NATION

PASSWORD

Comcast broke the law 445,000 times to inflate bills

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:35 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Comcast’s horrid business practices predate NN and Title II. They’ve been a shit company for a decade or so, before net neutrality. They were shit with net neutrality in place.

NN and Title II cut them off from a particular avenue of being shitty.

It's loss is major blow to consumers.

Comcast was being shitty with net neutrality in place. They were shitty before too. Like I said, I’ve been hearing nightmarish accounts about them for a decade or so.

As valid as NN and Title II are as topics of discussion, when it comes to this particular ISP, the issue boils down to how messed up their business practices are. It would be great to discuss how to change those for the good of consumers that often don’t have much of an alternative when it comes to ISPs.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:38 am

Telconi wrote:
Yes, Title II violations have absolutely nothing to do with Title II... they just happen, randomly, out of the blue. Completely independent of the law in which they're punishing people for violating.

Please, you may have horrible beliefs, but at least support them sensibly.

Easy way to prevent that, don't break the law. Title II doesn't fire anyone.

My beliefs are that corporations are not to be trusted and need to be regulated. When they do greedy shit like breaking the law 445,000 times, they should be punished. Not treating all data as equal is a greedy move.

Where's the easy part?

I'm fully aware of what your beliefs are.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:48 am

Telconi wrote:
Easy way to prevent that, don't break the law. Title II doesn't fire anyone.

My beliefs are that corporations are not to be trusted and need to be regulated. When they do greedy shit like breaking the law 445,000 times, they should be punished. Not treating all data as equal is a greedy move.

Where's the easy part?

Why it's simple.

Don't break the law. Don't treat data differently. Do treat all data as the same.

Don't be greedy dicks and increase the price of the same service you were offering before under a different name creating an so called "Fast lane".

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
NN and Title II cut them off from a particular avenue of being shitty.

It's loss is major blow to consumers.

Comcast was being shitty with net neutrality in place. They were shitty before too. Like I said, I’ve been hearing nightmarish accounts about them for a decade or so.

As valid as NN and Title II are as topics of discussion, when it comes to this particular ISP, the issue boils down to how messed up their business practices are. It would be great to discuss how to change those for the good of consumers that often don’t have much of an alternative when it comes to ISPs.

Yes, the way to do that would be by regulation. NN being a positive example of such regulation. Before that is the Trump administration took it away.
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:52 am

Telconi wrote:
Where's the easy part?

Why it's simple.

Don't break the law. Don't treat data differently. Do treat all data as the same.

Don't be greedy dicks and increase the price of the same service you were offering before under a different name creating an so called "Fast lane".

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Yes, the way to do that would be by regulation. NN being a positive example of such regulation. Before that is the Trump administration took it away.

Derps, NN was not preventing Comcast from using their shitty practices to inflate bills. NN most definitely had its benefits and I was rather angry it was repealed, but controlling CC’s fast and lose business practices wasn’t one of those.

Prosecuting CC for those 445,000 felonies is a good step.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:55 am

Telconi wrote:
Where's the easy part?

Why it's simple.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

No, it isn't. Title II says a hell of a lot more than "Don't throttle Derp's pony cartoons" It's a complex series of laws that are sometimes contradictory and always confusing. And you expect a worker who makes a smidge more than minimum wage to correctly navigate said law, or face steep, possibly career ending penalties because you can't be assed to fix it.

That is greed.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:15 am

Telconi wrote:

Why it's simple.

No, it isn't. Title II says a hell of a lot more than "Don't throttle Derp's pony cartoons"

There you go again with the straw man fallacy. Thinking that i'm just protesting this removal of a consumer protecting law beacuse a show I like is being throttled.

I'm not even in the US, so it doesn't effect me. But I still hate the fact that US based ISPs can now legally fuck people over in this one avenue.

I can not just sit idly by and let my neighbors get fucked over.

Telconi wrote: It's a complex series of laws that are sometimes contradictory and always confusing. And you expect a worker who makes a smidge more than minimum wage to correctly navigate said law, or face steep, possibly career ending penalties because you can't be assed to fix it.

That is greed.

I expect that worker to have that field covered to them in training.

Besides, it's not targeting those workers, it's targeting the people at the top who think up new and innovative ways to fuck over the consumer for money. For an example of the people at the top fucking the consumers for money, the 445,000 times they provided a law breaking "service" in Washington state is a good example.

That is the greed going on here.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Why it's simple.

Derps, NN was not preventing Comcast from using their shitty practices to inflate bills. NN most definitely had its benefits and I was rather angry it was repealed, but controlling CC’s fast and lose business practices wasn’t one of those.

It wasn't but it was preventing another way the guys at the top could fuck over the consumers.

Yes, but the fine was much too small.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:31 am

Telconi wrote:
No, it isn't. Title II says a hell of a lot more than "Don't throttle Derp's pony cartoons"

There you go again with the straw man fallacy. Thinking that i'm just protesting this removal of a consumer protecting law beacuse a show I like is being throttled.

I'm not even in the US, so it doesn't effect me. But I still hate the fact that US based ISPs can now legally fuck people over in this one avenue.

I can not just sit idly by and let my neighbors get fucked over.

Telconi wrote: It's a complex series of laws that are sometimes contradictory and always confusing. And you expect a worker who makes a smidge more than minimum wage to correctly navigate said law, or face steep, possibly career ending penalties because you can't be assed to fix it.

That is greed.

I expect that worker to have that field covered to them in training.

Besides, it's not targeting those workers, it's targeting the people at the top who think up new and innovative ways to fuck over the consumer for money. For an example of the people at the top fucking the consumers for money, the 445,000 times they provided a law breaking "service" in Washington state is a good example.

That is the greed going on here.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

It wasn't but it was preventing another way the guys at the top could fuck over the consumers.

Yes, but the fine was much too small.

And yet you continue advocating for people to get fucked over. Why not fix it? Why not implement service neutrality laws independent of the other gorillion pages of needless regulatory pitfalls?

Of course, and people never forget anything, or make mistakes?

The laws don't target anyone, you think it's the rich investors out on the golf course catching flak when some guy files the wrong form because he's eleven hours into a thirteen hour shift and is more worried about any of the various other things he has to worry about than some bullahit unnecessary regulation? No, it's him losing his job.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:36 am

Telconi wrote:

Why it's simple.

No, it isn't. Title II says a hell of a lot more than "Don't throttle Derp's pony cartoons" It's a complex series of laws that are sometimes contradictory and always confusing. And you expect a worker who makes a smidge more than minimum wage to correctly navigate said law, or face steep, possibly career ending penalties because you can't be assed to fix it.

That is greed.

Telephone repairmen seem to do ok.

Unless internet repairmen are basically subpar compared to telephone workers.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:38 am

Galloism wrote:
Telconi wrote:

That is greed.

Telephone repairmen seem to do ok.

It's a different service, telephone is essentially binary. You either do or don't have telephone service. Internet is much less so.
Last edited by Telconi on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:44 am

Telconi wrote:
Galloism wrote:Telephone repairmen seem to do ok.

It's a different service, telephone is essentially binary. You either do or don't have telephone service. Internet is much less so.

I mean, telephone service also has quality of service considerations - it can be scratchy, off tone, all sorts of other things that may make it difficult but not impossible to communicate.

This isn't unlike internet service.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:55 am

Galloism wrote:
Telconi wrote:

I mean, telephone service also has quality of service considerations - it can be scratchy, off tone, all sorts of other things that may make it difficult but not impossible to communicate.

It does have quality of service considerations, however the methodology by which that's measured is far more forgiving for telephone. It's also arguably more technically complex to create equivalent service quality for IP.
Last edited by Telconi on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:57 am

Telconi wrote:
Galloism wrote:I mean, telephone service also has quality of service considerations - it can be scratchy, off tone, all sorts of other things that may make it difficult but not impossible to communicate.

It does have quality of service considerations, however the methodology by which that's measured is far more forgiving for telephone. It's also arguably more technically complex to create equivalent service quality for IP.

I don't know that that's true - after all, when the FCC originally put internet under Title II, it also made a bunch of waivers on things and a blanket statement regarding actions to improve quality of service being able to deviate from said regulations.

In essence, you're saying that telephone workers are better than you at creating networks. I think you sell yourselves short.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:59 am

Galloism wrote:
Telconi wrote:

I don't know that that's true - after all, when the FCC originally put internet under Title II, it also made a bunch of waivers on things and a blanket statement regarding actions to improve quality of service being able to deviate from said regulations.

In essence, you're saying that telephone workers are better than you at creating networks. I think you sell yourselves short.

It's the same network.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:02 am

Telconi wrote:
Galloism wrote:I don't know that that's true - after all, when the FCC originally put internet under Title II, it also made a bunch of waivers on things and a blanket statement regarding actions to improve quality of service being able to deviate from said regulations.

It's the same network.

Then it should be easy.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General