NATION

PASSWORD

[Suggestion] Bookkeeping Category in GA

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

[Suggestion] Bookkeeping Category in GA

Postby Morover » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:34 pm

Hey, y'all. I'm like 99% sure this is the right place to put this, since I don't think it would go into either the Moderation or GA subforums, and those are the only other places I can even think of.

So, essentially, I think (and I've talked to some other GA regulars about it, and they seem to support it) that a bookkeeping category in the General Assembly would be nice. For things such as basic definitions proposals which span all proposals (to stop the "affordable is a subjective term!" and other such arguments I've been seeing recently).

This isn't fully unprecedented, either. The first GA resolution written by Max himself has a category of bookkeeping. I find it rather frustrating that we cannot affect other resolutions directly through future resolutions (and no, I'm not talking about amendments).

I was thinking about it, and the description could be something along the lines of "A resolution to better manage the World Assembly."

Of course, this isn't very fleshed out, just a loose idea. Further opinions would be great. Thanks for reading.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:51 pm

Seconded.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:54 pm

What statistical effect would this category have? It sounds like you're basically trying to amend resolutions without actually doing it. Can you give an example of how this would work, without materially changing the current ruleset?
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:04 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:What statistical effect would this category have? It sounds like you're basically trying to amend resolutions without actually doing it. Can you give an example of how this would work, without materially changing the current ruleset?

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. It could affect averageness, but even then it seems out of place. I don't think it would be so much amending resolutions as setting rough guidelines for them.

Honestly, I got the idea (like I mentioned in the OP) by thinking that a general definition resolution could prove to be mighty useful (e.g. "Mandates that all resolutions, unless otherwise specified in said resolution, follow the following definitions for basic words," though put more elegantly). The only category I can really imagine this being placed in currently is Political Stability, but it doesn't seem to really fit, to me. I think there could be an argument given for the "Operative Clause" or "Optionality" rules, but I think that it can be debated endlessly. Personally, I don't think it would violate either of these, despite seeing how an argument could be there.

But yeah, I don't know entirely how it would interact statistically.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Kranostav
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:13 pm

As far as I know, definitions are only applicable to the resolution in which they were defined in. So you would be looking at a rule set change for this as well.

Also, if your proposal is written in such a way that a legitimate objection could be how the word 'affordable' is interpreted, you might want to do some redrafting. :p
Non-compliance is lame and you should feel bad
The meddling WA Kid of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:20 pm

Kranostav wrote:As far as I know, definitions are only applicable to the resolution in which they were defined in. So you would be looking at a rule set change for this as well.

Also, if your proposal is written in such a way that a legitimate objection could be how the word 'affordable' is interpreted, you might want to do some redrafting. :p

I can't find your former point in the rules - though I may be looking in all the wrong spots. For your latter point, I definitely don't think they are objections to be taken seriously, though I can see how a basic definition can be beneficial in general.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Kranostav
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 01, 2015

Postby Kranostav » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:11 pm

Morover wrote:
Kranostav wrote:As far as I know, definitions are only applicable to the resolution in which they were defined in. So you would be looking at a rule set change for this as well.

I can't find your former point in the rules - though I may be looking in all the wrong spots. For your latter point, I definitely don't think they are objections to be taken seriously, though I can see how a basic definition can be beneficial in general.

House of Cards is the line of thinking if I am not mistaken. As your basisg of definitions explicitly off of older resolutions will make them meaningless in the event of said previous legislation being repealed.
Non-compliance is lame and you should feel bad
The meddling WA Kid of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:53 am

I can code the stats for this in five minutes if it's something that the community think is useful, so the discussion here shouldn't really be around those.

Really the discussion should be what would opening the category bring to the GA. I'm not as au fait with the rule set as I once was, but maybe if the no committee only rule was gone the creation of committees or agencies could go in here.

But off the top of my head, that's the only thing I can think of, and I'm not sure that's good enough to open the category.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:22 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:What statistical effect would this category have?

Why do resolutions need to have a statistical effect?
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:42 am

Aclion wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:What statistical effect would this category have?

Why do resolutions need to have a statistical effect?

Because otherwise the WA is just a bunch of diplomats expounding with no actual effect, much like the United Nations. I think it's safe to say that most everyone agrees that the UN is something of a joke in terms of enforcement power and impact. We don't want that.

The WA was designed from the outset to have an actual, measurable impact on its member nations. If you want the benefits of WA membership, you must occasionally pay the price in the form of stat changes that you may not find desirable. That's why all WA proposals (except GAR #1) have a statistics effect.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:51 am

Kranostav wrote:
Morover wrote:I can't find your former point in the rules - though I may be looking in all the wrong spots. For your latter point, I definitely don't think they are objections to be taken seriously, though I can see how a basic definition can be beneficial in general.

House of Cards is the line of thinking if I am not mistaken. As your basisg of definitions explicitly off of older resolutions will make them meaningless in the event of said previous legislation being repealed.

Maybe I'm not being super clear with what I mean (or I'm misunderstanding you - which is just as likely, honestly). I mean these definitions to be completely independent (and not reliant on any other resolutions). I don't think a House of Cards violation is there - at least for my example.

If you're referring to future proposals/resolutions being reliant on these definitions proposals, I don't really think it applies there either. The definitions would be for rather basic terms that individual resolutions shouldn't need to define, but that a definition would be useful for nonetheless. Nothing that would completely render a proposal non-functioning without.

Sanctaria wrote:I can code the stats for this in five minutes if it's something that the community think is useful, so the discussion here shouldn't really be around those.

Really the discussion should be what would opening the category bring to the GA. I'm not as au fait with the rule set as I once was, but maybe if the no committee only rule was gone the creation of committees or agencies could go in here.

But off the top of my head, that's the only thing I can think of, and I'm not sure that's good enough to open the category.

Thanks for clarifying that it's not a statistical issue - I don't know much (if anything) about the stats side of the GA.

Like I mentioned, I think a basic definitions resolution could greatly benefit the GA. Of course, there could be proposals written on the management of committees that don't really fit any other categories. It may not be overly used, but I think that there could be a few smaller things that could benefit the GA that are not currently possible.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:54 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Aclion wrote:Why do resolutions need to have a statistical effect?

Because otherwise the WA is just a bunch of diplomats expounding with no actual effect, much like the United Nations. I think it's safe to say that most everyone agrees that the UN is something of a joke in terms of enforcement power and impact. We don't want that.

The WA was designed from the outset to have an actual, measurable impact on its member nations. If you want the benefits of WA membership, you must occasionally pay the price in the form of stat changes that you may not find desirable. That's why all WA proposals (except GAR #1) have a statistics effect.

If that's the case then why are they so negligible that everyone ignores them?
Anyway I don't see why we should allow them to prevent us creating a category that would be useful for authors, and I can't deny that bookkeeping would be useful.
Last edited by Aclion on Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:01 am

Aclion wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:Because otherwise the WA is just a bunch of diplomats expounding with no actual effect, much like the United Nations. I think it's safe to say that most everyone agrees that the UN is something of a joke in terms of enforcement power and impact. We don't want that.

If that's the case then why are they so negligible that everyone ignores them?

IIRC they used to be noticeably stronger, but some Issues Editors didn't like the fact that one GA proposal passing had as much effect on the stats that it affected as answering multiple issues would do and managed to get the Resolution effects brought down to more in line with the Issue ones...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:18 am

I believe a mild resolution = one issue decision right now. But I don't entirely recall with perfect clarity Sanct's explanation.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I believe a mild resolution = one issue decision right now. But I don't entirely recall with perfect clarity Sanct's explanation.

Without getting into too much detail this is roughly correct, though the resolutions would still be a tad bit stronger. Mild, Significant, Strong are now roughly equatable to 1.5x, 2.5x, and 3.5x similar issues decisions.

Aclion wrote:If that's the case then why are they so negligible that everyone ignores them?

They're not that negligible, and oh boy do people not ignore them. I've lost count over the years people shouting as us for their stats changing, and it ended up being a GA resolution that caused it, not any of our issues.

Aclion wrote:Anyway I don't see why we should allow them to prevent us creating a category that would be useful for authors, and I can't deny that bookkeeping would be useful.

As I've said, I can code it up pretty quickly, that's not the issue. The issue is its use - what would it be used for. It's not my decision at the end of the day, if GenSec want the category and Admin is ok opening it it'll happen, but I know GenSec will want a fairly good argument for its use, and examples of what it would be used for. Stats shouldn't come into it, because (a) we can't divulge stats, and (b) I'll code the stats if you want it, that's not going to be a barrier.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical