NATION

PASSWORD

Currency change referendum

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Which new currency should Te Netherlands have in 2020?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:59 am

Euro
66%
Pound
18%
Dollar
16%

Total votes : 38

Te Netherlands
Envoy

Founded: Jul 31, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Currency change referendum

Postby Te Netherlands » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:59 am

There is a referendum in Te Netherlands concerning to change the currency to a new currency. There are three options: Euro, US Dollars or British Pound Sterling

Campaigns of the National parties, the colours are the following: Green is the US Dollar, $, Red is the British Pound Sterling, £, Blue is the Euro, €, the parties are highlighted in these colours from which currency they support. Black (and bolded) is neutral (which means they do not side with a specific currency)

CDP

"We have a long term relationship with the USA since the beginning of the United States America, and I think the bond should be stronger by introducing the Dollar in Te Netherlands. and we will make sure that it goes in a smooth and non-chaotic way. "

RKNP

"We like the idea of seeing $ everywhere before a price"

VVD

"We are a heavy supporter of the EU and the Euro, and we wish that we should introduce the Euro to show that we belong to Europe"

D66

"The EU is part of our lifestyle, economy and stuff. And so should the Euro!"

FvD

"We wish to not concern about the currency, as long as it is good for the economy, no matter if it is the Euro, British Pound or US Dollar. Te Netherlands should not turn into a chaos after the change!"

The change to the new currency is expecting to be happening on 1 January 2020
Official name: the Netherlands
After some disputes within the PVV and the CDP about the new political party (National Party of the Netherlands) PM Legtenberg announced that the name will be the Conservative Party. Because the initial NPN became associated with far-right parties NSB and NSDAP in the '30s and '40s. PM Legtenberg further announced that the Netherlands wil also be a Federal Republic from 1 January 2024. And that he will become the first President of the Netherlands. How this will affect the elections will be decided by him and the House

Te Netherlands
Envoy

Postby Te Netherlands » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:13 am

BREAKING NEWS!!

In Amsterdam, The Hague, Brussels, Groningen and all other cities, protests have begun against the change of currency and argue for the preservation of the Dutch guilder. A petition has also been launched against the change of currency and there are now around 5,000 signatures. And the number is growing at lightning speed. An emergency debate has started in the Lower House but also in the Flemish Parliament. The Prime Minister and the leaders of the parties have already responded:

Prime Minister Dave Hagen:
"It is a horror that suddenly chaos has developed, and we will do everything we can to get out of it peacefully."

Johan van Claerck:
"I agree with the words of the Prime Minister. But since the situation means that we should just abolish the referendum and if the referendum ends on 1 August, then we should look further"

Mark Rutte:
"That there are people who want to disrupt the referendum is extremely ridiculous, we have had the Dutch guilder for so long that it is time for a new currency. So I think it is better to ignore the demonstrators."

Rob Jetten:
"I can't say much about the situation. People actually protest without knowing why they are protesting."

Thierry Baudet:
"I join the CDP and RKNP. And we have to work it out together, and preferably peacefully."
Last edited by Te Netherlands on Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
After some disputes within the PVV and the CDP about the new political party (National Party of the Netherlands) PM Legtenberg announced that the name will be the Conservative Party. Because the initial NPN became associated with far-right parties NSB and NSDAP in the '30s and '40s. PM Legtenberg further announced that the Netherlands wil also be a Federal Republic from 1 January 2024. And that he will become the first President of the Netherlands. How this will affect the elections will be decided by him and the House

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:27 am

OOC: What exactly is the back story for the change in currency? Why is retention of the guilder not an option?
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:04 am

"All three options are terrible options. Choosing a foreign currency as your own only serves to surrender control of your nations' monetary policy to foreigners who may not necessary have your best interests at heart. Without control over your monetary policy, it will become very difficult for you to compete internationally or maintain any semblance of independence. My recommendation would be to create a currency of your own, with your own central bank."

- Unnamed Radiatian economist with nothing better to do

[OOC: My apologies, Me + Whiskey + Nationstates = Bad combination.]
Last edited by Radiatia on Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Te Netherlands
Envoy

Postby Te Netherlands » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:41 am

Radiatia wrote:"All three options are terrible options. Choosing a foreign currency as your own only serves to surrender control of your nations' monetary policy to foreigners who may not necessary have your best interests at heart. Without control over your monetary policy, it will become very difficult for you to compete internationally or maintain any semblance of independence. My recommendation would be to create a currency of your own, with your own central bank."

- Unnamed Radiatian economist with nothing better to do

[[b]OOC: My apologies, Me + Whiskey + Nationstates = Bad combination.][/b]

OOC:

Yeah I know, I have it too (though I don't drink whiskey)

IC:

"These options are made by people who wish to have a different currency in their nation, but there are now a plenty of people protesting about it, and the government is now looking for a way to handle this peacefully and that it goes peacefully"

- Minister of Internal Affairs Jaap van Hertium (RKNP)

Bastarneia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bastarneia » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:19 pm

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration put out the following statement:
"We, the Bastarneian Ministry for Foreign Affairs, highly recommend the Euro as an alternative to the Pound Sterling or the United States Dollar as a currency for our friends and brethren in the Netherlands, citing a strong pan-European identity which may be fostered by the entrance of the Dutch realm into the monetary union. We furthermore suggest that the Dutch nation remain wary of the Anglosphere, which is a power in decline, in favour of looking to a future in Europe."
Kingdom of Bastarneia
Factbook link: HERE
TL;DR: An Ostrogothic holdout in OTL Western Ukraine

Kaiserholt
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kaiserholt » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:29 pm

It is Kaiserholt's opinion that considering the EU's current distress, it might be wiser to go with the Pound standard.
"Hello, Masaki home. Oh, that sounds like if I were married to the family. How embarrassing. What do you think? Do you think it sounds that way?"

"I have been many things in my life, Mollari. I have been silly. I have been quiet when I should have spoken. I have been foolish. And I have wasted far too much time. But I am still Centauri. And I am not afraid."

"You are elevating futility to a high art. There is nothing you can do to prevent the catharsis of spurious morality."

Te Netherlands
Envoy

Postby Te Netherlands » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:34 pm

Votes have been counted

The majority of votes have opted for the introduction of the Euro. The government will negotiate with the European Union about when the Euro will be introduced in the Netherlands. In The Hague, Rotterdam, Amsterdam and Brussels the protests have become more and more. The government has promised the demonstrators to include their vote in the negotiations with the European Union. According to the old article of the constitution from 1748 that is still in force, the Netherlands may keep the current currency for at least 5 years. So if everything goes well, the Euro becomes the new currency of the Netherlands in 1924

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information