NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] House of Lords

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] House of Lords

Postby Altmer Dominion » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:31 pm

A return to Nobility Issues. Validity is a tad specialized, but it's an important intersection.

[title] House of Lords

[validity] democracy with legislature, instituted titles of nobility

[description] Although elected to the @@DEMONYM@@ legislature as commoners, a fair number of politicians have successfully petitioned for titles of nobility. As the peerage continues to take hold among lawmakers, some citizens are beginning to grow cynical.

[option] "How out of touch can they be?" gripes @@RANDOMNAME@@, a farmer from rural @@NAME@@. "I cast my ballot last election for a plainspoken, common-sense representative--why then, tell me, am I now being represented by a Marquis? @@HE@@ needs to spend less time decorating @@HIS@@ new estate and get back to re-connecting with @@HIS@@ community. How about you do all of these legislators a favor and ban any 'noble' @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ from having the gall to represent the general public."
[effect] noble behavior is political suicide

[option] "Well, that would be just out of order", notes @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME@@ Bercow, a senior member of the legislature trusted with maintaining parliamentary business. "Arbitrarily replacing duly-elected legislators in the middle of their term would be a democratic nightmare. Don't get me wrong, the situation's not good here, but we need to think of a more orderly approach. To keep them in legislature, just shuffle the peers in my chamber to the Upper House and promote the rest of the lot there to compensate for such trouble. These peers--and their holier-than-thou insubordination--can be my Upper colleagues' problem now."
[effect] peerage applications are @@NAME@@'s most elaborate HR complaint box
[validity] Upper House present

[option] "Well, that would be just out of order", notes @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME@@ Bercow, a senior member of the legislature trusted with maintaining parliamentary business. "Arbitrarily replacing duly-elected legislators in the middle of their term would be a democratic nightmare. Don't get me wrong, the situation's not good here, but we need to think of a more orderly approach. To keep them in legislature, just establish a second parlimentary chamber and shuffle our 'Noble' compatriots there. These peers--and their holier-than-thou insubordination--can now be the problem of whichever @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ is nominated to keep them in line."
[effect] peerage applications are @@NAME@@'s most elaborate HR complaint box
[validity] Upper House abolished

[option] "What an imbalanced system," scoffs Duchess @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, snuffing out an expensive cigar on a seat reserved for the Opposition. "Surely you do not expect my judgement to stand in equal validity compared to some of our more...unrecognized colleagues. Given that the State has clearly differentiated our worth, those of us in the peerage should be the only ones tasked with legislative responsibility. Restricting electoral participation to only the Nobility will nicely clear out the riff-raff from our hallowed halls. If they wish to be let back in, I might suggest they try and make something of their lives for once."
[effect] parliamentarian introductions can take all afternoon

[option] "You're playing with fire here, @@LEADER@@," warns monarchist @@RANDOMNAME@@, quickly flipping through a compendium of ancient documents. "Give the nobility a taste of federal decision making, and the next thing you know they'll legally force their way into running the whole operation. You've got to let Nobles know their place and abolish the Legislature. While they can tend to their estates with the relevant legal power vested to them, everyone will get the message that decisions of the State are your sole domain, @@LEADER@@."
[effect] resentment is the only absolute power Nobles cling to
Last edited by Altmer Dominion on Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:11 am

This quite long. That aside, ha? Are they elected as options 2/3 suggest or are they appointed as option 1 suggests?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:15 am

Australian rePublic wrote:This quite long. That aside, ha? Are they elected as options 2/3 suggest or are they appointed as option 1 suggests?

Eh, I know the UK House of Lords isn't democratic in any sense of the word, but the way the narrative shaped up erred towards a restrictive voting system.
Issues Authored

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:04 am

I agree with Aussie, the issue is long for my tastes. The opening is fine, but I think personally you either need one fewer option, or 25% shorter options.

Great premise and option choices though, just needs to be more concise, in my opinion.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:39 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I agree with Aussie, the issue is long for my tastes. The opening is fine, but I think personally you either need one fewer option, or 25% shorter options.

Great premise and option choices though, just needs to be more concise, in my opinion.

Seems like the right # of options given the available scenarios, since the reader will only be seeing 4. I'll see if the paragraphs themselves can be tightened up.
Issues Authored

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:37 am

Altmer Dominion wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I agree with Aussie, the issue is long for my tastes. The opening is fine, but I think personally you either need one fewer option, or 25% shorter options.

Seems like the right # of options given the available scenarios, since the reader will only be seeing 4. I'll see if the paragraphs themselves can be tightened up.

Right, aware that one is a doppelganger, hence the suggestion of 1 option less or 25% shorter on the options. Same outcome on the length, see? :)

This is largely a stylistic preference of course, and I'm aware that many editors and authors tend to longer presentations than I do.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:11 pm

I've tried playing around with this, but having trouble with an effective truncation here.
Issues Authored

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?