NATION

PASSWORD

What would God have to do to convince YOU of His existence?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20716
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

What would God have to do to convince YOU of His existence?

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 24, 2019 8:00 am

For arguments sake, let's say that God exists and everything wlse is the same. Let's say that religious people are correct and there exists an interventionist higher power. We're not discussing whether or not it exists, save that for [https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=457461&start=6100]appropriate thread[/url], for arguments sake, let's assume that God, or equivilant higher power, does exist. Which God? Doesn't matter, any God. This is also not a thread to discuss God's benevolence or lack there of. Once again, different thread. I speak from a Christian viewpoint as I am Christian, but it cpuld apply to any higher power.

Okay, so God exists. What can He do to prove this to you?

"He can reveal it in some way to me" well if that is enough to convince, then you can't dismiss anyone else's experiences of God as false

"People half way round the world would know the world would encounter an experience of someone called 'Yeshua', someone that they've never heard of". There would be very few literate people in the world today who haven't heard of Jesus, and of those few, there would be even fewer whose records would be known to the public (for example, you would have no method of reading my journals). And this is all just assuming that someone would write down these experiences in the first place. Considering in my other thread you dismissed the Muslim guy who had a dream about Jesus telling him that Christianity is the correct faith, and you dismissed it based on the assertion that Muslims have heard of Jesus, then this would eliminate every person literate or illeterate, who has heard of Jesus. And this is before we even consider people who are too afraid to reveal their experiences, because of persecution. "'Yoshua' could have appeared to an ancient person from a litterate society who had never heard of Him"- most ancient people were illerate, despite living in literate societies, and even then, many, many ancient records have been lost, once again, assuming that it was written down in the first place

"He could place 'x' amount of money in my bank account" yes, yes, very funny

"'X' culture would believe in a story similar to that of Jesus". Well we already have over 600 flood stories, and they're all dismissed as coincidences, so considering that, why would a, say, South American story of a reserected man born to a virgin not be considered a considence?

So, given all that, assuming that He exists, what would God have to do to convince you that He exists. What specific action/which specific words would have to take/say in order to convince you, (insert your name here), that He exists?

I already believe i n the existence of an interventionist God, so this question is moot for me. If you would like to find out my reasoning for believing in God, please check out the OP of the linked thread

This could apply to any God, not just the Christian. Quite francly, 'which' God is irrelevant. Any god. How can any god convince you of its existence?
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
17 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution List of NPC Nations
This account is fictious. Any In-Character posts made by this account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

User avatar
Mestovakia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 568
Founded: Mar 10, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Mestovakia » Fri May 24, 2019 8:03 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Snip


Jesus said to him, "Again, it is written,
‘You shall not test the Lord, your God.’"
Matthew 4:7
Last edited by Mestovakia on Fri May 24, 2019 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A m e n r i a
Minister
 
Posts: 3435
Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby A m e n r i a » Fri May 24, 2019 8:04 am

Nothing. I know for a fact He does. Where do you think all those miracles and punishments came from, aliens?
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)


Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future, Amenria reflects the prosperity that would be brought about by a real, modernist, Islamic government.


Save yourselves from yourselves.

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20716
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 24, 2019 8:12 am

Mestovakia wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Snip


Jesus said to him, "Again, it is written,
‘You shall not test the Lord, your God.’"
Matthew 4:7

But I am not testing Him, as said I already believe that He exists. I am asking you how you would be convinced by God. This is a thought experiement to get you to think of what you believe in. This is not the process of me asking for proof. Your out-of-context Bible verse will not hide your cop-out answer, and will not shield your unwillingness to answer the question
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri May 24, 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
17 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution List of NPC Nations
This account is fictious. Any In-Character posts made by this account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

User avatar
Kustonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 582
Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kustonia » Fri May 24, 2019 8:15 am

God has already proven his existence through nature and through the universe. It's called General Revelation in theological terms.
I'm a National Syndicalist, Traditionalist, White Nationalist
Pro: Nationalism, Socialism, Collectivism, Fascism, Nativism, Essentialism, Pluralism, Synocracy
Anti: Capitalism, Communism, Individualism, Liberalism, Multiculturalism, Modernity, Egalitarianism, Democracy
Favorite Philosophers/Theoreticians: Plato, Julius Evola, Ernst Jünger, Oswald Spengler, Carl Schmitt, Aleksandr Dugin, Alain De Benoist, Georges Sorel
Democracy is a pathetic belief in the equal wisdom of individual ignorance.

User avatar
The Brytish Isles
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 148
Founded: Mar 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Brytish Isles » Fri May 24, 2019 8:17 am

Show up and announce his supposed existence? It’s really that simple.
Doesn’t mean I’d worship him or whatever. If anything, given more justification, I’d become misotheistic.

Edit: Actually, my misotheism depends. The Abrahamic deity is most likely to receive my contempt, but the Shintō and European pagan deities less so.
Last edited by The Brytish Isles on Fri May 24, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
Make America Great Britain Again
Overview | Profiles | Templates | Embassy | Politics

| National Report | “Beautiful Albion” programme aimed at decreasing pollution, cleaning litter and renovating inhabited areas to go ahead, says Westminster correspondent. // Polish Crown Prince Konstanty announces birth of son, both mother and child “in good health.” // Prime Minister White-Patel and Austrian counterpart Leopold Mayr expected to meet in Vienna on Monday to discuss furthering Austro-Brytish ties.

User avatar
LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6945
Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri May 24, 2019 8:18 am

God would have to show himself to the world directly for me to believe, and do something that is scientifically impossible.
China Lied, People Died.
Anti-imperialism is really code for anti-west.
Not to be confused with Novus America! We are NOT the same player.

User avatar
Herzegovenia
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 184
Founded: Aug 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Herzegovenia » Fri May 24, 2019 8:24 am

If it revealed itself through a “conference call” of sorts to everyone at once, addressing how it indeed isn’t all powerful and/or all good, who it really is, and what the real rules are, that’d be pretty hard to deny, eh?

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 105766
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri May 24, 2019 8:26 am

A really good day at Belmont Race Track would do.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43132
Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Fri May 24, 2019 8:26 am

Some kind of PERSONAL religious experience would have to happen. You say that this means we can't doubt other people's experiences of God, but people have experienced religious revelations apparently validating a whole number of belief systems, and yet the scriptures and doctrines of said religions usually deny the totality of all experiences contradictory to their position as false.

All in all, this ain't a "checkmate atheists" moment.
Last edited by Dumb Ideologies on Fri May 24, 2019 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tʜᴇ Sᴛʀᴀssᴇʀɪsᴛ Sᴜɴᴅᴀᴇ Cʟᴜʙ ᴏғ Dᴜᴍʙ Iᴅᴇᴏʟᴏɢɪᴇs
¸„¤*˜*¤„¸„¤*˜*¤„¸ To culture war! The cause of and solution to all of life's problems ¸„¤*˜*¤„¸„¤*˜*¤„¸
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane ~ Marcus Aurelius
♆ P ᴀ x D I ᴀ ʙ ᴏ ʟ ɪ ᴄ ᴀ ♆

User avatar
Germanyt
Secretary
 
Posts: 37
Founded: Jan 31, 2019
Capitalizt

Postby Germanyt » Fri May 24, 2019 8:28 am

Evidence
Metaphysics: Objective Reality
Epistemology: Reason
Ethics: Rational Egoism
Politics: Capitalism
mostly straight

User avatar
Des-Bal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 29632
Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Des-Bal » Fri May 24, 2019 8:28 am

Write me a letter in front of witnesses to verify I'm not just insane.

A m e n r i a wrote:Nothing. I know for a fact He does. Where do you think all those miracles and punishments came from, aliens?

People seeking patterns and making up stories.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 140517
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ifreann » Fri May 24, 2019 8:34 am

I could be convinced that an entity possessed "supernatural" powers by seeing it do verifiably impossible things. I don't think that anything could convince me that that entity is the specific supreme deity of some religion, nor that it created the universe, because I can't think of any evidence that could possibly support such a claim.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Regular Thorough Handwashing For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Mask Wearing That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Social Distancing
He/Him

You've got a lonesome road to walk, and it ain't along the railroad track, and it ain't along the black-top tar you walked a hundred times before.
I'll tell you where the real road lies: between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to paradise, likewise the road to ruin.

User avatar
Donutlia
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 19
Founded: May 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Donutlia » Fri May 24, 2019 8:35 am

Well he could at least have the decency to introduce himself. As far as dismissing other people's claims, I'm not bothered by their belief in God. I think it is genetically embedded in the human psyche and will basically have to be fulfilled one way or the other.
"Do you think that God stays in heaven because he too lives in fear of what he has created?" -Spy Kids 2

User avatar
Zetaopalatopia
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 13
Founded: Aug 19, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Zetaopalatopia » Fri May 24, 2019 8:38 am

For the Christian god I'll believe when I see the rapture and the horsemen fall upon the world. For mythological gods, seeing a creature from their mythos in the wild, or the gods themselves as they have been known to appear before mortals with much greater frequency than their mono theistic counterpart.

User avatar
An Alan Smithee Nation
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5414
Founded: Apr 18, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Fri May 24, 2019 8:41 am

Just personally announce their existence simultaneously on all and every form of media from tv, radio, bill boards, internet, email, mobile phones.
Everything is intertwinkled

User avatar
Marxist Germany
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1975
Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Corporate Bordello

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri May 24, 2019 8:45 am

He has already revealed himself to me through the Holy Spirit.
Country represents RL views mostly. Not Marxist anymore.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Ex-delegate of The United Federations; citizen and ex-Senior Senator of 10000 Islands | Gaming User#0721(Discord)
RP name: Germany
The National Factbook (WIP)
Ambassador Klaus Schmidt
Political Compass
Pro:Laissez-faire, Cultural Nationalism, Guns, Free speech, Christianity, United Ireland.
Anti:"Progressivism", Abortion, Transgenderism, Socialism, Interventionism, Mass-migration.

User avatar
Highever
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1912
Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 8:55 am

Show itself and do something to demonstrate that it is in fact s diety. Preferably in front of a large crowd.
Last edited by Highever on Fri May 24, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

User avatar
Skyhooked
Senator
 
Posts: 3936
Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Skyhooked » Fri May 24, 2019 9:08 am

Appear, turn into a hot lass and do a can can dance. Flawlessly. And then provide me with lots of cheap but tasty booze. Oh... and while he is still here. He should tell me what does he think of the Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Paganism and Atheism.

Also tell me where will I go when I die. (Hope this is Valhalla)

And show a few tricks to a large crowd at Khreshchatyk, like reviving dead, feeding all Kiev people with five fishes, two breads, and one varenyk. And turn some water into vodka. Then do a water walk Jesus style on a Dnieper river, so the crowd will see and enjoy the show.

At the end, he should say "I love ya' all!"

Any deity is capable of all those feats. Or I think so...

Nope, I am not drunk. And not serious either. Just partially kidding. I live in Kiev, so that explains my pick of the place.
(If seriously, show that he has godlike power. To the other people too... preferebly, so they won't have to pick their religion anymore.)
Last edited by Skyhooked on Fri May 24, 2019 9:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Skyhooked is MT/PMT with a few FT elements. Military is factbook only. NS stats are mostly non canon.
If you wanna know more about this haven of sin: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=418281&start=1

Our country offers: Alcohol, guns, cigars, weed, gambling, beaches and tons of souvenirs. And our current special: PL-74 Plasma rifle 25% discount!


Refreshing News:
Shawn Bjornson officially proclaims, that Vicarius Dei Edgar, who oppressed our people for 25 years, was a heretic, and thus, we shall let our old grudges go and officially forgive christianity! Even before this, we let them have equal right and opportunities and freedom from all and any discrimination, because our cause demanded it! But now, it's because we truly feel that way!

User avatar
Tetradimensional Overworld
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 140
Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Fri May 24, 2019 9:25 am

Favoring a religious group above all others in history
IC name: Greater Aecinov Republic | Maxovikt Aečinov Valtarzurthr
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

User avatar
Alvecia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19487
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Fri May 24, 2019 9:27 am

Some actual evidence would be a nice start.

The real question is what would he have to do to convince me he's a god. That I don't know.
British
Atheist
IT Support
That there is no exception to the rule "There is an exception to every rule" is the exception that proves the rule.
---
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll stop asking you to catch his fish.
That's not happening
That shouldn't be happening
Why is that happening?
That's why it's happening?
How has this ever worked?

User avatar
Tetradimensional Overworld
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 140
Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Fri May 24, 2019 9:27 am

Alvecia wrote:Some actual evidence would be a nice start.

The real question is what would he have to do to convince me he's a god. That I don't know.

Break the laws of physics that he created on his own. That'll convince people
IC name: Greater Aecinov Republic | Maxovikt Aečinov Valtarzurthr
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

User avatar
Donutlia
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 19
Founded: May 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Donutlia » Fri May 24, 2019 9:29 am

Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:Favoring a religious group above all others in history

"Da joos" incoming.
"Do you think that God stays in heaven because he too lives in fear of what he has created?" -Spy Kids 2

User avatar
Alvecia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19487
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Fri May 24, 2019 9:31 am

Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:
Alvecia wrote:Some actual evidence would be a nice start.

The real question is what would he have to do to convince me he's a god. That I don't know.

Break the laws of physics that he created on his own. That'll convince people

How would we be able to tell that the laws of physics have actually been broken?
For all we know there are as of yet unknown factors that could shift our understanding of the universe entirely.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology", and all that....
British
Atheist
IT Support
That there is no exception to the rule "There is an exception to every rule" is the exception that proves the rule.
---
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll stop asking you to catch his fish.
That's not happening
That shouldn't be happening
Why is that happening?
That's why it's happening?
How has this ever worked?

User avatar
Czechoeuropa
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 49
Founded: Apr 21, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Czechoeuropa » Fri May 24, 2019 9:34 am

Smite a crowd of sinners.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ammostan, Cannot think of a name, Cordel One, Eurasies, Everhall, Kowani, Lanoraie II, Narvatus, Necroghastia, Nobel Hobos 2, Ranoria, Region of Dwipantara, Shrillland, The Alma Mater, The Black Forrest, The Champions League, The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile, The United Confederacy of Texas, Uiiop

Advertisement

Remove ads