NATION

PASSWORD

Palestinian police vow crackdown on LGBT events

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Nova Cyberia
Senator
 
Posts: 4456
Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Palestinian police vow crackdown on LGBT events

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:24 pm

Source.
Palestinian police have threatened to arrest anyone involved in an upcoming gathering planned by LGBTQ activists in the northern West Bank town of Nablus.

Palestinian police have banned events organized by the LGBTQ rights organization alQaws because they go against “traditional Palestinian values,” the rights group said in a statement Sunday.

The organization condemned the ban and recent attacks on LGBTQ Palestinians, including the reported stabbing of a 16-year-old outside an LGBTQ youth shelter in Tel Aviv.

“AlQaws condemns the use of prosecution, intimidation and threats of arrest, be it by the police or members of society,” the group wrote on Facebook. “We have always been public and accessible about our work, through maintaining an active website, social media presence and engagement in civil society. However, we have never received threats to this extent before.”

AlQaws for Sexual & Gender Diversity in Palestinian Society emerged as a project in 2001 and formalized in 2007, according to its website. As part of the group’s work, it regularly holds events throughout Palestinian territories and offers support for LGBTQ people through hotlines and partnerships with other civil rights groups.

The statement from the Palestinian police announcing the ban came after alQaws held an event in Nablus, a city in the northern West Bank, in early August. The organization had plans to hold another event there at the end of the month.

Police said Sunday they would "pursue this gathering" and seek charges against anyone involved in it, according to The Associated Press. The Palestinian police are under the Western-backed Palestinian Authority, which governs parts of the Israeli-occupied West Bank.

Word of the gathering had sparked fierce debate on social media, with some Palestinians defending the activists and others condemning them for violating religious and traditional norms.

“We have never received threats to this extent before,” alQaws said in its Facebook statement. However, it acknowledged that the “crackdown against the fight for sexual and gender liberation is not new.”

“Throughout modern history, it has served as a powerful card for oppressive regimes and governments,” the group stated. “Sadly, the PA statement and subsequent public responses are well-honed tactics in the game of political gain and smoke-screening, not limited to the Palestinian Authority or to this particular event.”

Despite the crackdown, however, the alQaws said it will continue to work to combat the “social violence against LGBT Palestinians.”

Neither alQaws nor the Palestinian police immediately responded to NBC News’ request for comment.

Sa’ed Atshan, an assistant professor of peace and conflict studies at Swarthmore College and author of “Queer Palestine and the Empire of Critique,” said the Palestinian police's statement about alQaws is an attempt to “score morality points.”

By focusing on LGBTQ people, Atshan told NBC News, the Palestinian Authority can distract everyday Palestinians away from "its impotence in the face of the occupation."

Being openly LGBTQ in Palestine, though, isn’t easy regardless, according to Atshan. He said unless you’re from a wealthy or secular family or live in a city, it can be difficult being out.

“While increasing numbers of LGB Palestinians are identifying as such, and slowly trans folks in Palestine are coming out, it is still tremendously difficult to live one’s life authentically, particularly as a trans person,” he explained.

Atshan also noted there seems to be an increase in anti-LGBTQ public expressions in Palestinian territories.

“This is a serious problem in our society,” he said, “and we have not grappled with the long-entrenched and ingrained homophobia in our society in a serious or robust, large-scale manner yet.”

And authorities seem to be leading the charge.

“The Palestinian Authority's police have also been inciting surveillance and violence against LGBTQ Palestinians from their own families, neighbors and co-workers, with a spike now in social media posts calling for assaults against queer people in the West Bank,” Atshan explained.

Homosexuality is taboo in Arab countries, many of which criminalize it. Approximately 70 countries around the world — most in Africa and the Mideast — criminalize homosexuality.

In rather typical Islamic fundamentalist fashion Palestinian police in the West Bank have banned a planned event by LGBT organizers and threatened to arrest anyone involved. Obviously, I believe this is a grotesque abuse of power and demonstrates the continued persecution that these people face in Palestine.

Thoughts?
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45364
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:30 pm

In short: Fuck a whole barrel of that.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 185551
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:31 pm

Truly sad they did that. LGBT people should be allowed to manifest.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Otira
Envoy
 
Posts: 310
Founded: Jun 25, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Otira » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:33 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Truly sad they did that. LGBT people should be allowed to manifest.

One might say it's their destiny.

User avatar
Eternal Lotharia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9846
Founded: Dec 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Eternal Lotharia » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:33 pm

How disgusting.
That said people who use this to hate on Palestine and to essentially call them barbarians, uncivilized, etc. and be racist to them as well as be hostile to Muslims, are just as sickening.
On Hiatus from September 6th 2019 to September 13th 2019.
Left-Wing Christian Pro-Life Pragmatic Populist. Oregonian.
Candidate for City Council of a large city.
A little too obsessed with food.
Farnhamia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:You scare me sometimes, Loth.

"Local Candidate Admits To Enjoying Human Flesh; Police Seeking Missing Family Members"

User avatar
Nova Cyberia
Senator
 
Posts: 4456
Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:34 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:How disgusting.
That said people who use this to hate on Palestine and to essentially call them barbarians, uncivilized, etc. and be racist to them as well as be hostile to Muslims, are just as sickening.

Is anyone actually doing that?
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45364
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:35 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:How disgusting.
That said people who use this to hate on Palestine and to essentially call them barbarians, uncivilized, etc. and be racist to them as well as be hostile to Muslims, are just as sickening.

Is anyone actually doing that?


You, when you described this as a typical behaviour.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic

User avatar
Nova Cyberia
Senator
 
Posts: 4456
Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:35 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:Is anyone actually doing that?


You, when you described this as a typical behaviour.

For Islamic fundamentalists, yes.

Reading comprehension.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

User avatar
Ors Might
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5140
Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:36 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:How disgusting.
That said people who use this to hate on Palestine and to essentially call them barbarians, uncivilized, etc. and be racist to them as well as be hostile to Muslims, are just as sickening.

I’d say Palestine treating LGBT people as subhuman scum is a perfectly good reason to “hate on” Palestine, particularly if you are LGBT.

User avatar
Pacomia
Senator
 
Posts: 4077
Founded: May 23, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Pacomia » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:37 pm

Ors Might wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:How disgusting.
That said people who use this to hate on Palestine and to essentially call them barbarians, uncivilized, etc. and be racist to them as well as be hostile to Muslims, are just as sickening.

I’d say Palestine treating LGBT people as subhuman scum is a perfectly good reason to “hate on” Palestine, particularly if you are LGBT.

Agreed
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: Capitalism, No Internet, No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem
Both the far left and far right are equally insane.
GLORY TO CASCADIA I’m a socialist. it’s different from communism. NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
CURRENT HDI: 0.87123 (similar to Estonia)
Also known as Dollar Store Kowani_________#EternalLotharia2020

User avatar
Eternal Lotharia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9846
Founded: Dec 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Eternal Lotharia » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:38 pm

Ors Might wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:How disgusting.
That said people who use this to hate on Palestine and to essentially call them barbarians, uncivilized, etc. and be racist to them as well as be hostile to Muslims, are just as sickening.

I’d say Palestine treating LGBT people as subhuman scum is a perfectly good reason to “hate on” Palestine, particularly if you are LGBT.

No I mean "Palestinians are evil people ebil muslims look how barbaric they are!"

Keep in mind I'm very Pro-Israel. I'm not condoning this action at all. I'm condemning it.
On Hiatus from September 6th 2019 to September 13th 2019.
Left-Wing Christian Pro-Life Pragmatic Populist. Oregonian.
Candidate for City Council of a large city.
A little too obsessed with food.
Farnhamia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:You scare me sometimes, Loth.

"Local Candidate Admits To Enjoying Human Flesh; Police Seeking Missing Family Members"

User avatar
New Hennig
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 62
Founded: Aug 20, 2019
Anarchy

Postby New Hennig » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:39 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:Is anyone actually doing that?


You, when you described this as a typical behaviour.


It is typical for Islamists and other religious fundamentalists to discriminate against LGBT people.
Last edited by New Hennig on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud American. Professional Wrestling fanatic. Cannabis Advocate. Independent Classical Liberal. Agnostic. Filthy casual gamer. Love 1A & 2A. Never Trump. Twitter= @Rick_Hennig
Political compass Economic 4.63 Social -6.0
Any and all TGs are not welcomed. Don’t bother because I won’t even reply.

User avatar
Ors Might
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5140
Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Ors Might wrote:I’d say Palestine treating LGBT people as subhuman scum is a perfectly good reason to “hate on” Palestine, particularly if you are LGBT.

No I mean "Palestinians are evil people ebil muslims look how barbaric they are!"

Keep in mind I'm very Pro-Israel. I'm not condoning this action at all. I'm condemning it.

Palestinians that promote Fundamentalist Islamic dogma that spreads violent hate against innocent people are evil.

They are the ones being discussed in the OP.

User avatar
New Hennig
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 62
Founded: Aug 20, 2019
Anarchy

Postby New Hennig » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:46 pm

Ors Might wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:No I mean "Palestinians are evil people ebil muslims look how barbaric they are!"

Keep in mind I'm very Pro-Israel. I'm not condoning this action at all. I'm condemning it.

Palestinians that promote Fundamentalist Islamic dogma that spreads violent hate against innocent people are evil.

They are the ones being discussed in the OP.


With Bibi talking about annexing the West Bank, we can see secular Palestinian nationalism get smaller and smaller and see a further growth in Islamic fundamentalist ideology.
Last edited by New Hennig on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proud American. Professional Wrestling fanatic. Cannabis Advocate. Independent Classical Liberal. Agnostic. Filthy casual gamer. Love 1A & 2A. Never Trump. Twitter= @Rick_Hennig
Political compass Economic 4.63 Social -6.0
Any and all TGs are not welcomed. Don’t bother because I won’t even reply.

User avatar
GLDF
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 114
Founded: Aug 13, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby GLDF » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:48 pm

Funny how your opinions on LGBT people tend to be based on how you can attack the Muslims/libs/ethnic minorities/ etc. with accusations of homophobia or pedophilia.
"Two pages in... and everybody is pretty much agreeing that "This is fucking stupid!"? Dear gods, NSG agreeing on something?! I SPOTTED A UNICORN!!" - Reploid Productions
"Probably also encourage the development of a weird toilet-attack fetish in the populace." - Neanderthaland

User avatar
Eternal Lotharia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9846
Founded: Dec 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Eternal Lotharia » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:49 pm

Ors Might wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:No I mean "Palestinians are evil people ebil muslims look how barbaric they are!"

Keep in mind I'm very Pro-Israel. I'm not condoning this action at all. I'm condemning it.

Palestinians that promote Fundamentalist Islamic dogma that spreads violent hate against innocent people are evil.

They are the ones being discussed in the OP.

But not the ones I pointed out, as I was preempting that sort of talk with a point of my own.

Ergo, you got outflanked.
On Hiatus from September 6th 2019 to September 13th 2019.
Left-Wing Christian Pro-Life Pragmatic Populist. Oregonian.
Candidate for City Council of a large city.
A little too obsessed with food.
Farnhamia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:You scare me sometimes, Loth.

"Local Candidate Admits To Enjoying Human Flesh; Police Seeking Missing Family Members"

User avatar
Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1763
Founded: Jun 06, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:50 pm

Well, that's a dick move.
Platypus of the non-venomous, egg-laying variety
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I will never stop being a gay platypus.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Ostroeuropa wrote:"Can we just eat SOME of the rich?"

User avatar
Otira
Envoy
 
Posts: 310
Founded: Jun 25, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Otira » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:50 pm

GLDF wrote:Funny how your opinions on LGBT people tend to be based on how you can attack the Muslims/libs/ethnic minorities/ etc. with accusations of homophobia or pedophilia.

Whom are you quoting?

User avatar
Ors Might
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5140
Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:51 pm

GLDF wrote:Funny how your opinions on LGBT people tend to be based on how you can attack the Muslims/libs/ethnic minorities/ etc. with accusations of homophobia or pedophilia.

If the Muslims/libs/ethnic minorities/etc. are actually homophobic, as they are in this case, then whining about how someone is only making that accusation because of their own bigotry is just that.

User avatar
Dresderstan
Minister
 
Posts: 2592
Founded: Jan 18, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dresderstan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:51 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Ors Might wrote:Palestinians that promote Fundamentalist Islamic dogma that spreads violent hate against innocent people are evil.

They are the ones being discussed in the OP.

But not the ones I pointed out, as I was preempting that sort of talk with a point of my own.

Ergo, you got outflanked.

No, that's a weak argument and a strawman. Pay attention.
20 year old, male from Pennsylvania and proud of it. Love sports like baseball and hockey, enjoy video games and TV. Music is love, music is life. Formula 1 is better than NASCAR. I'm gay and conservative.
Do not refer to me as my old nation's name (Freezic Vast) from now on. +3222 Posts
I'm not in the mood for arguing, I'm depressed because of family issues involving my dad, and I don't need any BS to stress and depress me out anymore.

User avatar
Ors Might
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5140
Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:52 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Ors Might wrote:Palestinians that promote Fundamentalist Islamic dogma that spreads violent hate against innocent people are evil.

They are the ones being discussed in the OP.

But not the ones I pointed out, as I was preempting that sort of talk with a point of my own.

Ergo, you got outflanked.

Why were you pointing them out in a thread that has nothing to do with them?

Are there any posts in this thread that declare all Muslims or Palestinians to be homophobic?

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18267
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:55 pm

Tbh if I was an LGBT person in Palestine I'd be getting the fuck out.
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Nova Cyberia
Senator
 
Posts: 4456
Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:56 pm

GLDF wrote:Funny how your opinions on LGBT people tend to be based on how you can attack the Muslims/libs/ethnic minorities/ etc. with accusations of homophobia or pedophilia.

Who?
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

User avatar
Kowani
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15237
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:57 pm

Yeah, fuck that.
Narcissistic (Hedonistic) Nihilist. Yes, I am edgy. I know.
Atheist and still proud of it.
Post-Capitalist, Post-Nationalist.
Rights are functionally just privileges society has deemed important.
Prydania wrote:
As a Canadian? I find Americans and their deep, deep distrust of the government to be fundamentally, critically, laughably flawed. I find some aspects of your country completely absurd. The distrust of anything remotely resembling authority is one. The gun problem that stems from that is another.

Seangoli wrote:You are spouting nonsensical drivel with no coherent thought, little logic, and at the end of it all just angry opining at the clouds based on a truly astonishly low level of knowledge or understanding of the subject matter.

0% Capitalism

User avatar
Eternal Lotharia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9846
Founded: Dec 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Eternal Lotharia » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:58 pm

Ors Might wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:But not the ones I pointed out, as I was preempting that sort of talk with a point of my own.

Ergo, you got outflanked.

Why were you pointing them out in a thread that has nothing to do with them?

Are there any posts in this thread that declare all Muslims or Palestinians to be homophobic?

I wanted to preemptively nip that in the bud before it was brought up.
On Hiatus from September 6th 2019 to September 13th 2019.
Left-Wing Christian Pro-Life Pragmatic Populist. Oregonian.
Candidate for City Council of a large city.
A little too obsessed with food.
Farnhamia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:You scare me sometimes, Loth.

"Local Candidate Admits To Enjoying Human Flesh; Police Seeking Missing Family Members"

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Andoros, Antityranicals, Auzkhia, Cekoviu, Communist Crimean Republic, Dooom35796821595, Dresderstan, Estanglia, Ethel mermania, Fartsniffage, Google [Bot], Gormwood, Kasa Tkoth Sphere, Kohr, Kowani, Lost Memories, Lundenia, Neanderthaland, Philjia, Phoenixiar, Rojava Free State, Serica-, Telconi, Tengoto, The Greater Nordics, The Two Jerseys, Tiplomecja, Trotskylvania, Vassenor

Advertisement

Remove ads