NATION

PASSWORD

Men who dye their hair

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What are your thoughts on men changing the color of their hair?

If you dye, it's a-ok
69%
I not only agree with the practice, I dye my hair as well
6%
It's weird for a man to dye his hair
16%
Criminalize men dying their hair colors
9%

Total votes : 177

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:16 pm

You shouldn't unless you're too old and it'd look better than gray or white hair, and you can pull the look off.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Evacillian
Envoy

Founded: Nov 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Evacillian » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Do you agree or disagree with men changing their hair coloring?
I don't care. It is not my hair.
Although, Depending on your job you may not want to as you can lose it from that decision.

Do you engage in the practice?
No.
I like the way my luscious locks look and feel.

Do you think its time for corporations to market hair color products akin to Revlon to men of all ages?
Private Corporations ultimately have the power to decide that.
If you can prove how that will gain them a large profit, I'm sure they'll go for it.

And does it make sense for a man with dark brown hair to dye his hair black when it's already only a few shades from that anyways?
It's his money. What he does with it is his problem.
Some people will honestly just spend money just for the sake of spending money. Also to some people- DARK BROWN DOESN"T REFLECT MY SOUL!
Political Stats Reflects Evacillian- Does Not Reflect User
POLITICS of Evacillian: Social Liberalism
Politiscale Attributes: WorkOrderLiberty
[b]Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Power Ranking by Destructive Government Economic System: 7/10 - Really powerful nation. They can put up with an invasion by North Korea, possibly overpower them, and maybe even annex their nation. "...technological and magical advantage... a force to be reckoned with..."
Democracy and Freedom Index by Plaetopia: 5.57/10 - Partly Free
Gender Equality Rating by South Shellfort: Equal
Desmos Calculator for NS by N?A: 4.5,-3.5
Neutral Good
http://www.fanfiction.net~scarpool
Fandoms are LIFE

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:35 pm

What the fuck do I care if someone wants to dye their hair?
Insert trite farewell here

Evacillian
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Evacillian » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:46 pm

Scomagia wrote:What the fuck do I care if someone wants to dye their hair?

Well, it all has to do with context. If some random guy I saw on the street had green coloured hair, I wouldn't care. However, if I was an employer interviewing and choosing employees- I may be looking for a certain standard of appearance.

Power Ranking by Destructive Government Economic System: 7/10 - Really powerful nation. They can put up with an invasion by North Korea, possibly overpower them, and maybe even annex their nation. "...technological and magical advantage... a force to be reckoned with..."
Neutral Good
Fandoms are LIFE

Narland
Minister

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Narland » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:05 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:So I wanted to take a break from politics to discuss an issue more close to home and maybe less controversial (idk, this might actually start a fight) by talking about the subject of men who dye their hair. I myself have naturally dark brown hair, and often alternate between my natural hair color and dying my hair midnight black. I first dyed my hair at age 12 when I used hydrogen peroxide to go blonde for a few months, and first dyed my hair black at age 14. My hair is currently dark brown and has been since like January of this year, but in the next few days I'm going back to black once again.

While many men dye their hair not only blonde or black, but many other colors as well, it seems our culture only provides men with hair coloring products in the case of older gentlemen who are trying to hold back the grey. For younger men looking to actually change their hair color and not just add some highlights, we often have to go to the women's hair section and snatch up some Revlon (at least in my area it's that way. I have yet to see any dye products for men beyond the touch of grey shit being sold in any stores). So here's what I wanna know everybody. Do you agree or disagree with men changing their hair coloring? Do you engage in the practice? Do you think it's time for corporations to market hair color products akin to Revlon to men of all ages? And does it make sense for a man with dark brown hair to dye his hair black when it's already only a few shades from that anyways? Let me know your thoughts below

Do you agree or disagree with men changing their hair coloring?
My first response is, sure, why not? My cousin prematurely greyed starting at 19 and died his hair (a russet brown from Revlon) until he was in his 50s. But it depends on the circumstances. I wouldn't hire a professional lawyer who had Joker green hair and cherry red lipstick if my life was on the line from false accusation, but I might buy an album from a musician as such.

Do you engage in the practice?
I did in my 20s as part of the punk scene, but then got wise, got a buzz cut and bought theatre quality wigs. One was dark blue on black spiked Mohawk with black wavy sides, another a silver haired lopsided lob with blue bang combed over into a wave, and a black, blonde and gold short spiky. Once I left a rave I could take off my wig if I needed to go somewhere where suits and ties were required. Now that I am middle-aged and bald, I wish I still had them.

Do you think it's time for corporations to market hair color products akin to Revlon to men of all ages?
No. They would probably charge 3x the cost for the same bottle of women's dye in a box packaged and marketed to men much like they charge more for pink razors of same quality as the other colored men's razor. If it is something you have a passion for, why not start your own company? I personally prefer to buy my grooming products from small independent companies myself, and perhaps you can tap into a loyal clientele.

And does it make sense for a man with dark brown hair to dye his hair black when it's already only a few shades from that anyways?
When I dress, I rarely dress to please myself, otherwise I would be running around in nothing but slippers and a bathrobe. I dress to please my spouse first and foremost, my friends and business associates secondly, If I am travelling I dress to blend in. Same with the grooming of my face and hair.

If you are a minor living under your parents roof and they disprove it is more important to be peaceable. You will be an adult soon enough. But if they don't have a problem, and it is not that noticeable or does not affect your work/school performance go ahead.

The point is, this is a matter of grooming, not irreparable facial reconstructive surgery. if it it not causing havoc in your life and it helps you feel more comfortable about yourself, go ahead. Don't worry about if the package of the product is marketed as blue or pink.
Last edited by Narland on Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alorgaze
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2018
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Alorgaze » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:16 pm

Who cares what the hell is someone doing their body? It's their body, their business, idc if the choice they are making is good or bad, they will face the consequences if it's bad, I just like to mind my own business.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:50 pm

Evacillian wrote:

Well, it all has to do with context. If some random guy I saw on the street had green coloured hair, I wouldn't care. However, if I was an employer interviewing and choosing employees- I may be looking for a certain standard of appearance.

If the hair is groomed what does it matter what the color is?
Insert trite farewell here

Takso
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Takso » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:27 pm

This is a personal decision for men and I do not see any benefit to making it anything otherwise. I think unnatural colours like pink and blue are a little... Eccentric, but hey, it isn't harming me or them.

Evacillian
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Evacillian » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:32 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Evacillian wrote:

If the hair is groomed what does it matter what the color is?

Well, if I was trying to fill in some sort of customer service job, in which the customers see the employee- although you and I might not care about others' appearance, some- actually quite a bit- of people do. Especially if they are paying for a service. If most of my customers were older, educated 'proper', or simply more socially conservative- having a person with bright, unnatural hair will be a negative and sales would drop. As someone posted earlier, a rando with green hair is no big, but a lawyer? That is just unprofessional.

Neutral Good
Fandoms are LIFE

New Hennig
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 20, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hennig » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:34 pm

I am neither for it or against it. It is up to the individual on how they style or color their hair.
Proud American. Professional Wrestling fanatic. Cannabis Advocate. Independent Classical Liberal. Agnostic. Filthy casual gamer. Love 1A & 2A. Never Trump. Twitter= @Rick_Hennig
Political compass Economic 4.63 Social -6.0
Any and all TGs are not welcomed. Don’t bother because I won’t even reply.

Corunia and Mironor
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Corunia and Mironor » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:30 pm

If someone wants to dye their hair who are any of us to stop them? And why should their gender even matter?
(she/her)

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:04 am

Rojava Free State wrote:Do you agree or disagree with men changing their hair coloring? Do you engage in the practice? Do you think it's time for corporations to market hair color products akin to Revlon to men of all ages? And does it make sense for a man with dark brown hair to dye his hair black when it's already only a few shades from that anyways? Let me know your thoughts below

Everyone should be able to dye their hair w/e they want to without feeling shame and social pressure to do otherwise. Some men look better leaving their hair as they are, others can look much better by dying them. It shouldn't be exclusive to women, including "exotic" colors, such as blue, orange, green etc.

Personally, I will never dye my hair. They are most likely going to grey out prematurely due to genetics and I'm fine with that. They look great.

You'd be surprised with how many people find it "wrong". Unfortunately, not everyone is ok with seeing men with pink hair, for example.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:18 am

-Ocelot- wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:Do you agree or disagree with men changing their hair coloring? Do you engage in the practice? Do you think it's time for corporations to market hair color products akin to Revlon to men of all ages? And does it make sense for a man with dark brown hair to dye his hair black when it's already only a few shades from that anyways? Let me know your thoughts below

Everyone should be able to dye their hair w/e they want to without feeling shame and social pressure to do otherwise. Some men look better leaving their hair as they are, others can look much better by dying them. It shouldn't be exclusive to women, including "exotic" colors, such as blue, orange, green etc.

Personally, I will never dye my hair. They are most likely going to grey out prematurely due to genetics and I'm fine with that. They look great.

You'd be surprised with how many people find it "wrong". Unfortunately, not everyone is ok with seeing men with pink hair, for example.

The libertarian leaning of a lot of NSers (many of whom are Europeans so social liberalism is also normal for them) contrasts with the extreme social conservatism of certain americans. My grandmother was shocked when she heard I dyed my hair and literally accused me of trying to be "a cholo" and "a gang member" (back when she was a kid, Latino gangsters would bleach and slick back their hair)
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Kaztropol
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 30, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kaztropol » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:01 am

If you want to colour your hair to even out a different-coloured patch, then sure, why not ?

If it's a natural colour, it only becomes a bit peculiar in a very few circumstances, such as when a man who you know is in his 50's suddenly loses the greys that you saw last time you met him, and turns pitch black.

Footballers used to get hair dyed or bleached, or permed, or other such things, and nobody really cared.

If you dye your hair an unusual colour, fire engine red, dayglow orange, neon pink, electric blue, lime green and so on, without a radical hairstyle like a punk spike mohawk, then, it looks kind of weird. Like, a standard male side-parting hairstyle in lime green, looks a lot odder than a spiked hairdo in the same colour.

If you dye your body hair electric blue, then, umm, well, that's really weird.

Of course, this is a bit of a double standard, but that's mostly what society is like here. A woman can colour her hair all sorts of colours, and people won't think anything much, other than if it looks good or not. Man colours his hair, people are going to assume things, not all of them complimentary.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:25 pm

Kaztropol wrote:If you want to colour your hair to even out a different-coloured patch, then sure, why not ?

If it's a natural colour, it only becomes a bit peculiar in a very few circumstances, such as when a man who you know is in his 50's suddenly loses the greys that you saw last time you met him, and turns pitch black.

Footballers used to get hair dyed or bleached, or permed, or other such things, and nobody really cared.

If you dye your hair an unusual colour, fire engine red, dayglow orange, neon pink, electric blue, lime green and so on, without a radical hairstyle like a punk spike mohawk, then, it looks kind of weird. Like, a standard male side-parting hairstyle in lime green, looks a lot odder than a spiked hairdo in the same colour.

If you dye your body hair electric blue, then, umm, well, that's really weird.

Of course, this is a bit of a double standard, but that's mostly what society is like here. A woman can colour her hair all sorts of colours, and people won't think anything much, other than if it looks good or not. Man colours his hair, people are going to assume things, not all of them complimentary.

My hair is already dark brown, so I doubt many people will notice if I go black
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

BLASNIAENIA
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby BLASNIAENIA » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:22 pm

I have my hair dyed right now. I got in trouble at school for it but everyone says it looks cool.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:31 pm

BLASNIAENIA wrote:I have my hair dyed right now. I got in trouble at school for it but everyone says it looks cool.

your school is dumb then

BLASNIAENIA
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby BLASNIAENIA » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:32 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
BLASNIAENIA wrote:I have my hair dyed right now. I got in trouble at school for it but everyone says it looks cool.

your school is dumb then

It is. But I am popular there.

Abercontin-Jereaux
Spokesperson

Founded: May 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Abercontin-Jereaux » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:22 am

I generally fine when they change it to like blonde, brown, black et cetera. silver is okay too. But then we have the goons and edgy hipsters who dye ther hair in obnoxious colours. Who dyes their hair blue?
If it's for performance or yadda yadda I'll buy it but, seriously? Just becuz you want to look cool doesn't mean you go dye your hair blue or green.
I prefer temporary dyes cuz if other criticize you then at least you can wash it off.
Nightcore! UWU
Sig is not ready yet, but will come out soon.
"Afraid of me?" -Kyro, Subzero

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:05 am

When I was younger I died my hair black from time to time, and as a teenager went almost white-blonde for a spell.

I also used to wear my hair long. Middle of the back long.

Now I am older, wiser (and going bald. Went gray some time ago) I just keep it short and natural. I have better things to do with my time and money.
Last edited by Big Jim P on Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General