NATION

PASSWORD

Jetpacks? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Jetpacks...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:24 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Ever shot clays? Aerial targets are difficult to hit, to say nothing of an aerial target that's intentionally evading you.

Just fire a stinger at it.

Fair enough. That's an expensive way to kill one dude, though.
Insert trite farewell here

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:29 pm

Scomagia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Just fire a stinger at it.

Fair enough. That's an expensive way to kill one dude, though.

Well it's also destroying what is likely a very expensive bit of kit.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:42 pm

Scomagia wrote:Fair enough. That's an expensive way to kill one dude, though.

Well it's also destroying what is likely a very expensive bit of kit.

I think the units run about $250,000. Not that expensive relative to other hardware.

Stingers run about $38,000.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Scomagia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Well it's also destroying what is likely a very expensive bit of kit.

I think the units run about $250,000. Not that expensive relative to other hardware.

Investing 38 grand to destroy 250 grand is a win in my book. :)
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Scomagia wrote:I think the units run about $250,000. Not that expensive relative to other hardware.

Investing 38 grand to destroy 250 grand is a win in my book. :)

Hard to argue against that.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:43 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Kernen wrote:I can't see a jetboard actually used in combat. What a target that guy makes.

But as a proof of concept for micro jet turbines on drones? Very impressive.

Ever shot clays? Aerial targets are difficult to hit, to say nothing of an aerial target that's intentionally evading you.

I don't need to hit it with one shotgun shell. I can pop at it all day with a rifle.

Here's the thing. You can't move that thing fast if you want to aim or land or turn. Look how hard it is for him to redirect. That's what makes him a target. He's got *no* cover when airborne and no way to evade when he's trying to land or shoot back.

Bad platform is bad.

Of course, on a drone, those rotors would be impressive. Especially for resupplying a unit remotely.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:53 pm

Kernen wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Ever shot clays? Aerial targets are difficult to hit, to say nothing of an aerial target that's intentionally evading you.

I don't need to hit it with one shotgun shell. I can pop at it all day with a rifle.

Here's the thing. You can't move that thing fast if you want to aim or land or turn. Look how hard it is for him to redirect. That's what makes him a target. He's got *no* cover when airborne and no way to evade when he's trying to land or shoot back.

Bad platform is bad.

Of course, on a drone, those rotors would be impressive. Especially for resupplying a unit remotely.

That's fair. What do you think of the potential civilian applications? Would you ride one?

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:27 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Kernen wrote:

Bad platform is bad.

That's fair. What do you think of the potential civilian applications? Would you ride one?

No, because I dont feel like dying. It runs too low for a parachute and too fast for a kevlar suit to be useful for more than road rash. The helmet is basically guaranteed to be insufficient when you inevitably fall.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:39 pm

Kernen wrote:
Scomagia wrote:That's fair. What do you think of the potential civilian applications? Would you ride one?

No, because I dont feel like dying. It runs too low for a parachute and too fast for a kevlar suit to be useful for more than road rash. The helmet is basically guaranteed to be insufficient when you inevitably fall.

Where's your sense of adventure?

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:56 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Kernen wrote:

Where's your sense of adventure?

Packed away in my closet. It clashed with my sense of self-preservation and desire to ever walk again.

Lawful Evil

Le Slavador
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Le Slavador » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:10 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:If jet packs were like they do in the movies, and theres not that high of amount of accidents from them, then possibly yes. It’d be cool to fly around without having anything large to support, or with anyone else.

However, I like the current way of transport. Buses and trains are okay to me, and they’re my favourite. So I’d take more time to consider this if I would.

Sigh. I'm a civilian, and the chances of me getting my own jet board is low in the near future. My pessimistic side says it might take a decade or more to refine it for widespread distribution (if it ever gets a go-signal to be sold to civilians).

So, yes, like you I'll take more time to think about this one, if it ever becomes easily available in the future.
I wanna be an ersatz republic (IC). I'm a male man who likes spontaneity (OOC). Can you guess the flag model? (IC).
This is a joke nation (OOC). Issues answered randomly (IC).

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:36 am

A must have for paparazzi photographers.
Everything is intertwinkled

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General