NATION

PASSWORD

What's a discord account?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
BootJack
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 07, 2019
Ex-Nation

What's a discord account?

Postby BootJack » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:37 pm

I'm applying to be a legislator but the application is asking for my discord account. I have no idea what this is. If someone could steer me in the right direction I'd appreciate it greatly. Thank you.

Melondonia
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 13, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Melondonia » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:42 pm

BootJack wrote:I'm applying to be a legislator but the application is asking for my discord account. I have no idea what this is. If someone could steer me in the right direction I'd appreciate it greatly. Thank you.

Hi! Discord is similar to skype - it advertises itself as a "text and voice chat for gamers". You can join servers which act as chatrooms for various games and other topics or create one to share with your friends.

It's a cool service, and its pretty easy to set up an account, but you shouldn't give away too much personal info. I guess simply asking for your account isn't too much, because they probably just want a way to DM (Direct Message) you, or invite you to their server, but make sure not to give away passwords or anything. (You probably already know this, but its always better to be safe than sorry, right?)
Last edited by Melondonia on Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My NS Stats are all canon, for better or worse

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:05 am

BootJack wrote:the application is asking for my discord account.

Please note that this is a player-to-player regional or RP demand. There is no official game requirement for a Discord account. It's a handy app, no doubt; but not related to NationStates in any way.

Return to Technical