NATION

PASSWORD

The first molecule

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

I think..

We must start a petition to make Herbie mandatory viewing throughout the world
No votes
We must do this on our own as the people and Herbie will find a way, calling all animators!
No votes
Down with Herbie, this sacrilegious cartoon must never be made
No votes
I have a another name, faster, better, stronger..
25%
Herbie is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesn't afraid of anything
25%
Mandatory dumbass Hoff inclusion
25%
We should surely start with a poll for we must click the poll
25%
..and in honour of Memorable Posters.. Myrth
No votes
Also.. Option No. 9
No votes

Total votes : 4

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

The first molecule

Postby Bombadil » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:19 pm

When the universe formed during the Big Bang 13.8 billion years ago, the chemical reactions of the aftermath formed the first molecules. Those first molecules were crucial in helping form everything we know, but they're also absent.

And although HeH+, the helium hydride ion, has been proposed for years as that first molecule, scientists couldn't find any evidence of its existence in space.

Essentially they had a hypothesis but no evidence that hypothesis was true.

"The chemistry of the universe began with HeH+. The lack of definitive evidence of its very existence in interstellar space has been a dilemma for astronomy for a long time," said Rolf Güsten, study author and astronomer at the Max Planck Institute for Radioastronomy, in a statement.

Technically it only occurs in extreme circumstances.

"Despite the unpromising ingredients that are available, a mixture of hydrogen with the unreactive noble gas helium, and a harsh environment at thousands of degrees Celsius, a fragile molecule forms."

Basically you need some hydrogen atoms, some helium atoms, pop them in the oven and then burn them at temperature of more than 100, 000 degrees. Wait til the nebula is ionised and hey presto, you have a molecule..

"The discovery of HeH+ is a dramatic and beautiful demonstration of nature's tendency to form molecules," said David Neufeld, study co-author and professor in the Physics and Astronomy Department at Johns Hopkins University, said in a statement.

Essentially one could argue this was the very first step in evolution, the start of an infinite array of combinations that leads to the complexity of the modern human.

However HeH+ is not a name to excite anyone, so I propose we come up with a better name.. I'm thinking Herbie, the first molecule! A good animated cartoon following the Adventures of Herbie the First Molecule would go a long way to ingraining the fundamentals of science, evolution and a clear understanding of the long journey to where we are, and possibly a greater appreciation and little less arrogance about our planet and relations with each other.

How do we get governments to fund and enforce the phenomenon that will be Herbie, first of his kind?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and a link for the link nazis..
Last edited by Bombadil on Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:22 pm

Sounds pretty bloggy and there's no link, despite there's something being quoted, apparently.

EDIT: Apparently, I'm a "link nazi".
Last edited by Grenartia on Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:35 pm

Herbie? Meh.

Let's give it a name relating to the fact that it's the first molecule, such as Alpha, Genesis, or Recrudescence.

Or Dave. Yeah, Dave works too.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:36 pm

Bombadil wrote:When the universe formed during the Big Bang 13.8 billion years ago, the chemical reactions of the aftermath formed the first molecules. Those first molecules were crucial in helping form everything we know, but they're also absent.

And although HeH+, the helium hydride ion, has been proposed for years as that first molecule, scientists couldn't find any evidence of its existence in space.

Essentially they had a hypothesis but no evidence that hypothesis was true.

"The chemistry of the universe began with HeH+. The lack of definitive evidence of its very existence in interstellar space has been a dilemma for astronomy for a long time," said Rolf Güsten, study author and astronomer at the Max Planck Institute for Radioastronomy, in a statement.

Technically it only occurs in extreme circumstances.

"Despite the unpromising ingredients that are available, a mixture of hydrogen with the unreactive noble gas helium, and a harsh environment at thousands of degrees Celsius, a fragile molecule forms."

Basically you need some hydrogen atoms, some helium atoms, pop them in the oven and then burn them at temperature of more than 100, 000 degrees. Wait til the nebula is ionised and hey presto, you have a molecule..

"The discovery of HeH+ is a dramatic and beautiful demonstration of nature's tendency to form molecules," said David Neufeld, study co-author and professor in the Physics and Astronomy Department at Johns Hopkins University, said in a statement.

Essentially one could argue this was the very first step in evolution, the start of an infinite array of combinations that leads to the complexity of the modern human.

However HeH+ is not a name to excite anyone, so I propose we come up with a better name.. I'm thinking Herbie, the first molecule! A good animated cartoon following the Adventures of Herbie the First Molecule would go a long way to ingraining the fundamentals of science, evolution and a clear understanding of the long journey to where we are, and possibly a greater appreciation and little less arrogance about our planet and relations with each other.

How do we get governments to fund and enforce the phenomenon that will be Herbie, first of his kind?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and a link for the link nazis..

This is especially cool because it confirms the predictions of MO Theory! (I would know; I had a test question on this last semester)
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:40 pm

Xmara wrote:Herbie? Meh.

Let's give it a name relating to the fact that it's the first molecule, such as Alpha, Genesis, or Recrudescence.

Or Dave. Yeah, Dave works too.

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

Grenartia wrote:Sounds pretty bloggy and there's no link, despite there's something being quoted, apparently.

EDIT: Apparently, I'm a "link nazi".

I felt it was cool enough news to note, but certainly struggled to make a talking point out of it.. and created a roundabout way of asking how we better instils science at a young age, and thought taking the youngest building block of our planet was a good starting place.

But bloggy?

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:This is especially cool because it confirms the predictions of MO Theory! (I would know; I had a test question on this last semester)

This is the sort of thing to send me down a Wiki-hole.
Last edited by Bombadil on Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Return to General