NATION

PASSWORD

African-American Cop Says He Was Profiled

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:50 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
The South Falls wrote:And y'all white folks commit more financial crimes than us black folks. Therefore, I get to pat you down when I see you with even a few dollars.

In gross numbers, maybe, but whites are also 62% of the population (and an even larger percentage of those who work in financial services). Too bad the Department of Justice doesn't keep racial statistics for financial crimes, then we could see if you argument holds merit.

Kidder Peabody was brought down by the improprieties of an African-American stockbroker, after all.

Lehman was brought down by dick Fuld's stupidity.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:53 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
In gross numbers, maybe, but whites are also 62% of the population (and an even larger percentage of those who work in financial services). Too bad the Department of Justice doesn't keep racial statistics for financial crimes, then we could see if you argument holds merit.

Kidder Peabody was brought down by the improprieties of an African-American stockbroker, after all.

Lehman was brought down by dick Fuld's stupidity.

That's a complicated case. I've read his memoirs, and while he was arrogant and burned a lot of bridges that could have saved him, Lehman's overexposure to toxic investments wasn't all that exceptional, especially when compared to AIG, Wachovia, or Goldman Sachs. His personal beef with the US Treasury and Goldman Sachs is what did him in.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:55 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Lehman was brought down by dick Fuld's stupidity.

That's a complicated case. I've read his memoirs, and while he was arrogant and burned a lot of bridges that could have saved him, Lehman's overexposure to toxic investments wasn't all that exceptional, especially when compared to AIG, Wachovia, or Goldman Sachs. His personal beef with the US Treasury and Goldman Sachs is what did him in.

Agreed,

" thats one for the Blacks and one for the Whites, Who's Next?"

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:58 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
The South Falls wrote:And y'all white folks commit more financial crimes than us black folks. Therefore, I get to pat you down when I see you with even a few dollars.

Sure, but bernie madoff's began and operated that massive Ponzi scheme that aggravated the effects of 2008 on wealthier people.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:00 am

The South Falls wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Sure, but bernie madoff's began and operated that massive Ponzi scheme that aggravated the effects of 2008 on wealthier people.

We can play games of "what about this case here", but in the absence of racial statistics for financial crimes, we have no way of knowing. I believe white people are over 80% of the financial services industry, and African-Americans are less than 5%, so I'm not sure if you'd even have a large enough sample size to compare them.
Last edited by Bear Stearns on Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:04 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
The South Falls wrote:Sure, but bernie madoff's began and operated that massive Ponzi scheme that aggravated the effects of 2008 on wealthier people.

We can play games of "what about this case here", but in the absence of racial statistics for financial crimes, we have no way of knowing. I believe white people are over 80% of the financial services industry, and African-Americans are less than 5%, so I'm not sure if you'd even have a large enough sample size to compare them.

This would be because of the further opportunities generally offered to those who are white. The reverse could and should be said about the proposed murder rates. There are many other explanations.

And none of them justify slamming a guy to a wall because he has cash. What does murder have to do with cash?
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:04 am

Fartsniffage wrote:Question. Are there laws in the US about how much cash people can carry?

Nope, if there was there would be some kind of fucking guidance on whether or not the police were allowed to take your shit. Good thing they had a receipt handy otherwise it's civil asset forfeiture time and the state gets to exact a spontaneous tax on some unfortunate motherfucker. See in civil asset forfeiture the property is presumed guilty the moment an officer decides it's suspicious, and if you want to do something about it you have to prove it's yours and do it quick like if it's non-fungible cause they're selling that shit before you're charged with anything.

The police insist this is an important tool to combat drug dealers and the like but oddly enough this seems to hit quite a few people who never get charged with a crime hundreds and hundreds a year in Michigan alone.

I don't know if this was racist. Nothing really stands out about it from any other fucked up case of a cop deciding money was suspicious. The amount is substantially greater than in many cases of asset forfeiture and the circumstances are stranger than most. Whether or not it's racist it highlights a horrible, horrible aspect of our justice system.
Last edited by Des-Bal on Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:08 am

Des-Bal wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Question. Are there laws in the US about how much cash people can carry?

Nope, if there was there would be some kind of fucking guidance on whether or not the police were allowed to take your shit. Good thing they had a receipt handy otherwise it's civil asset forfeiture time and the state gets to exact a spontaneous tax on some unfortunate motherfucker. See in civil asset forfeiture the property is presumed guilty the moment an officer decides it's suspicious, and if you want to do something about it you have to prove it's yours and do it quick like if it's non-fungible cause they're selling that shit before you're charged with anything.

The police insist this is an important tool to combat drug dealers and the like but oddly enough this seems to hit quite a few people who never get charged with a crime hundreds and hundreds a year in Michigan alone.

I don't know if this was racist. Nothing really stands out about it from any other fucked up case of a cop deciding money was suspicious. The amount is substantially greater than in many cases of asset forfeiture and the circumstances are stranger than most. Whether or not it's racist it highlights a horrible, horrible aspect of our justice system.

This is where I come too. I dont know if its racist because of the nature of civil forfeiture laws and detriots history of abuse of them. The cop could have been a racist asshole saying "I am going to get this nigger", or he could have just been an asshole without the racism trying to impress the brass. And if you look at the commissioners response, it could have been either way. That said either way it's a horrible look for the Detroit PD, and people should be fired for it, including the commissioner of police.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:10 am

The South Falls wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

This would be because of the further opportunities generally offered to those who are white. The reverse could and should be said about the proposed murder rates. There are many other explanations.

Why? Are you saying black people have greater opportunities to murder?

Not to mention, unlike financial crimes, we actually have reliable statistics for race and homicide, and can make informed judgements as a result. The evidence shows that black people do indeed commit homicide at eight times the rate of whites, which is frankly alarming.
Last edited by Bear Stearns on Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:33 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
The South Falls wrote:This would be because of the further opportunities generally offered to those who are white. The reverse could and should be said about the proposed murder rates. There are many other explanations.

Not to mention, unlike financial crimes, we actually have reliable statistics for race and homicide, and can make informed judgements as a result. The evidence shows that black people do indeed commit homicide at eight times the rate of whites, which is frankly alarming.

No, I'm saying the lack of opportunities puts people in situations where they turn to murder. And what I have stated is the primary cause of it. It's not like black people have the genes of murder or something insane like that.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:35 am

The South Falls wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

No, I'm saying the lack of opportunities puts people in situations where they turn to murder. And what I have stated is the primary cause of it. It's not like black people have the genes of murder or something insane like that.

Does poverty really explain a murder rate of eight times though? The poorest place in America is Appalachia, which has a murder rate below the national average.

Poverty can explain some murders (murders committed during a robbery, drug deal, etc.), but it doesn't explain wanton acts of aggression or killing over personal grudges.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:42 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
Does poverty really explain a murder rate of eight times though? The poorest place in America is Appalachia, which has a murder rate below the national average.

Poverty can explain some murders (murders committed during a robbery, drug deal, etc.), but it doesn't explain wanton acts of aggression or killing over personal grudges.

Appalachia has a tiny population density and is not a place where crime is especially viable as a means of survival. Personal and spontaneous murders go up in areas where drug dealing and robbery are common because, apart from population density, these crimes help create a class of people for whom violence is a normal and necessary thing.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:58 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
The South Falls wrote:No, I'm saying the lack of opportunities puts people in situations where they turn to murder. And what I have stated is the primary cause of it. It's not like black people have the genes of murder or something insane like that.

Detroit, Chicago, south and east sides across America are places people have left behind entirely. Those places hold much less white than black people due to the successive effects of redlining practices, property values are low and very few stores move there. People are poor, man. People get swept up by gangs because that's the only way they can eat. Some get out, some don't. Those who don't make up those murders. And anyway, what does this have to do. Some dude with some money, not a gun. This behavior is completely unwarranted.
Last edited by The South Falls on Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:35 pm

So far NBC hasn't made any update stories about the investigation not sure if its been dropped or its not news worthy anymore.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:45 pm

Aeritai wrote:So far NBC hasn't made any update stories about the investigation not sure if its been dropped or its not news worthy anymore.

It's no surprise this story wouldn't be considered newsworthy when police brutality that takes a person's life happens all the time. This story is the equivalent of a high school kid bringing an airsoft gun to school while mass shootings happen every few weeks.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Reru Tanda
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Reru Tanda » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 pm

Reru Tanda wrote:So what I'm getting is that you get treated a certain way just because your skin is a different color? Just because someone has a skin color that is not the same as yours doesn't mean you can make them do your work that you're to lazy to do, or in modern cases, boss them around and be a dick to them because people with skin color A have more rights than skin color B. And these days, especially in public schooling, racism is just getting worse. You could have a problem with someone of a different race because they are rude to you, and somehow YOU are the racist one??? I personally hope that someday, racism will end and people of all races can just live in peace, but I'm very concerned that this may not happen, but continue to escelate. Who else agrees with me? Make sure you are not racist! If you find out that you are, do anything in your power to change that.
Minecraft is better than Fortnite.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General