NATION

PASSWORD

Brisbane's Anti-Adani Protestors Glued to street...Again

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:52 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Kowani wrote:And? Do you think white moderates in the US weren’t inconvenienced by marching?

How so?

If your protest doesn't inconvenience anyone, then it's not much of a protest, is it? If you're only willing to fight up to the point where it starts being a nuisance for anyone else, your convictions are probably rather lacking.

Australian rePublic wrote:
Kowani wrote:Not really.

Yes really. Let's see:
1. MLK's supporters moved. Once they'd finished in one area, they moved onto the next area. They didn't block the same busy throughfare all day. MLK's intention was to mobalise the gluers' intention was to inconvience

What do you think sit-ins were?

2. The sheer scale of the MLK protest pretty much gave them no choice but to block the road. The same can't be said about this minority of nutjobs

I'm sorry, please, can you explain what you mean by "the MLK protest"? You seem a bit unversed in this particular area of American history, my friend.
3. Cars were still taking off in the 1960's. Nothing like the car culture we have today

...are you fucking kidding me. 1960s America was obsessed with cars to a pretty crazy extent. We'd just built the interstates because we were fucking worshiping at the altar of the cult of the automobile.

4. MLK's protestors were capable of moving out of the way if someone wanted to pass. This means that the only thing preventing them from moving would be if they had too many people to be able to reasonably move. This is very different to the people of Brisbane who are a handful of nutjobs with super glue. The BrisbanBrisbanevery easily be able to move out of the way if it wasn't for the super glue. Scale is very important. If MLK had as few protestors as Brisbane, they would have easily been able to move off the road, if not, avoid it all together

What does this have to do with it...? Civil rights protesters were often quite dogged about not moving from where they were, even when they have fire hoses and tear gas turned on them.
5. MLK's happened on a Sunday, not peak hour

Oh sweet Jesus do you literally think the man literally only led one fucking protest lmao
6. MLK was as against inconviencing unassociated persons as one can be. I'm sure he wouldn't have done anything to inconvience unassociated people if it was possible. Intent plays a big role into this. If MLK's group was small enough to march exclusively on the footpath, I'm sure they would have. I don't think they intended to be nuicenses, which is in stark contrast to Brisbane

...do you know anything about MLK?
And yet, I would criticise MLK if it was possible for him not to block the road. Just because I like the guy, doesn't mean I can agree with everything he did.

lmfao at least you're open about it I guess

I think MLK won due to scale, rather than being a nuisance

Scale causes nuisances, and nuisances draw attention, because usually when people believe in something strongly enough to cause the rest of society nuisances, people get curious about it.

Shutting a street down for a few minutes so you can march across it is very different to gluing yourself to the city's busiest throughfare until you're moved by the police. If I had to chose the group who were going to block my commute, I would much, much rather the large group who would be out of the way within 10 minutes to the small group who intended to be there indeffinately, and if you were in that situation, I bet you dollars to donuts that you would act in the exact same manner. Are you seriously suggeating that blocking a throughfare for 10-20 minutes on a Sunday is the same as blocking the city's busiest throughfare, shutting down the entire city for hours on end, or until you're moved by the cops?

Yeah, I don't think this is really about "which option gives you the driver an optimal commute," though.

Okay, but let's call your bluff. How would you like it if the shoe was on the other foot? How would you act if pro-Adani protestors glued themselves to Queen St.

If I were driving I'd be little annoyed, but I'd still respect it as a legitimate form of protest, even if I didn't like it-- I'd probably assume they'd been astroturfed by the fossil fuel lobby, but I'd at least look into it to see what was up (and see if anyone was organizing a counterprotest). They get arrested and make their point, some people are inconvenienced, life goes on.

I mean, I've seen the consequences of idiots blocking the street all day. Once, in the area where I live, idiots who desided to party, with drums, in the middle of the street, all day, in order to celebrate the success of the favourite sports team. This made driving very difficult for everyone in the area. I've also been verbally abused for beeping sober morons (and, no, they were not protesting anything) who were casually strolling in the middle of the street, in the direction of cars, (as if they were strolling in the park), despite the fact that they're was a perfectly good, unused sidewalk right next to them.

Well, let's just stop trying to move society forward and draw attention to important policy issues then, because God forbid it cause you any minor inconveniences.

I would take a group of marching protestors, who actually move their arses as fast as reasonably possible, over any of these idiots any day.

Now I just think you've never seen a real protest march lol
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

The Realm of Platinum
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of Platinum » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:27 pm

As I said, disrupt the assholes, comrade! Disrupt Adani, not the public (one of the commuters could be an anti-Adani keyboard warrior deluxe)!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:40 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:How so?

If your protest doesn't inconvenience anyone, then it's not much of a protest, is it? If you're only willing to fight up to the point where it starts being a nuisance for anyone else, your convictions are probably rather lacking.

I would disagree with that

Australian rePublic wrote:Yes really. Let's see:
1. MLK's supporters moved. Once they'd finished in one area, they moved onto the next area. They didn't block the same busy throughfare all day. MLK's intention was to mobalise the gluers' intention was to inconvience

What do you think sit-ins were?

2. The sheer scale of the MLK protest pretty much gave them no choice but to block the road. The same can't be said about this minority of nutjobs

I'm sorry, please, can you explain what you mean by "the MLK protest"? You seem a bit unversed in this particular area of American history, my friend.

Non-American's knowledge of American history. Quick, alert the authorities

3. Cars were still taking off in the 1960's. Nothing like the car culture we have today

...are you fucking kidding me. 1960s America was obsessed with cars to a pretty crazy extent. We'd just built the interstates because we were fucking worshiping at the altar of the cult of the automobile.

I thought they were built for military purpose

4. MLK's protestors were capable of moving out of the way if someone wanted to pass. This means that the only thing preventing them from moving would be if they had too many people to be able to reasonably move. This is very different to the people of Brisbane who are a handful of nutjobs with super glue. The BrisbanBrisbanevery easily be able to move out of the way if it wasn't for the super glue. Scale is very important. If MLK had as few protestors as Brisbane, they would have easily been able to move off the road, if not, avoid it all together

What does this have to do with it...? Civil rights protesters were often quite dogged about not moving from where they were, even when they have fire hoses and tear gas turned on them.

Once again, fine, as long as your small group doesn't disrupt other people

5. MLK's happened on a Sunday, not peak hour

Oh sweet Jesus do you literally think the man literally only led one fucking protest lmao

6. MLK was as against inconviencing unassociated persons as one can be. I'm sure he wouldn't have done anything to inconvience unassociated people if it was possible. Intent plays a big role into this. If MLK's group was small enough to march exclusively on the footpath, I'm sure they would have. I don't think they intended to be nuicenses, which is in stark contrast to Brisbane

...do you know anything about MLK?

Non-American's knowledge of American history is lacking. Quick, alert the authorities

And yet, I would criticise MLK if it was possible for him not to block the road. Just because I like the guy, doesn't mean I can agree with everything he did.

lmfao at least you're open about it I guess

WTF is this comment? What, I'm supposed to agree with every little thing the guy did, am I?

I think MLK won due to scale, rather than being a nuisance

Scale causes nuisances, and nuisances draw attention, because usually when people believe in something strongly enough to cause the rest of society nuisances, people get curious about it.

Or they get the shits

Shutting a street down for a few minutes so you can march across it is very different to gluing yourself to the city's busiest throughfare until you're moved by the police. If I had to chose the group who were going to block my commute, I would much, much rather the large group who would be out of the way within 10 minutes to the small group who intended to be there indeffinately, and if you were in that situation, I bet you dollars to donuts that you would act in the exact same manner. Are you seriously suggeating that blocking a throughfare for 10-20 minutes on a Sunday is the same as blocking the city's busiest throughfare, shutting down the entire city for hours on end, or until you're moved by the cops?

Yeah, I don't think this is really about "which option gives you the driver an optimal commute," though.

Okay, but let's call your bluff. How would you like it if the shoe was on the other foot? How would you act if pro-Adani protestors glued themselves to Queen St.

If I were driving I'd be little annoyed, but I'd still respect it as a legitimate form of protest, even if I didn't like it-- I'd probably assume they'd been astroturfed by the fossil fuel lobby, but I'd at least look into it to see what was up (and see if anyone was organizing a counterprotest). They get arrested and make their point, some people are inconvenienced, life goes on.

Ok, so what if you were late for work, stuck in the traffic jam

I mean, I've seen the consequences of idiots blocking the street all day. Once, in the area where I live, idiots who desided to party, with drums, in the middle of the street, all day, in order to celebrate the success of the favourite sports team. This made driving very difficult for everyone in the area. I've also been verbally abused for beeping sober morons (and, no, they were not protesting anything) who were casually strolling in the middle of the street, in the direction of cars, (as if they were strolling in the park), despite the fact that they're was a perfectly good, unused sidewalk right next to them.

Well, let's just stop trying to move society forward and draw attention to important policy issues then, because God forbid it cause you any minor inconveniences.

Once again, protest as much as you want . Don't actively go out of your way to be a nuicense

I would take a group of marching protestors, who actually move their arses as fast as reasonably possible, over any of these idiots any day.

Now I just think you've never seen a real protest march lol

[/quote]
I have actually, in the USA in January/Feburary 2017. The first was opposition to Donald Trump's presidency. They either blocked off none or part of the street (don't remember). This achieved nothing (which was more akin to the fact that they weren't going to overturn the result of an election than their methods of protest). The other was a pro-Calexit #1 protest, where the protestors were psacefully sitting on a tiny part of a large sidewalk, without bothering anyone beyond asking them to sign a petition. There was actually saw a large enough support base borne from this protest. And another one in Australia, where they actually protested properly. They were protesting against dead bodies on display at a museum. These people only took up the footpath, and even left a clear path for pedistrians to use. Nobody knew what the protest was about, entierly because of shitty signage. We tried to read the signs, but had no idea what they were talking about, as all but a few signs were using in-words that the lay person wouldn't understand. Nonetheless, if I remember correctly, they were sucessful. Then a protest in Hyde Park, Sydney, where protestors actively went out their way to avoid disrupting people by trying to move out of their path. They drew attention to themselves by wearing bright yellow shirts. If I remember correctly, they had very few English signs
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:40 pm

The Realm of Platinum wrote:As I said, disrupt the assholes, comrade! Disrupt Adani, not the public (one of the commuters could be an anti-Adani keyboard warrior deluxe)!

This
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Previous

Return to General