NATION

PASSWORD

Steel Rails and Iron Men (PT, Interest/Planning, OOC)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Freiderichsland
Secretary

Founded: May 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Steel Rails and Iron Men (PT, Interest/Planning, OOC)

Postby Freiderichsland » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:37 pm

In the Holy Empire of Freiderichsland, politics is a deadly game where the rules and the contestants are never set in stone. The power of the Burgomasters increases as cities become centers of economic power and industry, while the Gauleiters who rule the vast tracts of countryside and the peasants who farm them leverage centuries of accumulated power and privilege to maintain their position on top.

In this complicated dance, control of railroads and the revenue and convenience they represent is vital. So it is a major bombshell when the Gauleiter of Fulda permits two Burgomasters to build a new railroad line through his territory to connect their cities. In addition to threatening to throw the delicate balance of power among the various princes of the Holy Empire out of order, this railroad also sparks a peasant rebellion among the people who are slotted for displacement when the steel rails are laid down.

This is an interest thread for a Past Tech RP in the Holy Empire of Freiderichsland, a Holy Roman Empire-esque nation divided into a patchwork of competing territories. The tech level is roughly late Victorian (1890s): here is a more detailed description of the kinds of technologies that are in play.

A map of the Holy Empire showing major cities and terrain features, with existing railroads shown in gray and the proposed railroad line shown in yellow:

Dramatis Personae:

Erich von Stricher, Burgomaster of Rotenburg – one of the two political figures pushing for the construction of the new railroad line

Severin von Horburg, Burgomaster of Offenburg – one of the two political figures pushing for the construction of the new railroad line

Heinz von Viligen. Gauleiter of Fulda – the prince who controls the land north of the Sauer River that the rail line will use to connect the two cities. He is backing the construction of the line as a way of increasing his own power.

Werner Adelhelm, Prince-Bishop of Dossel – the prince who controls the land south of the Sauer River that the rail line will use to connect the two cities. He is backing the construction of the line as a means of increasing revenue from pilgrimages to the reliquaries in his territory.

Lothar Alwinson – the leader of the peasant rebellion, a charismatic farmer driven off his land by the Gauleiter’s soldiers

Adolph Dussol, Pope Pius XIV – the Pope recognized in Freiderichsland, seated in the capital city of Koenigsburg.

Reinhold von Gelstorf, Emperor – the current Emperor of the Holy Empire.
Last edited by Freiderichsland on Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:15 am, edited 5 times in total.

Alpes a Septentrionali Imperium
Envoy

Founded: Jan 20, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Alpes a Septentrionali Imperium » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:41 pm

Well, this looks interesting. Will probably post more tomorrow
Note: Many factbooks are in a constant state of WIP or being considered for entire rework or deletion

Welcome to The Alpes a Septentrionali Imperium, a nation where I brutalize and adapt Latin and French History to my needs to get my Ultraroyalist Absolutist French Monarchy with a vaguely French-sounding fictional royal family to work.

Don't ask about the flag, it has something to do with RMB RP that I'm involved with.
Leader * Overview[Perpetual WIP] * Military * Ask me questitons

Crimetopolis
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

OOC:

Postby Crimetopolis » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:42 am

Would a fictional nation be allowed? Dibs on the c96 automatic Mauser pistol.

Freiderichsland
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiderichsland » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:18 pm

Crimetopolis wrote:Would a fictional nation be allowed? Dibs on the c96 automatic Mauser pistol.

What do you mean by a fictional nation? This does not take place in an alternate Earth or anything like that, this RP will use NationStates nations.

As for the C96, handheld automatic weapons are beyond the tech level for this RP. A semi-automatic Mauser would be fine.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Alpes a Septentrionali Imperium » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:12 pm

Welp, I'm back. And I have a question, what do you mean by foreign investor? As I don't think the entire government of my nation would approve funding a railroad in another nation, but I'm sure nobles, capitalists, and even the emperor and the imperial princes would fund this project and even fund private armies to protect the building if they think that something is coming out it that they want.

Also is your nation like the holy roman empire but in the 1890s?
Last edited by Alpes a Septentrionali Imperium on Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Many factbooks are in a constant state of WIP or being considered for entire rework or deletion

Welcome to The Alpes a Septentrionali Imperium, a nation where I brutalize and adapt Latin and French History to my needs to get my Ultraroyalist Absolutist French Monarchy with a vaguely French-sounding fictional royal family to work.

Don't ask about the flag, it has something to do with RMB RP that I'm involved with.

Freiderichsland
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiderichsland » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:26 pm

Alpes a Septentrionali imperium wrote:Welp, I'm back. And I have a question, what do you mean by foreign investor? As I don't think the entire government of my nation would approve funding a railroad in another nation, but I'm sure nobles, capitalists, and even the emperor and the imperial princes would fund this project and even fund private armies to protect the building if they think that something is coming out it that they want.

That is fine. The idea is that the funding and planning of the new railroad are coming from outside the Holy Empire - so it could be a private business, a state-owned company, or a wealthy individual. And presumably whatever foreign entity is helping build the railroad would get a cut of profits from the railroad, as well as some significant influence that could translate into future business opportunities or political arrangements. Being able or willing to hire private soldiers to protect the line as it's being built would also be a good plot point, and create another point of friction that would have to be dealt with.

Alpes a Septentrionali imperium wrote:Also is your nation like the holy roman empire but in the 1890s?

That's a pretty accurate summary, yes.
Last edited by Freiderichsland on Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wochaystein
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 06, 2018
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Wochaystein » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:06 pm

I'll keep an eye on this. Personally I find it interesting if a Diarcesian from a province that is a rump successor to an HRE-like nation (Wochaystein) gets involved as a foreign investor in Freiderichsland. I assume this takes place in the 1890s not just in tech but in actual timeline? Maybe Kuronami can also get involved in some fashion here.
Last edited by Wochaystein on Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dieresis of Diarcesia
The Cities of the Holy Empire of Wochaystein
Zuidren | Krofen | Fischen | Tien | Tendorf

Freiderichsland
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiderichsland » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:51 pm

Wochaystein wrote:I'll keep an eye on this. Personally I find it interesting if a Diarcesian from a province that is a rump successor to an HRE-like nation (Wochaystein) gets involved as a foreign investor in Freiderichsland. I assume this takes place in the 1890s not just in tech but in actual timeline? Maybe Kuronami can also get involved in some fashion here.

I'm fine with the idea of multiple foreign investors, who may or may not all get along.

As for setting, this takes place in the canon of Legacy of the Yukons, which is a Past Tech RP region where technology has been stagnant for a long time. So it's happening in the "present day" and I'm keeping the tech limited to 1890s so nobody has a massive overpowered advantage. We can work out whatever multiverse reasoning we need to explain why everyone else is also using Past Tech, so it could be happening in the 1890s of your timeline for example. The Technology Guide I linked to in the OP has more information on the IC reason why the region is operating at late Victorian technology.
Last edited by Freiderichsland on Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crimetopolis
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

OOC:

Postby Crimetopolis » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:00 pm

Cool. I'll play as myself.

Question: Would bolt action carbine that used smokeless powder, rimless catridges and stripper clips be allowed. too? Still hope on the Mauser 1896 pistol. also.

Vrijstaat Limburg
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Vrijstaat Limburg » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:19 pm

Oh, this looks sweet! Could I join too?

Edit: Can I support the peasant rebellion too? They seem like a pretty interesting side to support, and having different nations on different sides would probably make the tensions between the parties rise considerably.
Last edited by Vrijstaat Limburg on Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 8.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.74

AmericanValues results

My personal voting record:
- Dutch parliamentary elections of 2021: Mr. Kees van der Staaij (Lijst 11 Reformed Political Party)
FÜRECH JOT
EER DIENGE JOUVERNEUR
DOT JET JOTS VEUR ET VOADERLAN

Orostan
Negotiator

Founded: May 02, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Orostan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:24 pm

If you'll let me, I'm open to either playing as some foreign industrial capitalist or playing as an industrial union.
Last edited by Orostan on Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

Cicero wrote:"In times of war, the laws fall silent"

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:35 pm

I am very interested in this proposition. I've never done a story set that far back in TurtleShroom's history, and would love to world build some things for that era. My nation is multi-species with a massive human population (consisting of a plurality of the country) shared with sapient turtles and sapient mushrooms.

If your story has human-only snobbery, I maintain a strict "only send human" policies at the request of the author of the tale. Using the IC justification of "cultural sensitivity and respect", no turtles or mushrooms will set foot on your nation's soil if you so demand.

Personally, OP, I believe that this story should require our nations being set in the past. This would put everyone on PT and allow us to world build something we rarely think about in our nations' past.
Last edited by TURTLESHROOM II on Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus loves you and died for you!
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
"NOOKULAR" STOCKPILE: 701,033 fission and dropping, 7 fusion.
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

Lillorainen wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 4/6/2024 AD):

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

Freiderichsland
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiderichsland » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:16 pm

Glad to see so much interest! I think I will have an IC thread up sometime tomorrow.

Crimetopolis wrote:Cool. I'll play as myself.

Question: Would bolt action carbine that used smokeless powder, rimless catridges and stripper clips be allowed. too? Still hope on the Mauser 1896 pistol. also.

The only element of that which I would say is too advanced is the rimless cartridge. Otherwise the weapon you're describing is the kind that the Holy Empire's military would use, though hunters and other private citizens or militias might have to make do with single-shot weapons and possibly still black powder if they're especially poor. Muzzle-loading muskets are also still around, especially for poor farmers who just need something simple for home defense.

Vrijstaat Limburg wrote:Oh, this looks sweet! Could I join too?

Edit: Can I support the peasant rebellion too? They seem like a pretty interesting side to support, and having different nations on different sides would probably make the tensions between the parties rise considerably.

I'm fine with the peasants getting some support, as long as it's not overwhelming. The only issue would be that the nearest large port is run by one of the pro-railroad nobles, so getting lots of aid to them might require some subterfuge.

Orostan wrote:If you'll let me, I'm open to either playing as some foreign industrial capitalist or playing as an industrial union.

That's three people who have expressed interest in being investors backing the railroad. If all three of you do end up joining the RP, I'd like you to coordinate so you're all on the same page.

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:I am very interested in this proposition. I've never done a story set that far back in TurtleShroom's history, and would love to world build some things for that era. My nation is multi-species with a massive human population (consisting of a plurality of the country) shared with sapient turtles and sapient mushrooms.

If your story has human-only snobbery, I maintain a strict "only send human" policies at the request of the author of the tale. Using the IC justification of "cultural sensitivity and respect", no turtles or mushrooms will set foot on your nation's soil if you so demand.

Personally, OP, I believe that this story should require our nations being set in the past. This would put everyone on PT and allow us to world build something we rarely think about in our nations' past.

I agree about the time setting, that simplifies things immensely.

As for the characters, I would prefer that any characters that interacting with Freiderichslanders be humans, but I'm fine with turtle and mushroom people being referenced or playing roles behind the scenes.

Guuj Xaat Kil
Diplomat

Founded: May 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Guuj Xaat Kil » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:23 pm

Henlo, are dreadnoughts allowed and do you have any?
Former Foreign Minister of the Federation of Allies.
Formerly [REDACTED] and [REDACTED], 8000 combined what the heck.

egg

Freiderichsland
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiderichsland » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:37 pm

Guuj Xaat Kil wrote:Henlo, are dreadnoughts allowed and do you have any?

No, we're are the pre-dreadnought ironclad battleship phase. But the Holy Empire does possess a small number of battleships, but most of its navy is armored cruisers and smaller ships and its main emphasis is on coast defense and anti-piracy.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Alpes a Septentrionali Imperium » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:44 pm

Know what, before it's too late, I've already posted a few times, and I kinda want to get into this. I think the Empereur-Roi's brother Prince Guillaume would probably try to fund this railroad under a shell company in some veiled (and probably failed)attempt to try to make Alpes gain influence in the Holy Empire, that and to prove himself to his brother. And he'll probably just bring a regiment of the engineers and infantry for just incase reasons.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:45 pm

What’s the date of this RP? I know the tech level is 1890s I just want to know what the actual date would be due to Thermodolia having some internal strife in the early 1890s
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Freiderichsland
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiderichsland » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:37 pm

Alpes a Septentrionali imperium wrote:Know what, before it's too late, I've already posted a few times, and I kinda want to get into this. I think the Empereur-Roi's brother Prince Guillaume would probably try to fund this railroad under a shell company in some veiled (and probably failed)attempt to try to make Alpes gain influence in the Holy Empire, that and to prove himself to his brother. And he'll probably just bring a regiment of the engineers and infantry for just incase reasons.

Excellent! I've been working under the assumption that all three nations who have expressed interest in being the investor will all be working together. It would make sense that the two Burgomasters who want the railroad built between their cities would get as many possible investors, and the foreign experts/assistance, as possible. And having some foreign soldiers guarding the line and helping evict people from the planned path of the railroad would certainly add to the grievances of the peasants who rise up.

Thermodolia wrote:What’s the date of this RP? I know the tech level is 1890s I just want to know what the actual date would be due to Thermodolia having some internal strife in the early 1890s

I don't have an exact date, but I'd say closer to late 1890s than early 1890s, if that's helpful at all.
Last edited by Freiderichsland on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Alpes a Septentrionali Imperium » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:06 pm

Freiderichsland wrote:
Alpes a Septentrionali imperium wrote:Know what, before it's too late, I've already posted a few times, and I kinda want to get into this. I think the Empereur-Roi's brother Prince Guillaume would probably try to fund this railroad under a shell company in some veiled (and probably failed)attempt to try to make Alpes gain influence in the Holy Empire, that and to prove himself to his brother. And he'll probably just bring a regiment of the engineers and infantry for just incase reasons.

Excellent! I've been working under the assumption that all three nations who have expressed interest in being the investor will all be working together. It would make sense that the two Burgomasters who want the railroad built between their cities would get as many possible investors, and the foreign experts/assistance, as possible. And having some foreign soldiers guarding the line and helping evict people from the planned path of the railroad would certainly add to the grievances of the peasants who rise up.

Thermodolia wrote:What’s the date of this RP? I know the tech level is 1890s I just want to know what the actual date would be due to Thermodolia having some internal strife in the early 1890s

I don't have an exact date, but I'd say closer to late 1890s than early 1890s, if that's helpful at all.

Well, that sounds good and was about what I was thinking when I heard this being all about investors. Multiple investors working together to fund, help build and possibly plan out the building of this railroad. (Little question does this to be built railroad line have a name yet or no?). But why do I have a feeling that this ambitious prince from my nation coming over as an investor with his army, is going to end with my nation's soldiers massacring peasants to put down a revolt.

Orostan
Negotiator

Postby Orostan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:14 pm

Alpes a Septentrionali imperium wrote:
Freiderichsland wrote:Excellent! I've been working under the assumption that all three nations who have expressed interest in being the investor will all be working together. It would make sense that the two Burgomasters who want the railroad built between their cities would get as many possible investors, and the foreign experts/assistance, as possible. And having some foreign soldiers guarding the line and helping evict people from the planned path of the railroad would certainly add to the grievances of the peasants who rise up.

Well, that sounds good and was about what I was thinking when I heard this being all about investors. Multiple investors working together to fund, help build and possibly plan out the building of this railroad. (Little question does this to be built railroad line have a name yet or no?). But why do I have a feeling that this ambitious prince from my nation coming over as an investor with his army, is going to end with my nation's soldiers massacring peasants to put down a revolt.

If nobody is going to play as the union organizers I’ll certainly have fun playing them and erecting guillotines
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Mersdon
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mersdon » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:30 pm

Okay, this is cool. I'd love to join, if it's okay by you!
On a similar note, are certain diseases common in this world? Are there going to be any epidemics going around?
[floatright]
Does a French cowboy say ouihaw?

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Also, I may be inactive at times, so please bear with my erratic schedule on here.

Freiderichsland
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiderichsland » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:50 pm

Alpes a Septentrionali imperium wrote:Well, that sounds good and was about what I was thinking when I heard this being all about investors. Multiple investors working together to fund, help build and possibly plan out the building of this railroad. (Little question does this to be built railroad line have a name yet or no?). But why do I have a feeling that this ambitious prince from my nation coming over as an investor with his army, is going to end with my nation's soldiers massacring peasants to put down a revolt.

That's exactly the kind of outcome I was hoping to get!

Orostan wrote:If nobody is going to play as the union organizers I’ll certainly have fun playing them and erecting guillotines

By union organizers do you mean trying to unionize the workers building the railroad? Because I imagine most of them would be Freiderichslander peasants or city-dwellers recruited or conscripted by the pro-railroad nobles to provide the labor, which would make unionizing difficult.

Mersdon wrote:Okay, this is cool. I'd love to join, if it's okay by you!
On a similar note, are certain diseases common in this world? Are there going to be any epidemics going around?

That depends on how you want to join the RP.

As for diseases: cholera, smallpox, typhus, and yellow fever are all common diseases at this time, though many of them have vaccines those vaccines are not widely available, especially in rural communities. So I imagine that the workers' camps that are set up as the railroad is built will have problems with disease outbreaks.
Last edited by Freiderichsland on Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orostan
Negotiator

Postby Orostan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:59 pm

Freiderichsland wrote:
Alpes a Septentrionali imperium wrote:Well, that sounds good and was about what I was thinking when I heard this being all about investors. Multiple investors working together to fund, help build and possibly plan out the building of this railroad. (Little question does this to be built railroad line have a name yet or no?). But why do I have a feeling that this ambitious prince from my nation coming over as an investor with his army, is going to end with my nation's soldiers massacring peasants to put down a revolt.

That's exactly the kind of outcome I was hoping to get!

Orostan wrote:If nobody is going to play as the union organizers I’ll certainly have fun playing them and erecting guillotines

By union organizers do you mean trying to unionize the workers building the railroad? Because I imagine most of them would be Freiderichslander peasants or city-dwellers recruited or conscripted by the pro-railroad nobles to provide the labor, which would make unionizing difficult.

Mersdon wrote:Okay, this is cool. I'd love to join, if it's okay by you!

That depends on how you want to join the RP.

As for diseases: cholera, smallpox, typhus, and yellow fever are all common diseases at this time, though many of them have vaccines those vaccines are not widely available, especially in rural communities. So I imagine that the workers' camps that are set up as the railroad is built will have problems with disease outbreaks.

If I was to play as a union it would probably be some Freiderichsland based union and probably be semi-underground, at that.

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Freiderichsland
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiderichsland » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:17 pm

Orostan wrote:If I was to play as a union it would probably be some Freiderichsland based union and probably be semi-underground, at that.

I like this idea! The union would be able to operate more openly in the cities, as sort of a natural evolution of the guild system, but it would run into opposition if it tried (as I assume you will try) to spread beyond the tradesmen in the cities to the laborers working on the railroad. This would be another good point of friction for the nations proving investment for the line.

Alpes a Septentrionali imperium wrote:(Little question does this to be built railroad line have a name yet or no?)

I missed this question the first time. The answer is that no, the railroad line does not have a name beyond "the Offenburg to Rotenburg line."

Orostan
Negotiator

Postby Orostan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:45 pm

Freiderichsland wrote:
Orostan wrote:If I was to play as a union it would probably be some Freiderichsland based union and probably be semi-underground, at that.

I like this idea! The union would be able to operate more openly in the cities, as sort of a natural evolution of the guild system, but it would run into opposition if it tried (as I assume you will try) to spread beyond the tradesmen in the cities to the laborers working on the railroad. This would be another good point of friction for the nations proving investment for the line.

Alpes a Septentrionali imperium wrote:(Little question does this to be built railroad line have a name yet or no?)

I missed this question the first time. The answer is that no, the railroad line does not have a name beyond "the Offenburg to Rotenburg line."

Then I'll play as a union - though an industrial union will be different than a craft union. The IWW and AFL never got along, I don't expect the relationship between craft and industrial unions would be better elsewhere. I think we can have a lot of fun with this.

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents