NATION

PASSWORD

[draft] A climate of dissent

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

[draft] A climate of dissent

Postby Hediacrana » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:19 pm

Suggestions welcome, especially for effect lines, as currently I can't seem to come up with any good ones!

TITLE
A climate of dissent

VALIDITY
Follow-up to 766:4; has devolution.

INTRO
Your withdrawal from the international climate treaty has sparked fierce domestic opposition. In @@Animal@@fornia, a part of the country that is increasingly ridden by wildfires, the governor even took to the international stage, meeting with foreign heads of state and openly vowing that local authorities in @@nation@@ will continue to uphold the treaty's terms, "regardless of @@leader@@'s utterly irresponsible decisions."

OPTION ONE
- On the morning news, you see yet another interview with the governor, currently on an international climate conference in Daguo. "By leaving the treaty, our national government knowingly put the future of humanity at risk. But it is not too late, not yet; I urge @@leader@@ to finally see reason and re-ratify the treaty. After all, there is no shame whatsoever in publicly recognizing you were dead wrong and endangered the future of the very planet."

OPTION TWO
- "Clearly, you can't be seen to tolerate this kind of subversion!" argues your Minister of Mining, turning off the television. "I suggest you show those coastal hippies who's boss: cut all federal investments in @@animal@@fornia, relax industrial pollution standards across the country, and use the freed resources to subsidize the coal industry. It will be your legacy!"

OPTION THREE
- "Nah, the real issue here is that too much power made the locals cocky," says your deputy chief of staff, who proudly hasn't left @@capital@@ since the day you took office. "Just banish that governor for treason, lock up any other local official who dares to criticize our great policies, and place their constituencies directly under your firm hand."
Last edited by Hediacrana on Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:11 pm

I wouldn't specify that @@ANIMAL@@fornia is coastal. Considering that bushes prone to bush fire usually happen on the west coast of things, (unless your Australia, where they effect the whole country), then we shouldn't assume that @@NAME@@ has a west coast. The name @@ANIMAL@@fornia makes enough assumptions
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:26 am

INTRO
Your withdrawal from the international climate treaty has sparked fierce domestic opposition. In @@Animal@@fornia, a part of the country that is increasingly ridden by wildfires, the governor even took to the international stage, meeting with foreign heads of state and openly vowing that local authorities in @@nation@@ will continue to uphold the treaty's terms, "regardless of @@leader@@'s utterly irresponsible decisions."

No need to be quite so blatant with the "hey you're the US and the state is California" expy. Also, you're providing too much extraneous information, and presenting statements that belong in the options rather than the premise.

Wind it back instead, with something like:

While you have chosen not to commit @@NAME@@ to the International Climate Treaty, some devolved provinces within your nation are dissenting.

Then you have:
First speaker explain that he is committing his province to the treaty, regardless of your utter irresponsibility.
Second speaker then says that they're jeopardising the national economy by going against your policies, and insists that they be prevented from imposing their environmental legislation.
Third speaker then gives some other position.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:10 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
INTRO

No need to be quite so blatant with the "hey you're the US and the state is California" expy. Also, you're providing too much extraneous information, and presenting statements that belong in the options rather than the premise.

While you have chosen not to commit @@NAME@@ to the International Climate Treaty, some devolved provinces within your nation are dissenting.

Then you have:
First speaker explain that he is committing his province to the treaty, regardless of your utter irresponsibility.
Second speaker then says that they're jeopardising the national economy by going against your policies, and insists that they be prevented from imposing their environmental legislation.

Thanks, I'll try and implement that. So speaking of 'provincesis' would be okay, then? I tried to avoid making assumptions about how the devolved areas were called (states, districts, provinces, what have you), though just going with one would help in avoiding awkward writing.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:33 am

Hediacrana wrote:Thanks, I'll try and implement that. So speaking of 'provincesis' would be okay, then? I tried to avoid making assumptions about how the devolved areas were called (states, districts, provinces, what have you), though just going with one would help in avoiding awkward writing.

I recommend not using @@ANIMAL@@fornia. One solution is to name the area using a direction. Example phrases include "the devolved government of Northeast @@NAME@@ has decided to" and "the leader of the devolved government." Now, one does not have to use words like "province," "state," or "governor."
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:27 am

Great title.

Hediacrana wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:

Then you have:

Thanks, I'll try and implement that. So speaking of 'provincesis' would be okay, then? I tried to avoid making assumptions about how the devolved areas were called (states, districts, provinces, what have you), though just going with one would help in avoiding awkward writing.

You can still call them states- or anything else- if you want, but otherwise my thoughts line up with Candlewhisper's here. If you want to keep the whole inciting incident and analogues with good old Cali, you could change that introduction to be something along the lines of:

After a fierce wildfire struck the nation's west, the local governor has announced that the province will now be following the International Climate Treaty.

Can be state if you want but yeah. At the moment this issue is too obviously the US.
Last edited by Chan Island on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:57 am

"Province" has significant precedence in the issue base, "state" doesn't (or rather it does, but only in referring to the whole nation). District has also been used, but applying to a wider ranger of geographical areas, whereas mostly devolved regions have been called provinces.

Honestly, "region" would have been the best word, but it's too closely tied to the NS game mechanics.

As Baggie says, best to cleverly write to avoid a specific noun at all, but if you need to use a specific noun, use province or district.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?