NATION

PASSWORD

Would God approve of Guns

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Would God approve of guns?

Yes, god would approve of guns
62
44%
No, god would not approve of guns
32
23%
Idk, too many contradictions in the bible
47
33%
 
Total votes : 141

User avatar
Jeoloba
Attaché
 
Posts: 71
Founded: Jun 12, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Would God approve of Guns

Postby Jeoloba » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:57 am

I remember this conversation was started by me in the What if America banned guns forum but stopped, mainly because it was off topic. So I decided to make a forum for it.
In the bible it says "Thou shalt not kill" -Exodus 20:13, and guns were made to do just that. However as most us know, the bible is full of contradictions.
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.” -Matthew 10:34

This clearly contradicts the quote from the bible "Thou shalt not kill".

So what do you guys think, do you think God would approve of guns, not approve of guns, or not know what god would think because of all those contradictions in the bible?
Edit: Thou shalt not murder sounds better than Thou shalt not kill.
Edit 2: Thou shalt not commit murder is the Original Commandment not Thou shalt not kill.
Edit 3: The contradiction I mentioned before is not a good one so the new one is the Israelites murdering people for their holy land.
Last edited by Jeoloba on Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Lanorth
Diplomat
 
Posts: 769
Founded: Oct 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lanorth » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:00 am

Don't ask me such difficult questions. I have no idea. I think it depends.
WE DO NOT USE NS STATS, REAL STATS FOUND HERE: Actual Stats

One Man's Sanity Is One Other Man's Insanity


User avatar
Pacomia
Minister
 
Posts: 2789
Founded: May 23, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Pacomia » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:00 am

Jeoloba wrote:I remember this conversation was started by me in the What if America banned guns forum but stopped, mainly because it was off topic. So I decided to make a forum for it.
In the bible it says "Thou shalt not kill" -Exodus 20:13, and guns were made to do just that. However as most us know, the bible is full of contradictions.
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.” -Matthew 10:34

This clearly contradicts the quote from the bible "Thou shalt not kill".

So what do you guys think, do you think God would approve of guns, not approve of guns, or not know what god would think because of all those contradictions in the bible?

Too many contradictions to tell. Hell, too many contradictions about God. We barely know anything about his actual personality.

And that’s disregarding the fact that he probably doesn’t exist.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex

Results of political tests I took meme INTP, also a Disaffected Democrat, according to the Pew Research Centre.
Both the far left and far right are equally insane.
GLORY TO CASCADIA I’m a socialist. it’s different from communism. NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
CURRENT HDI: 0.84946 (similar to Latvia)
Also known as Dollar Store Kowani_________#EternalLotharia2020

User avatar
Kernen
Senator
 
Posts: 4381
Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:00 am

Its irrelevant, since no god has any bearing on individual rights.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

User avatar
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Minister
 
Posts: 2609
Founded: Apr 05, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:01 am

It doesn't matter what the Bible says, because the Bible's a mess of contradictions from which nothing coherent can be gleaned.

God can't approve of guns because he isn't real.

People who believe in God, however, approve of guns. Just look at rural areas, the deep south, and especially the rural areas of the deep south.

/thread
Iridencia wrote:Inept people always decry pragmatic choices as "cowardly" because they know they're not smart enough to play on that level.

User avatar
Kowani
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12812
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:04 am

Well…maybe if he could keep his own story straight, we could get a decent framework from which to base an opinion.
Narcissistic (Hedonistic) Nihilist. Yes, I am edgy. I know.
Dorgival R. Seč of the NS Parliament!
Atheist and still proud of it.
Post-Capitalist, Post-Nationalist.
Rights are functionally just privileges society has deemed important.
Prydania wrote:
As a Canadian? I find Americans and their deep, deep distrust of the government to be fundamentally, critically, laughably flawed. And I say this as someone who is, all and all, quite comfortable and happy in his new life in the US. The humidity's a bit much, but yeah. I like here. Still? I find some aspects of your country completely absurd. The distrust of anything remotely resembling authority is one. The gun problem that stems from that is another.

User avatar
Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1735
Founded: May 02, 2018
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:05 am

Depends, which god?

Old Testament? Yes

New Testament? Maybe
الأمة العربية الحرة
I don't use NS Stats
Baghdad Times: The Iranian Nationalist from Ahvaz proven wrong as war games show that "They can't stop all of us" is a terrible strategy and just leads to death... Typhoid to be "wiped out" by 1987, doctor claims... Indian Gov-in-Exile calls Abbas Ibn Arabiya "Dassm Eniuss", leading to confusion on both ends.

THERE NEVER WAS A DASSM, OUR LEADER HAS ALWAYS BEEN NAMED ABBAS IBN ARABIYA. TO SAY OTHERWISE IS A THOUGHTCRIME

User avatar
The Great-German Empire
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 486
Founded: Nov 25, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Great-German Empire » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:08 am

Probably would tbh - or at least he would be 'cool with it'. He had no qualms with swords, bows etc. so there's no reason to assume he would have anything to say against them. Even if we go strictly by 'Thou shalt not kill' God is definitely not against hunting, and guns have a huge application there.
IC Name: Empire of Germany
Just your friendly neighborhood Weltmacht. Und Doch Gang | NS Stats are not used. Q&A if you need it!
Pro/Anti, 8Values and other tests: Here
Unapologetic libertarian populist monarchism

Vossische Zeitung: Corvettes on track to outsell 911s on German soil, market and development panic ensues | Gossip media obsessed over bizarre German-Japanese royal house friendships | Radical environmentalism a new pillar of hard-left politics all over the world

User avatar
Nakena
Senator
 
Posts: 4141
Founded: May 06, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nakena » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:09 am

Depends on the God.

Mars, bringer of war, would allow them. So would Odin, Thor, etc.
Last edited by Nakena on Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your friendly neighbourhood barista and genderqueer degenerate bohemian
Female or they/them pronoun preferred but not required
Third Positionist Gang

User avatar
Napkizemlja
Diplomat
 
Posts: 533
Founded: Apr 13, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Napkizemlja » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:19 am

Jeoloba wrote:I remember this conversation was started by me in the What if America banned guns forum but stopped, mainly because it was off topic. So I decided to make a forum for it.
In the bible it says "Thou shalt not kill" -Exodus 20:13, and guns were made to do just that. However as most us know, the bible is full of contradictions.
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.” -Matthew 10:34

This clearly contradicts the quote from the bible "Thou shalt not kill".

So what do you guys think, do you think God would approve of guns, not approve of guns, or not know what god would think because of all those contradictions in the bible?

That commandment is better translated as "Thou shalt not murder". It's in the context of unlawful killing. That said, God has commanded us to pursue peace but we also live in an imperfect world where there will be those who wish to do us harm. We are allowed to defend ourselves in that instance.
Orthodox Christian and aspiring MD. Communitarian. Anti-usury. Ralph Fiennes is Serbian.

User avatar
Nakena
Senator
 
Posts: 4141
Founded: May 06, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nakena » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:20 am

Free Arabian Nation wrote:Depends, which god?

Old Testament? Yes

New Testament? Maybe


So you say that that are two different ones?
Your friendly neighbourhood barista and genderqueer degenerate bohemian
Female or they/them pronoun preferred but not required
Third Positionist Gang

User avatar
Highever
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1860
Founded: Dec 21, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Highever » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:25 am

This just seems like a really week "gotcha" attempt by simplifying things down to one commandment. Nevermind the fact that no law abiding gun owner has a gun to kill people. There are other uses for a firearm, you know.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

User avatar
Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1735
Founded: May 02, 2018
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:25 am

Nakena wrote:
Free Arabian Nation wrote:Depends, which god?

Old Testament? Yes

New Testament? Maybe


So you say that that are two different ones?

Pretty much, one's bloodthirsty and one pretends not to be bloodthirsty.
الأمة العربية الحرة
I don't use NS Stats
Baghdad Times: The Iranian Nationalist from Ahvaz proven wrong as war games show that "They can't stop all of us" is a terrible strategy and just leads to death... Typhoid to be "wiped out" by 1987, doctor claims... Indian Gov-in-Exile calls Abbas Ibn Arabiya "Dassm Eniuss", leading to confusion on both ends.

THERE NEVER WAS A DASSM, OUR LEADER HAS ALWAYS BEEN NAMED ABBAS IBN ARABIYA. TO SAY OTHERWISE IS A THOUGHTCRIME

User avatar
Nakena
Senator
 
Posts: 4141
Founded: May 06, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nakena » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:28 am

Free Arabian Nation wrote:
Nakena wrote:
So you say that that are two different ones?

Pretty much, one's bloodthirsty and one pretends not to be bloodthirsty.


Agreed. But christians cannot get it overthemself to ditch the OT god into the dumpster.
Your friendly neighbourhood barista and genderqueer degenerate bohemian
Female or they/them pronoun preferred but not required
Third Positionist Gang

User avatar
The Two Jerseys
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12242
Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:31 am

The God that commits war crimes against Egyptians and burns down cities for being naughty?

Yes, yes he would.
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

User avatar
Telconi
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 25834
Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Telconi » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:33 am

Presumably the 'Thou shall not kill' is an overly broad translation, given that God specifically condones and commands killing in various circumstances.

Perhaps "Thou shalt not murder" is a better way to phrase that.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32513
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:34 am

We've been using them for several centuries. If she disapproves then she's had plenty of time to make her feeling known.

User avatar
LiberNovusAmericae
Senator
 
Posts: 4480
Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:35 am

God does not exist, therefore what he would think is irreverent.
[Insert Signature Here]

User avatar
Grinning Dragon
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6184
Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:35 am

Well since man is made in the image of god, and all things are by the hand of god, therefore god would approve of arms.
I prefer Dangerous Freedom over peaceful slavery! Sic Semper Tyrannis!
Gun-Control is the belief that declawing the cat will protect it against other animals; also why are anti-gun people so violent?
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery!
Socialism- the herpes of economic systems.
My Constitutional Rights trump your dead. Proud American infidel since the 1970's-Deus Vult
The made up term "toxic masculinity" is founded on nonsense psychologism

User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32513
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:36 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:Well since man is made in the image of god, and all things are by the hand of god, therefore god would approve of arms.


But possibly not fire arms or bear arms since she didn't give us those. :P

User avatar
Nakena
Senator
 
Posts: 4141
Founded: May 06, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nakena » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:38 am

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:God does not exist, therefore what he would think is irreverent.


I assume you mean the abrahamite God.

Why you give him this special treatment? Why not just "Gods dont exist"

You claim to be atheist and yet are you subconciously influenced by monotheism.

Fartsniffage wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Well since man is made in the image of god, and all things are by the hand of god, therefore god would approve of arms.


But possibly not fire arms or bear arms since she didn't give us those. :P


Oh which Goddess is it?
Your friendly neighbourhood barista and genderqueer degenerate bohemian
Female or they/them pronoun preferred but not required
Third Positionist Gang

User avatar
LiberNovusAmericae
Senator
 
Posts: 4480
Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 am

Nakena wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:God does not exist, therefore what he would think is irreverent.


I assume you mean the abrahamite God.

Why you give him this special treatment? Why not just "Gods dont exist"

You claim to be atheist and yet are you subconciously influenced by monotheism.

Fartsniffage wrote:
But possibly not fire arms or bear arms since she didn't give us those. :P


Oh which Goddess is it?

Well this thread is about the abahamite god, or at least the OP seems to be.
[Insert Signature Here]

User avatar
Jeoloba
Attaché
 
Posts: 71
Founded: Jun 12, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Jeoloba » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:40 am

Kernen wrote:Its irrelevant, since no god has any bearing on individual rights.

Didn't kings claim to have the divine right to rule from god? From what I remember these same kings, who ruled from the will of god, were not fans of individual rights.

User avatar
Skyhooked
Senator
 
Posts: 3612
Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Skyhooked » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:42 am

Ya' mean christian God?

Well, let's just say, not guns, but people kill people, guns are just tools, so... he would be indifferent to them, like to any other object.

And what about other gods of other religions? Wonder, what would they think of guns.
Skyhooked is MT/PMT with a few FT elements. Military is factbook only. NS stats can be used too.
If you wanna know more about this haven of sin: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=418281&start=300

Our country offers: Alcohol, guns, cigars, weed, gambling, beaches and tons of souvenirs. And our current special: All booze 20% discount. Despite a common stereotype, we are not crime ridden place.

Refreshing News:
A grand festival will start soon enough, if nothing obstructs us again.

User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32513
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:42 am

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Nakena wrote:
I assume you mean the abrahamite God.

Why you give him this special treatment? Why not just "Gods dont exist"

You claim to be atheist and yet are you subconciously influenced by monotheism.



Oh which Goddess is it?

Well this thread is about the abahamite god, or at least the OP seems to be.


Indeed. And since mankind is made in her image and there are more women around than men, logically God is a woman.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Abserdia, An Alan Smithee Nation, Artarum, Bloodshade, Cerinda, Elejamie, Ethel mermania, Fartsniffage, Gallade, Google Adsense [Bot], Greater Arab State, Grinning Dragon, Immoren, Israeli Defense Force, Lunas Legion, Munkcestrian Republic, Mzeusia, Nakena, New Bremerton, Ors Might, Platypus Bureaucracy, Purgatio, Side 3, Soudar, Speshal squad, The Archipelago Territory, The Caleshan Valkyrie, The South Falls, Thermodolia, Tobleste, Uiiop, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads