he had to make a challenge and see if they responded. So he leant forward and pressed a button to open a general frequency.

“Attention unknown vessel, this is New Austin Traffic Control, you are in the territory of the United Systems of Vitoze. Please identify yourself and state your intentions at this time.”

Once the channel was closed, Johnson turned to Deputy Carter.

“Break out the long arms, issue a warning to the outlying settlements of the potential threat, and pass the word to Captain Mackenzie that I am caling out the Militia, and that I need them to muster immediatly at the Marshal's Station,” Johnson ordered grimly, turning to the visitors. “I’m assuming the worst here, but I think the chances of having anyone else appear here would be too much of a coincidence, so I’d rather take no chances, that being said, have a look at the sensors, can you identify that ship at all?”
Last edited by United Systems of Vitoze on Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Ingen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Ingen » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:44 pm

Ensign Helena Rostock

The Imperials followed the Marshall to his station, again noting the sleek equipment hidden inside the seemingly rustic environs of the colony. A neat and clear holographic display showed a tiny replica of the vessel approaching the planet, and Rostock recognised its brutalistic outline almost immediately. A chill went through her gut, and a quick glance thrown towards Minowara revealed a clenched jaw, barely-disguised fury flooding across his face.

"That's a Juncker-class gunboat. It's definitely Merger." she whispered. The gunboat would be no match for an Imperial capital ship, and probably not one of the United System's warships either, but it was definitely more than enough to punch through a ring of customs vessels. Worse, it could hold a good number of crew and passengers. She turned to the Marshall and warned him that they could be dealing with anything from a half-dozen to three-score plug-uglies aboard.

Captain Minowara grunted something in low tones. "Oh, yes...uh, Marshall, Minowara is asking to return to the shuttle to collect his armour and rifle. It's our fault these bastards are here, we'll be in the front rank to stop them."

She seemed determined, keeping her voice calm and steady, but in reality she was scared witless. She was a naval mook, used to facing her opponents behind the controls of a powerful machine of war, not behind the iron sights of a firearm. She posted respectable scores in firing range exercises, but she had never been in a real gunfight, and suddenly her naval fatigues seemed horribly thin compared to the impressive bulk of Captain Minowara's armour...

The outskirts of New Austin System

The Empty Lantern angled away from the core colony, detecting the shield protecting them. It roared towards the orbital defense ring, its guns lying silent, not even deigning it necessary to return any incoming fire.

Screaming into the upper atmosphere, it thundered above the planet, bleeding speed. Still out in the far reaches of the planet's atmosphere, a series of dots emerged from its lower belly. Four black pods hurtled towards the ground.

Almost immediately, the Empty Lantern seemingly vanished. Activating a variety of countermeasures, it simply disappeared from view. Merger stealth technology was not perfect, and a magnetic signature was still clearly being emitted, but the vessel obscured itself, drifting over the colony below.

Meanwhile, the Merger agents came crashing down to the surface. Their drop pods thumped into the soil in a tight cluster outside an isolated hamstead and disgorged sixteen black-clad figures. Barely pausing, they rushed headlong towards the small huddle of buildings, weapons drawn, moving in small groups that covered one another over the dusty ground.

United Systems of Vitoze
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Systems of Vitoze » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:10 am

Johnson’s mind raced as he listened to the information around the threat that he was facing; which was just as bad as he had been concerned it would be. He nodded promptly when the Marine Officer requested to collect his arms and armour; at a time like this he could hardly afford to turn down help regardless of who was offering it. Based on the way that the enemy ship shrugged off the orbital defences, he knew that New Austin was in trouble to say the least; the Navy was still some hours away and if the sensor reports were accurate they were going to have enemy troops on the planet surface in minutes. There were a little over a thousand men, women and children on New Austin, and even if maybe two thirds of them, the men and women, were, by and large, all armed in some form, he knew that even a small number of fully armed and armoured combat troops would be able to do substantial damage and inflict significant casualties before they could be stopped. They would be stopped, one way or another, but the question was how much carnage they could create before they were.

Johnson was about to reply to the Ensign when he heard another set of hurried footsteps on the boardwalk outside and another man burst into the Marshal’s Station. This man, middle-aged but ruggedly handsome and with a determined expression, was Captain (Retired) Arthur Mackenzie, the Commanding Officer of the New Austin Colonial Militia. He had clearly just pulled on his blue uniform all-weather jacket over the light body armour he was wearing, his rank insignia displayed on the shoulders of his jacket. Like pretty much everyone else in the fringe, and unlike more organised militia units in the Core, Captain Mackenzie was armed with a Gunslinger Special, but also had a Frontiersman Ion Repeater slung over his shoulder.

The New Austin Militia was not quite an afterthought, as an Act of Congress (the Militia Act of 2512) required all fringe colonies to have at least one unit raised by a designated officer of sufficient rank and experience, but it was not exactly the most substantial force. Like the rest of the colony’s ‘defences’, it was intended to fend off pirates or raiders more than anything else. Despite his rank, which would normally have indicated command over a Company, Captain Mackenzie commanded a platoon of thirty-nine men and women, almost all of which were veterans of the United Systems Military, but most were some years out of the service, and the platoon only drilled twice a week and conducted a training weekend once a month. Perhaps most restrictive, at least in terms of the unit’s combat capability, was the fact that, as a militia unit during peacetime, the platoon was only equipped with light armour (which covered mainly the torso) and ion repeaters, rather than anything heavier. Captain Mackenzie’s platoon would, undoubtedly, be far more combat effective than the average civilian, or indeed Johnson’s deputies, but they were not frontline troops. Their ion repeaters, along with those of the deputies, and any privately owned weapons, were powerful, but lacked one-shot armour-piercing capability, but they were a far cry from the heavy combat rifles of the United Systems Military.

“Marshal,” Captain Mackenzie said said by means of greeting, glancing across at the visitor but not commenting. “The militia is mustering, where do you want us?”

“Not sure yet, keep your people central and together, the shield will protect us here, but we’ve got a lot of people out there vulnerable,” Johnson replied grimly. “The enemy ship has disappeared from our sensors, but it looks like they’ve deployed drop pods out by the Hamilton Ranch.”

Mackenzie grimaced; the Hamilton Ranch was one of the most distant of all of the settlements around New Austin, meaning that it was far too out to send the militia, indeed by the time they got out there it would likely be far, far too late.

As it was, the enemy troops landing at the Hamilton Ranch would find themselves under fire; the Marshal’s warning had been received and the ranchers and their families, numbering maybe two dozen, had armed themselves. The enemy would therefore find themselves face-to-face with the Vitozen weapons for the first time; the ion repeaters’ success would likely depend on the strength of the enemy armour, but even if the plasma slugs of the Gunslinger Specials were unable to penetrate the armour, they would still splatter the enemy with highly charged plasma which itself would start to try and burn through. Of course, none of the ranchers were military trained, so the gunfire was scattered and uncoordinated.

“We can’t just leave all those people out there, Marshal,” Mackenzie protested.

“I know, and some are already heading here to safety, but I just don’t know how we’re going to pull it off with our limited resources,” Johnson scowled. “And there’s stubborn folk out there, more than happy to die defending their property and livelihood.”

“Well, we’ll do what we can,” Mackenzie sighed, leaving to return to the militia.

Johnson shook his head and turned to the remaining visitor.

“What me to find you some body armour and a long arm, Ensign?”

Great Ingen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Ingen » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:20 pm

Ensign Helena Rostock

Helena shook her head. "I wouldn't mind a flak vest, but I'm not well trained in longarm use. You're better putting me somewhere restricted that's likely to see close quarters combat."

Helena was confident in the power of her Arisaka blaster, but she suspected that this kind of fight was going to be messy, dirty and confused. She pulled out her PID, a small tablet-like device, and began to enter some commands as she spoke.

"These guys aren't going to go in for a stand-up gunfight. They'll come at you sideways, and they'll catch you off-guard. They're likely to disguise themselves and will actively attack civilians."

She knew that was an understatement. Merger agents had detonated bombs in Aeterna and had murdered upwards of a dozen people there during a long terror campaign, and had whipped up tensions between the Resistenza di San Alejandra and the Imperial authorities in Kankitsurui District. They were experts at asymmetric warfare, and whilst Ensign Rostock would happily take part in a Wild West gunfight across a dusty town square, she was rather less comfortable with the prospect of being taken by surprise and suffering a confusing, painful death at the hands of some maniac with a brain fevered by some sickness from beyond the stars.

She contemplated her PID, then turned it so that the Marshall could see. "This is my name, rank and number, as well as the details for a communications channel used by Imperial civilian ships to contact the Imperial Jade Navy. If you want, you can use it to contact the Empire and request additional assistance. I understand if you'd rather not, but we got you into this mess and so I want to offer all the assistance we can..."

She knew that realistically, her duty was not to protect the people of New Austin. On paper, civilian casualties suffered by an unknown nation would not be a black mark against her career. She also knew that if she stood by and let them suffer because she had bought the Empire's bitter war against the Merger to their doorstep, she would never be able to live with herself. She also understood that, although the Jade Empire had not even been aware of the existence of the United Systems and so had no official stance towards them, the shared crucible of warfare was always a wonderful emollient towards friendly relations, and she didn't want the United Systems to despise the Jade Empire just because she dropped the ball. She'd let them make up their own minds, at least. She listened as radio chatter ran back and forth between the outlying settlements and the Colonial officers, and felt a stone in her gut.

"I'm sorry, Marshall...William. This must be confusing. It's our fault your folks out there are going to suffer, and probably die. I...I'm sorry."

The Hamilton Ranch

As the group loped easily towards the huddle of buildings in the far distance, a couple of vehicles, or rather the dust clouds spewing in their wake, were visible drawing up to the properties. One of the Bailiff's men paused to sight down the barrel of a sniper rifle and chuckled.

"The locals are preparing a reception." he said with relish, picking up the pace and rejoining the flock of cultists who, like the shadow of a dark cloud, slid across otherwise pristine landscape.

As they neared the ranch, they slowed, spreading out along a three-bar wooden fence and along an irrigation ditch, curling around two flanks of the ranch. A determined, yet rag-tag collection of farmhands, ranchers and other frontierfolk was waiting, clutching an assortment of blaster-type weapons. The Bailiff climbed onto the first rung of the fench and spread his arms wide, in mock delight. His helmet covered the top half of his face, two huge red lenses replacing his eyes, whilst his chin was tattooed and his teeth were a rotten yellow.

"Rejoice! We have come to free you! This life of drudgery is not your fate, no. We wi-"

He was interrupted as a bolt of energy seared from the ranchers. He had not seen it, but one of his men had been foolish enough to rest their long rifle on the fence, the barrel menacing the ranchers, and an older man had blasted off a round almost instantly.

The shot was a lucky one, catching the cultist beneath the chin and melting through his neck. His head flopped back grotesquely, barely supported, and he collapsed into the dust with a hideous gargle. The Bailiff looked at his dead minion for a moment and then waved a hand in a resigned fashion. Instantly, a variety of weapons opened up on the ranchers from two flanks. Heavy sniper rifles firing magnetically accelerated explosive and armour-piercing slugs, two machine-gun analogs that fired superheated slivers of metal at nearly 800rpm, laser rifles, and most devastatingly, a grenade launcher which at this moment was firing airburst flamethrower rounds, which detonated at a height of ten feet and sprayed burning accelerant which defied attempts to put it out. The Bailiff did not even draw his weapon as he watched the gunfight unfold. These misguided slaves were brave but foolish. Their deaths would please his masters, but they were trifling matters. They were merely an obstacle on his path. He could feel the arrogant children of Rapuchefu, ahead of him on this primitive world, and he could practically taste the torment he had planned for them. He would be rewarded greatly for their capture...

United Systems of Vitoze
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Systems of Vitoze » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Marshal Johnson listened as the Ensign explained how these people worked and, oddly enough, he felt more confident about being able to keep the colony safe, at least long enough for the military to turn up. If these people weren’t going to come straight in at him then the Militia had a far better chance fending off any attack that came in at them. If they were going to conduct an asymmetric campaign then they would have a significant issues in the long term, but the colony was unlikely to be overrun in the short term, and that was his immediate concern; he couldn’t afford to worry about what might come next. Never the less, keeping his civilians safe was going to be the priority; aside from anything else if he was going to have United Systems Marines descending on the colony to clear out these Merger hostiles then he didn’t want his people in the line of fire. His people weren’t going to like the measures he was going to take to protect them, but they would accept his authority, and at least most of those that would want to proactively defend themselves had already enlisted in the Militia.

“Deputy, please find the Ensign some armour and bring it here, then pass the word for all civilians to report to the shelters,” Johnson ordered one of his Deputies. “Ensign, in this case I want you helping some of my people defend the subterranean shelter, a handful of you can hold the entrance for some time against a determined foe.”

Johnson sighed heavily and looked back at her.

“Well, we’re some hours away from major reinforcements, and although there is a chance that a naval frigate will turn up on a routine patrol they’re not exactly going to help us on the ground, although they’ll be able to take out that ship,” Johnson commented thoughtfully. “So I’ll not say no if you want to go ahead and get me in touch with the Jade Empire, I’m not exactly in a position where I can turn down assistance, regardless of where it is coming from, even if we’ll have plenty of support coming soon enough.”

Johnson glanced up as another Deputy entered the room with a report from the Hamilton Ranch based on the last communication from the defenders before contact had been lost. From what they had been able to report there was at least some good news; that Vitozen weapons were sufficient to kill these bastards, but the untrained and unorganised civilians were never going to be able to stope these people. The survivors of the ranch were fleeing into the hills, whilst a least some were trying to make a break for New Austin in a vehicle.

“Well, at least we know our weapons can put these fuckers down,” Johnson commented, almost to himself. “And at least with the civilians in the shelter, I don’t have to worry about friendly fire and it’ll be impossible for them to disguise themselves if all we have are my deputies and the militia on the streets.”

Great Ingen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Ingen » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:08 am

The Hamilton Ranch

Given the unhinged nature of the adherents of the Merger, it could be expected that the Hamilton Ranch would be turned into some hideous altar of depravity. Dark portents and unholy iconography, foul desecration and a silent threat, testament to the inhumanity of the beings that had committed such evil acts.

Hamilton Ranch, however, had suffered no such profanities. Instead, a lonely plume of smoke roiled high into the clear skies, marking the sad and ruined remains of what had once been a happy home. The cultists were already gone, heading further into the colony, leaving behind the wreckage of once-vibrant lives. They had stopped at the ranch only long enough to take the things they needed before departing.

Ensign Helena Rostock

Helena nodded. "I can do that. It'll be just like repelling boarders." she said brightly, her optimism a mask for fact the gravity of the situation was weighing all too heavily on her.

Clanking feet betrayed the return of the Captain, once again in his full battle finery. He spoke brusquely, his voice sonorous behind the impassive visor. Rostock cocked her head to listen and then translated.

"The captain is offering to draw out the enemy. They are here for us, and so he believes that if he emplaces in an obvious, easily-attacked position, they will be unable to resist."

Minowara himself was complacent. Given the numbers of the enemy, compared to the number of deputies and militia he had seen cobbled together, he did not expect the Merger to win here. His concern was rather the casualties the locals could incur in the process of achieving victory, especially faced with the bestial cunning typical of Merger cultists. Anything he could do to help the defenders of New Austin tip the scales and avoid loss of life, he would do. He had seen that deputies had already begun the process of herding the civilian population to shelter, and that was a good start, but in his opinion even the militia and deputies were civilians, although to be fair in his opinion even Ensign Rostock and Mariner Wu barely qualified as soldiers.

United Systems of Vitoze
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Systems of Vitoze » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:07 pm

Marshal Johnson smiled slightly at the Ensign’s optimism, knowing that it was almost certainly a mask for the nervousness she had to be feeling, knowing that they were likely to find themselves in combat soon. But if that was what got her through this situation then what was fine by Johnson; the less he had to worry about anyone else the better; at the end of the day he was the ranking (indeed, only) federal officer present on New Austin, which meant that the safety of the colony and its population was his concern, and his concern alone. The visitors might feel responsible for the attack had come here, but at the end of the day it did not really matter who was at fault at this point and all that mattered now was getting as many people through this as possible. Once upon a time he had been a soldier, in the United Systems Army, serving in the infantry, before becoming a lawman, and he knew that different people used different things to get through the trauma and stress of combat, and if putting on a brave face was the way the Ensign got through it, then that was good enough for him.

Johnson glanced over as the Marine Officer returned to the Marshal’s Office, listening carefully to the request, frowning thoughtfully.

“The longer it takes for the enemy to attack New Austin, the less amount of time we have to wait for the Navy and their Marines to turn up, so I do want to proactively invite an assault against the colony, so we won’t do anything that might encourage them to act sooner,” Johnson replied after a few moments. “However, if the Captain wants to position himself somewhere that, when the attack comes, the enemy won’t be able to resist attacking, I’m not going to stop him, as we can probably set up the militia in a flanking positions and catch the enemy in a kill zone.”

Johnson stroked his beard thoughtfully.

“We know from the fire fight at the Hamilton Ranch that our weapons can take these bastards down, so if we can concentrate fire, so much the better.”

Great Ingen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Ingen » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:45 am

The defenders of New Austin

Minowara nodded as Johnson's remarks were translated to him. He gave a shallow bow and then stalked outside, reconnoitering the one main street. He struck an odd figure, pacing the dusty road alone in his pseudo-medieval armour, the sun glinting off his sode shoulder armour.

Inside, Rostock glanced at her PID again. Fleet Command had dispatched just two flights of snubfighters to assist them, six one-man fightercraft against the enemy corvette. Probably enough to handle it so long as there were no cock-ups, but of precisely no utility to the people on the ground, especially since they were still hours out, probably far too late to make any difference. She checked the action on her pistol and then sighed. "One day we'll be done with these bastards. One day."

The outskirts of New Austin, some time later

Bailiff Mashchit stared at the town in the distance. Either side of him, a dozen cultists slunk towards the colony hub. They had been watching the locals, and it seemed that the only people left out in the open were armed, some kind of militia force. They had already lost one member of the Merger strike team and, whilst he would enjoy unleashing his fighters on these locals, he knew they had to focus on their targets.

They halted and the Bailiff deployed a miniature drone, which whirred away into the clear skies. Panning it across the small town, he spotted a single Jade Marine at an intersection. A street ran off at a 45° angle from the main street, and he was settled at the junction, commanding a field of fire down both roads. After a moment, the Bailiff saw the tiny figure turn and look up at him. A series of green flashes flickered across the feed before it cut out. Glancing up from the feed, he spotted the smoke cloud and falling debris that was all that remained of his drone.

So, they had their target...

Birina
Attaché

Founded: Oct 18, 2019
Libertarian Police State

Postby Birina » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:18 pm

Her name was Sonia. Her voice was harsh and shrill as she berated the vaguely democratically elected members of the Windmill Committee present at the officially unofficial windmill dinner. Perhaps if her tone had been less knifey and aggressive or her audience had been less intoxicated her words would have had more traction. But of all her withering invectives, what cut through the Committee's drunken amusement was her claim. A bold claim.

"I have reports from a fledgling nation in The Fringe that not only have they invented windmills in the past, but windmills aren't even that useful anymore."

"I'm shocked to hear you talk about windmills that way, Sonia. Do you hate windmills and Birina?" Jaxon asked while his liver busily tried to filter out large quantities of expensive wine and return healthy blood to his brain.

"I-what?"

"Birina is, you know, we're all about discovering windmills. That's the goal. For over a thousand years now. And has that led us astray? Do you not believe in Birina?"

"Of course I believe in Birina... But the fact remains that the entire point of your committee, historically, was to find and implement windmills. Not..." she gestured around her, "Take over the entire planet. And here I have proof that windmills may have already been discovered. I can make this public."

Christon, seated opposite Jaxon, leaned over to Herbor Hofstradtman. As their Minister of Windmill Sciences, this task fell to him.

"Herbor, bud, you gotta get us out of this."

The decrepit minister wrinkled his face. "Guys, I have, and I want to be completely clear about this, nothing right now. I am drunk off my ass and am in no way or form prepared to take her on right now."

"That's the spirit. You got this, Herb." Jaxon cheered him on, in his most Chairman-like voice.

Herbor eased himself up from his chair with the assistance of his hydraulic cane which also functioned as a repository for the various coagulants, gene therapies, and laxatives that kept him alive. He suppressed a particularly foul smelling belch and spread his hands for balance, but he made it look like he was doing it for dramatic effect.

"Whales." He began.

"Whales?" Sonia asked, her voice still very shrill.

"Let me finish. Whales... are... Uhm. Whales are Portobello mushrooms."

"No. They're not. And also this is about windmills." Sonia reinforced, waving her so-called "evidence".

"We're doomed." Christon whispered to Jaxon.

"Okay, we'll get to windmills." Herbor continued, gaining his stride as he tried to convince the witnesses in the restaurant he was not completely insane. Which in and of itself was a modern medical controversy in Birina. "You would agree that windmills, in all likelihood, may serve a similar function to watermills. Or puppy mills."

"Well... maybe. I-... Your committee won't really allow anyone to research that-"

"Right, so we agree that two different things can have the same essence. Which is what is important, here. Discovering the essence of windmills. So, if we discover the essence of windmills and show it's not whatever is in this place you speak of, because how could it possibly be if we discovered it here, that will prove it's not a windmill in all the ways that matter. Now, back to whales and portobello mushrooms. They're the same species. Genetically."

"Genetically?"

"Yes. The Portobello Mushroom trait is a recessive gene. Sort of like redheads. Therefore if a whale and a portobello mushroom were to mate, the offspring would all be whales. Not portobello mushrooms."

"But... Whales can't mate with portobello mushrooms?"

"And I can't blame them." Herbor staggered and rested on his chair. "I don't like redheads either."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"They share an essence so if you expect us to go to the "Fringe" to find this alleged windmill, then you also have to get a whale to mate with a portobello mushroom to prove they're not the same."

"Portobello mushrooms and whales do not share essence! Any more than we share essence with whales!"

"Well." Herbor continued, "To prove that, I guess you have to mate with a whale."

"Why don't you prove you can't mate with a whale?" Sonia countered.

Jaxon piped up. "Sonia, if we could mate with female whales instead of female humans, don't you think we'd be doing that? Think of all the advantages of whales. A female whale wouldn't complain if I go out with my friends. Because she can't speak."

"Yeah." Christon added, "And she wouldn't make me buy her jewelry. Because again she can't speak."

Sonia sighed. "It sounds like what you want is a fish with breasts that you can leave in the water whenever you're done fucking her."

Christon, Jaxon, and Herbor all exchanged glances and eyerolls. Christon scoffed. "Uhhhh, Sonia, whales are mammals."

"In conclusion, Sonia cannot claim to be an expert on windmills because she obviously knows nothing about whales. Q.E.D." Herbor finished and bowed. The restaurant patrons applauded him.
This nation is "satirical" which means I'm a Sagittarius.

This is the best thing I've written:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=476249

Zipangese Star Empire
Attaché

Founded: Oct 21, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zipangese Star Empire » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:14 pm

Vassal Retainer Yui Takamura of the Zipangese Imperial Royal Guard
The IZRG Fusou

"I must offer my congratulations once again, Vassal Retainer, though he looks like a wet dream poster boy for the third reich of our dimension, he is quite a looker." Fudai Shimako said with a smile as she looked over a picture of the Vassal Retainer's husband, Yui took the locket from Shimako and sighed. "It's been almost one hundred years since then and you're still going to swoon over my husband?" Yui asked with an eyebrow raised as she returned the locket to her pocket, standing alongside a control bridge, the point on the bridge Yui and Shimako stood on, gave them a good view of the view screen and the crew below, in the crew pits of the ship. "Dear, me. I'm sorry, I figured I'd remind you how lucky you are to have found someone like him." Shimako said with a chuckle.

Yui found it less than humourous, more so since this must've been maybe the thousandth time they had this discussion. "Regardless, we've a job to do as ordained by the Shogun. The last remnants of the reich are out there still, though we destroyed their homeworld and scattered them to the stars, we musn't let out guard down, especially with reported activity here in this dimension." Yui reminded Shimako. "Of course, of course. Shouldn't you get some sleep then? Dream about being back in your man's arms?~" Shimako suggested teasingly. "Silence." Was all Yui could think to say as she quite well hid the embarrassment that was being brought upon her. "Once again, you may be a dear friend of mine since the days of the royal guard's academy and we may have been in the same TSF squadron, however you shan't pry into my private life, and I shan't pry into yours. That was agreed upon long ago." Yui said, somewhat annoyed.

"Of course, Vassal Retainer... Just trying to lighten the mood. So far away from home and we're stuck hunting remnants of a power we once feared..." Shimako said with a sigh. "Mhmm... I missed most of the fighting, being stuck on that version of earth, watching over that lunatic's little sister, then.... Meeting him..." Yui said and shook her head, it wasn't a lie, she did long for the place she made into her home and to just simply be the housewife she would have to take on the role of, after the war. However fate had other plans. Hunting down the last remnants of the Reich and executing them, to make their existance all but a footnote in history. That was her purpose now, the purpose of the Imperial Royal Guard of the Zipangese Star Empire which in truth was larger than it sounded, bases, and colonies stretching not just across their galaxy but multiple others, then across multiple dimensions where history had taken various different turns, now they were in another dimension, still hunting the remnants of the Reich.

"Vassal Retainer! We're coming up on a star system with signs of civilised life, but it seems there's some trouble." One of the leading navigators in the crew pit below said. The ZSE never made a habbit of interacting with lesser advanced species, even if they were human or humanoid, and in a dimension that they had yet to fully scount out for colonisation of, they had next to no idea what to expect. "Take us into the star system, cloaked. Let's see what we're dealing with here." Yui ordered and of course her orders were carried out with hesitation, this was a ship of the Imperial Royal Guard, not of the regular navy, orders were obeyed without question. As was tradition. The ship was cloaked and brought into the system where it would merely observe until the Vassal Retainer would deem necessary to intervene if there was an absolute need to.
FT version of The Empire of Japanese Pacific States (Now with genetic therapy, more Muv-luv tech, some slight Half-life Combine tech, Superweapons and some slight Star Wars, Halo tech influence and a Helghast-ish military).
ZSE National News:Kouzuki industries unveils new line of 00 Units, made to be as close to human as is possible.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents