NATION

PASSWORD

[Suggestion] Rankings and trophies for deck value

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Flanderlion
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Flanderlion » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:04 am

The Northern Light wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Huh, I did not know that. So Koem Kab got his collection the hard way, manually answering issues on a multitude of nations?

Seems almost unbelievable.

Yep, see here for admin confirmation.

As a matter of fact, the OP in the thread is one of my own card farming puppets. As soon as cards returned, I rushed to create a farm with an issue-answering API script. Much to my disappointment (I guess delight in retrospect), I realized that it'd have to be done the hard, manual way.

I'm still concerned about people using old auto issue scripts for the card game - as I've caught a few using the ingame one (most just didn't know the change, and sorted it without mod intervention).

As someone who might collect the odd card that isn't my own, but only uses one nation, I'm not convinced on the card value as the sole stat. I remember ignoring total value early on after seeing some players trading cards they own between their own nations for inflated prices, dramatically increasing their deck values. I think there should also be total cards, total legendaries, total commons etc. stats, and if possible stats like most outbids, most buys, most gifts received etc. Similarly to the cards, for challenge games etc. and the other minigames there should be rankings etc. for them too.

Despite not every nation having had participated in the card games/challenge games etc. - I think they should still be options for the daily census, as it gives more visibility for these bits to the rest of the game.
As always, I'm representing myself as a citizen, rather than as part of the Government, if I am at the time.

The Northern Light
Attaché

Founded: Oct 10, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Northern Light » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:22 am

Flanderlion wrote:I'm still concerned about people using old auto issue scripts for the card game - as I've caught a few using the ingame one (most just didn't know the change, and sorted it without mod intervention).

I don't think we can use this as an argument against the proposed change (and, admittedly, I am not sure whether you are doing that, or just stating a side concern). People can use illegal scripts, including scripts that used to be legal, to do a whole lot of activities that would help earn them and their regions trophies: recruit, exchange endorsements, send telegrams, and so on. I don't think anyone would argue in favor of taking away from all nations trophies for endorsements, influence, number of nations, and all issue-related stats, just because some players may be getting them through illegal scripts.

Flanderlion wrote:As someone who might collect the odd card that isn't my own, but only uses one nation, I'm not convinced on the card value as the sole stat. I remember ignoring total value early on after seeing some players trading cards they own between their own nations for inflated prices, dramatically increasing their deck values. I think there should also be total cards, total legendaries, total commons etc. stats, and if possible stats like most outbids, most buys, most gifts received etc.

I'd be all for having more than one card-related censuses (and associated trophies). But I imagine it's a lot more realistic to expect that, should the admins decide to implement this, they will just add one stat, at least to begin with.

I do think that deck value is the best among the options you listed, as it's the best (if imperfect) easily measurable metric we have right now about how much the community at large values someone's card collection.

Flanderlion wrote:Similarly to the cards, for challenge games etc. and the other minigames there should be rankings etc. for them too.

Despite not every nation having had participated in the card games/challenge games etc. - I think they should still be options for the daily census, as it gives more visibility for these bits to the rest of the game.

Again, personally I would be very glad to see rankings and trophies for other minigames. But I would prefer if that was treated as a separate suggestion, so as not to derail this thread.

It's worth emphasizing though that, since they were first introduced on April Fool's 2018, cards have evolved, from yet another novelty minigrame, to a bona fide part of the main game. Unlike other minigames, they have their own (extensive) entry in the FAQ, their own forum, continued admin support, continued renewal (in the form of the upcoming seasons), and even Security Council resolutions written about them. Several regions have also begun using them for other purposes such as recruitment and WA promotion (TNP is no longer the only example of this).

Given all the above, I do think that a much stronger case can be made for adding rankings and trophies for cards, than for other minigames.

The Northern Light
Attaché

Founded: Oct 10, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Northern Light » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:57 am

I'd like to bump this proposal, as it seemed to have a lot of support.

Lord Dominator
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:52 pm

On a note, I do know that Z-Day at least has trophies for the few stats related for the duration of the event (plus time afterwards), so it's not unprecedented for the minigames to have trophies attached.

I think this is a good idea anyways :)
Dee Vytherov-Skollvaldr | Forest | TBH Lieutenant and Council Member | WA Vizier | Ambassador to the WA

Previous

Return to Technical