NATION

PASSWORD

House Holds Panel on Slave Reparations

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:52 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Are you seriously asking why the unconstitutionality of something would matter?

If America is not a democracy, as we keep being told it isn't, then voting doesn't matter in general.

I'm not even sure Evel Knievel could make that jump.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:08 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
If America is not a democracy, as we keep being told it isn't, then voting doesn't matter in general.

Can I buy a pistol from you? I'm gonna need one with all the ridiculousness going on in america

Feds, if you're watching this is a joke. I'm not serious
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:09 pm

America is republic, It represents a democracy in a crude way. The key here is representative government. This is different than democracy in the sense of Athenian democracy where you were rounded up by slaves if you were a citizen and forced to go to the forum. They would tie you up with red dyed ropes to show your shame for not participating.

A very small percentage of the population represents Americans in terms of voting. In a real sense, the right to not participate makes it less democratic in the literal sense. Voting matters because only a select few get to vote because the others are fed propaganda about why it is not necessary or how your politician does not represent you. No local politician should be in office that cannot be approached by their constituents.

Polybius the Roman historian describes the Roman Republic as a mixed constitution with elements of democracy, aristocracy, and monarchy. The United States has a mixed constitution in some ways similar to Rome, it is not a pure democracy in the Athenian sense of being a direct democracty.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:47 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Admit it, we still would watch him try to jump it if he could.

:lol:

Proud Co-Founder of The Axis Commonwealth - Would you like to know more?
SJW! Why? Some nobody on the internet who has never met me accused me of being one, so it absolutely MUST be true! *Nod Nod*

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:"Give me free shit because my ancestor was a slave."

I really hate the current year.

Slavery involved taking shit from people and giving them nothing in return, so it seems apt to repair slavery by giving people shit that by rights was owed to their ancestors.

Are you really owed stuff that belong to distant ancestors though?
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Ordenstaat Burgundy
Envoy

Founded: Jul 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ordenstaat Burgundy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:22 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Slavery involved taking shit from people and giving them nothing in return, so it seems apt to repair slavery by giving people shit that by rights was owed to their ancestors.

Are you really owed stuff that belong to distant ancestors though?

No. I'm sorry, but the whole idea of slavery reparations is patently ridiculous. First off it's not fair to those of us who's ancestors had nothing to do with the slave trade/came over after slavery was abolished to give up part of our livelihood for someone else. Second all it will end up doing is further worsen racial tensions beyond the already strained state they are in.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:24 pm

Don't post in threads that have not had a new post in more than four weeks.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General