NATION

PASSWORD

Illegal immigrants and racists: a PC question

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:27 pm

Elwher wrote:I have been told that what I consider Political Correctness should be considered Personal Courtesy, and I can see some validity to the concept. I do wish to examine it a bit fuller, however.

The PC crowd, by whether Political Correctness or Personal Courtesy, claims that we should not use the term Illegal Immigrant,

Lemme just stop ya there:

No.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:20 pm

No one is "illegal." Calling undocumented migrants "illegal" demeans them as a class and distorts the issue, making them the problem instead of the system -- including pull factors like, oh, let's say golf courses owned by Queens real estate developers that don't check too deeply into the immigration backgorunds of the people they employ for starvation wages and suchlike.

Further, not all undocumented migrants have broken the law. For example, it is legal to cross the US border at any point, including between authorized crossing points, in order to lodge a claim for asylum.

On the other hand, I know of no one outside the Twitterverse perhaps who calls the Republican Party racist. Trump is patently racist. Anyone in either party who minimizes or fails to acknowledge that fact must be strongly suspected of approving of Trump's racism and probably racism in general.

So, false equivalency, QED.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:15 am

US-SSR wrote:No one is "illegal." Calling undocumented migrants "illegal" demeans them as a class and distorts the issue, making them the problem instead of the system -- including pull factors like, oh, let's say golf courses owned by Queens real estate developers that don't check too deeply into the immigration backgorunds of the people they employ for starvation wages and suchlike.

Further, not all undocumented migrants have broken the law. For example, it is legal to cross the US border at any point, including between authorized crossing points, in order to lodge a claim for asylum.

On the other hand, I know of no one outside the Twitterverse perhaps who calls the Republican Party racist. Trump is patently racist. Anyone in either party who minimizes or fails to acknowledge that fact must be strongly suspected of approving of Trump's racism and probably racism in general.

So, false equivalency, QED.

8 U.S. Code § 1325. Improper entry by alien,
(a) Improper time or place; avoidance of examination or inspection; misrepresentation and concealment of facts
Any alien who (1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or (2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or (3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.

That is an idea often mistakenly put forth due the the fact that someone guilty of violation of the above statute can enter a claim for asylum upon arrest. It is not, however, an affirmative defense and the penalties described can still be applied upon conviction.

As to your last paragraph, I might agree if you consider the New York Times part of the Twitterverse. Numerous columnists, Charles Blow in the lead, have insisted that the entire party is racist due to the fact that they have not risen up and deposed the leader. I strongly suspect that other left leaning news outlets have made the same claim, but as I do not read them as regularly I cannot say for certain.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:24 am

US-SSR wrote:No one is "illegal." Calling undocumented migrants "illegal" demeans them as a class and distorts the issue, making them the problem instead of the system -- including pull factors like, oh, let's say golf courses owned by Queens real estate developers that don't check too deeply into the immigration backgorunds of the people they employ for starvation wages and suchlike.

Except no one is saying it's illegal for these people to exist. Their immigration was illegal (except in the case of asylum seekers). They are therefore illegal immigrants. They immigrated illegally. It's like if I'm driving without a license, the police pull me over and arrest me for being "an illegal driver" and my rhetort in a court of law is "no one is illegal." You can't counter facts with feel good slogans
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:47 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

Except no one is saying it's illegal for these people to exist. Their immigration was illegal (except in the case of asylum seekers). They are therefore illegal immigrants. They immigrated illegally. It's like if I'm driving without a license, the police pull me over and arrest me for being "an illegal driver" and my rhetort in a court of law is "no one is illegal." You can't counter facts with feel good slogans

They do not even have to mention ïllegal driver". Since you do not have a drivers license, they can just say that you have not been authorized by your states department of Transportation to drive a car.

If some do not quite like the term "illegal immigrantes"" "how about "border jumpers".
This is the definition - https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... %20jumpers
Last edited by Rio Cana on Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Previous

Return to General