NATION

PASSWORD

Harry Potter Books Banned For "Real Spells And Curses"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:24 pm

Auristania wrote:
Vetalia wrote:
On what grounds do you consider minimizing suffering in the world a good thing?

I already know that #1 Pain is bad when it happens to me. This is a self evident truth. OK, you win, when I expand from that self evident truth to my assertion that #2 when Pain happens to other people, it is also a bad thing
You are correct. #1 does NOT prove #2. this proves that
#3 When Pain happens to you, it is a good thing.

Well, actually...the idea of suffering being a good thing as either a test from God, a natural occurrence giving opportunity to grow in faith or a means to expiate one's sins is widespread among many religions.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:26 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Is that why so many atheists don't do horrible messed up crimes against humanity?
Yes, they are delightful chaps. Stalin and Mao, clearly pure human beings. Also please source your claim aethiests are somehow are pure of crimes against humanity.[/quote]

Not to mention all of the "faithful" who merely used their religion to advance their personal and political agendas against others without believing a word of it.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:44 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
Is that why so many atheists don't do horrible messed up crimes against humanity?
Yes, they are delightful chaps. Stalin and Mao, clearly pure human beings. Also please source your claim aethiests are somehow are pure of crimes against humanity.
Clearly if I as someone who doesn't believe in God can live a normal non aggressive life, God is not needed for morality.

No hes not, but one might question the ego of man who has set his beliefs before the creator. Its like you made this house and your dick of a roomate wont adhere to your rules even though your the ruler.

Without a moral code, we all are in danger from each other

Nay, believing to much in morals and ethics cause trouble. The animal liberation front and ISIS are clear examples of believing to much in a cause.

#1 I never said atheists don't do bad things. Clearly everyone from every group is capable of some evil shit. Point is you don't see me killing puppies or lighting daycare centers on fire despite the fact I don't believe in the moral cornerstone known as god (whose morals by the way are like that of a sociopath)

#2 prove God made the house. you can't

#3 they do not minimize suffering. The ALF are fanatics that disrupt farms and ruin people's livelihoods and ISIS actively genocides people.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:51 pm

Vetalia wrote:True, but I was more criticizing Fr. Reehill's over-simplification of the issue; he would be more effective at warning against the dangers of the occult if he were more specific as to how and why these works are dangerous spiritually rather than painting in broad strokes. There isn't a single spell or curse in the HP novels that can do anything at all (or for that matter, nor can any other spell or curse by itself) but when a susceptible person reads these kinds of works it opens them to influence from preternatural sources. Similar to playing with an Ouija board or conducting a seance.

Well that makes a lot more sense than what Ghost said earlier. I do retain my point however that Harry Potter is way too mundane to have any noteworthy effect in that regard.

Usually persons actually suspectible to, lets say, influence from preternatural sources (as you have put it, i wouldn do so but for arguments sake...) are so by natural, intuitive talent.
Last edited by Nakena on Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:06 pm

Nakena wrote:
Vetalia wrote:True, but I was more criticizing Fr. Reehill's over-simplification of the issue; he would be more effective at warning against the dangers of the occult if he were more specific as to how and why these works are dangerous spiritually rather than painting in broad strokes. There isn't a single spell or curse in the HP novels that can do anything at all (or for that matter, nor can any other spell or curse by itself) but when a susceptible person reads these kinds of works it opens them to influence from preternatural sources. Similar to playing with an Ouija board or conducting a seance.

Well that makes a lot more sense than what Ghost said earlier. I do retain my point however that Harry Potter is way too mundane to have any noteworthy effect in that regard.

Usually persons actually suspectible to, lets say, influence from preternatural sources (as you have put it, i wouldn do so but for arguments sake...) are so by natural, intuitive talent.

I tend to side with your opinion; realistically, most people who read Harry Potter isn't going to get involved in *real* occult practices any more than they would reading any of the literally thousands of works that involve magic in the fantasy literary corpus. These themes have been around for millenia, I mean Merlin is the archetypal magician and he's a key player in one of the most Christian legends of all time.

However, someone in a particularly vulnerable psychological state could read these books and think that the magic involved is real, only to find themselves attracting diabolical interest as they are driven to further investigate the occult. That being said, I am much more worried about the adherents of "The Secret" and the prosperity gospel than I am a kid reading Harry Potter. Those two ideas are far more demonic than anything in Rowling's novels.

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:08 pm

This thread needs a poll.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:29 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote: Yes, they are delightful chaps. Stalin and Mao, clearly pure human beings. Also please source your claim aethiests are somehow are pure of crimes against humanity.

No hes not, but one might question the ego of man who has set his beliefs before the creator. Its like you made this house and your dick of a roomate wont adhere to your rules even though your the ruler.

Nay, believing to much in morals and ethics cause trouble. The animal liberation front and ISIS are clear examples of believing to much in a cause.

#1 I never said atheists don't do bad things. Clearly everyone from every group is capable of some evil shit. Point is you don't see me killing puppies or lighting daycare centers on fire despite the fact I don't believe in the moral cornerstone known as god (whose morals by the way are like that of a sociopath)

These are some wild claims that your throwing without providing sources. I want to know how exactly you came to these beliefs such as aethiest dont start fires.

The matter was if man should listen to god's morality. It doesnt matter whehter his existence is proven or not in that regard. The matter was should man listen to god before his own morality. In which I replied aptly

#3 they do not minimize suffering. The ALF are fanatics that disrupt farms and ruin people's livelihoods and ISIS actively genocides people.

Morality comes in many different forms. You speak only of utilitarianism, which is one of many forms of ethics.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:36 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Nakena wrote:

I tend to side with your opinion; realistically, most people who read Harry Potter isn't going to get involved in *real* occult practices any more than they would reading any of the literally thousands of works that involve magic in the fantasy literary corpus. These themes have been around for millenia, I mean Merlin is the archetypal magician and he's a key player in one of the most Christian legends of all time.

However, someone in a particularly vulnerable psychological state could read these books and think that the magic involved is real, only to find themselves attracting diabolical interest as they are driven to further investigate the occult. That being said, I am much more worried about the adherents of "The Secret" and the prosperity gospel than I am a kid reading Harry Potter. Those two ideas are far more demonic than anything in Rowling's novels.

I also agree with you here. Theres an awful lot of people who are either in vulnerable psychological states or are, as I like to put it, otherwise unhinged fellows who feel - unfortunatly - attracted by new-age and occult claptrap and the often associated fraudulent and sometimes dangerous schemes that operate in those areas. (Of which "The Secret" definetively is one)

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:43 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

These are some wild claims that your throwing without providing sources. I want to know how exactly you came to these beliefs such as aethiest dont start fires.

The matter was if man should listen to god's morality. It doesnt matter whehter his existence is proven or not in that regard. The matter was should man listen to god before his own morality. In which I replied aptly

Morality comes in many different forms. You speak only of utilitarianism, which is one of many forms of ethics.

First off, saying everyone is capable of doing terrible stuff isn't wild. It's just a fact of life. My point stands that a person doesn't need a god to be moral. As for the second point, I trust my own morality more than that of a being that no one has ever seen who tells people to literally kill and torture other people. The bible and Quran are full of verses justifying religious conflict. I meanwhile believe that all people are entitled to an opinion and shouldn't be victimized for what they think

As for the third point, clearly if morality is fluid in your opinion, god's morality can't be "right" because no morality is the " right morality"
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:52 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:These are some wild claims that your throwing without providing sources. I want to know how exactly you came to these beliefs such as aethiest dont start fires.

First off, saying everyone is capable of doing terrible stuff isn't wild. It's just a fact of life. My point stands that a person doesn't need a god to be moral. As for the second point, I trust my own morality more than that of a being that no one has ever seen who tells people to literally kill and torture other people. The bible and Quran are full of verses justifying religious conflict. I meanwhile believe that all people are entitled to an opinion and shouldn't be victimized for what they think

The matter of religious doctrine is maintained by the churches/sects. They interpret their material and preach. Many do not promote religious war as the ones of old. For a comparison for aetheism, I would point out communism a ideology so rooted in ideology that it caused many people to suffer in the name of the state. It is that deep rooted idealism and a strong sense of morality that causes problems for mankind.

As for the third point, clearly if morality is fluid in your opinion, god's morality can't be "right" because no morality is the " right morality"

Indeed your morality and gods moraliry are different. Same as your common man. Morality is simply what a person uses to distinguish right from wrong, everyone has different takes on moralities.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:57 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

The matter of religious doctrine is maintained by the churches/sects. They interpret their material and preach. Many do not promote religious war as the ones of old. For a comparison for aetheism, I would point out communism a ideology so rooted in ideology that it caused many people to suffer in the name of the state. It is that deep rooted idealism and a strong sense of morality that causes problems for mankind.

Indeed your morality and gods moraliry are different. Same as your common man. Morality is simply what a person uses to distinguish right from wrong, everyone has different takes on moralities.

Then what even is the point of this religious stuff?

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:12 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:The matter of religious doctrine is maintained by the churches/sects. They interpret their material and preach. Many do not promote religious war as the ones of old. For a comparison for aetheism, I would point out communism a ideology so rooted in ideology that it caused many people to suffer in the name of the state. It is that deep rooted idealism and a strong sense of morality that causes problems for mankind.

Then what even is the point of this religious stuff?

Heres my take:

"Religious" and mystic ideas and inspirations are inherent as our supposed ability as humans to receive, exchange and process (to varying degrees, but usually fragmented) information from places that appears to be somewhere else that in turn appears to be populated by various beings and entities etc. This is done through mystic dreams, trance, visions and substance induced states of mind. (Theres a number of sects who use Peyote or ayahuasca for those purpose etc.)

In traditional societies those matters were usually being delegated to shamans and the likes, that means individuals who have an natural inclinations towards those matters. Sometimes that is still being done.

However most of the biggest religions today are often (unless they're made up! mind you...) in one way or another based onto interpretations that derivated supposedly from said information exchange. They're heavily text and scripture based. Accordingly most followers nowadays don't make their own experiences and relay upon textual interpretations and transmission made by people who claimed that they had. Or knew people who had. Which of course makes the whole matter already more blurry than it already is.

Oh and of course, as we have learned in the recent years in Information Age, theres always the possibility that info is just not useful at all. Theres no guarantee that the information itself was ok, it may have been misleading, malicious or just random nonsense in itself.

That of course opens yet another whole can of worms. Who can decide what interaction "legit" or just nonsense? We lack (yet...) the techniques to dertermine so. The problem is by no means new and even 17th century philosopher Thomas Hobbes was already aware of it.
Last edited by Nakena on Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:13 pm

Pacomia wrote:This thread needs a poll.

-This is dumb
-Indeed this is dumb

Pick up to two
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:16 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Pacomia wrote:This thread needs a poll.

-This is dumb
-Indeed this is dumb

Pick up to two

Agree.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Ghost in the Shell
Envoy

Founded: May 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ghost in the Shell » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:51 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Ghost in the Shell wrote:The first Pope knew that being personally so I would disagree.

I'm supposed to just believe that this random man could talk to a god?

Countless numbers of people have attested to it. The four gospels are accounts of his life and their historical reliability is greater than you'd think. In fact, they're the most detailed accounts of anything in that part and time of the world that we have.

Rojava Free State wrote:How self important are people to think that a God would want to talk to any of us?

How self important are you to think that God wouldn't want to talk to any of us?
❃❃❃"We live in an age in which there is no heroic death." - Mishima Yukio | 七生報国❃❃❃
❃❃❃ "Absolute truth must be unchangeable!" - Pope St. Pius X ❃❃❃
❃❃❃ "He will not taste death forever who, in his dying moments, has recourse to the Blessed Virgin Mary." - Pope Pius XI ❃❃❃
✠ Traditional Roman Catholic | Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus ✠
My Views | Integralism | Archbishop Lefebvre Respecter

God Save The Queen

Ayytaly
Minister

Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayytaly » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:00 am

All I got from Harry Potter is that Ireland is at least competitive in Quidditch.
Signatures are the obnoxious car bumper stickers of the internet. Also, Rojava did nothing right.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:01 am

This is incredibly backward. What next, banning the cookbooks because they've got recipes on haram dishes?
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:03 am

Ayytaly wrote:All I got from Harry Potter is that Ireland is at least competitive in Quidditch.

All that hurling.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:41 am

Ayytaly wrote:All I got from Harry Potter is that Ireland is at least competitive in Quidditch.

Don't forget that all wizards around the globe support the scottish rugby team.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Ghost in the Shell
Envoy

Founded: May 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ghost in the Shell » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:41 am

The South Falls wrote:This is incredibly backward. What next, banning the cookbooks because they've got recipes on haram dishes?

If you meant halal, then yes hopefully.
❃❃❃"We live in an age in which there is no heroic death." - Mishima Yukio | 七生報国❃❃❃
❃❃❃ "Absolute truth must be unchangeable!" - Pope St. Pius X ❃❃❃
❃❃❃ "He will not taste death forever who, in his dying moments, has recourse to the Blessed Virgin Mary." - Pope Pius XI ❃❃❃
✠ Traditional Roman Catholic | Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus ✠
My Views | Integralism | Archbishop Lefebvre Respecter

God Save The Queen

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:51 am

The South Falls wrote:This is incredibly backward. What next, banning the cookbooks because they've got recipes on haram dishes?

I actually assume that that is a normal thing to do in Islamic countries, yes. No cooking with bacon for you.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:31 am

This is a consipracy from the Magical Congress to keep no-mags' from finding out the truth.
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:35 pm

Gormwood wrote:

All that hurling.

No. That’s Boston.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:41 pm

It's because when the get the snitch, they drill through it's kneecaps.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General