NATION

PASSWORD

What can be done to improve American public education?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The of Korea
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The of Korea » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:35 am

Teaching by rote (which has increased since the no child left behind act) is harming our education. https://fairtest.org/how-standardized-t ... cation-pdf

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:06 pm

Saiwania wrote:
New haven america wrote:3. Says someone who's never tried to get a degree.

I did get an Associates degree with Cum Laude honors. It wasn't worth a damn in terms of profit. It only ever cost me money and time that I can't get back. The entire process was very inefficient and dragged out. I often couldn't get required courses during certain semesters because of a relative lack of demand for those classes. There should definitely be far quicker and cheaper ways to be trained up enough for a more decent job that is more in sync with where the economy is at for a given year.

An Associate's with nothing else isn't very useful, imagine my shock.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:23 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Saiwania wrote:
I did get an Associates degree with Cum Laude honors. It wasn't worth a damn in terms of profit. It only ever cost me money and time that I can't get back. The entire process was very inefficient and dragged out. I often couldn't get required courses during certain semesters because of a relative lack of demand for those classes. There should definitely be far quicker and cheaper ways to be trained up enough for a more decent job that is more in sync with where the economy is at for a given year.

An Associate's with nothing else isn't very useful, imagine my shock.

If you are an automotive tech, or learned a trade in the CC it is useful.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

South Central South-Park
Attaché

Founded: Sep 19, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Central South-Park » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:25 pm

100% of americans education problems can be fixed by simply addressing 13% of the pupils.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:36 pm

Cekoviu wrote:An Associate's with nothing else isn't very useful, imagine my shock.

If an Associates degree didn't benefit me any, then I can't justify wanting to get a Bachelors degree or higher. This is how that works. It is far too expensive in relation to what it pays out in market value and takes far too long to get. I insist that the college path in most cases, is obsolete bullshit that had value in the 1960s or before when people typically didn't go to college but now that everyone does and the entire world is your competition, it doesn't have as much value anymore.

This is notwithstanding certain exceptions of course. If you get a medical, legal, or financial degree- that is where the big money is (even if that isn't what you want to be doing). Most if not all of the people who went for such degrees are very easily employed and are pulling in tons of money. The demand for medical professionals and financial or legal help is that great in the US, and probably most other developed countries.

It is pointless from the standpoint of most people, to pursue an education that costs you more than what you can get from it, if college is becoming expensive enough as to be unaffordable for the average person.

Student loan debt is such a problem in the US because too many younger people were suckered into pursuing education that just plain doesn't work or is lousy in terms of preparing them for the harsh realities of the real world and what the economy actually wants. They obviously expected to be earning better money as a result of their education, and when that failed to materialize- they got saddled with a bunch of bad debt that will take forever for them to pay off, that they can't declare bankruptcy on. That will impede their ability to afford real estate, start families, and so on that Baby Boomers usually got to enjoy as they aged and went through their careers.

My hope is that cheaper and more efficient online education, will come to replace colleges/universities to a huge extent, if not lessen the need for traditional degrees. I've noticed that there are many knowledgable Youtube personalities that can tell you far more about something more effectively and in shorter time, than a tenured college professor in most cases. Whom are more interested in doing "research" than in teaching classes.
Last edited by Saiwania on Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:43 pm

South Central South-Park wrote:100% of americans education problems can be fixed by simply addressing 13% of the pupils.

duh
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:28 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:An Associate's with nothing else isn't very useful, imagine my shock.

If an Associates degree didn't benefit me any, then I can't justify wanting to get a Bachelors degree or higher. This is how that works.

And if taking a high-school introductory Japanese class didn't allow you to communicate with Japanese people, you wouldn't try taking more Japanese classes to advance your skill set?
It is far too expensive in relation to what it pays out in market value and takes far too long to get. I insist that the college path in most cases, is obsolete bullshit that had value in the 1960s or before when people typically didn't go to college but now that everyone does and the entire world is your competition, it doesn't have as much value anymore.

This is notwithstanding certain exceptions of course. If you get a medical, legal, or financial degree- that is where the big money is (even if that isn't what you want to be doing). Most if not all of the people who went for such degrees are very easily employed and are pulling in tons of money. The demand for medical professionals and financial or legal help is that great in the US, and probably most other developed countries.

Basically, what you're suggesting is that we purge knowledge until it's desired again (except for knowledge that's currently desired). What a fucking garbage idea. Glad to see everything's the same with your opinions.
It is pointless from the standpoint of most people, to pursue an education that costs you more than what you can get from it, if college is becoming expensive enough as to be unaffordable for the average person.

Sure. And college isn't necessarily the best choice for everybody, and some majors may not be great choices. So what?
Student loan debt is such a problem in the US because too many younger people were suckered into pursuing education that just plain doesn't work or is lousy in terms of preparing them for the harsh realities of the real world and what the economy actually wants. They obviously expected to be earning better money as a result of their education, and when that failed to materialize- they got saddled with a bunch of bad debt that will take forever for them to pay off, that they can't declare bankruptcy on. That will impede their ability to afford real estate, start families, and so on that Baby Boomers usually got to enjoy as they aged and went through their careers.

And you're not aware that this happens regardless of profession? I've talked to countless people (from working in university outreach) who are in the supposedly lucrative careers that you advocate for above that had massive amounts of student loan debt. It's not like the "lack of competition" improves this.
My hope is that cheaper and more efficient online education, will come to replace colleges/universities to a huge extent, if not lessen the need for traditional degrees. I've noticed that there are many knowledgable Youtube personalities that can tell you far more about something more effectively and in shorter time, than a tenured college professor in most cases. Whom are more interested in doing "research" than in teaching classes.

Hm. Just today, I had a very valuable conversation with my PI (who, incidentally, is a college professor), who gave me advice that definitely doesn't exist on YouTube. You don't really know what you're missing by just using the Internet to learn until you go to real upper-level college classes or do research yourself.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General