NATION

PASSWORD

80s discussion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Traditional States
Lobbyist

Founded: May 06, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

80s discussion

Postby The Traditional States » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:40 pm

The 1980s are the most memorable for it's interesting culture. Feel free to discuss about it here, chief.

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Founded: Mar 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:07 pm

A lot of interesting things in terms of geopolitics could've happened.
We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

Las Palmeras
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:12 pm

I was exposed to New Wave, 80's Pop, Hi-NRG and Italo Disco because of my parents. I feel eternally grateful.
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.
UPHOLD SOUTH REINISM-LENINISM! UNLIMITED DESTRUCTION OF 1ST WORLD HETERRHOIDS!

Cappuccina
Minister

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cappuccina » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:35 pm

80s cars, music, and cinema!!! My favorite!
Muslim, Female, Trans, Not white..... oppression points x4!!!!
"Latinx" isn't a real word. :^)
Automobile & Music fan!!! ^_^
Also, an everything 1980s fan!!!
Left/Right: -5.25
SocLib/Auth: 2.46

Apparently, I'm an INFP

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:37 pm

I enjoy the 80s aesthetic very much so, especially the music, movies, fashion, and financial environment. I also believe that culturally America was a lot better than it is today.

However, the problem with the 80s is that a lot of what made the 80s great also ended up making our day and age not so great. Reagan set the precedent for amnesty and surrounded himself with the precursors to Bush-era neoconservatism.

The 1980s weren't necessarily great, but compared to today, they seemed normal. The 50s were known for being conformist, the 60s were hippy, and the 70s were disgusting. And modern America post-9/11 is a hot bed of paranoia, political division, culture wars, cultural displacement, and neocon wars.

I think the reason why late 80s-early 90s nostalgia is so strong because it was when America literally just seemed like a normal place that people more or less respected.
Last edited by Bear Stearns on Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:50 pm

You know that song you kids literally have to trick each other into listening to because it's so ridiculous? People listened to that on purpose in the 80s. It wasn't even that guys only hit. Oh yeah, and those legends David Bowie and Mick Jagger? They did this..

The 80s were ridiculous.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

The Traditional States
Lobbyist

Founded: May 06, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Traditional States » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:18 pm

I was not born in the 80s, but in all honesty, 80s had the best movies and music. Back to the Future is one of my favorite movies< I also enjoy a lot of the artists during the time, like Motley Crue, Foreigner, Iron Maiden, Van halen, etc. I dislike modern music tbh, chief.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:24 pm

It took the 90's to get back to the authenticity of 50's Beat culture, the 80's were the apotheosis of any concept of counter culture being commoditised into factories of corporate productisation.

Then 2001 happened and it all went to shit again.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:30 pm

Bombadil wrote:It took the 90's to get back to the authenticity of 50's Beat culture, the 80's were the apotheosis of any concept of counter culture being commoditised into factories of corporate productisation.

Certain cultural clashes were already in the making before 9/11 even started, so they would have still happened, but the attacks made everything much more extreme and also made our government more authoritarian. I'll bet that the modern free speech/hate speech debate wouldn't even exist if people didn't have the fear of terrorism in them and the government did already condition people with the PATRIOT Act. We'd still have the other cultural problems of today, like globalization, alt. right/social justice warriors, school shootings, but they likely wouldn't be as common.

On an interesting note, no 9/11 completely changes geopolitics. With no wars in the Middle East or issues with Islamism, China is the big clear enemy and Russia is a tentatively neutral to semi-Western power (it was trending that way until about 2003).
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Cynereth
Secretary

Founded: May 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Cynereth » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:32 pm

The period from 1983 to 2001 is probably the apex of culture. It was like one long gigantic victory party for the Cold War when things started calming down. The basis of the Digital Revolution was laid in this era for the most part: there was some awesome TV and film, incredible music, and the general vibe that things were A-OK. Not everything was copacetic, but it was still this seeming age of innocence.

Speaking as someone who is old enough to remember how things were pre-2001, and how things have been post-2001 in the U.S., I can say that the general mood in this country has never quite been the same. Even as technology has gotten so much better, it feels in a lot of ways that things have gone downhill.
NO HATE.- I -- L -- O -- V -- E -- U -NO FEAR.

THECONCORDANCEOFCYNERETH
PATHEAS CAISTUSAES CYNERETHESTHE GREATER ANARYSSIAN REALM

A New Member of the Roleplaying Region of Ajax.

IMPORTANTLINKS
Cynereth II Wiki|NS Factbook: Introduction|NS Factbook: Leadership|Roleplay Sign-Up Thread: Indomitable
POLITICALCOMPASS
Economic Left/Right: -4.13Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92Party Affiliation: Democratic / Labour

STRONGLYOPPOSE
Bigotry, Communism, Fascism, Homophobia, Nazism, Political Violence, Racism, Sexism

STRONGLYSUPPORT
Egalitarianism, Environmentalism, Gender Equality, Freedom of Speech, Intellectualism, LGBT+ Equality, Meritocracy, Religious Tolerance

"Make life an art, rather than art from life." — David Gilmour, Lead Guitarist, Pink Floyd

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:37 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Bombadil wrote:It took the 90's to get back to the authenticity of 50's Beat culture, the 80's were the apotheosis of any concept of counter culture being commoditised into factories of corporate productisation.

Certain cultural clashes were already in the making before 9/11 even started, so they would have still happened, but the attacks made everything much more extreme and also made our government more authoritarian. I'll bet that the modern free speech/hate speech debate wouldn't even exist if people didn't have the fear of terrorism in them and the government did already condition people with the PATRIOT Act. We'd still have the other cultural problems of today, like globalization, alt. right/social justice warriors, school shootings, but they likely wouldn't be as common.

On an interesting note, no 9/11 completely changes geopolitics. With no wars in the Middle East or issues with Islamism, China is the big clear enemy and Russia is a tentatively neutral to semi-Western power (it was trending that way until about 2003).

I've seen an argument - and I might go find it, might not - that actually Kosovo was the ignition point. It brought a lot of relatively modern thinking into the tactics of islamic terrorism and fuelled a belief that the West was ignoring the plight of Muslims on their very own doorstep. It created a focal point from which Al Qaeda could take stronger root.

Anyhoo.. the 80's were pretty shit.

I did go find something - https://www.usip.org/sites/default/file ... Kosovo.pdf
Last edited by Bombadil on Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:46 pm

what the 80s were memorable for me for, were 8-bit personal computers, and literary science fiction conventions.
those were the good side. the bad side was the knee jerk against what the 70s had accomplished.
this was in the u.s. other parts of the planet, milage may have varied considerably. as it does every decade.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:54 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

I've seen an argument - and I might go find it, might not - that actually Kosovo was the ignition point. It brought a lot of relatively modern thinking into the tactics of islamic terrorism and fuelled a belief that the West was ignoring the plight of Muslims on their very own doorstep. It created a focal point from which Al Qaeda could take stronger root.

Anyhoo.. the 80's were pretty shit.

I did go find something - https://www.usip.org/sites/default/file ... Kosovo.pdf

There is merit to this. Kosovo also heralded that even though the Cold War was over, NATO was still very much going to stick it to Russia (there was hope in the early 90s that Russia would be able to join NATO and become part of the West). Kosovo killed it.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:57 pm

The 80s also saw the explosion of AIDS, which freaked everyone the fuck out.. and set back equality by a good 20 years.

十年

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:32 pm

*sighs* I wouldn't mind an 80's thread. However, I must ask that one with a more developed OP be created.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General