NATION

PASSWORD

We should make nationstates an app

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Thebomee
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 18, 2016
Father Knows Best State

We should make nationstates an app

Postby Thebomee » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:32 pm

Think about how easy it would be to manage your nation and you could get notifications for issues I think it could be the next big development, thoughts?

Borovan entered the region as he
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Borovan entered the region as he » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:35 pm

I think that is cool but I hate getting notifications
Last edited by Borovan entered the region as he on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UIJ
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 16, 2014
Libertarian Police State

Postby UIJ » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:36 pm

I feel like this has already been brought up and shot down.

Who would develop it?
Who would pay the devs?
Who would put it on an app store?
Who'd have control over it, all that jazz.

An an app wouldn't really be useful when all you have to do is open your browser for 5 seconds.
I am tired of summies :alas:
Pro: you reading my lore and getting kinda sad, maybe a lil glum, then seeing the Hooshers and getting a lil happy, ☣️☢️☣️

Anti: anyone under the age of 20, summies, generic boring nations, super tryhard edgelord nations, NSG, NSGers (all of them)

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:39 pm

I like the idea of an NationStates app. However, this has already been discussed and put down. One person even volunteered to make it by February of last year.

Problem is, you’d have to transfer a lot of data from here, and to do so, you’d need Developers, and who will pay them?

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:49 am

The NS admins have turned down the idea of themselves developing an app every time it has been brought up, due to time constraints (remember all the staff working on this site are volunteers) and (in the case of developing an app for iOS), not wanting to adhere to Apple's guidelines for iOS apps (not to mention that you have to pay to have an app on the Apple App Star).

However, if you're on Android, there are already several unofficial NS apps, most notably Stately, developed by the user Greater Tern.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:24 am

Thebomee wrote:We should make nationstates an app

Go right ahead and make it. [violet] has long since granted permission to talented players to make their own using our API or whatnot. You should probably concentrate on the IOS version, as Gandoor and others have pointed out that the Android versions already exist.

Rossiyaana
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rossiyaana » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:03 pm

So if someone were to devote their time to making an app for IOS, would they be able to ask for small donations on the app to cover Apple’s App Store charge and the time it takes to develop and launch an app? This kind of seems like a gray area as far the existing rules go.

Edit: 99$/year isn’t a lot in the long run, and I have spare time, so the costs aren’t that extreme if I were to try this, however just thought I’d ask.
Last edited by Rossiyaana on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Pacific Order
WA Squad | Legio Pacifica | Culture Committee | Praetorian Guard
Delegate Emeritus of Warzone Europe
Former Speaker of the House and Secretary of Immigration of the Warzone Federation
Warzone Politician of the Year, 2019

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:09 am

Rossiyaana wrote:So if someone were to devote their time to making an app for IOS, would they be able to ask for small donations on the app to cover Apple’s App Store charge and the time it takes to develop and launch an app? This kind of seems like a gray area as far the existing rules go.

Edit: 99$/year isn’t a lot in the long run, and I have spare time, so the costs aren’t that extreme if I were to try this, however just thought I’d ask.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=260044#monetization I wouldn't.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:15 am

Rossiyaana wrote:So if someone were to devote their time to making an app for IOS, would they be able to ask for small donations on the app to cover Apple’s App Store charge and the time it takes to develop and launch an app? This kind of seems like a gray area as far the existing rules go.

Android has a free app.

‘Twould be asking $8.25/month, too. I’m sure many people could afford that, but even if I could, I wouldn’t want to spend so much a month on a game I could use for free by simply opening Safari.

Rossiyaana
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rossiyaana » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:19 am

I’m gonna give it a try, it’ll be a project in the background so don’t expect anything soon. And if anyone wants to get involved in the process let me know.
New Pacific Order
WA Squad | Legio Pacifica | Culture Committee | Praetorian Guard
Delegate Emeritus of Warzone Europe
Former Speaker of the House and Secretary of Immigration of the Warzone Federation
Warzone Politician of the Year, 2019

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:20 am

Rossiyaana wrote:I’m gonna give it a try, it’ll be a project in the background so don’t expect anything soon. And if anyone wants to get involved in the process let me know.

All the best.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical