NATION

PASSWORD

Cartoonist fired over Politically Incorrect Drawing

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:39 pm

Tekania wrote:Why would they need to clear it up? What benefit is it to them?

It also needs to be noted that this guy technically was not terminated from employment. He (as a business entity) had a contract with the company in question. He is self-employed and the company used his services through contract with his business entity. The company in this case terminated the contract of services with his entity. Being an independent contractor and being an employee are different, legally speaking. But being an independent contractor has benefits in other ways especially in creative sense as you have more control over you own invention, as being under employment tends to make most of the work you do the product of the company rather than you personally.

I think in such a politically charged environment it wouldn't hurt to defuse some tensions.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:25 pm

Tekania wrote:
Vetalia wrote:You know, they could clear this up straight away by giving a reason why he was terminated...otherwise, there's no getting around the optics that make it look like it was politically motivated.

If that's the case that it was politically motivated, this bullshit where people are persecuted for their political views via attacking their employment needs to stop; all that does is create a chilling effect on free speech where everyone is intimidated and walking on eggshells to avoid setting off the wrong person. Political cartoons are supposed to be controversial and thought provoking, even offensive at times to stimulate debate and bring attention to issues.

Why would they need to clear it up? What benefit is it to them?

It also needs to be noted that this guy technically was not terminated from employment. He (as a business entity) had a contract with the company in question. He is self-employed and the company used his services through contract with his business entity. The company in this case terminated the contract of services with his entity. Being an independent contractor and being an employee are different, legally speaking. But being an independent contractor has benefits in other ways especially in creative sense as you have more control over you own invention, as being under employment tends to make most of the work you do the product of the company rather than you personally.

It also needs to be noted that the employer owns and controls all the English-language papers in the province, so it's not like they're going to lose subscriptions unless people want to go without print news. An object lesson in the evils of monopolism. Sinclair is angling for a similar monopoly over local TV news here in the States. This corrput, venal, callous, lawless, feckless administration is not about to stop them either.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:17 am

US-SSR wrote:
Tekania wrote:
Why would they need to clear it up? What benefit is it to them?

It also needs to be noted that the employer owns and controls all the English-language papers in the province, so it's not like they're going to lose subscriptions unless people want to go without print news. An object lesson in the evils of monopolism. Sinclair is angling for a similar monopoly over local TV news here in the States. This corrput, venal, callous, lawless, feckless administration is not about to stop them either.

I'm assuming that what you meant when using the wrong term "the employer" is the company that owns the papers. You should not use "The employer" as they were not an employer of the person in question. The artist was a freelancer and provided cartoons via a freelancing contract they had with the company. There are extremely important and relevant differences between a freelancer and an employee in the context of law. A freelancer does not have many of the rights and protections that employees have while having much more rights and control over their own work and how they go about producing it.
Last edited by Tekania on Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Such heroic nonsense!

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:14 pm

Tekania wrote:
US-SSR wrote:

I'm assuming that what you meant when using the wrong term "the employer" is the company that owns the papers. You should not use "The employer" as they were not an employer of the person in question. The artist was a freelancer and provided cartoons via a freelancing contract they had with the company. There are extremely important and relevant differences between a freelancer and an employee in the context of law. A freelancer does not have many of the rights and protections that employees have while having much more rights and control over their own work and how they go about producing it.

And what would you call someone who employs a freelancer? While we're at it, how much control do Uber drivers have over their own work, other than when they choose to do it? btw nice way to deflect from the entire thrust of the argument, which is about the monopolization of news media, not the employment conditions of journalists.
Last edited by US-SSR on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:13 pm

Arcadian States and Commonwealths wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:In trump america, any and all criticism of the president is a heinous offense. Donald Trump is defending American freedom by taking away freedoms

In other words, I wish we could make George orwell fiction again

Nice try,this happened in Canada

So...Diet America.
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:42 pm

US-SSR wrote:
Tekania wrote:

And what would you call someone who employs a freelancer? While we're at it, how much control do Uber drivers have over their own work, other than when they choose to do it? btw nice way to deflect from the entire thrust of the argument, which is about the monopolization of news media, not the employment conditions of journalists.

One does not "employ" a freelancer, one contracts with a freelancer. If you are putting them in employment then they are not by definition a freelancer.

Uber drivers have plenty of control. They can service areas they want to, choose when they want to be available, own their own vehicles and are free to operate with competitors.

There are other papers than the ones operated by the Irvings. While they operate some of the main papers there they by no means hold a complete monopoly over print in the area. Nor even remotely a complete monopoly over print globally. Nor is Irving the only one he contracts with to supply cartoons for.
Such heroic nonsense!

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:06 am

Ronevass wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Well clearly you are not even trying to be serious.

It's a bit hyperbolic but the premise is still true. Canada occupies a submissive role to her hyper-aggressive and violent neighbor.

Oh yes, I have forgotten all the times the US has threatened to invade Canada the past few years, and how the 49th parallel has essentially become the Korean DMZ :roll:
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:19 am

The cartoonist was “fired” because, as the article says, the newspaper wanted to bring a crowd favorite cartoonist back in favor of him. Also, Kowani, can you name which free speech person is “silent” on this?

TL;DR: Ignore the OP and just look at the article
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:20 am

Highever wrote:
Ronevass wrote:It's a bit hyperbolic but the premise is still true. Canada occupies a submissive role to her hyper-aggressive and violent neighbor.

Oh yes, I have forgotten all the times the US has threatened to invade Canada the past few years, and how the 49th parallel has essentially become the Korean DMZ :roll:

Hey, if anything, Canada has the upper hand in this, they have been the only country in history to burn down the white house you know?
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:22 am

Aureumterra wrote:
Highever wrote:

Hey, if anything, Canada has the upper hand in this, they have been the only country in history to burn down the white house you know?

And they have thoroughly wiped the floor with every American invasion attempt.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:54 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Aclion wrote:Reading the article you posted it look like all parties involved agree that you're lying.

"All parties involved"

By that you mean 1/3 parties. Excellent math.

You mean 2/3. The guy fired and the company both said it didn't have to do with the cartoon. Some random third guy said it did.

Also, Canada doesn't have free speech anyway. Why would I get upset over something they never had?

Highever wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:Hey, if anything, Canada has the upper hand in this, they have been the only country in history to burn down the white house you know?

And they have thoroughly wiped the floor with every American invasion attempt.

You do realize the last actually American invasion was two hundred years ago right? Well before the US became a super power, and funnily enough it was the British Empire, not Canada, that defended Canada from them? Canada didn't even exist at the time.
Last edited by The Emerald Legion on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:17 am

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Highever wrote:And they have thoroughly wiped the floor with every American invasion attempt.

You do realize the last actually American invasion was two hundred years ago right? Well before the US became a super power, and funnily enough it was the British Empire, not Canada, that defended Canada from them? Canada didn't even exist at the time.

r/whooosh
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:18 am

Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:31 am

I actually like that they got fired, but they shouldn't keep being unemployed if that is their talent and there is demand for it. They can perhaps go over to be hired by a Leftist outfit such as TYT. That is where they should be.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:14 pm

Would you want to be harrsssed on social media for association with the company that allegedly fired someone for being anti Trump?
Last edited by Aureumterra on Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:22 pm

Still waiting for OP to be edited
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:41 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
The Emerald Legion wrote:

r/whooosh

Indeed.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:47 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:In trump america, any and all criticism of the president is a heinous offense. Donald Trump is defending American freedom by taking away freedoms

In other words, I wish we could make George orwell fiction again

The hell are you talking about? People talk smack about the guy here all the fucking time, especially the media.

You wanna talk Orwellian fiction? Let's talk about the left wanting to suppress ''hate speech''.
Last edited by Chernoslavia on Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:27 pm

Highever wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:r/whooosh

Indeed.

The initial joke was a joke. Hence why I responded to the elaboration saying 'Canada' has repelled US invasions. Canada didn't exist. It's not a joke. Because a joke would have to be humorous.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General