NATION

PASSWORD

Time To Betray Your Party?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Would you mobilize your die-hard voters against Christian?

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes : 26

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Time To Betray Your Party?

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:00 pm

You are a young and rising political star in an East Asian democracy.

You are relatively inexperienced but your fresh approach, strong public speaking, and unorthodox approach to politics appeals with the younger generation. As a member of the Blue Party, you often gain political points with your voters by challenging the establishment and the entrenched party leaders.

After serving as a popular mayor for some year, you decide it is time to run for the Presidency.

The Blue Party is hesitant to support you because of your reputation as a maverick (however, on the whole your policies are closer to the Blue Party then to those of their opposition, the Green Party). However, they reluctantly decide to back you because the Green Party is very strong right now and they need a strong candidate, someone who has a chance of turning the critical swing voters.

After having reached an understanding that there won't be a primary (or that there will only be a "for show" primary), you travel to the USA to raise your public profile internationally, setting yourself up for the Presidential.

While you are in the USA, the Blue Party elites take advantage of your absence and find someone else to run for the Blue Party. CEO Christian is an aging corporate magnate and the wealthiest person in the nation. He has a legendary reputation among the population as a legend in the business world.

Unlike you, CEO Christian has never been a maverick and he will likely defer to the entrenched party elites on all matters. He's easier to control and he has no rhetoric about reforming the Blue Party after being elected.

You rush back from the USA but by that time CEO Christian has very publicly declared that he's running in the primaries with the blessing of the party elites. All of the Blue channels (presumably with the directives from the elites) start subtly or blatantly denouncing you and propping up this new candidate.

This little stunt by the Blue Party causes confusion and chaos among the Blue Party voter base with some people backing you and others backing CEO Christian. The elites stop talking to you (except for a few of them), on the whole, they seem to want Christian to win the primary.

The primaries happen and you lose by a very narrow margin.

CEO Christian becomes the candidate and he runs against the Green Party in the presidential. However, analysts say that while Christian is more popular with the Blue voters, he's less able to swing the swing voters and so now it looks like the Green Party is going to win. Many people think that the Blue Party's tricks with sending you to the USA may have been an act of shooting themselves in the foot.

The Blue Party also did not predict that you have developed a "cult" following of die hard voters. These "die hard" voters state that unless you tell them to support CEO Christian, they are either going to withhold their vote or even go as far as go and vote for the Green Party instead. They strongly dislike the Blue Party elites and are very pissed off that they "stabbed you" in the back.

After losing the primaries, you have yet to make a public statement.

The discussion question is this:

Assuming that under the rules of the system you can NEVER again run for President or enter any primaries... do you tell all Blue Party voters (specifically your die-hard voters) to back CEO Christian?

Or do you encourage them to protest against the Blue Party by not voting (railing against the corruption in the Blue Party)?

Please assume that the die-hard voters would do what you tell them to do.

Also, assume that your political views are closer to those of the Blue Party... the Green Party's views are opposite to the Blue Party but not far from the center line of politics (so think Republicans vs Democrats type of divide).

As things stand, CEO Christian is slightly disadvantaged vs the Green Party. If you mobilize the Blue Party die hard fans then you can further destabilize him.

Please provide a justification for your decision.

I believe in good sportsmanship so I would avoid mobilizing the voters against Christian. I would probably just issue a token statement to keep voting for the Blue Party but leave it at that. I would be annoyed that the Blue Party management may have derailed their own campaign by introducing this CEO at this point, but they may pay a price for that later. However, I would not badmouth.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magocratic Aidonaia
Secretary

Founded: Jul 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Magocratic Aidonaia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:04 pm

Even supposing I agree with blue parties politics I don’t see why I should support their corruption. Hence I abstained from voting for Hillary. I can at at least appreciate this progressive run more, even if I consider the vast number of candidates a bit odd.
Last edited by Magocratic Aidonaia on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EastKekistan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby EastKekistan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:08 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:You are a young and rising political star in an East Asian democracy.

You are relatively inexperienced but your fresh approach, strong public speaking, and unorthodox approach to politics appeals with the younger generation. As a member of the Blue Party, you often gain political points with your voters by challenging the establishment and the entrenched party leaders.

After serving as a popular mayor for some year, you decide it is time to run for the Presidency.

The Blue Party is hesitant to support you because of your reputation as a maverick (however, on the whole your policies are closer to the Blue Party then to those of their opposition, the Green Party). However, they reluctantly decide to back you because the Green Party is very strong right now and they need a strong candidate, someone who has a chance of turning the critical swing voters.

After having reached an understanding that there won't be a primary (or that there will only be a "for show" primary), you travel to the USA to raise your public profile internationally, setting yourself up for the Presidential.

While you are in the USA, the Blue Party elites take advantage of your absence and find someone else to run for the Blue Party. CEO Christian is an aging corporate magnate and the wealthiest person in the nation. He has a legendary reputation among the population as a legend in the business world.

Unlike you, CEO Christian has never been a maverick and he will likely defer to the entrenched party elites on all matters. He's easier to control and he has no rhetoric about reforming the Blue Party after being elected.

You rush back from the USA but by that time CEO Christian has very publicly declared that he's running in the primaries with the blessing of the party elites. All of the Blue channels (presumably with the directives from the elites) start subtly or blatantly denouncing you and propping up this new candidate.

This little stunt by the Blue Party causes confusion and chaos among the Blue Party voter base with some people backing you and others backing CEO Christian. The elites stop talking to you (except for a few of them), on the whole, they seem to want Christian to win the primary.

CEO Christian becomes the candidate and he runs against the Green Party in the presidential. However, analysts say that while Christian is more popular with the Blue voters, he's less able to swing the swing voters and so now it looks like the Green Party is going to win. Many people think that the Blue Party's tricks with sending you to the USA may have been an act of shooting themselves in the foot.

The Blue Party also did not predict that you have developed a "cult" following of die hard voters. These "die hard" voters state that unless you tell them to support CEO Christian, they are either going to withhold their vote or even go as far as go and vote for the Green Party instead. They strongly dislike the Blue Party elites and are very pissed off that they "stabbed you" in the back.

Assuming that under the rules of the system you can NEVER again run for President or enter any primaries... do you tell all Blue Party voters (specifically your die-hard voters) to back CEO Christian?

Or do you encourage them to protest against the Blue Party by not voting (railing against the corruption in the Blue Party)?

Also, assume that your political views are closer to those of the Blue Party... the Green Party's views are opposite to the Blue Party but not far from the center line of politics (so think Republicans vs Democrats type of divide).

As things stand, CEO Christian is slightly disadvantaged vs the Green Party. If you mobilize the Blue Party die hard fans then you can further destabilize him.

I believe in good sportsmanship so I would avoid mobilizing the voters against Christian. I would probably just issue a token statement to keep voting for the Blue Party but leave it at that. I would be annoyed that the Blue Party management may have derailed their own campaign by introducing this CEO at this point, but they may pay a price for that later. However, I would not badmouth.

Are you talking about Taiwan and Terry Gou? Don't vote for him or anyone else in the KMT. I think communists have bought off Terry Gou AND the KMT. Please consistently vote for DPP.
Last edited by EastKekistan on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1. 85% of the moon
2. 45% of Mars
3. The rest of the Solar System (Solar System is Division 0)
4. 27 other divisions (Division 1-27)
An alliance of racially Northeast Asian countries friendly with White Nationalists, Zionists and nationalists in the Middle East and India.
We are an alliance of rich, safe and clean nations. Rapid scientific development, space exploration, modern cities, skyscrapers and high-speed trains..you will enjoy ultra-modern life if you come and visit us.
We were a Tier 7, Level 0, Type 8 civilization according to this index. Our old map News By 3173 we rule over the universe.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:09 pm

Yes, I would betray the party. You screw me, and I'll screw you in return.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:15 pm

EastKekistan wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:You are a young and rising political star in an East Asian democracy.

Are you talking about Taiwan and Terry Gou? Don't vote for him or anyone else in the KMT. I think communists have bought off Terry Gou AND the KMT. Please consistently vote for DPP.

It’s inspired by ROC politics but I wanted to generalize it so that the “Blue Party” can be a liberal party too
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EastKekistan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby EastKekistan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:18 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
EastKekistan wrote:

It’s inspired by ROC politics but I wanted to generalize it so that the “Blue Party” can be a liberal party too

LOL. I support soc lib policies in NE Asia as long as it doesn't involve open borders to SE Asians or other high fertility rate people.

However right now what matters the most is combating two regimes, PRC and DPRK, that is, pseudo-China and pseudo-Korea.

Look at the shit in Hong Kong. Communist dictatorships are the worst enemies of NE Asian people.
1. 85% of the moon
2. 45% of Mars
3. The rest of the Solar System (Solar System is Division 0)
4. 27 other divisions (Division 1-27)
An alliance of racially Northeast Asian countries friendly with White Nationalists, Zionists and nationalists in the Middle East and India.
We are an alliance of rich, safe and clean nations. Rapid scientific development, space exploration, modern cities, skyscrapers and high-speed trains..you will enjoy ultra-modern life if you come and visit us.
We were a Tier 7, Level 0, Type 8 civilization according to this index. Our old map News By 3173 we rule over the universe.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:27 pm

I start the Cyan Party.

Infected Mushroom wrote:Assuming that under the rules of the system you can NEVER again run for President or enter any primaries... do you tell all Blue Party voters (specifically your die-hard voters) to back CEO Christian?

No.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:32 pm

Easy. I never run for president in the first place. That wouldn't be a good idea anyway. :p
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Raider Clans
Attaché

Founded: Jun 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Raider Clans » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:34 pm

Sounds like it's time for me to start my own party and wrest control from the blues.
The Raider Clans: Voted most likely to run over your dog in a heavily modified 2003 Honda Civic!

anarchy 4 life
WE ARE NOT PIRATES
Use the preview button you apes!

The Chuck
Minister

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Chuck » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:36 pm

4 Words. "Under the table dealings."

Tell the elite of the party you'll swing your supporter base if you make off like a bandit... Live comfortably and put this chapter of your life behind you. :P
I advocate for violence every single day. I work in the arms industry.
In-Character Advertisement Space:
The Chuck wholly endorses Wolf Armaments, Lauzanexport CDT, and
Silverport Dockyards Ltd.

"Keep your guns... and buy more guns!" - Kitty Werthmann, Austrian Nazi Regime Survivor
Roof Korea, Best Korea. Hippity Hoppity, 내 재산에서 꺼져.
Pro: Liberty/Freedoms of the Individual, Unrestricted firearms ownership
-Slava-
Ukraini

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:39 pm

The party’s corrupt and betrayed their ideology and me. Of course I’ll fucking mobilise my supporters against them.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:40 pm

Raider Clans wrote:Sounds like it's time for me to start my own party and wrest control from the blues.

Ever heard of the Spoiler Effect?
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.

This user is a male.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:44 pm

Where is the sentence saying "Please consider the following hypothetical:" !?
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:48 pm

Pacomia wrote:
Raider Clans wrote:Sounds like it's time for me to start my own party and wrest control from the blues.

That my goal.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:51 pm

This isn't even a hypothetical for me, as I've been in and observed similar situations back in my own political days (and worked for a prominent politician where I live who was himself cast in almost an exact copy of this situation).

What happened was a third option - the die-hard group of supporters (which included myself) went away from the Blue Party and formed a new political party (Let's call it the Yellow Party).

The assumption was that this would lead to a split in the Blue Vote which would benefit the Green Party, though as it happened in real life in my example it turned out that the Green Party were so incompetent that the Blue Party still managed to sneak in by one vote anyway, while the new Yellow Party sat on the cross benches because despite all predictions, they actually took more Green than Blue votes.

Tl;dr though, principle wins out for me - I'm loyal to my country, not to my party.

Raider Clans
Attaché

Founded: Jun 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Raider Clans » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:51 pm

Pacomia wrote:

If the blues lose this election they're weakened, making it the perfect time for me to strike back and take control.
The Raider Clans: Voted most likely to run over your dog in a heavily modified 2003 Honda Civic!

anarchy 4 life
WE ARE NOT PIRATES
Use the preview button you apes!

Saciu
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 28, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Saciu » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:52 pm

I'd denounce the corruption of the blue party. I'd probably have said that they were rigged as soon as I knew.
C'est Saciu, previously The South Pacific's most influential trans person (then my account got zucc'd)
Pro: idk. trans rights ig.Internationalism, liberalism, etc
Neutral: idk.
Anti: idk. Nationalism, populism etc about 90% of my opinions have changed since i was last here but now im basically globohomo

Political compass: 0.75, -8.31 lmao this was years ago im easily lib left according to when i last took it but also the compass is terrible
SC/EN-Saciu
FR/ES-Saquiu
PT/CA-Sáquio
IT-Sacchio
DE/SV/NL/PL/SW-Sakiu
AR-ساكيو
HI-साकिउ
RU-Сакиу
JA-さきう
EL-Σάκιο
BN-সাকিউ
ZH-撒库
TR: Sakyı

Anarcho-Syndicalist Unions
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 07, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Anarcho-Syndicalist Unions » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:01 am

I would found my own party.

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:03 am

Anarcho-Syndicalist Unions wrote:I would found my own party.

Wow! You’ve found the way to do nothing!

This user is a male.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:07 am

Pacomia wrote:
Anarcho-Syndicalist Unions wrote:I would found my own party.

Wow! You’ve found the way to do nothing!

You mean the way that does most damage? You denounce the Blues by the time the election comes around even your most diehard supporters will probably vote Blue to keep Green out of Power. You start you're own party you effectively guarantee Green wins.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:16 am

Heloin wrote:
Pacomia wrote:Wow! You’ve found the way to do nothing!

You mean the way that does most damage? You denounce the Blues by the time the election comes around even your most diehard supporters will probably vote Blue to keep Green out of Power. You start you're own party you effectively guarantee Green wins.

I've designed the OP's rules to be very simplistic (probably at the cost of realism).

Basically, its a premise that the "die-hard" voters would do what you tell them to do. So for the sake of the hypothetical, you don't need to bother with forming a new party if you say "vote Green" or "don't vote," they would obey.

You're assumed to have huge personalized influence over these decisive voters (not all of them, but the ironclad supporters).

As for forming your own party, you can do it as a gambit to hurt the Blue Party if you want to go through with the effort.

However, remember that the OP says you cannot run in any primaries again. So at best you can prop up a new presidential candidate for the new party.

But then again, why both? Since if you did that, it would likely result in a Green victory through vote splitting (assuming your new party gains any traction).

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:19 am

Heloin wrote:
Pacomia wrote:Wow! You’ve found the way to do nothing!

Sure, that’s the spoiler effect in action. But if you create your own party, it’s not guaranteed because the supporters who would have otherwise abstained/voted for the Green Party are now voting for your party, making the numbers around 50/50 and you’d have no way to know who would win.

This user is a male.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:21 am

Pacomia wrote:
Heloin wrote:You mean the way that does most damage? You denounce the Blues by the time the election comes around even your most diehard supporters will probably vote Blue to keep Green out of Power. You start you're own party you effectively guarantee Green wins.

Sure, that’s the spoiler effect in action. But if you create your own party, it’s not guaranteed because the supporters who would have otherwise abstained/voted for the Green Party are now voting for your party, making the numbers around 50/50 and you’d have no way to know who would win.

I mean, you could just tell them to vote Green (or not vote)

its the same end result

(assuming your not thinking of winning the election anyways with the new party and just want to ruin the Blue Party's chances further)

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:28 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:You mean the way that does most damage? You denounce the Blues by the time the election comes around even your most diehard supporters will probably vote Blue to keep Green out of Power. You start you're own party you effectively guarantee Green wins.

I've designed the OP's rules to be very simplistic (probably at the cost of realism).

Basically, its a premise that the "die-hard" voters would do what you tell them to do. So for the sake of the hypothetical, you don't need to bother with forming a new party if you say "vote Green" or "don't vote," they would obey.

You're assumed to have huge personalized influence over these decisive voters (not all of them, but the ironclad supporters).

As for forming your own party, you can do it as a gambit to hurt the Blue Party if you want to go through with the effort.

If you want to over simplify it then you do you. I'm not going to consider any of that however.

However, remember that the OP says you cannot run in any primaries again. So at best you can prop up a new presidential candidate for the new party.

I already stated that I don't care about the rules. Mostly because that rule is stupid and takes away a lot of the fun that can be had.

But then again, why both? Since if you did that, it would likely result in a Green victory through vote splitting (assuming your new party gains any traction).

It doesn't even matter if I don't gain too much traction, you've already told us that we hold enough sway to lose Blue the election. After some gains in Parliament we'll just be a wonderful thorn in the side of the Blue Party. And when the next General election rolls round Blue will be left needing the Cyan party back in it's fold. So it's coalition time baby!

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:31 am

Pacomia wrote:

That's not how the maths works. My supporters are supposedly all Blue Party voters and apparently will vote for me since the OP states they are going to do what I say. It won't sink the Blue Party but it will cost them the election.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General